Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Yossarko posted:

Ok this might sound stupid but...

I have thousands of contacts in gmail, anyone I've corresponded with in the last... 12 years... And I don't want 99% of them cluttering up my contacts on the phone. I have a folder on my computer (windows contacts) synced from iPhone and they are all people I call, neatly filled out, etc.

I don't want to delete contacts from Gmail though because it's handy to have their address pop up while composing a mail...

Am I just crazy for separating phone contacts and mail contacts or do I just not understand correctly ?

I think Android only shows contacts that are in My Contacts, so if you go to contacts.google.com and move everybody out of My Contacts that you don't want showing up on your phone, then you'll have everything how you want it. Some phones might have an option in the dialer for which contact groups to show, but I couldn't find any such option on my Moto X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think Android only shows contacts that are in My Contacts, so if you go to contacts.google.com and move everybody out of My Contacts that you don't want showing up on your phone, then you'll have everything how you want it. Some phones might have an option in the dialer for which contact groups to show, but I couldn't find any such option on my Moto X.

It's there, in the contacts app, press the 3-dots, then choose "Contacts to Display" then choose "Customize".

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Yossarko posted:

...what's the "proper" way to sync and back up on Android ? I don't really care about photos, music or videos: just settings, contacts, messages, notes etc.

Anything else I should know, coming over from iOS ? I have no idea about alternative keyboards or messaging apps, for example. I just used what iOS gave me.

Photos/music/video are probably the easiest, though you don't care much about those-- quite easy to backup to Google Drive or a Dropobox account automatically.

Others have answered the contacts/messages bit.

For notes, use Google Keep. Then you can get to them online or on your next phone.

Alternative keyboards: stock is pretty OK, you may want to try out Swiftkey or Swype or Kii (Kii is great if you use multiple languages) for some variety if you get bored. There are a few other crazy keyboards out there, too, such as Fleksy.

effika fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 14, 2014

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Geektox posted:

It's there, in the contacts app, press the 3-dots, then choose "Contacts to Display" then choose "Customize".

Not on my 4.4.4 Moto X. I've got Import/export, Clear frequents, New contact, All contacts, and Settings. There's no contact stuff in Settings either.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going back and reading the Hangouts/GV merge posts and I'm still confused beyond all gently caress.

I'm on a Verizon Galaxy S3 with the newest CM11 nightlies. For over a year now, all of my Google Voice texts in both GV and Hangouts have taken hours to days to receive, but outgoing are always sent instantly.

Now I got the merge invite and everything is a mess.

1) I want my phone to use outgoing caller ID as my GV number, so I assume the GV app is still required?

2) Cyanogen enables a Voice+ thing that sends SMS through your GV number, but it looks like Hangouts can do the same thing? Do I disable Voice+ now?

3) Thank god I just saw voice.google.com and it faded out the checkbox to receive texts to my phone (because I'm receiving over Hangouts), and I was confused whether I should check it before.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Do I need to do anything special to get google authenticator working on a new phone and/or after a factory reset? It's not based on my account it's based on the phone, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Not on my 4.4.4 Moto X. I've got Import/export, Clear frequents, New contact, All contacts, and Settings. There's no contact stuff in Settings either.
He's referring to the People app, though you're more correct in that most people interact with contacts through other apps (the dialer, Hangouts) and those all have their own filtering mechanisms.

myron cope posted:

Do I need to do anything special to get google authenticator working on a new phone and/or after a factory reset? It's not based on my account it's based on the phone, right?
No, just go through the procedure again. You might want to consider Authy which allows you to not only backup and restore your 2FA, but also have it on multiple devices so that you'll never have to re-set them up ever again.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

He's referring to the People app, though you're more correct in that most people interact with contacts through other apps (the dialer, Hangouts) and those all have their own filtering mechanisms.

I couldn't have even told you that there was a People app. :shobon:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

How is the swiping function on Kii compared to Swype or SwiftKey?

I've preferred Swype in the past because its swiping accuracy is much better than SwiftKey, but then it was turned into this laggy piece of poo poo by Nuance. SwiftKey is much less laggy, but Flow leaves me frustrated with how inaccurate it can be.

I switch between 2 languages interchangeably in whatever text I write on my phone, and swiping for the second language isn't supported by Google yet, so the stock keyboard is out.

anakha fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 14, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

In my experience, Kii is pretty good at swiping. Swype is still the best, but as you said, it's a laggy piece of poo poo. In terms of swiping capability I'd say it's Swype > Kii > > > > > Swiftkey

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Authy really is great. I have to wonder how they make any money though...

