Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

radlum posted:

I had no idea Harold was not an original character; I just thought he was an homage to Elliot Gould in The Long Goodbye that Fraction added to Hawkeye.

He's definitely that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

She turns 21 in the newest Young Avengers run. It's a plot point because the bad guy of the run can control adults.

What, did they beat him by raising the age of majority?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

First Bass posted:

She was young at heart (And the villain was a her, at least visually, it was a multi-universal parasite that posed as Hulkling's mother and tried to drag the character back into her metaphorical womb to conquer the universe.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First Bass posted:

They had no evidence it would affect her upon her birthday, it was just a fear she had.

Then when she mentioned it one of the characters pointed out they were already 21 for months.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It was one of those intentional anti-climaxes for the sake of comedy things.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

First Bass posted:

I picked up all of Soule's She-Hulk and now I love She-Hulk and I'm trying to get my co-workers to read She-Hulk but they can't stand the art. :saddowns:

I agree. The art is like that you'd see on some artsy-farty indy comic; you know, the ones with a print run of about 200 copies, and you read them so you can say 'oh I was reading that before everyone else'. For She-Hulk, it just doesn't work.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Skwirl posted:

She was young at heart (And the villain was a her, at least visually, it was a multi-universal parasite that posed as Hulkling's mother and tried to drag the character back into her metaphorical womb to conquer the universe.)

"YOU SHUT UP MOM!" the comic, huh? Between this and Iron Man, I think JiM might have been an accident.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Defiance Industries posted:

"YOU SHUT UP MOM!" the comic, huh? Between this and Iron Man, I think JiM might have been an accident.

Man, don't knock Young Avengers. It was a great book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It's more about growing up and realizing you can't count on your parents for ever. I liked it a lot.
It helps that the art was great.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lurdiak posted:

Man, don't knock Young Avengers. It was a great book.

Were the preview pages of every issue a fake-out? Because they were always intolerable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Young Avengers was great. It dealt with guilt in a lot of ways which I thought held a lot of weight in its story.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Gynovore posted:

I agree. The art is like that you'd see on some artsy-farty indy comic; you know, the ones with a print run of about 200 copies, and you read them so you can say 'oh I was reading that before everyone else'. For She-Hulk, it just doesn't work.

Are you talking about the fill-in artist Ron Wemberly? I can't fathom that someone could not like Javier Pulido's art. It's a perfect fit and just so incredibly fun! Then again I love John Romita Jr too and that somehow seems to be an unpopular opinion around here.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

It's a perfect fit and just so incredibly fun! Then again I love John Romita Jr too and that somehow seems to be an unpopular opinion around here.

The worst thing I can say about John Romita Jr is that he is not John Romita Sr.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The latest run of Young Avengers didn't do anything for me. I didn't like the art, the pairing of Kate + Marvel Boy, the Hulkling/Wiccan stuff, the terrible "evil parent from another dimension" storyline; the only reason I stuck with that book was because Miss America was a lot of fun and I was curious to see where he went with Loki(answer pretty much nowhere).

I did like the covers though.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

The latest run of Young Avengers didn't do anything for me. I didn't like the art, the pairing of Kate + Marvel Boy, the Hulkling/Wiccan stuff, the terrible "evil parent from another dimension" storyline; the only reason I stuck with that book was because Miss America was a lot of fun and I was curious to see where he went with Loki(answer pretty much nowhere).

I did like the covers though.

I think my biggest disappointment with that run was how quickly Tommy got shelved. I loved the little bits of him and David Alleyne/Prodigy doing superhero day job poo poo.

I did really enjoy the art and the stuff with Hulkling and Wiccan, though. The pacing of the actual plot felt really weird and I wish more had been done with Loki, since it felt like the ending of the series came kind of outta nowhere? "Oh, it's all Loki's fault!" only works if you've set up stuff to hint at that. I could just be remembering wrong and there was plenty of set-up but that aspect felt ... weird.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've generally liked his Iron Man a great deal more than YA, which was "fine" but as a sequel to JiM actually miserable, and it felt like it had a ton of promise then ended without ever using an antagonist that was even vaguely fun or interesting.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I really didn't like the Mother story and was upset to see the entire run was focused around it. Overall he seemed to be writing it for Tumblr. I don't think writing for a specific audience is bad at all. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Hulkling and Wiccan was another situation where you can totally see what he was doing but it fell flat. He wanted to show that a gay teen couple can have a totally normal relationship (even if they're superheroes, I guess) but if you're not emotionally invested in the characters that's kinda really boring.
But I liked his Iron Man (after the boring first "arc"), twists included, so make of my opinions what you will. I also really enjoy WicDiv. So Gillen is still tops as far as I'm concerned. Not a super huge fan of McKelvie, though, for the same reason I don't care much for Allred (and you can't hit me through the internet). They draw good individual panels but I don't like reading a comic composed entirely of them. Does that make sense? It's like an album full of songs that are pretty good but it's tiring to listen to the whole way through.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I've generally liked his Iron Man a great deal more than YA, which was "fine" but as a sequel to JiM actually miserable, and it felt like it had a ton of promise then ended without ever using an antagonist that was even vaguely fun or interesting.

Did Iron Man pick up after the fuckawful first couple of arcs?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DigitalRaven posted:

Did Iron Man pick up after the fuckawful first couple of arcs?
Given I find the adoption angle not at all troublesome I'm not sure where you'd say yes or no, but the mandarin rings as quasi-lantern parody was pretty neat and I like his brother.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Was it Young Avengers where Kate wonders aloud if she is the only straight person on the team?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The worst thing I can say about John Romita Jr is that he is not John Romita Sr.
He likes to draw dudes with noses that look like they lost one too many boxing matches and he really, really benefits from a good inker.

