Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Spincut posted:

I think early birds in general are a fine idea, but there are certainly KS's that have abused them. Like the Shadows of Brimstone KS that had something like 10 early bird tiers, all in increments of $5. That's ridiculous to me. One early bird tier for $5 off (or something extra, like the sleeves that TMG gave away with Harbor) is just fine for me.

It was worse than that- there were 8 Mine Cart levels, which got everything, including strech goals and add ons. All but the last one were at increments of $25. The first 25 people got it at $325, while the last group got it at $480. There ended up being more than 1000 people that were ok with paying $150+ more than the first people that got in on the project.

Now, there was some level of justification for this- at the start of the campaign, the Mine Cart level was pretty much the same as the $150 level because there weren't any stretch goals or unlocked add ons. By the end there were more than $600 of add ons, so Mine Cart at $480 was still something of a deal if you really wanted every possible thing for the game. They're loosing money on the early mine carts, but those pledges still helped keep the kickstarter moving so that they could reach all those stretch goals.

They also had an early bird version of their $150 level at $145, but that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A new Cheapass Game with tall-tales!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cheapassgames/stuff-and-nonsense

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the cheapass print-and-play pledge level. That makes me feel nostalgic.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else here back the Metal Beards kickstarter? I did and I'm still waiting for my minis, but I know my order was a complex one, and that having to ship minis overland from Ireland to B.C. can take some time :canada:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I got my copy of Questlandia yesterday. I've only had a chance to look at it briefly, but it looks pretty fun. I've been enjoying more freeform RPG's recently, so I'm looking forward to getting it on the table. Plus the art is pretty nice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Interesting article on a failed Kickstarter.

http://www.gamesinasia.com/digital-knights-studio-not-giving-up-despite-failed-sienna-storm-kickstarter/

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how someone can complain about a lack of updates from a Kickstarter that didn't even last a month.

I see less in there about the Kickstarter campaign than I do about the developers' decision to base themselves out of Singapore. Most of what I do see is handwringing about people wanting proof that you can put their money where your mouth is, and outfits using crowdfunding for pre-orders and raising extra funds to cover what their traditional publishing deal didn't.

Did they advertise? Did they have anything to offer beyond grand gestures of global intrigue, dull still images, and mock-ups of an uninspired card-based combat system? The article certainly doesn't say.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Did they advertise? Did they have anything to offer beyond grand gestures of global intrigue, dull still images, and mock-ups of an uninspired card-based combat system? The article certainly doesn't say.

So many Kickstarters do a bad job at making their first impression. Maybe this is a good game or something deep down, but I think I remember checking it out: I looked at the game pictures, they looked terrible, I closed the tab.

Looking at it again now, those cards are just aggressively bland: Gun - do 3 damage; Knife - do 2 damage; Dodge - take 1 less damage. If that's the highlights you're showing me of your game, what are the cards that didn't make the cut? Quite possibly, those are just sort of placeholders intended to suggest how the game will flow or something. That's fine for your internal development, but you can't expect people to put up money based on that kind of low effort.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My only bad experiences with Kickstarter were the Werewolf 20 book being super late and the Ars Magica video game not getting funded.

It sounded so great. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I got my copies of Questlandia, Servants of the Cinder Queen, and AMP Year One this week. Three more I can cross off the list!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

My only bad experiences with Kickstarter were the Werewolf 20 book being super late and the Ars Magica video game not getting funded.

It sounded so great. :(

I really hope they try again someday. Maybe if they ever put out year 2 of Academagia, they could garner more interest.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I got my copy of The Whispering Road in the mail today. Really odd that it was packaged in a clear plastic bag/wrapper, but at least that way it didn't get wet (it's been raining here off and on since Wednesday).

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

xiw posted:

The Sprawl, a cyberpunk *World game, just started a kickstarter for editing and art - it's funded already. Hamish is p cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ardensludere/the-sprawl-cyberpunk-roleplaying-powered-by-the-ap

There's an interview with him at http://www.idleredhands.com/?p=2644 if you want some soothing NZ accents.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The Shadows of Brimstone pledge manager finally arrived, almost a year later. The Core Sets and some other stuff will start shipping this month, but I've found it kind of hard to justify getting any more add ons since Wave 2 won't hit until next August. You can pay $40 for a Wave 1.5 that will ship some stuff sooner as more stuff arrives from China, but I'm not sure its worth it.

That said I definitely picked up some Werewolves and the whole "Lost Army" Undead Mexican Troops + Cannons. I really wanted the Derelict Spaceship and Zombie Astronauts too, but I already blew money on Dungeon Saga this month.

AxiomOnline
Aug 23, 2004
I'd like to plug my own KS here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238861&pagenumber=22#lastpost

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2103133470/you-cross-the-moor-to-the-abandoned-castle

As someone launching his first KS, this thread was an interesting read for certain.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I'd like to plug my own KS here.

You could use a proofreading run. There's a orphan quote in the first paragraph, and random spelling/sentence problems throughout. Doing this kind of double checking is boring, but important in a KS where you're selling your writing. I'd also try to avoid the phrase "Choose Your Own Adventure". The CYOA people are super litigation happy, even if you use the phrase carefully.

quote:

The inhabitants of the castle are viscous, hungry and will do everything in their power to put an end to your life

This is super clever phrasing if the castle is full of slimes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That Apocalypse Engine based Wrestling RPG is entering its final day of KS funding.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Carnevale looks interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/611224377/carnevale-the-narrative-miniatures-game?ref=nav_search

Anyone play it?

