Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

a delightful guy posted:

In my eyes Sweden is one of the only countries on earth making true of the moral values that built the social welfare system in the transition into a global society, and maintaining them even when the poo poo hits the fan. I'm all for sticking to the basic ideals: I believe life should be played on fair terms, whoever you are and wherever you live. I'm incredibly lucky to have been born here instead of, well, almost anywhere else on the planet, and I think the long-term goal of civilization is to make sure that as many other people possible get the same chance I did. That is my vision of society; not economic growth or personal freedom or whatever dumb poo poo people think they need.

There is a lot of terrible stuff going on in the world right now and Sweden is taking responsibility, carrying what part it can. The principle here is everything: that we as humans stick up for each other and help out. That's what the country is built on: that the strong help the weak, and that nobody is too strong not to be helped, and that nobody is too weak to not help.

We're rich as poo poo, all things said. Our standard of living is incredible. We can help, we have every possibility. So we should help.

Scandinavia's standard of living, the stability of its institutions, and the social trust and capital that mark its societies are all rooted in its dominant culture. This state of affairs is not tied to the land, it's not a magical force floating through the air, it's something that is (re)produced day after day by actual people with specific ideas and attitudes laboring and interacting.

At the same time, we keep hearing that immigrants should not be pressured to assimilate, that they should be left to do their own thing, etc. Some posters are even claiming that the Swedish 'monoculture' should be submerged into an ill-defined new synthetic of various cultures that will magically combine the best aspects of its constituent parts. Are you beginning to see the problem? The truth is, as you have pointed out yourself, that your values (including liberal tolerance itself) are anything but universal. They are very specific, especially on a global scale, and exist due to unique historical and cultural circumstances. What's more, you are clearly unwilling to impose them. People keep handwaving this away in moralistic terms and by idealizing the aesthetics of 'multiculturalism', but I have not yet seen anyone provide a solution to this fundamental paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Kainser posted:

Man, the leftist part of S has to be loving pissed right now.
Within half an hour of the announcement three different contacts within S told me they left the party. People are *mad*.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Rutkowski posted:

Within half an hour of the announcement three different contacts within S told me they left the party. People are *mad*.

I'm pretty drat mad myself. I understand that V/S/MP after the election results is quite stupid since it'd probably drive the middle towards the more right winged parties in 2018 and it won't even give them a majority. But to just close the door straight in Vs face with no discussion or anything? I think it's really stupid given how unstable the results are and I don't get why Löfven did it. Wouldn't it be best to keep as many doors as possible open?

Also http://www.svt.se/nyheter/val2014/vi-rads-inte-nyval it seems SD wants to create destabilise to force a re-election. I'm guessing this would benefit them (and possibly S) because of Reindfelt/Borg stepping down. Is this something that might actually happen? Has Sweden had any major re-election like that before?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

Scandinavia's standard of living, the stability of its institutions, and the social trust and capital that mark its societies are all rooted in its dominant culture. This state of affairs is not tied to the land, it's not a magical force floating through the air, it's something that is (re)produced day after day by actual people with specific ideas and attitudes laboring and interacting.

Actually I think large amounts of oil revenue is or was a strong contributing factor to the present state of affairs, so that is "from the land".

At least talking about Scandinavia, less so for Sweden specifically.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 15, 2014

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

computer parts posted:

Actually I think large amounts of oil revenue is or was a strong contributing factor to the present state of affairs, so that is "from the land".

At least talking about Scandinavia, less so for Sweden specifically.

That only really applies to Norway.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

lullelulle posted:

I'm pretty drat mad myself. I understand that V/S/MP after the election results is quite stupid since it'd probably drive the middle towards the more right winged parties in 2018 and it won't even give them a majority. But to just close the door straight in Vs face with no discussion or anything? I think it's really stupid given how unstable the results are and I don't get why Löfven did it. Wouldn't it be best to keep as many doors as possible open?

Also http://www.svt.se/nyheter/val2014/vi-rads-inte-nyval it seems SD wants to create destabilise to force a re-election. I'm guessing this would benefit them (and possibly S) because of Reindfelt/Borg stepping down. Is this something that might actually happen? Has Sweden had any major re-election like that before?

