Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jassi007 posted:

Are you playing this in a mono-white deck? I can think of better creatures in every other color to fill the role this would.

In Abzan colors, I don't think there is. Arbor Colossus is cute out of the sideboard for blocking Prognostic Sphinx, but I don't think I want to maindeck it. I currently am playing with 2 Rocs in my Abzan midrange build:

3 Anafenza the Foremost
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Siege Rhino
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Wingmate Roc

I like Anafenza for the incidental value her counters and extra 1 power give over Brimaz, but I don't terribly love that she dies to your own Elspeth -3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

The absolute bare minimum of what the card can do isn't *actually* bad though. Its just not as good as if you got a Raid activation.

It's not actually bad but it's pretty solidly 'limited rare' territory at that point. Maybe decks will be happy enough with it to tolerate the variance but you can't handwave it away altogether.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I will of course listen to the argument that Nissa is a simply better 5 drop in that slot. I just really like the upside on the Roc and haven't found Raid very hard to get activate in (limited) testing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

I will of course listen to the argument that Nissa is a simply better 5 drop in that slot. I just really like the upside on the Roc and haven't found Raid very hard to get activate in (limited) testing.

My other beef with it is you can expect to see Stormbreath Dragon everywhere, and he just shuts that thing down hard.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

My other beef with it is you can expect to see Stormbreath Dragon everywhere, and he just shuts that thing down hard.

Oh yeah, heh, if your deck can run red, and needs a 5 drop flyer, there is no reason ever to run Wingmate Roc as long as Stormbreath is in standard. If you are in Green and need a 5 drop you have access to Arbor Colossus and Nissa. The only deck that really seems to want it is mono-white, and if your playing a mono-white deck where Wingmate would consistently trigger, why aren't you instead running Dictate of Heliod?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Fair enough. I think where it really shines is survivability against aggro, not as the top of an aggro deck. bhsman posted a really good build of Mardu King in the brewhaus, I'll look into fitting Ajani in that one.

You could say I'm posting it right now. :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nissa seems bad in decks other than mono-G now that shocks are out, though. You have to entirely forego nonbasics and have a disproportionate amount of forests for her ramp to actually work well.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

Oh yeah, heh, if your deck can run red, and needs a 5 drop flyer, there is no reason ever to run Wingmate Roc as long as Stormbreath is in standard. If you are in Green and need a 5 drop you have access to Arbor Colossus and Nissa. The only deck that really seems to want it is mono-white, and if your playing a mono-white deck where Wingmate would consistently trigger, why aren't you instead running Dictate of Heliod?

I'm just saying I'd love to play a deck that wants to match my Stormbreath with their Wingmate Roc. I would not want to be the Abzan deck vs. the GR/RUG deck in that match unless it packs a shitload of non-white removal.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The Shortest Path posted:

Nissa seems bad in decks other than mono-G now that shocks are out, though. You have to entirely forego nonbasics and have a disproportionate amount of forests for her ramp to actually work well.

I do not see how making a 4/4 trampler every turn is suddenly bad. She gets slightly worse, sure, but it wasn't thermal that made her insane.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Nissa isn't played for her ramp; look at the Jund Planeswalkers deck from the pro tour, which played very few actual forests. She can turn any land into a 4/4, and that's such a powerful ability that I'm confident she'll see play for the foreseeable future.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are any of the Outlast creatures Standard playable? Ainok Bond-Kin seems like it could fit in a WGB deck somewhere. There's lots of ways to get +1/+1 counters on your other dudes including Abzan Charm and Anafenza himself, and being able to give your team first strike seems good. And a piker that can grow isn't terrible on its own. Too bad Anafenza can't put counters on himself.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Entropic posted:

Are any of the Outlast creatures Standard playable? Ainok Bond-Kin seems like it could fit in a WGB deck somewhere. There's lots of ways to get +1/+1 counters on your other dudes including Abzan Charm and Anafenza himself, and being able to give your team first strike seems good. And a piker that can grow isn't terrible on its own. Too bad Anafenza can't put counters on himself.
I'd say the Falconer has a good chance of seeing play. The Nightblade and the Battle Priest might see play but probably fringe play.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Goddamn I swear I've seen at least three different Khans-related articles titled "Prose and Khans."

