Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Angrymog posted:

Your feet smell. For some reason cats like smelly feet.

Tali loves toes and feet, in the morning she will nuzzle my feet (I'm the one who gets up and opens the door for her to get into the bedroom she's been meowing at for the past 20 minutes) and nip at my boyfriend's toes. At the end of the day she clings to his feet and bites at his toes, which we're trying to get her to stop doing by pushing her off, sternly telling her no, and giving her a toy to play with instead. If she won't stop she gets ignored for a few minutes. She also is obsessed with my sneakers and slippers, I wake up to find my shoes on the other side of the apartment after she'd had her fun with them. She hugs my sneakers and sticks her head in them and does her little rabbit-feet kicking on the heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What are my options for long term dental care for a cat?

Cat had some funky drool back in march, smelled pretty to, took him to the vet, they found an infection, gave him a clean-up, everything seemed fine, fast forward to June, he seems a bit lethargic, take him in, tooth infection, get it cleared it up they do another clean-up, though the assistant asks me if this is the first clean-up, said he loads of poo poo stuck between his gums, I told him it was his 2nd clean-up at the same place and he looks at me funny. He got a bad fever after the clean-up and had to stay a night, but he recovered and has been fine since.

Today I noticed the same bit lethargy, I feel its another infection, I'll take him in tomorrow.

My question is, how can I prevent this? I don't wanna keep taking him in for clean-ups, the vet suggested I just give him Tuna which I have been doing so I don't know what could be causing the infection.

He's 8 years old and his teeth are pretty bad, he's missing a bunch already as well.

Beyond that, he seems to be fine, he's still eating, moving around and playing. Still as affectionate as ever.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 12, 2014

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Ive forgotten how active young cats are and how... fun they are to have cooped up in one room. The home visit went well and we brought home Freddie this evening. He is five months old. We are keeping him in my room until he gets used to the house. Thankfully our other cats get along with him. Or one more than the other. The oldest tolerates him unless he gets to close and then she will hiss/swat him across the face. She does that to everyone though.

Thus far he has jumped on top of every dresser/table/chair/desk in the room.. multiple times. Has also done some amazing acrobatics while playing. I also had to block the door because he can fit underneath it. Overall he is a great cat, just have to get use to having one so active... and friendly As soon as I sit down somewhere he stars purring and rubbing against me non stop. I can bend down to pick him up and he will start purring. Has also tried to jump in my lap while writing this. Hoping I can get some sleep tonight without him pestering me to much.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Cassie appears to be feeling much much better and much happier now that she's got bedroom priveleges back, she has been super cuddly once more and has been curling up next to me to nap with me. Hooray!

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
So my cat Gizmo has this weird black crap on the side of his mouth, it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, but I figured I should ask if anyone knows what it is in case it's bad 'cause it's been there for a while.

this was taken a few minutes ago and after I picked some of it off so it's not as bad in the picture as it was a few minutes ago, most of it came off pretty easily but some of it was stuck there.

Friendly Smiling
Sep 22, 2010

ComicsandSlushies posted:

So my cat Gizmo has this weird black crap on the side of his mouth, it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, but I figured I should ask if anyone knows what it is in case it's bad 'cause it's been there for a while.

this was taken a few minutes ago and after I picked some of it off so it's not as bad in the picture as it was a few minutes ago, most of it came off pretty easily but some of it was stuck there.

Probably cat acne. If you're using a plastic food bowl, switch to glass or metal. Some cats are allergic to the plastic, and if you don't wash them super well and/or often enough, they can build up gross bacterial loads.

Hi, I've never posted in this thread before but I wanted advice on introducing cats to each other. A new roommate just moved in with two new cats who are bonded and athletic and active, and my cat is a constantly anxious obese piece of poo poo. She's nice to people, but it seems she is not a fan of the two new ones (e:cats). I read the advice in the OP before doing this, and we currently have the cats segregated by a door in the middle of the apartment, but it's been almost a full week that they've been apart and mine still hisses at the crack in the door when she hears the others on the other side. Is there a sign I should wait for before finally attempting to introduce them again? Early off (against my wishes) the cats met several times in person and it didn't go particularly well: hissing, yowling, a swipe before being separated, and one night the door separating them got left open and mine was hiding in my room when I found her and had poo poo on the floor. All the advice around the internet says the same stupid poo poo about rubbing cats with socks and letting them smell each other, but I can't find any advice on rebuilding from a poor first impression or anything. Has anyone dealt with a territorial cat that had two sudden new intruders? Idkwtf!!

