Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I think I might reread Prophet actually, I read it as it came out and just let it wash over me like a Pynchon novel. Might be nice to read it to actually follow a story instead of just enjoying the art and general weirdness.

I sort of regret not following East of West - I'd like to catch up on both that and Manhattan Projects.

Copperhead #1 shows promise. I like the explicit admission that he wanted to do Deadwood in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

East of West is great. I felt like it was a little disjointed at first but it's been firing on all cylinders latley and the most recent issue was AWESOME.

Yeah, I feel like things have started cohering better. I look forward to EoW every month.

The last couple pages of this issue were just great. I honestly wasn't expecting that reveal even though in hindsight I should have. The arts is great to look at, and man, I'm just a sucker for Hickman-esque apocalypses. He's in his wheelhouse with this, I think, and it's just real cool.

(Part of me wonders what the rest of the world is up to while Death & co are faffing about with the Message in the sorta-US, but I know it doesn't really matter.)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

A Tin Of Beans posted:

(Part of me wonders what the rest of the world is up to while Death & co are faffing about with the Message in the sorta-US, but I know it doesn't really matter.)

You're in luck, in October we're getting the one-shot East of West: The World

quote:

A STAND ALONE, all-encompassing look at the wider world of EAST OF WEST. Part atlas, part encyclopedia, part timeline, and part apocrypha, EAST OF WEST: THE WORLD is the must-have one-shot companion to the spellbinding series.
NOTE: EAST OF WEST: THE WORLD will contain pivotal plot and character info that will not be in the regular series...so don't miss out!
The Apocalypse is illuminated in EAST OF WEST: THE WORLD.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Damnit, I should have picked up the first East of West trade, that sounds extremely my poo poo. Well, gotta wait til next paycheck.

My wife and her skill at budgeting...

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Martello posted:

Damnit, I should have picked up the first East of West trade, that sounds extremely my poo poo. Well, gotta wait til next paycheck.

My wife and her skill at budgeting...

Pick up both as fast as you can!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
East of West, Lazarus, and Annihilator were all fantastic reads this week. East of West really shook me with how it brought about its unexpected direction. Certainly, we all knew the Beast would be bound to have apocalyptic tendencies, but the idea that his whole perception is a lie is incredible. Meanwhile there's a war going on! Aaaargh, good comics. It's a great time to be alive and love indies.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Dawn of the Planet owns bones, so I'm really looking foward to "The Humans"

:allears:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Anyone else here read The Secret History? I just re-read Omnibus 1 and 2 and am starting on 3, which just came out a few weeks ago. It's really good if you like occult secret history stuff. The premise is, these four grandchildren of a pre-historic shaman are each given a powerful runestone capable of reality-altering magic. The four kids, known as archons, are immortal and the series follows them through history as they alternatively fight each other or work together to control world events. The first volume jumps through early history, from the Hebrew Exodus from Egypt to WWI. Volume 2 sticks mostly with WWII and a little after. So far, 3 is early Cold War and from the cover looks like it will get into the sixties at least.

The art is really good, very European in a good way. I love the interaction between the Archons and various real historical figures, often "explaining" historical mysteries or just why a certain battle went one way or the other. I highly recommend it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
That sounds like my kind of thing. Any tips on where to get vol 1?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Here.

You can only get it from third-party sellers now, and if you want it "new" it'll be 99 bucks. I'd say it's worth the 48 for the used, but I don't know what kind of disposable income you have.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Dawn of the Planet owns bones, so I'm really looking foward to "The Humans"

:allears:

Heh, the Image/1%er logo. :golfclap:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I finished Copra Round One. Is there any way to get 7-12 at the moment or am I at the mercy of a Compendium 3 reprint/waiting for Round Two? Because I'm fiending. That was awesome.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

TheQat posted:

I finished Copra Round One. Is there any way to get 7-12 at the moment or am I at the mercy of a Compendium 3 reprint/waiting for Round Two? Because I'm fiending. That was awesome.

Ahhhh my copy is supposed to arrive today. Can't wait.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got it at Baltimore Comic-Con and Fiffe signed it for me. :)

(Still need to read it.)