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Entropic posted:

It feels like the only Outlast card that's even potentially playable is the Herald of Anafenza, and there might be better options for your white weenie deck. So I think no.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

The only way Azban deals with Stormbreath Dragon at all is either Hero's Downfall or boarding in Arbor Colossus to block it. But I think that weakness extends through the whole wedge.

Madmarker posted:

Because Wingmate Roc is an actual threat and Dictate of Heliod isn't?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Myriad Truths posted:

It feels like the only Outlast card that's even potentially playable is the Herald of Anafenza, and there might be better options for your white weenie deck. So I think no.

I dunno, that one seems way too slow and mana-intensive for constructed. There's better ways to get more tokens faster and cheaper.

If any of the outlast guys see play I think it'll be the Flying or First Strike ones. Maybe deathtouch.

Angry Grimace posted:

The only way Azban deals with Stormbreath Dragon at all is either Hero's Downfall or boarding in Arbor Colossus to block it. But I think that weakness extends through the whole wedge.
Murderous Cut is a thing too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I dunno, that one seems way too slow and mana-intensive for constructed. There's better ways to get more tokens faster and cheaper.

If any of the outlast guys see play I think it'll be the Flying or First Strike ones. Maybe deathtouch.

Murderous Cut is a thing too.

Outlast itself isn't a constructed mechanic as far as I can tell unless you really have nothing else you can do (a stalemate). If one were to actually play with the Abzan mechanic, that's +1/+1 counters matter, e.g. High Sentinels of Arashin and that dude who gives all your counter guys flying. That deck is probably looking for Ajani Steadfast, etc. to put counters on, not Outlast.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Yup thats why the more i think Temur is going to be some quasi hard to remove fatties deck. stormbreath, sagu mauler, sarkhan all have different but good methods of self protection. A deck has to have single targets, wraths, ways to kill walkers or exile permanents etc. Whatever control deck manages all that also has to be able to hold off Mardu Blitz.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
There are a lot of +1/+1 counter effects in standard. The Outlast creatures play really well with Monsterous and Heroic and Tribute mechanics, even if its just as a "lord".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Outlast itself isn't a constructed mechanic as far as I can tell unless you really have nothing else you can do (a stalemate). If one were to actually play with the Abzan mechanic, that's +1/+1 counters matter, e.g. High Sentinels of Arashin and that dude who gives all your counter guys flying. That deck is probably looking for Ajani Steadfast, etc. to put counters on, not Outlast.

I think if you're playing a card like Ainok Bond-Kin in constructed, you're not planning on ever actually activating his Outlast ability, you're running him for the synergy his static "creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them have first strike" ability has with Ajanis, Abzan Charms, Anafenza, etc. Same with the Flying guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I think if you're playing a card like Ainok Bond-Kin in constructed, you're not planning on ever actually activating his Outlast ability, you're running him for the synergy his static "creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them have first strike" ability has with Ajanis, Abzan Charms, Anafenza, etc. Same with the Flying guy.

If the team-buff deck was a thing, I'd probably rather just pay the extra 1 white mana to play Archetype of Courage, and use that 2-drop slot to play Fleecemane Lion. Not that I think that deck will really be a thing.

jassi007 posted:

Yup thats why the more i think Temur is going to be some quasi hard to remove fatties deck. stormbreath, sagu mauler, sarkhan all have different but good methods of self protection. A deck has to have single targets, wraths, ways to kill walkers or exile permanents etc. Whatever control deck manages all that also has to be able to hold off Mardu Blitz.