Friendly Smiling fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 13, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trunchbox Plus posted:

:words: ... All the advice around the internet says the same stupid poo poo about rubbing cats with socks and letting them smell each other, but I can't find any advice on rebuilding from a poor first impression or anything. Has anyone dealt with a territorial cat that had two sudden new intruders? Idkwtf!!

I'm introducing some cats to each other right now. Things happen progressively. Was the apartment pretty much your whole cat's territory previously?

One thing that we felt helped with our pair (who are admittedly both lazy, passive cats) was letting them take turns with certain rooms. Trigger would spend time in my bedroom while Cashew had the common area, then Cashew would go to the roommate's bedroom and Trigger had the common area. I feel like it helped them get used to being around each others' smells.

Friendly Smiling
Sep 22, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I'm introducing some cats to each other right now. Things happen progressively. Was the apartment pretty much your whole cat's territory previously?

One thing that we felt helped with our pair (who are admittedly both lazy, passive cats) was letting them take turns with certain rooms. Trigger would spend time in my bedroom while Cashew had the common area, then Cashew would go to the roommate's bedroom and Trigger had the common area. I feel like it helped them get used to being around each others' smells.

Yes, the whole apartment was my cat's territory.

We had been switching the rooms they were in until the door-left-open incident, at which point I figured we should try again at square one.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Turns out its not a teeth issue, he has cancer, that's why he's having trouble eating, my options are chemo or put him to sleep.

I saw this cat being born, he's been with me for 8 years, I don't know what to do right now. :smith:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Alteisen posted:

Turns out its not a teeth issue, he has cancer, that's why he's having trouble eating, my options are chemo or put him to sleep.

I saw this cat being born, he's been with me for 8 years, I don't know what to do right now. :smith:

That sucks, man. Geez. :(

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013

Trunchbox Plus posted:

Probably cat acne. If you're using a plastic food bowl, switch to glass or metal. Some cats are allergic to the plastic, and if you don't wash them super well and/or often enough, they can build up gross bacterial loads.

From what I can find on google it looks like you're right, now my question is does anyone know of good ways of treating it that doesn't involve going to the vet? other than keeping the food/water bowls clean of course.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Trunchbox Plus posted:

Seconding this; this is definitely cat acne. If you can't switch to glass/metal/ceramic bowls, wash the bowls every day. Cleaning the affected area with a moist towel every now and then seems to help my cats.

E: ^^^ don't worry too much, it's not a major issue

Trunchbox Plus posted:

Hi, I've never posted in this thread before but I wanted advice on introducing cats to each other. A new roommate just moved in with two new cats who are bonded and athletic and active, and my cat is a constantly anxious obese piece of poo poo. She's nice to people, but it seems she is not a fan of the two new ones (e:cats). I read the advice in the OP before doing this, and we currently have the cats segregated by a door in the middle of the apartment, but it's been almost a full week that they've been apart and mine still hisses at the crack in the door when she hears the others on the other side. Is there a sign I should wait for before finally attempting to introduce them again? Early off (against my wishes) the cats met several times in person and it didn't go particularly well: hissing, yowling, a swipe before being separated, and one night the door separating them got left open and mine was hiding in my room when I found her and had poo poo on the floor. All the advice around the internet says the same stupid poo poo about rubbing cats with socks and letting them smell each other, but I can't find any advice on rebuilding from a poor first impression or anything. Has anyone dealt with a territorial cat that had two sudden new intruders? Idkwtf!!

Try getting a Feliway diffuser, it should help a bit.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Alteisen posted:

Sorry to hear. :smith: The blunt truth is, if you think he can make it through with a good quality of life, it comes down to your finances. Don't bankrupt yourself to delay what is ultimately inevitable. Have a good talk with your vet about the long term prognosis and cost, and make a call. This is coming from someone who just spent several grand getting a cat through pancreatitis and diabetes. If our buddy had been diagnosed with cancer, we may have made a different call. Unfortunately cats can't understand chemo and surgery, and the quality of life issues should be taken into account. This unfortunately is inevitably part of the responsibility of taking another creature into your care. If it means anything, an 8-year old is considered borderline geriatric for cats.