===============

Rise of the Rage: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1207064031/rise-of-the-kage-ninja-board-game-with-detailed-mi?ref=nav_search

Interesting looking boardgame: 1vMany boardgame with a ton of figures, so I'm sure it will make a ton of money.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013
I got in my copy of Whispering Road last week. Don't know if anyone else backed it, but the book is quite lovely. (Not just saying that because I did the majority of the art. The layout is quite nice.)

Thedandmom fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 15, 2014

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

LordAba posted:

Rise of the Rage: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1207064031/rise-of-the-kage-ninja-board-game-with-detailed-mi?ref=nav_search

Interesting looking boardgame: 1vMany boardgame with a ton of figures, so I'm sure it will make a ton of money.

"Amber Alert" is probably the most unknowingly unfortunate name I've ever seen for a Kickstarter tier.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

I've never had a chance to play, but I've bought some of the models just to paint. I thought the range was a bit sparse, and hopefully the kickstarter will assist there.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

gtrmp posted:

"Amber Alert" is probably the most unknowingly unfortunate name I've ever seen for a Kickstarter tier.

That's not even the dumbest thing there.

That prize goes to having 2 versions of ***EVERY MINIATURE*** To signal whether the Guard is Unaware/Aware or Ninja Detected/undetected!
A simple tokens would have done that nicely & would have come much cheaper!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think the alerted figure is just cast in differently colored plastic.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Goblin Quest has entered the last two days and has passed a lot of stretch goals so you're getting lots of different hacks for your bucks. Including Sean Bean Quest.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

moths posted:

I think the alerted figure is just cast in differently colored plastic.

I don't think that makes the situation any better.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're not making extra casts, and bright colors are probably a better visual cue than a small chit. They just took some of the figures you'd already get and recolored them.

AxiomOnline
Aug 23, 2004

jmzero posted:

You could use a proofreading run. There's a orphan quote in the first paragraph, and random spelling/sentence problems throughout. Doing this kind of double checking is boring, but important in a KS where you're selling your writing.

Thanks for pointing that out. My editor always says I write like I talk. So I will get them to make a few corrections on the KS as well.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Southlands is Arabian fantasy from some of the original Al Qadim writers, and published by Kobold Press, who routinely put out quality books and products.

Sha'ir or no go!

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 15, 2014

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I've launched a Kickstarter for Boiling Point, an adventure for my superhero RPG, Base Raiders.

Boiling Point is essentially an investigation scenario and dungeon crawl in a superhero setting. Find the base and then explore it, avoiding traps, monsters, and other dangers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Peas and Rice posted:

Southlands is Arabian fantasy from some of the original Al Qadim writers, and published by Kobold Press, who routinely put out quality books and products.

Sha'ir or no go!

Need to fix your link, there, it's busted. Should be Southlands.

I was interested and then I realized it's for Pathfinder. Oh well, best of luck to them!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of which, apparently Sean K. Reynolds is apparently going to be doing a Kickstarter for a new RPG. It'll be interesting to see how much of it is 3.Path.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of which, apparently Sean K. Reynolds is apparently going to be doing a Kickstarter for a new RPG. It'll be interesting to see how much of it is 3.Path.

I wonder if there'll be an MMO stretch goal.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's not his first Kickstarter.

For all those spells missing from the Pathfinder spell list like "cure warts", "fake pregnancy", or "cause impotence". :v:

Sean K Reynolds posted:

What I'm going to do is go ahead and make mythic versions of all of these hexes, even though there's no precedent for it. These hexes can be crazy stuff like spending mythic power on the cataracts hex to blind multiple people, or on the fertility hex to make every pregnant person in town have twins, or on the hirsute hex to give a target the prehensile hair hex for a limited time, or on the animal shape hex to become a bigger or more powerful animal. So... that'll be fun. :)

Prehensile haiiiiir! That's Mythic!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
MaxMini is doing a KS for WW2 inspired sci-fi Orcs and Goblins - The Green Alliance. If you're familiar with the MaxMini style, it's pretty much what you'd expect.

They're using a stupid pricing scheme though - each dollar/euro/pound equals a bullet; each bullet translates to a portion of the cost of a model. Way too much of the page is taken up with explaining the stupid scheme, when they could have just said "$35/£21" and been done with it.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

MaxMini is doing a KS for WW2 inspired sci-fi Orcs and Goblins - The Green Alliance. If you're familiar with the MaxMini style, it's pretty much what you'd expect.

They're using a stupid pricing scheme though - each dollar/euro/pound equals a bullet; each bullet translates to a portion of the cost of a model. Way too much of the page is taken up with explaining the stupid scheme, when they could have just said "$35/£21" and been done with it.

Yeah, they are pretty cool-looking and the vehicles look sweet, and as an ork player in 40k I'm pretty much tempted, but uuuuugh weird point systems.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

berzerkmonkey posted:

1 bullet=$1 American

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

As a Digital Devil Saga fan, I'm super excited that Mikan is writing a "Digital Breakfast Saga" project for Breakfast Cult.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That just reads like a weird Craigslist ad where 15 "rose petals" gets you a handjob.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Brian Patterson (of d20Monkey) and Tracy Barnett (of Iron Edda, School Daze, etc) are kickstarting a new campaign setting: Karthun: Lands of Conflict.

It looks awesome and it's already more than half funded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

8one6 posted:

Brian Patterson (of d20Monkey) and Tracy Barnett (of Iron Edda, School Daze, etc) are kickstarting a new campaign setting: Karthun: Lands of Conflict.

It looks awesome and it's already more than half funded.

It looks awesome, but Iron Edda (the previous KS) isn't even out yet. The reasons it is smart to Kickstart a new thing before your previous one is out are . . .?

• Locked thread