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I couldn't have even told you that there was a People app. :shobon:

Oops! That's what I always have thought of as the Contacts app, my bad.

LastInLine posted:

No, just go through the procedure again. You might want to consider Authy which allows you to not only backup and restore your 2FA, but also have it on multiple devices so that you'll never have to re-set them up ever again.

While I understand the appeal of not having to re-setup, doesn't this also just defeat the purpose of 2-Factor Authentication in the first place? I'm no security expert but what are the chances of their databases being hacked and having the information contained therein linked to specific users?

Geektox fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 15, 2014

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Geektox posted:

While I understand the appeal of not having to re-setup, doesn't this also just defeat the purpose of 2-Factor Authentication in the first place? I'm no security expert but what are the chances of their databases being hacked and having the information contained therein linked to specific users?

You can also just take a screenshot/print out the QR code you use to set up the authenticator and scan it with whatever device you want to have the authenticator on.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Geektox posted:

Oops! That's what I always have thought of as the Contacts app, my bad.

The People app is probably more of a "contacts" app than the dialer is. I've just always used the dialer because I end up dialing more numbers by hand than calling people in my contact list.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

anakha posted:

How is the swiping function on Kii compared to Swype or SwiftKey?

I've preferred Swype in the past because its swiping accuracy is much better than SwiftKey, but then it was turned into this laggy piece of poo poo by Nuance. SwiftKey is much less laggy, but Flow leaves me frustrated with how inaccurate it can be.

I switch between 2 languages interchangeably in whatever text I write on my phone, and swiping for the second language isn't supported by Google yet, so the stock keyboard is out.

I got used to it after a few days- the fact that it doesn't lag makes up for the inaccuracies you'll run into when you use two languages. The thing I really like about Kii is that I don't have to change languages- I can swipe the word I want in whatever language and it usually gets it right. If you just want one language it's much more accurate.

Sometimes I miss Swype, but I didn't even download it on my new phone.

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh

hotsauce posted:

I think they make money by apps that use its api to authenticate users

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

When I'm using Google Navigation and any music app, the navigation instructions are always many multitudes louder than my music. This is entirely unnecessary as Navigation pauses music while it's reading off instructions.

Music and navigation volume seem to be tied together. Is there an app that allows for per-app volume control? If there isn't, how can I make my audio files louder?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Geektox posted:

There are a few protections. One, the tokens are encrypted with a password of your choosing. Two, you need a password to open the app (or a PIN on the phone app) which is a further layer of protection. And last, you can't activate Authy in a new location without authorizing it on a previously accessed location.

You can see how each method could be defeated but it's unlikely they all will be and even if they were it's still not your credentials, it's just the token.

Also I'd note the biggest advantage to me isn't that I don't have to re-set it up, it's that I don't have to pull out my phone to use 2FA at work or at my browser. It's made actually using 2FA so convenient that I've gone to not having any trusted devices at all which is far preferable to having 2FA but then not using it.

hotsauce posted:

They sell the service to businesses so they can implement 2FA on their internal products.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skywalker OG posted:

When I'm using Google Navigation and any music app, the navigation instructions are always many multitudes louder than my music. This is entirely unnecessary as Navigation pauses music while it's reading off instructions.

Music and navigation volume seem to be tied together. Is there an app that allows for per-app volume control? If there isn't, how can I make my audio files louder?

This happens to me, too, with a Nexus 4. I'd also be happy with turning down the navigation volume. Anything to equalize the two.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Farchanter posted:

sorry it's a repeat, but thanks for the help!
Podcast Addict is excellent, as well.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Ohvee posted:

Podcast Addict is excellent, as well.

Ditto. It also does chromecast, which I recently found out.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Do any of these podcast apps allow you to manage/sync your podcasts with your computer (preferably OS X) or a web client of some sort?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Another hangouts question! My friend has contact groups in gmail, how would he group SMS an entire group without typing in each persons info?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

dik-dik posted:

Do any of these podcast apps allow you to manage/sync your podcasts with your computer (preferably OS X) or a web client of some sort?
I used to use https://player.fm/ and at the time all of your subscriptions were handled through the webpage and then reflected in the app. It's been over a year since I used it, though, so i'm not sure if that is how it works still.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

Another hangouts question! My friend has contact groups in gmail, how would he group SMS an entire group without typing in each persons info?
Type the group name into the box, it auto-completes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Has anyone had this issue with Touchdown before? When someone using Touchdown sends a calendar invite to someone else using Touchdown, and that person accepts it from their Touchdown app, the event doesn't appear on the recipient's Touchdown calendar. It WILL show in Outlook for them (this is with Exchange 2003), but no amount of syncing will get it to appear on their Touchdown calendar.