1958 was the last time, so it's not a thing we tend to do, no.

And Löfven is a right wing S and is quite open with it. He had a betongröv the size of a small van, and has never been fond of V. I saw several guesses that he'd rather lean on C or Fp than V even before the election. So this turn of events didn't surprise me that much.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Baudolino posted:

Yup we suck at integration. Seems like you just can`t combine social welfare with etnic plurarlity. Well there is no going back to how things used to be in Scandinavia even if we wanted to. So i supposed the only forward is to reform into hyper-randian societies. This will suck rear end but at least we can make multiculturalism work this way. I used to be all doom and gloom about immigration but now i am more relaxed. It will work out in the end, but we have to accept that everything about our culture and the we do things have to change. We have to embrace this change.

Baudolino posted:

You don`t actually know any of this. You are just hoping everything will continue as before. Frankly that is just stupid. I am sure Sweden has a swell future ahead. But it won`t be, it cannot remain as it is while still having very liberal immigration policies. When a large section of the population comes from a very different background they are going to start the changing countries they live in. So you really really cannot assume that people will still be doing all of these thing a hundred years from now You would have to concentrate them all in ghetto`s to avoid this. I am not saying anything will be lost. That is your words not mine. But things will change, radically. Only time can tell if this will be a net bonus or not. All that can be done is to embrace and manage this change. The majority population will have to meet the minority half way. Like for instance allowing Sharia courts to abritate in civil cases between muslim and for their verdicts to be legally binding.

Ho aj aj aj aj buff,
ho aj aj aj aj buff,
ho aj aj aj aj buff buff!
Ho aj aj aj aj buff.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

lilljonas posted:

1958 was the last time, so it's not a thing we tend to do, no.

And Löfven is a right wing S and is quite open with it. He had a betongröv the size of a small van, and has never been fond of V. I saw several guesses that he'd rather lean on C or Fp than V even before the election. So this turn of events didn't surprise me that much.

Especially not what with mandate allocation turning out as it did. If I was Löfven I'd shoot for a S + MP + C + FP coalition first as well.

It's not like V is going anywhere. Also, putting an end to retarded "blockpolitik" ought to be a goal unto itself.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The Social democrats have always made a point of keeping V att a clear arms length, just relying on them for passive support and never letting them into government. Considering how badly S polled when they picked a left of centre candidate in Juholt it's not exactly surprising decidedly right of center Löfven keeps up that proud tradition.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Especially not what with mandate allocation turning out as it did. If I was Löfven I'd shoot for a S + MP + C + FP coalition first as well.

It's not like V is going anywhere. Also, putting an end to retarded "blockpolitik" ought to be a goal unto itself.
That still only gives them 49,5%

DekeThornton posted:

The Social democrats have always made a point of keeping V att a clear arms length, just relying on them for passive support and never letting them into government. Considering how badly S polled when they picked a left of centre candidate in Juholt it's not exactly surprising decidedly right of center Löfven keeps up that proud tradition.
Because having their second worst result ever(only last election was worse) is clearly working out for them.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Karpaw posted:

Ho aj aj aj aj buff,
ho aj aj aj aj buff,
ho aj aj aj aj buff buff!
Ho aj aj aj aj buff.

This is not a fairytale, it`s realism.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Baudolino posted:

This is not a fairytale, it`s realism.

No, it's gibberish. We are trying to discuss relevant political issues here.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Rutkowski posted:

That still only gives them 49,5%

Last time I checked (preliminary figures) it would net them 178 seats, which is a majority.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 15, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

computer parts posted:

Norway was already doing quite well for itself and most pieces of the welfare state were in place some time before oil became a thing, which wasn't really until the 1970s and didn't really take off truly until after OPEC started getting uppity at which point we became absurdly wealthy. Though the revenue the state is making off oil, owning some 50-60% stock in Statoil, is invested around the globe and saved rather than used to complement existing state revenue, though the oil thing helps in that it has created a whole bunch of well-paying jobs.

TLDR: Norway has a poo poo-ton of money that's basically buried, bet Swedes are jealous.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Got a call from my mother, jewish WWII survivor from Germany. She... is not doing well right now. During the election night her front door and back door both had SD stickers tagged on them.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So when is S gonna change its name since it's no longer going to be social-democratic anymore?

