Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

Watching the trailer I was thinking "that dog better not be the reason Neo loses his poo poo... oh, it is".

I would at the very least hospitalize someone for hurting one of my animals, so I have no problem with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, if anyone hurts my dog, that motherfucker's going to die. No one hurts my baby, ever.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Keanu is Roast Beef now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I get that I would end a motherfucker for hurting my dog or in my case my cat but they cheated the trailer to make you think he was attending the dog's funeral and that's really dumb.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
But you don't understand! His dead wife gave him that dog!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like the movie would be better if it was just his dog. gently caress the wife.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

I get that I would end a motherfucker for hurting my dog or in my case my cat but they cheated the trailer to make you think he was attending the dog's funeral and that's really dumb.

I will be pissed if it's not a big funeral for a dog.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Only if November Rain is playing, also the dog's name is November because that's when his wife died.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I dunno, a dog-funeral is just the right kind of campy for a movie about Keanu Reeves getting pissed off and killing everyone.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

kiimo posted:

What's funny about the trailer edit is that you see the doggie hyper punch, and then there's a two/three second break -- just long enough for you to tell yourself "haha they're trying to show you that these dudes are bad dudes with attitude because they punched a dog. Okay, I can roll with it."

And then you see a shovel and a homemade burial, and they stepped it up to dog death by punch. "Oh, poo poo. Okay. Not just beating up a pet, but killing the pet. Sure." It ups the silliness of the situation by being a bolded, double underline tag saying "these are bad dudes with bad attitudes," but it's still within the realm of not too crazy poo poo.

AND THEN, wham bam not only was that his dog, it was the last parting gift from his dead wife! It's mashing up all the motivation hooks of the genre -- injury to loveable pet; death of a friend; memories of deceased partner -- thrown up on a billboard with flashing neon lights practically screaming "WE WANTED A COOL MOTIVATION FOR OUR PROTAGONIST."

Like I said, I'm going to see this movie (for free, on Netflix). But it's like they kept going "and then . . . , and then . . . " when spitballing ideas as to just why in the hell Neo needs to gently caress some people up. Frankly, if the dog's name isn't November, to coincide with the wife's November death, and has November Rain playing on bagpipes at his funeral, I'm going to be disappointed.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's like that one American Dad bond spoof called "Tearjerker" where he tries to make the saddest movie of all time, except it's Keanu Reeves shooting people.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Only if November Rain is playing, also the dog's name is November because that's when his wife died.

Slash doing a guitar solo on the tiny dog casket as it slowly lowers into the ground, Keanu pretends not to notice him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Slash doing a guitar solo on the tiny dog casket as it slowly lowers into the ground, Keanu pretends not to notice him.

Slash is the preacher. He says no words, his solo says it al. While helicopters fly by. Ashes to Slashes.

RIP, November. You will be avenged.

Thunderlips
Oct 25, 2002
So basically a sequel to Sweet November.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want to see this Slash/Keanu movie get funded and made. The world needs more awkward team-up movies. The genre peaked with Double Team and it hasn't been the same since.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want to see this Slash/Keanu movie get funded and made. The world needs more awkward team-up movies. The genre peaked with Double Team and it hasn't been the same since.

It peaked with Double Impact when Jean Claude Van Damme called himself a black silk underwear-wearing human being.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I thought they made that movie with Guy Pierce already. :colbert:

Speaking of which, I watched this trailer at a repertory screening of The Terminator. Post-apocalyptic hydraulic western with Michael Shannon, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult called Young Ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH9_tU5PbGs

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Green Crayons posted:

What's funny about the trailer edit is that you see the doggie hyper punch, and then there's a two/three second break -- just long enough for you to tell yourself "haha they're trying to show you that these dudes are bad dudes with attitude because they punched a dog. Okay, I can roll with it."

And then you see a shovel and a homemade burial, and they stepped it up to dog death by punch. "Oh, poo poo. Okay. Not just beating up a pet, but killing the pet. Sure." It ups the silliness of the situation by being a bolded, double underline tag saying "these are bad dudes with bad attitudes," but it's still within the realm of not too crazy poo poo.

AND THEN, wham bam not only was that his dog, it was the last parting gift from his dead wife! It's mashing up all the motivation hooks of the genre -- injury to loveable pet; death of a friend; memories of deceased partner -- thrown up on a billboard with flashing neon lights practically screaming "WE WANTED A COOL MOTIVATION FOR OUR PROTAGONIST."

Like I said, I'm going to see this movie (for free, on Netflix). But it's like they kept going "and then . . . , and then . . . " when spitballing ideas as to just why in the hell Neo needs to gently caress some people up. Frankly, if the dog's name isn't November, to coincide with the wife's November death, and has November Rain playing on bagpipes at his funeral, I'm going to be disappointed.

I refuse to believe the goofiness is unintentional. They had to know how silly it would be, having a guy go on a rampage because his dog got killed and his nice car was stolen. and, I mean, if it was straightforward, unironic, it'd be, like, Cusack or Willis or Neeson. But Reeves is an underrated master of deadpan comedy. People forget, "I know kung fu" was intended to be incredibly funny.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

Watching the trailer I was thinking "that dog better not be the reason Neo loses his poo poo... oh, it is".
It honestly never entered my mind once. It was so absurd the possibility didn't even enter my mind, I just figured Keanu Reeves had a cute dog. I just kept expecting him to have a family or house that they destroy.

