Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I thought I would end up wishing for an f/1.4 35mm lens when I bought the f/2.8 version, but the f/2.8 is such a good lens in a small, light package and the A7S is so good in low light that I'm quite happy with it and don't really have much of an urge to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

powderific posted:

Ughhh, I rented a Ricoh GR and I love the images and size so much, but it's autofocus feels like something from a $150 P&S from five years ago.

Upgrading to the latest firmware helps, and changing it to center focus helps more.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So this thing LX100, its a Point and Shoot with a 43 sensor. I don't know what else to call it except a "P&S" even though I think there should be a new name/category for it. And I think we should discuss it here simply because all the potential buyers are in this thread.

EVF
2.2:1 chop ratio
24-75mm equivalent f/1.8-2.8 lens
rumored list price $899

I need a actual photo of this next to a X30 and a X100S to make up my mind on this camera.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I like it, but at that size/price it seems like I can just get a NEX although I'd miss out on the manual controls.

edit: The G7X would be interesting if it too had an EVF

rawrr fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 15, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dpreview has the preview up.

Its actually a lot larger on the side. Now I think its pretty much as bulky as the Canon G1X 2

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Costello Jello posted:

Upgrading to the latest firmware helps, and changing it to center focus helps more.

Wow, that did make a huge difference. Too bad I have to return the rental today—I'd like to see if I could live with it. Before the upgrade there was no way at all, but now I might be OK with it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

whatever7 posted:

Dpreview has the preview up.

Its actually a lot larger on the side. Now I think its pretty much as bulky as the Canon G1X 2

DPreview says it's sized somewhere between the RX100 and the G1X Mk2.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

DPreview says it's sized somewhere between the RX100 and the G1X Mk2.

My definition of a small camera is passing the "jeans pocket" test.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Question: how much cheaper do older versions of cameras get when new models come out? More specifically, now that the X100T is out, what kind of price drop is expected for the X100S?

Based on some searching around, a used X100 sells for about 600-700, X100S are going for ~800-1000.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I sold my X100 for $700 or so back when the X100S came out, so I wouldn't expect prices to drop too much.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

Most people here buy almost exclusively used, because lenses and bodies last almost forever if even slightly cared for, and the price used is usually a lot cheaper than new.

On Sony, they release 2 lenses, 6 bodies, and 1 firmware update total each year, so people use adapted lenses and just work around the strange quirks of the system.

Interesting, naive of me I guess but I really didn't think second-hand cameras would be a thing besides collectibles.

Cheers mate.

Ta, will look into these a bit more. I haven't really started researching the compact I'm getting yet, the RX came highly recommended so is my starting point.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Got my 45 1.8 in the mail today. I'm a bit sick today so I won't get to mess with it tonight. But I snapped a few shots of the hounds and I love it so far, the 17 just went on my must have list.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

whatever7 posted:

So this thing LX100, its a Point and Shoot with a 43 sensor. I don't know what else to call it except a "P&S" even though I think there should be a new name/category for it. And I think we should discuss it here simply because all the potential buyers are in this thread.

EVF
2.2:1 chop ratio
24-75mm equivalent f/1.8-2.8 lens
rumored list price $899

I need a actual photo of this next to a X30 and a X100S to make up my mind on this camera.

LX100 v. X30
LX100 v. X100T

It actually looks smaller than both the fujis apart from the size of the lens.

This is the camera I was hoping the X30 would be. Apart from the price.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The LX100 is really shaping up to be a great second camera to pair with my X-T1. Particularly since I don't own any zoom lenses for it yet. In fact, I think the LX100 has a slightly faster equivalent aperture than the Fuji 18-55mm. I'm glad I held of buying the RX100 when it first came out.

Now that I'm thinking of rounding out the rest of my lens collection for my X-T1, I'm starting to think I would rather not trade my 23mm for the 56mm. Instead, I'm thinking of getting the 55-210mm. It's a pity that they're is no indication that the is going to be a weather-sealed version of that lens since that 50-140mm f/2.8 looks incredibly big and expensive. Speaking of big and expensive weather-sealed lenses, a prototype of the 140-400mm f/4-5.6 super-telephoto was shown off.
http://www.fujirumors.com/first-image-of-the-140-400-prototype-shown-at-photokina/
:stare:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Just when I'm thinking about ditching Fuji's interchangeable lenses to go back to the X100 line, these images come out. I want both (16mm f1.4 and 90mm f2).

http://www.fujirumors.com/first-images-of-the-xf-16mm-f1-4-90mm-f2-live-fujirumors-window-to-photokina

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I am skeptical that the LX100 is really going to have any better image quality than the excellent RX100III already has, despite the sensor. Also, the RX100's are truly pocketable. http://camerasize.com/compare/#569,555

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
In between the new Sony announcements and lack of stabilisation on the Fuji 16-55, Sony miiiight just keep my business.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I'm an oly fan, for now, but the X-T1 is a beautiful camera, sadly it comes at a pretty steep price.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Known innovators Leica have finally answered all of our wishes and released a digital camera without one of those annoying LCD screens to get in the way of your art.

It should go great with their new all mechanical M rangefinder camera that lacks any electronics, including a meter, in tyool 2014. I believe it's part of their "You should probably buy a vintage M3 you dummy" collection.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Leica posted:

Photographers can read the shutter speed and aperture directly from the camera and lens and so concentrate fully on their subject.