This may or may not be a good reason to look harder and harder for Elspeth. The build I'm playing with now runs Ajani, MOH to dig for Elspeth's and other critters. (this is one of the fun things about rotation brewing - cards that seemed good but never fit anywhere can potentially get played in the new format)

I actually think the Azban midrange deck is pretty well positioned against aggressive decks, either Mardu or Mono-black (which is totally going to be a thing, especially at first) since you can gain life off of Courser, Siege Rhino, Wingmate Roc, Sorin if you're playing him, Ajani if you play him, etc. Not to mention Sheep out of the board.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Angry Grimace posted:

If the team-buff deck was a thing, I'd probably rather just pay the extra 1 white mana to play Archetype of Courage, and use that 2-drop slot to play Fleecemane Lion. Not that I think that deck will really be a thing.

I'm similarly taking another look at the archetypes. Archetype of Endurance seems like a decent sideboard option for a Chord deck to fetch up against 1-for-1 removal opponents; without sweepers your field becomes virtually indestructible.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Has the list been posted yet of what the 40 pre-release promos will be?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think one of the biggest question marks is whether a competitive control deck (or any Jeskai deck, really) is out there.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator
If anyone was still holding out hope that the last-minute card change mentioned in the FTV: Annihilation article was Damnation and they removed it because they were going to reprint it soon in Commander 2014 or something, Maro's article today kills that rumor off:

quote:

This card first came about because Gavin Verhey was putting together From the Vault: Annihilation. He came to me because the plan at the time was to include a preview card from Khans of Tarkir. He was having trouble finding green cards in theme, so he asked me if the preview card could possibly have some green in it. As we hadn't designed it yet, I said sure.

So in one design meeting, I gave as an assignment the following: make me a mass creature-destruction spell of which at least one of the colors was green. What I got back was Duneblast. Later, it was decided that From the Vault wasn't going to have a preview card (getting a card done early logistically causes issues)

qbert posted:

Has the list been posted yet of what the 40 pre-release promos will be?

In the prerelease primer they posted today they only confirmed each clan has a chance of a Khan, but that they're not going to say what the other 7 rares are for each clan. I imagine there's going to be a community list of them as soon as people start opening them just like the semi-randomized non-promo rare in seeded packs before.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cunso posted:

If anyone was still holding out hope that the last-minute card change mentioned in the FTV: Annihilation article was Damnation and they removed it because they were going to reprint it soon in Commander 2014 or something, Maro's article today kills that rumor off:

In the prerelease primer they posted today they only confirmed each clan has a chance of a Khan, but that they're not going to say what the other 7 rares are for each clan. I imagine there's going to be a community list of them as soon as people start opening them just like the semi-randomized non-promo rare in seeded packs before.

There is a video on the magic facebook page of them cracking a Temur pre-con. It had a button, a spin down, and the rare was Temur Ascendancy. The seeded pack was decent, it had the mana rock, the tri-land, one of the common duals, and all cards were on color, either U, R, or G. Assuming this is a typical experience, then they really want you to have a shot at playing your chosen clan for the pre-release and have heavily seeded the pack to make it happen. 3 pieces of guaranteed mana fixing and 12 cards guaranteed in color is nice.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

Also Despise/Thoughtseize, if you consider that "dealing with it."

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Because Wingmate Roc is an actual threat and Dictate of Heliod isn't?

If you have a deck that can consistently:
A) Have creatures on Board and
B) Have those creatures attack,
while you are playing monowhite, you generally are playing some form of swarming strategy and should have a widely built board. Dictate of Heliod, in those circumstances, will just end the game. It's an overrun that sticks around. Whereas a Wingmate Roc, on the same likely board, will not end the game and gives you nothing the turn it is cast, which Dictate does. Combined with the fact that Dictate has Flash, allowing you to hold onto it for additional flexibility, specifically when you want to goad the opponent into a bad swing. It has the same weakness as Wingmate Roc, an empty board, but a higher potential upside.

Wingmate Roc may see some standard play, but there is a reason its price hasn't gone crazy, and thats because Wingmate Roc is not the second coming of Broodmate Dragon. Its similar, but far, far weaker, and in all color combinations but potentially monowhite, there seem to be better options. Its a nice card, with a good effect, but its not going to be a 4-of in every deck that can play it, or even necessarily a 1-of. It is a role playing card that is nice.

