Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

aas Bandit posted:

I know I've seen it posted in the thread, but I can't seem to find it, here or Google.

It's a meme or a screencap that's basically a bunch of ways in which someone benefits, throughout his day, from government programs, and then ends with "and goes home and posts on Facebook about how worthless the government is and how they can't do anything right", or something like that.

If you find this via Google, please share your -fu.

Here. I Google Image Searched for "the government can't do anything right 4chan"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Thank you! I will now add "4chan" to all my searches.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

aas Bandit posted:

Thank you! I will now add "4chan" to all my searches.

Read that and am legit curious as to how that is an idiot on social media? All of what he (she?) says here seems correct at first glance... Or am I the IOSM?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

EZipperelli posted:

Read that and am legit curious as to how that is an idiot on social media? All of what he (she?) says here seems correct at first glance... Or am I the IOSM?

It's usually used to counter idiots on social media in my experience, so this is a pretty good place to make an inquiry.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Wasn't the "I AM AN AMERICAN CONSERVATIVE SHITHEEL" post originally from LF?

I remember reading a modified version about corporations building everything present in the rant with the guy ending up posting on dailykos or w/e.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's usually used to counter idiots on social media in my experience, so this is a pretty good place to make an inquiry.

Ah, gotcha. Perfect.

PeachHat!
Nov 27, 2009

Spider-Man LOVES milk!
I usually don't have much to add here, because my FB contacts are generally sane, boring individuals. But I've just had this one flash up three times from different people in the last month and I was hoping for some guidance.

Artifacting aside, why. Just...why? Is there someone out there who -doesn't- agree?? A zealously pro-cancer Snydly Whiplash of some sort? Is there an apathetic bunch of people with lots of money saying, "Oh sure, let's cure cancer...but I'm too tired to cure allllll of the cancer!" who will suddenly be jolted out of their apathy by this? Is there an uptight group of pancreatic cancer activists who need to be taught that their snubbing of the bone-cancer sect is no longer going to be tolerated? What does this mean??

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

PeachHat! posted:

I usually don't have much to add here, because my FB contacts are generally sane, boring individuals. But I've just had this one flash up three times from different people in the last month and I was hoping for some guidance.

Artifacting aside, why. Just...why? Is there someone out there who -doesn't- agree?? A zealously pro-cancer Snydly Whiplash of some sort? Is there an apathetic bunch of people with lots of money saying, "Oh sure, let's cure cancer...but I'm too tired to cure allllll of the cancer!" who will suddenly be jolted out of their apathy by this? Is there an uptight group of pancreatic cancer activists who need to be taught that their snubbing of the bone-cancer sect is no longer going to be tolerated? What does this mean??

Based on the tree motive and the "Posted by It Ain't Chemo" part, it's trying to suggest that all cancers can be cured right now so long as you completely natural and holistic approaches, like smoking a lot of weed and snorting sriracha or whatever.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Based on the tree motive and the "Posted by It Ain't Chemo" part, it's trying to suggest that all cancers can be cured right now so long as you completely natural and holistic approaches, like smoking a lot of weed and snorting sriracha or whatever.
I looked it up because that name sounded suspicious, but it's basically a charity that tries to get cancer patients entertainment. It's not a replacement for chemo, it's basically something to keep you from being miserable during chemo.

quote:

We supply fun experiences and "chemo packs" filled with useful items to people fighting cancer. There are a variety of NEW ITEMS you can donate to us such as Blankets, DVDs, DVD players, iPads, iPods, Tablets,

[...]

Kevin was diagnosed with testicular cancer in April of 2001 and told that it had spread to his lymphnodes. [...] His experience made him realize the need for an organization that provided support to people with cancer.

The idea for the name "It Ain’t Chemo" came about in late 2001 after Kevin returned to full duty in the fire service and had a very rough day on the job. When a co-worker asked if he was OK, his response was "Yup! IT AIN'T CHEMO!" A DAY AT WORK WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN A DAY OF CHEMO.

PeachHat!
Nov 27, 2009

Spider-Man LOVES milk!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Aunt Janine, Nooo...you're a nurse! :eng99:

edit:

Elysiume posted:

I looked it up because that name sounded suspicious, but it's basically a charity that tries to get cancer patients entertainment. It's not a replacement for chemo, it's basically something to keep you from being miserable during chemo.

Oh good. That's slightly less depressing.

PeachHat! has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Sep 15, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Elysiume posted:

Huh. That's actually really cool. But it then leaves me about as confused as PeachHat! about what kind of person or groups of persons could possibly be opposed to curing all cancers.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Huh. That's actually really cool. But it then leaves me about as confused as PeachHat! about what kind of person or groups of persons could possibly be opposed to curing all cancers.

Probably some Captain Planet villain.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
#notallcancers

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think it's them being all inclusive, instead of singular, in the types of cancer they focus on.

Most cure groups do focus on one particular type of cancer.

