Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, Emily is awesome. When she skated out she'd do her damndest to screen the goalie but she's so drat short all the goalie has to do is lift their head a bit to see over her.

Can't fault that kind of effort though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
She had a huge glove save on one of our guys in the first, which got some cheers from our side, but her lack of... body really hurts her chances in goal.

I'm betting she'd be an awesome on defense.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i subbed in for a league tonight and got a pretty nice breakaway goal in a 2-2 shootout win.

i enjoy playing against d-league benders. they make me feel like i'm a better hockey player than i really am.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Pissed off is always bad, but the positioning thing depends on the kind of tired for me. If it's a fast game with a reasonable but not deep bench (let's say 10 players), then I'm more likely to get into the too-dumb-for-hockey type tired. If it's a completely shorthanded poo poo show and I'm out on the ice for 5+ minutes at a time, then my positioning is a lot better and my thinking is clearer, but I don't skate as hard.

We end up with 3 D men a few times a year, its a totally different game for me then, really have to choose my spots, play really conservative, way more then usual anyway. I guess its just been drilled into my brain for so long I default to responsible.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

D C posted:

We end up with 3 D men a few times a year, its a totally different game for me then, really have to choose my spots, play really conservative, way more then usual anyway. I guess its just been drilled into my brain for so long I default to responsible.

Haha, oh man, I played so many youth games with this setup, there is nothing in the world that makes you better positionally than playing 2/3rds of games

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I played a drop in game last night at American Heartland as part of a meetup group. We had the "small ice" which is international width but its really short. Imagine an olympic rink with the neutral zone removed and its basically a square. It was the weirdest ice to play on and fairly soft but its been forever since I've played so I can't complain.

On a side note I finally got to try one of my fischer sticks. Coming from easton s19, the weight wasn't noticeable as its fairly light, the balance feels good and the 70 flex is nice and whippy without being a wet noodle. The p19 pattern is nice, slightly more aggressive than my usual which is nice because it lets me roof the puck with ease. I half expected this stick to last 5 minutes but so far so good.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
So I finally moved out. While this is good life news it is bad news for hockey gear storage. At home I had a lot of space to store my gear in out of the way places (like the garage). It kept my gear out of the elements but also kept the smell out of places in the house where people frequent. I've moved into a slightly smaller house with 2 other guys and space is kind of at a premium. I have a few locations where I can keep my gear but they are in slightly more trafficked locations (one of them is near the Chinchilla's cage so maybe that smell will mask my hockey smell).

Currently after I get home from a game I take all of my gear out of the bag and spray it down with Lysol and let it air out. This seems to keep the smell under control for the most part but it's still there.

Any suggestions to make sure I keep the smell as minimal as possible? Is there something better than Lysol I can be using (or something in addition to Lysol)? Maybe scrub the gear with actual soap once a month or something?

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

I just moved into an apartment and have a similar issue with space - my gear is pretty much stored away in a closet when I'm not playing. I've been using odor-aid and febreeze together and it's been taking care of the smell + once a month I fill the bath tub with some Fabuloso and let it soak in there for a bit. Seems to be working so far

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I've been learning to skate and slowly assembling a full set of gear for a bit, but last night I played some pick up hockey in what was basically my first time being on the ice with a stick. I came very close to not doing a single good thing with the puck the entire night, but it was still drat fun.

It was 4 on 4, with one person on each bench to sub out and holy poo poo that is tiring. The number one thing I took away is that I need to do a looot of conditioning because it's one thing to be terrible but it's another to be terrible and exhausted.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
if you properly dry your gear on a drying rack after each game it greatly combats the smell (if the smell's already there you're gonna have to wash that poo poo out though). Keeping it somewhere warm where it can actually dry out is important, so garages don't work. I literally kept my gear in public areas of my college apartments with people who didn't even play hockey and didn't get complaints the last two years

Trust me when I say a cheap drying rack is an insanely good investment

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I toss my gear in a corner of the computer room the instant I get home.. will go for months without any funk. When smell does develop, the gentle cycle in the washing machine fixes it. I use like a quarter the normal amount of detergent.

Three years doing that, and the wife hasn't complained at all.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What kind of caveman odor genes do you people carry? Pulling all your gear out of the bag, and occasionally washing things like your jersey, socks, and jock should be enough to keep the smell to a minimum. Don't use chemicals like lysol or febreze. It'll only add to the stink in the long run.

Occasionally, wash your harder-to-wash gear like breezers and shoulder pads. A lot of places will also have a sports equipment washing service that usually leaves your gear smelling like spring flowers. For at least 20 minutes.

In other news. It's the one week that lunch league is off. Get to the rink for some lunch-time drop-in! Four guys signed up :negative:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The single biggest factor of avoiding hockey stink is keeping it dry. Fabreeze just puts a scent over top of the stink, baking soda will actually absorb some scent but not nearly enough, vinegar will usually help eliminate odors and I've heard it works pretty well. I find that anti bacterial dishsoap works pretty well on things like shinguards, elbow pads, helmet padding, and shoulder pads.