Beyond that, yeah, he is not JRSr. is about the worst I can say.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

MH Knights posted:

Was it Young Avengers where Kate wonders aloud if she is the only straight person on the team?
Yes

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pfft, Miss America caught Kate checking her out.

Also, Scarlet Mom.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Are you talking about the fill-in artist Ron Wemberly? I can't fathom that someone could not like Javier Pulido's art. It's a perfect fit and just so incredibly fun! Then again I love John Romita Jr too and that somehow seems to be an unpopular opinion around here.

Pulido's faces in She-Hulk are heinous. Just heinous. Everything else is gorgeous, I feel, but I just can't look at anyone.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Pulido can't seem to go one panel without drawing She-Hulk's eyes all wonky.

I swear I was being trolled when there was the one absurd Double Spread close up of just her eyes...and they were still out of alignment.

I love Soule but Pulido's She-Hulk faces are a big turn off and I keep wishing the cover artist would just do the interiors as well.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 16, 2014

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I swear I was being trolled when there was the one absurd Double Spread close up of just her eyes...and they were still out of alignment.

I love Soule but Pulido's She-Hulk faces are a big turn off and I keep wishing the cover artist would just do the interiors as well.

Goddamn I would go into bankruptcy just to get Kevin Wada to do interiors.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I actually really liked the double page eye spread and enjoy all the faces! Hellcat in particular has some great expressions. I don't even get the eye thing everyone seems to obsess over, they look completely fine to me.

The fill-in guy I thought was just awful though, everything looked so ugly. There was some piece on comics beat or a similar site raving about the fill-in art, so different strokes I guess.

I really wish Marvel and DC could go more of an Image route and just do breaks between arcs to let the artist catch up instead of this constant fill-in BS. Honestly Pulido is more of a draw for me than Soule, I absolutely adored his Hawkeye Annual too.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

December solicits are out, and man what is with Ales Kot's constant namedropping:

BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER #3
ALES KOT (W) • MARCO RUDY (A/C)
Variant Cover by Christian Ward
“WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU’RE DONE?”
• Winter Soldier meets his match. In fact, he meets two.
Mer’z’bow is a planet of many surprises — amongst them telepathy, romance, and space drugs.
• Fast forward two hundred years: what happens when the job is done? The answer will reveal to you the Marvel Universe as YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE!

It seriously makes his stuff unreadable. I really wanted this to be good. Hopefully we can still get Marco Rudy on a Dr Strange ongoing closer to the movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

So.. Why should I hate this book?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

December solicits are out, and man what is with Ales Kot's constant namedropping:

BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER #3
ALES KOT (W) • MARCO RUDY (A/C)
Variant Cover by Christian Ward
“WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU’RE DONE?”
• Winter Soldier meets his match. In fact, he meets two.
Mer’z’bow is a planet of many surprises — amongst them telepathy, romance, and space drugs.
• Fast forward two hundred years: what happens when the job is done? The answer will reveal to you the Marvel Universe as YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE!

It seriously makes his stuff unreadable. I really wanted this to be good. Hopefully we can still get Marco Rudy on a Dr Strange ongoing closer to the movie.
I...I don't get it :negative:

i've literally spent the last five minutes sounding that out every way possible and still nothing

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 17, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

I...I don't get it :negative:

I think its a reference to a Japanese musician. Since its a reference its bad and not something that writers have been doing since the beginning of time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing I've read by Kot is his recent Secret Avengers and I like it so I'll be tuning in despite this reference to something most people, including myself, will have no clue about.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

bobkatt013 posted:

I think its a reference to a Japanese musician. Since its a reference its bad and not something that writers have been doing since the beginning of time.

I don't know the author, but it's kinda on the nose when you just name the planet after the band/artist (like, it's not even a subtle reference to a song or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGzrL8J0t-c

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They can't all be as clever as Rocket Raccoon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Modern Leper posted:

I don't know the author, but it's kinda on the nose when you just name the planet after the band/artist (like, it's not even a subtle reference to a song or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGzrL8J0t-c

It's probably because I just started reading JoJo, which includes a bad guy literally named Red Hot Chili Pepper, but I find it cool to name stuff with bands in fiction.

The latest issue of Secret Avengers was kinda bad imo, but i'm still liking Kot.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Suzukic

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

It wouldn't be so bad on it's own but with Secret Avengers plot currently featuring French philosopher Jacques Derrida as the main villain, and half the team traipsing through South America to track down a reference to Jorge Luis Borges (Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius keeps showing up and the new issue just had a bunch of goons named after it and they just visited his birthplace for some reason), I really doubt it's gonna be as "subtle" as just naming a planet Merzbow. I was really enjoying Secret Avengers until the weird references became the actual plot and then that unforgivably awful Deadpool issue happened. I fully expect Bucky to have to actually fight Japanese noise musician Merzbow for some dumb reason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That sounds a lot like Wild Children, where Kot literally cut and pasted bits of The Wire and The Invisibles into his book to invest it with cultural significance or something. It was pretty dumb.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Picked up the newest Elektra and didnt know that Mike Del Mundo was no longer doing the art. I havent read it yet, but it still looks cool. Del Mundos art was my favorite thing about the series though, so it makes me sad to see it go.

Is he doing any other series regularly right now? Or have older stuff that I can check out? I have looked him up before and it seems like he has mostly done random covers and an issue here and there, but very little steadily. I hope I am wrong though.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Apparently Elektra is to be cancelled soon but Marvel have an unannounced series for Del Mundo to do next. Probably be announced at NYCC.

• Locked thread