That group sounds really nice. My mom got guitar lessons while going through chemo and it got her through so much, emotionally, having a goal and something to do that wasn't "roll around in bed on chemo drugs."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also there are some people who are against spending any more on cancer treatment because it's the least possible bang for your buck healthwise. Basically, with cancer you get very few extra seconds of life per dollar spent compared to other diseases.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/457741/GamerGatethe_free_ride_is_over

Brad Wardell is the best.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

"I'm so persecuted because someone called me a racist when I said something incredibly racist." :qq:

It's kind of funny to see how "SJW" has turned into some kind of boogeyman the way political correctness was a few years ago when it's really mostly just idiots being called on their poo poo.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Sep 15, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BonHair posted:

Also there are some people who are against spending any more on cancer treatment because it's the least possible bang for your buck healthwise. Basically, with cancer you get very few extra seconds of life per dollar spent compared to other diseases.

What about those oils? Are they a cheap cancer cure?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I think I remember something about how the Susan G. Komen foundation actually bullies a lot of other cancer charities out of funding. Could be misremembering though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

I think I remember something about how the Susan G. Komen foundation actually bullies a lot of other cancer charities out of funding. Could be misremembering though.

They have in the sense that they actually trademarked the phrase "For the Cure" and have taken legal action against other charities that use it in their names/promotions. I think they also have gone after charities for using pink ribbons and just the color pink in general.

They've also gotten some flack for stuff like their corporate partnerships and marketing products that some people consider carcinogenic.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

grittyreboot posted:

They sued another charity for the words "The Cure"

Also, their CEO makes a SHITLOAD more than even the CEO of the American Red Cross, and they're 1/8th the size; they cut funding to Planned Parenthood, one of the few places that could actually push for prevention in lower income and high risk areas; and they consistently give no fucks about who they get donations from (thus allowing the use of their logo), including companies whose products cause cancer; and only a small percentage of their money goes to actually finding a loving cure.

Granted it's not chump change, but it's a small percentage on the dollar vs how much gets put into more advertising and legal fees for suing smaller charities for using the English language.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

quote:

My book has no fence and there are no dark-skinned people in the book. They made it up. Completely.

Maybe, and this is just me thinking out loud, there's a bit of misrepresentation on Brad's part as well [as to what the grievance with his book is].

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

quote:

#Gamergate

First they came for the misogynists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a misogynist.
Then they came for the racists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a racist.
Then they came for the homophobes, and I did not speak up, because I was not a homophobe.
And then it was actually much better.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Robert Smith called. He's very disappointed.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Leofish posted:

First they came for the misogynists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a misogynist.
Then they came for the racists, and I did not speak up, because I was not a racist.
Then they came for the homophobes, and I did not speak up, because I was not a homophobe.
Robin Ince put it best I think: "First they came for the bigots and I said nothing, because I didn't believe I was a bigot. Then, it was really nice. It turned out it was the bigots who'd been the main issue. We just all went out and had a lovely picnic together."

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Leofish posted:

:vince:

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

"It was never your"
Also, I don't understand the link between the text in the image and the text above it.

:byodame:"Why wont you like my statuses?"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

LoonShia posted:

Robert Smith called. He's very disappointed.

We know, we've heard all his songs

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

:sigh:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Buzkashi posted:

We know, we've heard all his songs

:golfclap:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I like the disclaimer at the bottom of the image which effectively says "This is bullshit and doesn't do anything. Go to a doctor if you're sick."

Kingdom of Sin
Feb 27, 2005

O frabjous day

:catstare:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Stoatbringer posted:

I like the disclaimer at the bottom of the image which effectively says "This is bullshit and doesn't do anything. Go to a doctor if you're sick."

I think it's mostly just legalese that's there to cover their rear end in case someone dies, tries to sue or get a refund for their lovely products.

Like "we can't legally diagnose you thanks to BIG PHARMA but we can totally cure everything *wink wink* "

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

So what was the supposed "proof"?

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Tea Bone posted:

:byodame:"Why wont you like my statuses?"

Why is Facebook offering to translate that emoticon? I wonder what Facebook thinks it means in English.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Goosed it. posted:

Why is Facebook offering to translate that emoticon? I wonder what Facebook thinks it means in English.

It translates to Moon Moon.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Goosed it. posted:

Facebook seems to randomly offer to translate things that it definitely can't translate. I read a few pages in Breton, for which there's no automatic translator on the Internet, and it constantly does this.

Hmm, what happens if I click this?

That extra o in "zo" certainly would clear things up if I didn't speak the language, thanks Facebook!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The last line is the best part. "This is a VERY FUNNY JOKE!"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Soviet Commubot posted:

Facebook seems to randomly offer to translate things that it definitely can't translate. I read a few pages in Breton, for which there's no automatic translator on the Internet, and it constantly does this.

Hmm, what happens if I click this?

That extra o in "zo" certainly would clear things up if I didn't speak the language, thanks Facebook!

Maybe it just detects that the text is not in your preferred language rather than checking whether or not it's possible to translate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

Robin Ince put it best I think: "First they came for the bigots and I said nothing, because I didn't believe I was a bigot. Then, it was really nice. It turned out it was the bigots who'd been the main issue. We just all went out and had a lovely picnic together."

I agree, we should get rid of all the people in the gaming industry who are denying the voices of marginalized people because they don't happen to agree with the narrative.

• Locked thread