Wash never - skates, gloves, pants

Wash every couple months - Shinguards, elbow pads, shoulder pads, helmet. I like to spray them down with a hose outside and some antibacterial dish soap.

Wash weekly - jersey, shinguard socks, skate insoles, removable shinguard padding. I just toss these in my next load of laundry.

Wash daily - jock, feet socks, base layers (if any). Also toss these into laundry. Sometimes I will wash my jock when I shower if I have a quick turnaround game.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Teeter posted:

I've been learning to skate and slowly assembling a full set of gear for a bit, but last night I played some pick up hockey in what was basically my first time being on the ice with a stick. I came very close to not doing a single good thing with the puck the entire night, but it was still drat fun.

It was 4 on 4, with one person on each bench to sub out and holy poo poo that is tiring. The number one thing I took away is that I need to do a looot of conditioning because it's one thing to be terrible but it's another to be terrible and exhausted.

this is pretty much how everyone starts out as an adult, so don't be too self conscious. The conditioning really is insane but just by playing more you'll be amazed how quickly it starts to get better

It'll never not be a completely insane "how am I even moving" tiredness at the end, though. But that's great

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rocket-sports-equipment-dryer.html

Might be of interest as both a storage and a smell solution.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

The single biggest factor of avoiding hockey stink is keeping it dry. Fabreeze just puts a scent over top of the stink, baking soda will actually absorb some scent but not nearly enough, vinegar will usually help eliminate odors and I've heard it works pretty well. I find that anti bacterial dishsoap works pretty well on things like shinguards, elbow pads, helmet padding, and shoulder pads.

Wash never - skates, gloves, pants

Wash every couple months - Shinguards, elbow pads, shoulder pads, helmet. I like to spray them down with a hose outside and some antibacterial dish soap.

Wash weekly - jersey, shinguard socks, skate insoles, removable shinguard padding. I just toss these in my next load of laundry.

Wash daily - jock, feet socks, base layers (if any). Also toss these into laundry. Sometimes I will wash my jock when I shower if I have a quick turnaround game.

Personally, my gloves have the most offensive smell. At their maximum potential, they can be smelled by a quarter of the bench.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Zip! posted:

Seconded. I picked one up a month of two ago and it's been a great buy. You can rubber band or twist tie a dryer sheet to the center post to give stuff a slightly better smell too. Most people don't recommend putting your gloves in there though.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Personally, my gloves have the most offensive smell. At their maximum potential, they can be smelled by a quarter of the bench.

Gloves are loving disgusting. Mine aren't especially bad, but I am still inspired to wash my hands ASAP after I play. I don't really know what to do about the gloves themselves, though. The thought of just filling them up with like a pound of baking soda has occurred to me, but I'm not sure it'd help.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I try to soak my gear in the bathtub filled with warm water and Oxyclean for a full day. Drain, then soak it in just regular warm water a couple times to get the detergent out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zip! posted:

I got this, it's ok.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My wet gear is never in my bag for more than the time it takes to pack it up and get it home. I hang my shoulder pads, pants, and knee brace on the wall on my third floor (which heats up pretty good due to our crappy old house's ventilation) and turn on the electric baseboard heater right under it. Gloves, elbow pads, and shin guards go on the floor in front of the heater. Skates I place on top of the mini-fridge in that room, with the blades hanging off the back to expose them to the heat coming from the compressor. Helmet sits in front of the skates. I let that stuff roast overnight and then turn the heat off.

I wash my compression shorts, undershirt, socks (both hockey socks and foot socks) and jersey after every single time I play, unless I'm playing two games back-to-back. My stuff never smells.

So yeah, one key to fighting smell is to keep it dry. The stinkiest hockey players are the ones who are always talking about how they never take their poo poo out of their bag.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
After every stick time or game I just take all my poo poo out and spread it out on my patio furniture in the backyard for around 12 hours. Over night if I have a late skate, all day till I start shutting down for the day otherwise. Underwear and jock shorts get washed with the laundry as usual, I just have a couple running T-shirts and a couple of jock shorts I can use through the week so I don't have to immediately do them.

I kinda wish I had some long dedicated hockey underwear to keep the elbow and shin guards directly off my body, but I figure sweat will still get on them anyway so I'm in no rush. I cheaped out on the elbow guards anyway so when they're gross I'll be upgrading. All my stuff smells the same as the day I bought it after a casual year of use.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'd use the balcony of my apartment if I wasn't on the first floor facing the busy street next to the experimental medicine plaza to air out my gear.

Guess it's rot in the apartment till I move.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I'm like the complete opposite of everyone. My gear sits in my bag until the night before or morning of a skate. When the stench gets bad that's when I know its time to wash everything, so like once a month or so. I find that leaving it out for days at a time things get too dry and crusty and I hate crusty gloves. Splashing them in the sink for a minute fixes them up a little bit but its just not the same.