Friendly Smiling
Sep 22, 2010

duckfarts posted:

Try getting a Feliway diffuser, it should help a bit.
Yeah, have had one in for the past week or so. Is there a sweet spot of time plugged in that I should be waiting for?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ComicsandSlushies posted:

From what I can find on google it looks like you're right, now my question is does anyone know of good ways of treating it that doesn't involve going to the vet? other than keeping the food/water bowls clean of course.

I was just at the vet with a cat who has this issue, he suggested rubbing her chin (where she gets the cat zits) with a warm damp cloth. The vet gave her chin a rubbing while we were there and that worked out most of the gunk.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well I had an exciting day. Mia jumped off a third story balcony and fell about 40 feet onto a lawn, several hours and a few hundred in X-rays later and the vet says the only thing wrong with her is she's panting from being freaked out and she has a cut on her chin. Cats really do have 9 lives.

Mostly I think she's just pissed off that she got taken to the vet.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just picked up fats from the vet after an overnight stay for a urine sample after I noticed she refused to user her box and was passing some blood.

They've got the sample off for culture, but the vet recommended royal canin so as a switch as long term management of FLUTD. along with oral antibiotics 2x a day for a while.
JFC is that stuff expensive, and I already feed a half wet/half kibble (Merrick before grain or bistro whatever the gently caress they've branded it now) diet with plenty of water.

Home much of a difference does the food make, does it really prevent more than other brands? IS any urinary management food ok? Can I switch both cats over to make life easier vs segregating mealtimes?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Put Rocky to sleep today.

He's not the first animal I've laid to rest but he was certainly the hardest. Stayed for the whole thing, held him like a baby as he drifted off, a fighter till the end.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

toplitzin posted:

Just picked up fats from the vet after an overnight stay for a urine sample after I noticed she refused to user her box and was passing some blood.

They've got the sample off for culture, but the vet recommended royal canin so as a switch as long term management of FLUTD. along with oral antibiotics 2x a day for a while.
JFC is that stuff expensive, and I already feed a half wet/half kibble (Merrick before grain or bistro whatever the gently caress they've branded it now) diet with plenty of water.

Home much of a difference does the food make, does it really prevent more than other brands? IS any urinary management food ok? Can I switch both cats over to make life easier vs segregating mealtimes?

The prescription urinary diets do a really good job of preventing stone/crystal formation in the urine. Sometimes you can get away with FLUTD with just using only wet food and encouraging more water intake, but sometimes you do need to use the urinary diet. There are several companies that make urinary food - not all vets carry all of them because it's expensive to do so, so they generally pick the one that they have the most success with/like the company better/like the other foods in the line better.

Be careful about over the counter "urinary" foods. I've seen several that exist that claim to prevent stones and crystals just like their RX brethren. The RX foods have trials to back up their claims, most of the OTC ones do not. I've seen a few cats who were placed on OTC urinary food that re-flared because the food wasn't good enough, but I don't know how many cats there are on those diets. I had not seen a cat on RX re-flare.

You can switch both cats over to the urinary food as long as it is a maintenance urinary food. Most of them are.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I guess I'll have to wait and see if it was stones/crystals or stress/idopathic.

FWIW: Neither cat has had any interest in the royal canin sample they gave me. perhaps when its the only choice.

Edit: Thanks for the nice explanation, really helpful!

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 14, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Kitty putting on a bit of weight, is daily kcal intake for a cat something i can safely calculate myself or is it vet time?

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Alteisen posted:

He's not the first animal I've laid to rest but he was certainly the hardest. Stayed for the whole thing, held him like a baby as he drifted off, a fighter till the end.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I'm sorry to hear that, it's honestly the hardest thing.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Alteisen posted:

*snip*

Stayed for the whole thing, held him like a baby as he drifted off, a fighter till the end.

drat. I don't know if I could ever do that. Sorry for your loss.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheAngryDrunk posted:

drat. I don't know if I could ever do that. Sorry for your loss.

Truth be told I didn't wanna do it, but I saw him being born, was there when he opened his eyes, I was the first person he saw and heard, its only fitting I be there for the end.

I gave him a good life, I did my best, I have no regrets, I'm just sad.

He always was surly when people where around, but when it was just me and him he was another cat entirely, loved belly rubs.