I refuse to believe the goofiness is intentional. :v: I also would have preferred this movie if Keanu Reeves were a weird dude with a smelly ferret that gets murdered.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 15, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Full trailer for the upcoming Maori-language action film The Dead Lands, set in a pre-European contact New Zealand in which a young warrior must avenge his father and his hapu after they get slaughtered. I'm actually rather looking forward to this.

http://youtu.be/LKy7Q50tJ84

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

It peaked with Double Impact when Jean Claude Van Damme called himself a black silk underwear-wearing human being.

That was definitely a high point but not the highest. I will argue that one actor playing different characters does not count as a team-up :colbert:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Hunger Games: Mockingjay pt1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Tsj_wTJkQ

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Haha, this looks crazy in a bad way. Only ever seen the movies but wow, I guess if that's in the books then its true to it but wow, that escalated pretty quickly.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The third book is incredibly crazy compared to the first two. The first one is good, the second one is basically a rehashing of the first one, and the third one goes completely off the rails.

Also really splitting it into multiple parts? The book is 400 pages long. I really hate this trend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Asiina posted:

The third book is incredibly crazy compared to the first two. The first one is good, the second one is basically a rehashing of the first one, and the third one goes completely off the rails.

Also really splitting it into multiple parts? The book is 400 pages long. I really hate this trend.

You do? I think it makes for better movies and a closer experience to books when you do it. I wish Ender's Game had done it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

You do? I think it makes for better movies and a closer experience to books when you do it. I wish Ender's Game had done it.

On the other hand, they turned The Hobbit from two movies into three which is the worst most blatant money grab I've ever seen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And the first two movies made $1,975,370,423 worldwide. Soooo that was a pretty smart decision.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 15, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

If the story is exceptionally long or complex, where important plot elements would be omitted if they had to squeeze it into one movie, I'm not against splitting it at that point. However this, like The Hobbit, is neither too long nor too complex to tell the story all at once and there's no reason to spread the story out over months or years other than to make money.

It may make for a more financially successful movie, but I don't think it's a better movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That may be the case and I'm not a huge Hobbit fan despite thinking LOTR if taken as one movie is a top ten movie of all time. I thought Harry Potter 7.1 and 7.2 were as close an experience to reading the books as you could get and wish 4,5 and 6 also were split.

The second Hunger Games was fantastic though so maybe this is a bad idea, I couldn't say.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The last Harry Potter book was an example of an overly long story that if they had tried to cram it all in would have felt very rushed. There's was just so much plot to go through and so many new and different places that it would have been a confusing nightmare to put them all in to even 3 hours. This story isn't nearly as complicated. If the story doesn't hold up to being split like that then it can feel plodding or full of filler. I loved all of the LotR movies and went in to The Hobbit wanting to enjoy it, but I just hate it. The format makes it feel like they are trying to manufacture that "epic story" feeling rather than let the story itself bring it about. It feels fake and disingenuous and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The book this movie is based on is pretty nonsense, but it's not too complicated, so I'm worried I'll have the same reaction as when I tried to watch The Hobbit.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Haha, this looks crazy in a bad way. Only ever seen the movies but wow, I guess if that's in the books then its true to it but wow, that escalated pretty quickly.

"Crazy in a bad way" is basically the most apt way to describe the third book. The way the series goes from great to poo poo rivals the Matrix trilogy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

"Crazy in a bad way" is basically the most apt way to describe the third book. The way the series goes from great to poo poo rivals the Matrix trilogy.

Hey, hey.

Why are the Matrix sequels seen as crap?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey, hey.

Why are the Matrix sequels seen as crap?

I think a lot of people were attracted to the mystery of the first one and some of the second. That's part of why you see such disgust for The Architect's explainer speech and the more straightforward third one. I don't think they really benefit from the bigger scope, either.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Weren't the Matrix sequels the first example of a studio splitting a script for extra $$$? I think I remember reading somewhere that the events of the last two were originally part of a single script prior to studio interference.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I can't stop laughing over them shooting down some kind of future jets with a bow and a crossbow.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I think a lot of people were attracted to the mystery of the first one and some of the second. That's part of why you see such disgust for The Architect's explainer speech and the more straightforward third one. I don't think they really benefit from the bigger scope, either.

(it was a joke about the fact that there's an active thread right now called "Why are the Matrix sequels seen as crap?")

(the answer is "because they are crap")

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

(it was a joke about the fact that there's an active thread right now called "Why are the Matrix sequels seen as crap?")

I'm dumb.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You tricked us all

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was just beginning to put together a super slam. Venturing into new threads is for the young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lord Tywin posted:

I can't stop laughing over them shooting down some kind of future jets with a bow and a crossbow.

Get used to it. You're going to see that and more with Hawkeye in the next Avengers flick and I don't wanna hear no guff 'about it :colbert:

• Locked thread