E: and I dont get stink complaints, and trust me I would hear about it if it were bad. That's one thing guys in the locker room aren't is shy about telling you you stink.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 16, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:stonk:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Avs rookies arranged a 3 v 3 scrimmage after practice. Just awesome to watch guys at this level scrimmage for a bit like normal hockeypeoples :allears:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My gloves never sit long enough to dry out. I'd recommend that.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i air my stuff out and never wash it #stinkchat

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Dangerllama posted:

Avs rookies arranged a 3 v 3 scrimmage after practice. Just awesome to watch guys at this level scrimmage for a bit like normal hockeypeoples :allears:

Thanks for sharing this, its almost hypnotic watching their movement as a group - always in nice, interweaving triangles all the time.

Stink chat - My nice new custom goalie gloves arrived last week and so I'm going to OCD levels to look after them and dry them out properly each week.

Sellouts would you say the Rocket Dryer is worth it? I need a more compact solution for my apartment.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't have a drying rack but I do hang my gear on one of those $20 garment racks like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-Do-Garment-Rack-in-Black/15641246

I bought hangers with clips on them to hang shin pads, elbow pads, and gloves:
http://www.target.com/p/target-home-chrome-hangers-with-clips-3-pk/-/A-13784082#prodSlot=medium_1_14&term=clip+hanger

Shoulder pads get a regular plastic hanger. Pants hang off at the edge.

Skates, helmet rest on bottom of rack, and a milk crate holds extras like jerseys, socks, and a place where I know my cup is.

jersey, jock, base layers, hockey socks, towel, skate socks go in washer and everything gets hung up as soon as I get home. All that gets hung to dry before I go to bed.

I also have a dehumidifier sitting right next to the rack ready to go as soon as everything is hung up.

Uh, yea, speaking of jersey, any way to stretch one out a bit? The home jersey I have was a little tight with old shoulder pads but almost impossible to get on now with the new shoulder pads.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Zip! posted:

Sellouts would you say the Rocket Dryer is worth it? I need a more compact solution for my apartment.
I've had a Rocket Dryer for over a year now and I loving love it. I do stick my gloves, both player and goalie into it to dry and I have no complaints. I guess if you have some non pro-spec palms it might get nasty getting dried out but honestly I don't notice anything weird with my Bauer Pro-Roll's.

Also Zip fitting all of your goalie gear, save the leg-pads into the dryer is great and can get things nice and dry and not nasty in an hour or two.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's cool. The heater doesn't get that hot which means you can leave it unattended. It's not as portable as you'd think and honestly not sure how you can fit goalie gear in it but i guess it's possible!

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

It's portable enough that if you're doing a weekend tournament or something along those lines that you can travel with it.

Recreations in Logic
Jan 17, 2001
Sometimes when I get one of those silica gel packets I'll throw it into my hockey bag. Seems like it could help keep stuff dry in there? It's a real pain in the rear end when they break open in your hockey bag though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's no way that little thing helps enough to be worth it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

YeehawMcKickass posted:

It's portable enough that if you're doing a weekend tournament or something along those lines that you can travel with it.

Yes with the caveat that I wouldn't fly anywhere with it. The heater seems like it wouldn't survive without some hassle

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Recreations in Logic posted:

Sometimes when I get one of those silica gel packets I'll throw it into my hockey bag. Seems like it could help keep stuff dry in there? It's a real pain in the rear end when they break open in your hockey bag though.

Silica gel is an adsorbant and I guess can only retain about 30% of its weight in water. So that little packet probably won't do much.

If you wanna guinea pig the gently caress out, buy this poo poo:
http://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-7886-Replacement-Desiccant/dp/B000OUXA2Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410920376&sr=8-3&keywords=silica+gel+bulk

Sew it in a small pillow or whatever thing so that it lays relatively flat (the amount of moisture it attracts is dependent on the surface area that is exposed), and toss it in your bag. Go hog wild even and sew a vinyl 'window' to see when you need to recharge the desiccant (aka put it in the oven to bake off the moisture). The beads are color indicators, when they change color they've accumulated all the moisture they can. They turn blue again when they're ready.

Should work in theory but don't blame me if you burn your house down or injure yourself from mishandling the material.

Or check out poo poo like DampRid.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 17, 2014

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i think i'm gonna stick with airing my poo poo out

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Zip! posted:

Stink chat - My nice new custom goalie gloves arrived last week and so I'm going to OCD levels to look after them and dry them out properly each week.

I bought one of these things and replaced two of the feet with hand extensions that you can buy for a a little extra.

It dries my goalie gloves a little too well. The catcher gets tough and a little hard to close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So right now I think I'm trying to murder myself with hockey. Two leagues I'm playing goalie, and two leagues I'm skating out. I don't know if I'm going to fully enjoy this winter season, or if I'm just going to vomit bile and never ever do this again due to liver failure and/or unplanned rapid deconstruction.

Also the Bradf0rd/Bootcha non-transition period continues with a win and a shootout win. Two mexican-ish beers before the game are apparently my good luck juice.