The whole family is finally together. :unsmith:

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 15, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Just wanted to check if anyone's noticed, or raise the issue if not - I'm pretty certain either Purina or HiLife have seriously downgraded their recipe recently. With no change to her diet, and no obvious other cause, my cat's been seriously stinking up the place the last couple of weeks. She's always had a weak stomach, but this seems to be a consistent thing, for long enough now that I'm certain it's the food rather than 'random illness'. I'm switching her to just Purina (senior, ironically the 'sensitive' stuff set her gut off something nasty) at the moment, so hopefully I'll be able to work out which is the problem and change it accordingly.

Mostly I just wanted to flag this in case anyone else was having issues.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Toast was always a bit grumbly but mostly tolerant of me clipping his nails, even as a tiny kitten, but now he throws a demonic hellcat tantrum if I even think about going for his back claws. I'll ask the vet to trim them at his checkup tomorrow, but I live by myself and apparently can't pin the drat cat down and clip his nails so he doesn't tear up my carpet while playing or get an ingrown toenail or something. Cat burritos seem to make him even more stressed.

This is the method I've been using — well, attempting to use — to clip the nails on his back claws. I've tried stuffing his face full of treats while clipping his nails, too, but he gets too stressed out to be distracted by them.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
^^ Have you tried when he's sleeping?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

aghastly posted:

Toast was always a bit grumbly but mostly tolerant of me clipping his nails, even as a tiny kitten, but now he throws a demonic hellcat tantrum if I even think about going for his back claws. I'll ask the vet to trim them at his checkup tomorrow, but I live by myself and apparently can't pin the drat cat down and clip his nails so he doesn't tear up my carpet while playing or get an ingrown toenail or something. Cat burritos seem to make him even more stressed.

This is the method I've been using — well, attempting to use — to clip the nails on his back claws. I've tried stuffing his face full of treats while clipping his nails, too, but he gets too stressed out to be distracted by them.

You try a thundershirt maybe?

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I use clipnosis on my cats to trim their claws. Works like a charm.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Please help. I have a young female cat who's just been diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis. It came on very quickly yesterday, after a few days of slightly odd behaviour (ie. spending a bit longer than usual in the litter box). One panicked late-night trip to the emergency vet, and she has her diagnosis, and an anti-inflammatory medicine to help her (also a food supplement, and some recommendations for changes in diet to help long term care). Vet reckons that the anti-inflammatory should give her relief in three to five days.

In the meantime, she's trying to pee every few minutes, mostly in the box but also other places around the house. I've put down plastic on the soft furnishings, and she's preferring to try on this rather than on the carpet. I'm not sure whether I should be picking her up and carrying her to the litter box every time I see her do it (she finds this pretty unpleasant when I've tried). She's keeping well hydrated, and fortunately there's no blood or foul smell to the urine - she's just leaving little wet pennies that I mop up ASAP.

TL,dr: How do I keep my cat comfortable, and my house clean, until the piss-medicine kicks in?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Galaspar posted:

Please help. I have a young female cat who's just been diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis. It came on very quickly yesterday, after a few days of slightly odd behaviour (ie. spending a bit longer than usual in the litter box). One panicked late-night trip to the emergency vet, and she has her diagnosis, and an anti-inflammatory medicine to help her (also a food supplement, and some recommendations for changes in diet to help long term care). Vet reckons that the anti-inflammatory should give her relief in three to five days.

In the meantime, she's trying to pee every few minutes, mostly in the box but also other places around the house. I've put down plastic on the soft furnishings, and she's preferring to try on this rather than on the carpet. I'm not sure whether I should be picking her up and carrying her to the litter box every time I see her do it (she finds this pretty unpleasant when I've tried). She's keeping well hydrated, and fortunately there's no blood or foul smell to the urine - she's just leaving little wet pennies that I mop up ASAP.

TL,dr: How do I keep my cat comfortable, and my house clean, until the piss-medicine kicks in?

Keep her locked up in a room with a tile floor for a while. She won't like it, but she'll get over it. Meanwhile, you don't have to clean carpets.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Deteriorata posted:

Keep her locked up in a room with a tile floor for a while. She won't like it, but she'll get over it. Meanwhile, you don't have to clean carpets.

I like that idea, but I don't think I could bear to do that for three days plus - the only tiled rooms in my small apartment are the bathroom (not very suitable) and the kitchen (possible, but tiny). Also, there's my other cat, her brother, to worry about. The kitchen is where the litter box is, so he needs to go in and out. If I separate the two of them, they tend to mew at each other continually and claw at the dividing doors. Lock them both in the kitchen with nowhere to hide and there'd be a fight.