Now before we go to crazy with this, the original conversation chain that triggered this was about why Wingmate Roc's price wasn't soaring. Now, without getting to high and mighty or rocing the boat here, I am fairly confident this card should remain nested in trade binders for until Theros is gone. Unless their is some particularly fowl interaction I'm missing, it will stay in the budget wing of most LGSs for a while.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 15, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

If you have a deck that can consistently:
A) Have creatures on Board and
B) Have those creatures attack,
while you are playing monowhite, you generally are playing some form of swarming strategy and should have a widely built board. Dictate of Heliod, in those circumstances, will just end the game. It's an overrun that sticks around. Whereas a Wingmate Roc, on the same likely board, will not end the game and gives you nothing the turn it is cast, which Dictate does. Combined with the fact that Dictate has Flash, allowing you to hold onto it for additional flexibility, specifically when you want to goad the opponent into a bad swing. It has the same weakness as Wingmate Roc, an empty board, but a higher potential upside.

Wingmate Roc may see some standard play, but there is a reason its price hasn't gone crazy, and thats because Wingmate Roc is not the second coming of Broodmate Dragon. Its similar, but far, far weaker, and in all color combinations but potentially monowhite, there seem to be better options. Its a nice card, with a good effect, but its not going to be a 4-of in every deck that can play it, or even necessarily a 1-of. It is a role playing card that is nice.

Now before we go to crazy with this, the original conversation chain that triggered this was about why Wingmate Roc's price wasn't soaring. Now, without getting to high and mighty or rocing the boat here, I am fairly confident this card should remain nested in trade binders for until Theros is gone. Unless their is some particularly foul interaction I'm missing, it will stay in the budget wing of most LGSs for a while.

Well, I mean asked you what this better option is in Abzan colors and you haven't really stated beyond repeating that there's better options; G/W/B doesn't have access to Stormbreath Dragon or Sarkhan.

I'll listen to an argument Nissa is a better 5-drop, but I don't know that I necessarily love getting all my lands killed.

Let's say this is the deck I'm running:

//Spells
3 Abzan Charm
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Anafenza the Foremost
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Siege Rhino
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Wingmate Roc

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 15, 2014

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Okay, time for an Ottawa PTQ effortpost.

This was the first competitive event I've ever been to. I've only been playing magic since the start of Theros block but have been sucked in pretty hard over the last year. I usually only play standard with friends over beers, but started to dabble in Magic Online limited a few months ago, so I was happy when I saw that the PTQ was going to be a sealed event. It was $30 and sleeves/box were provided, so I figured I was getting my money's worth even if I dropped and didn't win anything. Then I opened my pool. Here's my deck:

10x Swamp
7x Mountain

Creatures
1x Forge Devil
2x Child of Night
2x Generator Servant
1x Borderland Marauder
1x Torch Fiend
1x Krenko's Enforcer
2x Witch's Familiar
1x Paragon of Open Graves
1x Gravedigger
1x Nightfire Giant
1x Indulgent Tormentor

Non-Creatures
1x Ulcerate
1x Crowd's Favor
1x Crippling Blight
1x Lightning Strike
1x Stab Wound
1x Chandra, Pyromaster
2x Flesh to Dust
1x Caustic Tar

My pool also included Soul of Zendikar, Seraph of the Masses, Phyrexian Revoker and Master of Predicaments. The Chandra, Tormentor and Nightfire Giant were very convincing for me to go red/black, and everything else seemed to fit well enough. I don't remember the specifics of each game, so I'll just talk generally about how I did/cool stuff that only I will care about :

- My final record was 6-2, and I was ranked 20th. 4 of the matches won were quick, convincing 2-0s. The 2 losses were 1-2s helped by mulligans to 5 after drawing 2 hands with no lands. The other 2-1 wins almost went to time.

- I was able to get Tormentor out on turn 3 with Generator Servant two times over the course of the tournament, and Nightfire Giant out once. All resulted in wins.

- In three separate games (two in round 5 and one in round 8) I put a Hornet Nest out of commission the turn after it was played with either Stab Wound or Crippling Blight.