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

TheQat posted:

The compendiums are currently out of stock. I got mine used through eBay for close to their original price. Checking it now, there seems to be less listings available and finished auctions are indicating some ridiculously marked up prices. Keep in mind that the compendiums collect just three issues so you'd only be able to get up to #9 with Compendium 3 anyway. The only single issues still in print right now are 13-17, which work out to cost around 8 bucks per issue after shipping.

I'm okay with paying that premium however because every subsequent arc has continually upped the ante. If I were in your position, I'd probably wait for Round Two. I bought Round One myself just because the price was too good and I'll probably switch over to trade waiting once the new editions catch up to the current issues.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yesssss

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Sweet -- I got my copy as well. Absolutely love the cardstock covers!

I'm going to put off reading it for a while longer because I'm 150 pages into James Ellroy's new novel Perfidia, and I want to get it back to the library ASAP, but I'm thrilled to finally have Copra after over a year of hype and positive reviews.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/15/avatar-press-announces-crossed-100-an-ingenious-future-set-series-by-alan-moore-and-gabriel-andrade/

We now live in a world where Alan Moore will write an arc for Crossed.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Finally got around to Low #2. Very curious about where the book is going to go, but I really like the art and the world is crazy awesome.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Martello posted:

Anyone else here read The Secret History? I just re-read Omnibus 1 and 2 and am starting on 3, which just came out a few weeks ago. It's really good if you like occult secret history stuff. The premise is, these four grandchildren of a pre-historic shaman are each given a powerful runestone capable of reality-altering magic. The four kids, known as archons, are immortal and the series follows them through history as they alternatively fight each other or work together to control world events. The first volume jumps through early history, from the Hebrew Exodus from Egypt to WWI. Volume 2 sticks mostly with WWII and a little after. So far, 3 is early Cold War and from the cover looks like it will get into the sixties at least.

The art is really good, very European in a good way. I love the interaction between the Archons and various real historical figures, often "explaining" historical mysteries or just why a certain battle went one way or the other. I highly recommend it.

I just looked into this and it is pretty much exactly my poo poo, thanks a lot. Out of interest, it looks like the French book concluded years ago and the Omnibus Volume 3 is the first English release in years. Do you know what the plans are for the rest of the series in English? I really really hate getting wrapped up in a story and then finding out I'll never get to see the end

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of french books, I read the first issue of a comic called Siegfried that blew my socks off a couple of years ago. Its based off the Wagner Rings cycle, and is the recovered remnants of botched animated project from the 80s. Its also pretty rad. Anyone know if there any subsequent issues published in the states? Internet is not being helpful.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shageletic posted:

Speaking of french books, I read the first issue of a comic called Siegfried that blew my socks off a couple of years ago. Its based off the Wagner Rings cycle, and is the recovered remnants of botched animated project from the 80s. Its also pretty rad. Anyone know if there any subsequent issues published in the states? Internet is not being helpful.

The Valkyrie is out. I think there's supposed to be a third volume. I also really wish The Secret Volume Omnibus 1 were still commonly available.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Oh also re: French books, I talked to the NBM guys at SPX and there's new Dungeon coming out, and also reprints of the older stuff.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I just looked into this and it is pretty much exactly my poo poo, thanks a lot. Out of interest, it looks like the French book concluded years ago and the Omnibus Volume 3 is the first English release in years. Do you know what the plans are for the rest of the series in English? I really really hate getting wrapped up in a story and then finding out I'll never get to see the end

That's a good question. There was a siginficant lag between volume 2 and volume 3, so who knows. There also is supposed to be an omnibus of the Games of Chance spin-off, which as far as I can tell is more about the regular human "players" and less about the immortal archons. It sounds awesome and is referenced in the regular omnibuses, but it was listed on Amazon for over a year and eventually just switched to "Currently unavailable." It's hard to find much of anything about this series on the web, unfortunately.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

If any of you haven't bought Copra Round One yet looks like it's gonna get a bit easier to do so now that it'll be available through diamond.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have the best boyfriend ever.