But what's especially weird is that invites sent from outlook and accepted in Touchdown will work, and invites sent from Touchdown and accepted in Outlook will work (and they'll show up in Touchdown). And like I said, invites sent from Touchdown and accepted in Touchdown will show up in Outlook, just not in Touchdown. It doesn't make any sense why that would happen. I've replicated this with a few other phones connected to our exchange server.

gently caress Touchdown.

edit: And I guess Touchdown was bought by Symantec recently, who doesn't seem to provide nearly as much support as Nitrodesk did.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 15, 2014

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Switch to nine if you can.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

kri kri posted:

Switch to nine if you can.

I'm so mad that I bought Touchdown before I found out about Nine. I switched to Nine a few months ago and haven't looked back since. It really is fantastic.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Alright so I downloaded Nine and it seems pretty great. I'm going to start using it instead. Seems like the same issue still happens though. If someone creates a meeting invite with Touchdown and I accept it with Nine, it doesn't appear on my phone's calendar. I have to go open it in outlook, then save it, then it will sync with it. Very strange. I suppose that's a question for the Exchange thread though.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

OK this might sound silly but I've just switched to Android and its quite nice but... Boy is the system font ugly. I mean, I'm not trying to be a helvetica hipster but... Ugh! Anything i can do ?

Nexus 5 on 4.4.3

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Yossarko posted:

OK this might sound silly but I've just switched to Android and its quite nice but... Boy is the system font ugly. I mean, I'm not trying to be a helvetica hipster but... Ugh! Anything i can do ?

Nexus 5 on 4.4.3

HiFont is your best option if you're not rooted. Disregard the lovely fonts in the screenshots, you can toss your own TTFs onto your phone and use those instead.

I use Archivo Narrow. Also, note that OTF support is spotty, and the loaded font will typically do faux bolding/italics.

EDIT: Realtalk though, Roboto is a way better screen font than Helvetica Neue.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Yossarko posted:

Anything i can do ?

Nexus 5 on 4.4.3

Update it to 4.4.4? :haw:

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

f#a# posted:

EDIT: Realtalk though, Roboto is a way better screen font than Helvetica Neue.

Mhhh, you think? I'm a graphic designer and long time iOS user so it just seems so... robotic... to me. Not elegant. Too condensed. But I'll try to live with it - I'd rather a robot font than faux bold.

RVProfootballer posted:

Update it to 4.4.4? :haw:

That's done :) My Nexus arrived yesterday and proposed 4.4.3 before proposing 4.4.4.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Yossarko posted:

Mhhh, you think? I'm a graphic designer and long time iOS user so it just seems so... robotic... to me. Not elegant. Too condensed. But I'll try to live with it - I'd rather a robot font than faux bold.

Who'd have thought a font called Roboto Condensed could seem robotic and condensed? :D

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Well, I didn't know what it was called until I searched Google :) But they picked a good name!

Next question, I'm pretty sure I know the answer but... I added a second [work] Gmail account and everything seems sweet except for Gmail, I was hoping for the possibility of a unified inbox but I have to switch from account to account. I know alternatives exist (I used Mailbox on iOS) but was thinking of maybe going the full Google way on the Nexus (for the full seamless experience)... is this possible (or is it coming), or is there maybe some widget or way to get official Gmail to work unified?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

wooger posted:

Seriously? Ads + junked up feed (favourites) + garbage interactions tab, ew. Plus no dark mode theme...

I use Fenix, it's great, the best twitter has ever been on Android.

$4.96 AUD for a twitter app.

No thanks.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How is Google Now? Is it worth having on?

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I think it depends if you have uses for it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people find it useful but personally it doesn't do much for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

How is Google Now? Is it worth having on?
I personally couldn't imagine not having it. It's just so amazingly convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Yossarko posted:

Well, I didn't know what it was called until I searched Google :) But they picked a good name!

Next question, I'm pretty sure I know the answer but... I added a second [work] Gmail account and everything seems sweet except for Gmail, I was hoping for the possibility of a unified inbox but I have to switch from account to account. I know alternatives exist (I used Mailbox on iOS) but was thinking of maybe going the full Google way on the Nexus (for the full seamless experience)... is this possible (or is it coming), or is there maybe some widget or way to get official Gmail to work unified?

Setting up your secondary Gmail account to forward to your primary should do what you want. When you send email, you can change which account it is sent from just by a pull down menu in the email draft itself. When you reply, it should default to which account received the email. Obviously this will change things for your email on PC or other devices and may not be what you want, but I think this is your only way to "unify" your inboxes in the Gmail Android app.

• Locked thread