- Chandra is ridiculous. She either made blocks terrible or killed a creature with the +1 every time I used it, and in long games her 0 proved very very useful. I never used her ultimate, though I got her to 8 loyalty in one game.

- One of my 2-1 wins came in a match where the guy played Spirit Bonds on turn 2 of every game. Chandra is good against Spirit Bonds.

- I often sideboarded out the 2nd Witch's familiar, Flesh to Dust or Caustic Tar for a Rotfeaster Maggot or a Phyrexian Revoker.

- I won one game by drawing a 7th land, playing caustic tar and activating it for lethal.

- Phyrexian Revoker put an Ajani Steadfast, a Soul of New Phyrexia and an Avacyn out of commission over the course of the day.

- I killed Soul of New Phyrexia and at least 3 convoke golems with Torch Fiend

- I gravedigger'd lots of generator servants. COMBO!

- I won one game with an 8 mana Oppressive Rays Nightfire Giant shock for lethal

Both of my friends that I went with went 0-2, played a side event then dropped, and I was coming into the day expecting to do the same, and was pretty proud of how far I got. Overall it was a very fun (if not tiresome) experience, and I hope to do it again sooner than later.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, I mean asked you what this better option is in Abzan colors and you haven't really stated beyond repeating that there's better options.

I'm not him, but I honestly don't think Abzan will be standard playable, at least not a top 8/16. If I'm going to be in black and white, I want red for an aggro build, or blue for control I think. If I'm green I want red or blue to ramp out bad dudes. I just don't see Abzan as all that viable, and one big reason is because if I'm going to be green it has to be because of ramp and fatties. That is what green does basically. If i'm ramping to a 5 drop on t3/4 I want it to have pressence. I want it to be a must answer game winning threat. Nissa, Stormbreath, Sarkhan, these are all deal with it or die cards. Wingmate is not as good. You can't really ramp to it because you need something to swing with first, it is coming out later. It is not able to defend you or itself very well. I think truly in Abzan I'd skip the 5 drop and go for Elspeth. She is a better curve topper than Wingmate Roc in white Abzan. With all the outlast counter producing nonsense, her tokens can get dangerous really fast.

In limited Abzan is going to be slick. Wingmate Roc would be a great card that would bring a lot of value. Just not standard material.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 15, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

I'm not him, but I honestly don't think Abzan will be standard playable, at least not a top 8/16. If I'm going to be in black and white, I want red for an aggro build, or blue for control I think. If I'm green I want red or blue to ramp out bad dudes. I just don't see Abzan as all that viable, and one big reason is because if I'm going to be green it has to be because of ramp and fatties. That is what green does basically. If i'm ramping to a 5 drop on t3/4 I want it to have pressence. I want it to be a must answer game winning threat. Nissa, Stormbreath, Sarkhan, these are all deal with it or die cards. Wingmate is not as good. You can't really ramp to it because you need something to swing with first, it is coming out later. It is not able to defend you or itself very well. I think truly in Abzan I'd skip the 5 drop and go for Elspeth. She is a better curve topper than Wingmate Roc in white Abzan. With all the outlast counter producing nonsense, her tokens can get dangerous really fast.

In limited Abzan is going to be slick. Wingmate Roc would be a great card that would bring a lot of value. Just not standard material.

That's not really the 5-drop you ramp to, the main threats are Siege Rhinos, Anafenza (Brimaz?) and Elspeth. But you maybe right about the Roc vs. Nissa, I'll give it a shot in testing since its basically the same cost in green. I'm not set on any particular deck, this just happens to be the one I'm testing since I really like that Rhino.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 15, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, I mean asked you what this better option is in Abzan colors and you haven't really stated beyond repeating that there's better options; G/W/B doesn't have access to Stormbreath Dragon or Sarkhan.

I'll listen to an argument Nissa is a better 5-drop, but I don't know that I necessarily love getting all my lands killed.