Or they could just look through a viewfinder with that stuff overlaid and not have to look back and forth.

A part of me really likes the concept of a camera in tyool 2014 that doesn't have a bunch of electronic poo poo that can easily break and be difficult to repair, but then Leica goes and does it and it seems like a bad idea. Maybe it's my Leica bias kicking in, but probably not. There *is* a lot of poo poo in here:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh, mechanical poo poo can and will easily break too, and then it requires an actual professional to reset the gears and timing mechanisms. Even ignoring that, often fully mechanical stuff will lose accuracy over time until it's reset because the parts just wear and get old.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Modern Leica film rangefinders are mechanical but have a built-in meter so if the meter/battery dies you're still holding a fully functional camera. There's no good reason to exclude it entirely except for ~nostalgia~

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, mechanical poo poo can and will easily break too, and then it requires an actual professional to reset the gears and timing mechanisms. Even ignoring that, often fully mechanical stuff will lose accuracy over time until it's reset because the parts just wear and get old.

yeah, congratulations on making a bullet proof housing around a piece of tech that is going to inevitably go obsolete even if it's just sitting on your shelf all year.

That's the thing I don't get, if there was some upgrade plan for Leica bodies that meant you could swap out the sensor and guts every 4 years for half the price of buying an all new camera then I'd be all about having a rock solid mechanical device. But it's not like the LCD was ever the failure point on a DSLR. Sure you'll get better battery life, but it's at the expense of all of the great things you can use an LCD for...

ever wanted to show more than 1 person the photos you just took? gently caress off.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Yall forgetting who this camera is made for (no one on this forums). And iirc they are making 600 of them. Its basically a dickwaving look at me camera. Cool concept to get back to shutting up and taking photos and not getting caught up staring at your historgram getting angry you didnt ettr :snoop:

Cool concept, bad execution, the leica way.

This and the DF are cameras that should come with tumblr-style trigger warnings when mentioned on the interwebs.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MMD3 posted:

half the price of buying an all new camera

you're new to leica aren't you?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
If I had too much money, I'd get one of those no-lcd Leicas. Ya'll are a bunch of chimping wussies in here!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Musket posted:

Yall forgetting who this camera is made for (no one on this forums). And iirc they are making 600 of them. Its basically a dickwaving look at me camera. Cool concept to get back to shutting up and taking photos and not getting caught up staring at your historgram getting angry you didnt ettr :snoop:

Cool concept, bad execution, the leica way.

This and the DF are cameras that should come with tumblr-style trigger warnings when mentioned on the interwebs.

It's kind of like the Leica that only shoots in b&w, only even more ridiculous

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
All new leica cameras will remove the RF focus mechanisms and revert back to scale focus. Calling it now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

RustedChrome posted:

If I had too much money, I'd get one of those no-lcd Leicas. Ya'll are a bunch of chimping wussies in here!

You've clearly never heard of hookers and blow.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Musket posted:

All new leica cameras will remove the RF focus mechanisms and revert back to scale focus. Calling it now.

They'll probably first remove the integrated rangefinder viewfinder so you have to focus and compose on separate viewfinders, then add the shutter speed dial that spins after you release the shutter for that old school Barnack camera feel.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Kodak, release the digital Brownie.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mest0r posted:

They'll probably first remove the integrated rangefinder viewfinder so you have to focus and compose on separate viewfinders, then add the shutter speed dial that spins after you release the shutter for that old school Barnack camera feel.

Think Digital Voitlander Bessa L

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Somebody from another forum post a chart comparo of the "effective dof power" of all the top end Point and Shoots. I don't know what the source is It's from Dpreview. I took it upon myself to add the DOF curves for Fuji 18-55mm and the Olympus 12-40mm.

What surprise me about this chart is that how fast the G7X lens is. Sure its 100g heavier than the RX100, but Canon P&S drop price very fast. I expect I can pick up a close out one much cheaper than the LX100. The LX100 is a spiritual successor of the LC1 so I don't expect it will depreciate very fast any time soon.

Secondly this chart shows that the LX100 compete very well against the two Olympus or Panasonic 2.8 zooms.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 16, 2014

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

feigning interest posted:

Known innovators Leica have finally answered all of our wishes and released a digital camera without one of those annoying LCD screens to get in the way of your art.

"Boxed for the experience of un-boxing"

It comes with white gloves in the box, to improve your unboxing experience.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You guys just don't understand the leica magic and what ~*true photography*~ means anymore

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Doodarazumas posted:

"Boxed for the experience of un-boxing"

It comes with white gloves in the box, to improve your unboxing experience.

I seriously thought this was a loving joke until I saw the video.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

As if anyone who buys this thing will even remove it from the box.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Pompous Rhombus posted:

In between the new Sony announcements and lack of stabilisation on the Fuji 16-55, Sony miiiight just keep my business.

Don't worry man, Sony will drive you away all by themselves. Fuji will have had nothing to do with it!

If Fuji can bring out the 16-55 for $799, they can justify the lack of OIS. What really needs to happen is that Sigma needs to start selling AF lenses for X Mount.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So it seems Samsung's answer to the "Wait, Samsung have a mirrorless system?" problem is to make a niche lens that will appeal to the demographic last to ditch the DSLR.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I actually thought this was a cool camera from Leica.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6139702522/leica-announces-updated-x-typ-113-with-f1-7-lens

Of course it will be overpriced, but pretty good specs for Leica.