I've shut off the bedroom, so clothes, duvets etc. are safe. Fortunately, she seems not to want to pee on the carpet, and is using the various bits of plastic I've put down. I may just have to manage that and keep wiping them for now.

Edit: some pics of Bequin Socks (the girl, mostly black) and Gideon (in the white) on less miserable days:

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 15, 2014

bettsta
Jul 21, 2008
Need some advice with a feral kitten.

I was outside of my apartment building with my fiance when we heard and saw a black kitten mewing. It was hiding in this tiny gravel lot that houses busses but I was able to coax it out toward us with some meowing. We tried to capture it and put it in a carrier, but after an hour and three attempts it outran us every time.

It looks to be about five or six weeks old (but I am far from a cat expert and it was dark). The poor thing kept meowing at me like it wanted attention but ran as soon as we got near it. We figured it was a futile attempt for the night and left a bowl with some cat food near where it came out of the fence, and this morning the bowl was empty. I called our local animal shelter and the person I spoke to said it was probably a feral kitten who possibly had a feral cat family, and to just let it alone unless it showed signs of being more comfortable around people. If it seems like it might be people friendly, they'd be able to adopt it out. If, on the other hand, we discover more cats around the area and it turns out to be a feral cat colony, the best they can do is a trap-neuter-release thing.

I know very little about feral cats. The private lot it's been hiding in is about 300 by 30 feet and fenced off. It's possible that there were other cats hiding in there, but the same one came out each time last night and I feel like it's more likely he's by himself. It's right next to a busy road and I'm worried that if it's not brought inside then it's just a matter of time before it gets squished by a car or by the busses it's hiding under.

The plan for now is to go back outside and hang out by the fence tonight, with the carrier nearby and the food bowl inside of the carrier. If it goes into the carrier and we're able to trap it, we'd keep it in the carrier in our upstairs bathroom and quarantined so that it doesn't spook or infect our current cats. Is this a futile attempt? Would we be doing more harm than good?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

bettsta posted:

Is this a futile attempt?

Very possibly, but it's young enough to adapt to domestic life if you do catch it, I think.

bettsta posted:

Would we be doing more harm than good?

Depends on what you intend to do with the cat if the shelter can't take the kitten in. I'd say it'd be less helpful catch the cat and then release it, or to domesticate the cat, get it used to warm homes and free food, and then have to turn it loose again if the shelter denies entry. Would you be keeping the cat? Or finding it a home yourself?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

My current cat was a feral that was about a year old by estimates of the vet. She has turned out to be a very good house cat, if a little scared at times. I was only able to get close enough to grab her because she was pregnant at the time I think, so it may be harder otherwise.

Mine was living alone in a building that I saw two months later being torn down, so it's a good thing I got her in a real home.

bettsta
Jul 21, 2008
If we do catch it there's no way we'd release it back out there. The representative from the animal shelter told me to call back if we managed to capture the kitten, and if it turns out they can't accept the kitten then it's on to the ASPCA and local rescue organizations. Should I contact the ASPCA and rescues before making another attempt to confirm that they'd take it in before trying to capture it? If none of those pan out then it's a matter of finding it a home ourselves. I'm a little hesitant to keep it with us because we have two 5 month old kittens in an open loft with no doors except for the bathrooms, so keeping them apart to ease them through socialization would be a pain. However, if it comes down to sleepless nights and an empty bank account vs. putting it back on the streets, we'll of course figure out a way to care for it. I can't get its tiny little mews out of my head.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Does anyone have tips for getting a greedy cat to eat slower?

One of our three wolfs down his food and then stalks the other two while they eat theirs, we have to basically observe the whole feeding process to make sure he doesn't steal their food.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Robot Mil posted:

One of our three wolfs down his food and then stalks the other two while they eat theirs, we have to basically observe the whole feeding process to make sure he doesn't steal their food.

I've been having a related problem in which my cat will eat so fast she'll make herself throw up. We're going to try feeding her smaller amounts, more frequently, but that's not always possible given our schedules.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Robot Mil posted:

Feed fatty cat in the bathroom until the other two are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

Robot Mil posted:

Put the food in a muffin tin or some other kind of bumpy bowl. It'll take him longer to pick kibbles out of the cups.