Nissa is easily the better drop in a deck that has access to green. Its resistant to removal, protects itself, and generates a 4/4 every turn. Nissa can function on an empty board. Wingmate cannot. Thats the main difference, and its enough of one to make it a better choice should it be an option. If you are playing Abzan, you are decidedly a value midrange deck, and are probably leaning defensively on most of your creatures rather than offensively. Meaning that you will not always be able to attack even when you have creatures. Further, the main creature with flying that needs to be blocked (Stormbreath) cannot be blocked by Wingmate Roc. Nissa works better as a threat in that strategy as she can convert every unnecessary land into a creature, and these are far more resistant to removal than roc as Nissa can continue to produce threats herself, meaning every turn she is unanswered, she becomes hard to answer.. It's not that roc is bad. I'm not even saying that it wont see play, its just there are better options in WG and WR, I am unsure of in a primarily WB deck and WU will probably play the wrath over it.

jassi007 posted:

I could see an Abzan strategy being viable, Caryatid, Courser, Nissa, Elspeth, Thoughtseize, Hero's Downfall and that 4 drop rhino thing all seem pretty good, but I don't see Wingmate's place among them.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 15, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Nissa is easily the better drop in a deck that has access to green. Its resistant to removal, protects itself, and generates a 4/4 every turn. Nissa can function on an empty board. Wingmate cannot. Thats the main difference, and its enough of one to make it a better choice should it be an option. If you are playing Abzan, you are decidedly a value midrange deck, and are probably leaning defensively on most of your creatures rather than offensively. Meaning that you will not always be able to attack even when you have creatures. Further, the main creature with flying that needs to be blocked (Stormbreath) cannot be blocked by Wingmate Roc. Nissa works better as a threat in that strategy as she can convert every unnecessary land into a creature, and these are far more resistant to removal than roc as Nissa can continue to produce threats herself, meaning every turn she is unanswered, she becomes hard to answer.. It's not that roc is bad. I'm not even saying that it wont see play, its just there are better options in WG and WR, I am unsure of in a primarily WB deck and WU will probably play the wrath over it.

I do have Nissa, so I'll drop her in the Roc's slot and see how it works out. I'm just leery of my lands getting blowed up.

As for the wrath, I'm not sure a control deck really exists. Jeskai just seems not particularly amazing playable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A creature with Deathtouch and Lifelink is still going to give me the same regular amount of life, right? Like if I block a 1/1 with a Wurmcoil, am getting 1 life or 6 life out of it?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Just one because I believe the definition for death touch is "Any amount of damage this creature does is enough to destroy target opponent creature" So you still only do one damage but it's enough to destroy any amount of toughness.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

C-Euro posted:

A creature with Deathtouch and Lifelink is still going to give me the same regular amount of life, right? Like if I block a 1/1 with a Wurmcoil, am getting 1 life or 6 life out of it?

Linklink gives you the amount of life equal to the damage the creature deals, but there's nothing preventing you from dealing as much damage as you want. The mere fact that you only need to do one damage to kill it is irrelevant. Imagine it doesn't have Deathtouch - 1 damage is lethal also, but you still get 6 life.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tracula posted:

Just one because I believe the definition for death touch is "Any amount of damage this creature does is enough to destroy target opponent creature" So you still only do one damage but it's enough to destroy any amount of toughness.

He still has 6 damage to assign. If it also had trample, he COULD assign only 1 damage to the creature and have the rest trample over, but I'm pretty sure he could also assign all 6 to the creature if his opponent had a way to prevent the damage, like a CoP.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I do have Nissa, so I'll drop her in the Roc's slot and see how it works out. I'm just leery of my lands getting blowed up.

As for the wrath, I'm not sure a control deck really exists. Jeskai just seems not particularly amazing playable.

I can understand that, and I don't see the control deck either. BBD tried to brew something up for his versus series, and it seemed ok...I wouldn't call it good exactly, but there may be some hope for Durdlers such as myself. Until then, I have monoblack aggro while I figure this format out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Any damage from a creature with Deathtouch is lethal, but that doesn't mean a deathtoucher only deals one damage to a blocker. There's nothing preventing that 'extra' damage. Think of it this way: If my 5/5 lifelink creature (without deathtouch) gets blocked by your 2/2, I still gain 5 life, even though only 2 damage was 'necessary' to kill the blocker.

• Locked thread