From his trip to Montreal he bought me a copy of the latest Blacksad, in the original French...

... and personally translated it for me!

:swoon:

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Hedrigall posted:

I have the best boyfriend ever.

From his trip to Montreal he bought me a copy of the latest Blacksad, in the original French...

... and personally translated it for me!

:swoon:

Haha, dont lose those post-its!

Thats pretty awesome though!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That is loving awesome!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
And the rest of us have to wait another month.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going to be so sad the day the glue all fails and the post-its come pouring out. There must be hundreds in there!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Martello posted:

And the rest of us have to wait another month.

Waiting sucks but I'm really happy that American publishers are making the effort to bring cool Euro comics to the English-speaking audience. Like I still can't believe we're going to get the complete Corto Maltese next year.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moot the hopple posted:

Waiting sucks but I'm really happy that American publishers are making the effort to bring cool Euro comics to the English-speaking audience. Like I still can't believe we're going to get the complete Corto Maltese next year.

For real? Holy poo poo!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

moot the hopple posted:

I love finding new Euro comics and really miss the old Euro comics thread. Can anyone sell me on Corto Maltese? Also, Amazon just shows one Corto Maltese volume (of 12) coming out in December. Does that mean they're going to try for a monthly release or is there an omnibus-like book that you're talking about?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

GrandpaPants posted:

I love finding new Euro comics and really miss the old Euro comics thread. Can anyone sell me on Corto Maltese? Also, Amazon just shows one Corto Maltese volume (of 12) coming out in December. Does that mean they're going to try for a monthly release or is there an omnibus-like book that you're talking about?

I don't know if it will be monthly, but it will be 12 volumes in the original oversized format with a brand new English translation: http://www.idwpublishing.com/the-complete-corto-maltese-to-be-published-in-english-for-the-first-time/

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't really vouch for it personally since I'm waiting on the new translation like everyone else, but it seems to be one of those cherished, seminal series that a lot of comics luminaries hold in high regard. Ballad of the Salt Sea has been on my radar after hearing it mentioned in a couple of interviews and best-of lists, though I don't think it will be included in the very first volume that IDW is releasing. Maybe it'll end up as one of those things that people say they enjoy to seem fashionable and it won't click with me, but I'm curious enough about its sterling reputation to check out whether it's truly deserved.

Speaking of European comics, I wrote this about the Norwegian cartoonist Jason earlier this year:

moot the hopple posted:

I've been reading through the works of the cartoonist Jason (aka John Arne Sæterøy) lately. He's always been on my peripheral but I finally bought a couple of his books off Amazon because I had some leftover credit. I'm now completely hooked, these are some seriously charming funnybooks. It's kind of hard to nail down their exact tone because everything is so understated and low-key. They're definitely funny, but not in like a knee-slapping, joke and punchline kind of way. They're also surprisingly emotionally complex, with the absurdist premise and the fact that the characters are anthropomorphic animals becoming minor, backseat details to the more interesting relationships explored in each book. Some books are funnier or more poignant than others, but every one I've read so far has struck a chord with me in the end.

I breezed through Hey, Wait..., I Killed Adolf Hitler, Lost Cat, Werewolves of Montpellier, and The Left Bank Gang and now have the rest of his work via Fantagraphics on order. I'd probably recommend either I Killed Adolf Hitler or Werewolves of Montpellier as a decent intro to anyone is interested.

I'm pretty much caught up with the rest of of his bibliography at this point (I think a couple of his books might be out of print or just unavailable from Amazon/Fantagraphics last I checked?), and it's probably the best comics discovery I've had in a long while. Some of his earlier stuff is flawed with a bit of stiffness and sterility, but I'd say he hits his stride by the time he starts working with the colorist Hubert. I'm almost hesitant to recommend a particular book by Jason because I don't want to give the wrong impression and it's really hard to choose just one book that's fully representative of what makes him so great. I'll just repeat that I stand by my earlier review after getting more exposure to his work. Probably not selling him properly, but I do hope people check Jason out because I think his books are very worthwhile.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

moot the hopple posted:

I'm pretty much caught up with the rest of of his bibliography at this point (I think a couple of his books might be out of print or just unavailable from Amazon/Fantagraphics last I checked?), and it's probably the best comics discovery I've had in a long while. Some of his earlier stuff is flawed with a bit of stiffness and sterility, but I'd say he hits his stride by the time he starts working with the colorist Hubert. I'm almost hesitant to recommend a particular book by Jason because I don't want to give the wrong impression and it's really hard to choose just one book that's fully representative of what makes him so great. I'll just repeat that I stand by my earlier review after getting more exposure to his work. Probably not selling him properly, but I do hope people check Jason out because I think his books are very worthwhile.

I read Werewolves of Montpellier over a year ago; it and everything I have read by Jason is wonderful. He can be very low key tone wise, so it's weird to get so excited about his work. He deserves it, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

I can't really vouch for it personally since I'm waiting on the new translation like everyone else, but it seems to be one of those cherished, seminal series that a lot of comics luminaries hold in high regard. Ballad of the Salt Sea has been on my radar after hearing it mentioned in a couple of interviews and best-of lists, though I don't think it will be included in the very first volume that IDW is releasing. Maybe it'll end up as one of those things that people say they enjoy to seem fashionable and it won't click with me, but I'm curious enough about its sterling reputation to check out whether it's truly deserved.

Corto Maltese is basically adult Tintin. It's well written, drawn, and researched adventure serials starring a Jewish gypsy rogue traveler.

In the 80s NBM released a few unadulterated, full-size 12"x9" black-and-white volumes based on the original Italian art. The Ballad of the Salt Sea also saw a reprint in the late 90s by a different publisher. They are long out of print and range from $50 to $150+.

Throughout the 80s the series was hacked to a 9x7 format and colored for the French editions. Furthermore the layout is hacked to bits with panels being moved about to the point where 30 something pages are added. Seriously, look at this hack job. Also the line art is bafflingly low-res with aliased, jaggy lineart and artifacts. I have no idea what happened here because French comics are normally known for their high print quality. I don't know why they resized it, maybe Pratt's estates demanded that the French editions had to suck who knows?

The Ballad of the Salt Sea was re-translated in English in 2012 but it was the lovely Castermann French version.

So IDW has somehow got hold of the original Italian black-and-white prints that haven't been seen for 40 years! This is huge because the original Italian versions of Corto Maltese have been out of print for just as long as the English.

So IDW gets a million points on my "cool dudes" chart.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah, the expensive and subpar versions floating around is mainly what kept me from checking it out earlier. IDW seems like they're trying for the most definitive and true-to-original version of Corto Maltese.

The Action Man posted:

I read Werewolves of Montpellier over a year ago; it and everything I have read by Jason is wonderful. He can be very low key tone wise, so it's weird to get so excited about his work. He deserves it, though.

As a lit geek, I think my favorite has got to be The Left Bank Gang which is about the Lost Generation expats re-imagined as cartoonists and then bank robbers (and also depicted as animals as per his style). Even ignoring the unlikely mashups of this premise, Jason still weaves a legitimate heist caper with all the hallmarks of plot twists and betrayals you'd typically expect. But I think what elevates it is the authenticity and groundedness of his fictionalized characters. In a really tight amount of pages, Jason is able to capture the tumultuous relationship of the Fitzgeralds, Fitzgerald's and Hemingway's friendship, and Gertrude Stein's mentorship of Hemingway (the scene where she dictates her rules of writings but in comics terms is pretty much spot-on perfect). There's a really insightful eloquence to his characters that cuts down to the core and makes all the other wacky things going on much more approachable, which I think is true for all of his works.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

New Rat Queens this week!

Totally dug the new insights into Dwarven culture, as well as the replacement knight character specifically. Didn't seem to advance the "bigger story" too much, but that was fine. I think we're no longer at the point where every single issue seems brilliant, but that's almost better for settling into what could be a long, consistently really enjoyable, run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Jason Aarons new book Men of Wrath is pretty good. It has the same kind of southern gothic feel as Southern Bastards.