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Neeksy posted:

So when is S gonna change its name since it's no longer going to be social-democratic anymore?

When I was at the valstugor some older lady ran up to S's stuga and started screaming about how they haven't been Social Democrats since Palme. I found it pretty funny, although she has got a point.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Baudolino posted:

The majority population will have to meet the minority half way. Like for instance allowing Sharia courts to abritate in civil cases between muslim and for their verdicts to be legally binding.

Frankly, I think this is bullshit. That's looking at cultures like SD does, like something biological you inherit from your parents. There are constant negotiations, both between but also within cultures. Things like sharia law are foremost political, not cultural. I know a lot of muslims would not want to live under that legal system. Same thing with the hijab. A woman from Egypt might see it as a symbol of liberation, a woman from Iran will probably see it as a symbol of oppression and a woman from Indonesia might be indifferent. How do you meet objectively "half way" in that case? You can only be tolerant and allow a multitude of ways to dress. And I don't think that kind of tolerance is something unique to "western culture" (since, in fact, many westerners want to ban the hijab for instance).

I agree, naturally, that immigrants will influence their host country. But I think the majority's influence on the minority is much greater. And, as others have explained, the net influx of immigrants to Sweden isn't all that big. Perhaps religion will play a bigger role in our future society, perhaps new holidays will be celebrated. If anything is lost, it won't be missed. Whatever replaced it will simply be considered a natural part of our culture, "that's the way it's always been", as people like to say.

Ligur posted:

As a member of a "criminally inclined" group of people (one of the largest immigrant groups in Sweden too!) aren't you even a little bit grateful for all the potential socialbidrag you could recieve by moving here?

Joking aside, I think it's always better to argue about asylum seekers from a humanitarian standpoint, rather than an economical one. Then there are the people who come here specifically to work. Both them and asylum seekers who recieve a permanent residence permit or citizenship do have the economic advantage of mostly being young but of working age. Meaning the state didn't have to pay parental leave, child care support and education for ~18 years before they entered the work force. Even if getting people into the job market can take far too long, most do get there eventually, and in less than 18 years.

Some good news: http://expo.se/2014/nazistparti-utan-mandat_6639.html SvP, the Nazis, did not recieve any seats anywhere this time around.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Some good news: http://expo.se/2014/nazistparti-utan-mandat_6639.html SvP, the Nazis, did not recieve any seats anywhere this time around.
They'll most likely gain seats from the municipalities where both them and SD had candidates since SD will most likely leave roughly 150 empty municipal seats following the election and it just takes one written-in name to get an SVP in an empty SD chair, just ask Curt Linusson in Lidköping.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

As a member of a "criminally inclined" group of people (one of the largest immigrant groups in Sweden too!) aren't you even a little bit grateful for all the potential socialbidrag you could recieve by moving here?

What's bidrag?

Generally speaking your eastern neighbors aren't grateful for handouts. They aren't that wiling to hand 'em out either but recognize the necessity of it in certain circumstances as the path of least resistance.

I almost witnessed a fight between a Somali man somewhere around hit fourties and a native Finnish woman in her 60s tonight. Key was her yelling out loudly all immigrants are goddamn leeches, and him losing his patience after listening to it for half an hour. I went between them to prevent blows, so you could say I partook in the race war tonight. :)

Unfortunate part of it is that while a lot of what she believes was simply bullshit, it's really hard to say "no immigrant receives any social grants" to someone who is convinced that every last penny that we spend on immigration is not only wasted, it's actively bad. And she is not alone, not simply because she is old.

The lesson learned? Don't let old women drink too much red wine. And while there are a lot of cool people who have integrated, there's still a level of friction that doesn't go away. I've no idea what to do, so maybe it's a smart policy to practice caution and don't let 100,000 people from "unacceptable" countries move in?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

I almost witnessed a fight between a Somali man somewhere around hit fourties and a native Finnish woman in her 60s tonight. Key was her yelling out loudly all immigrants are goddamn leeches, and him losing his patience after listening to it for half an hour. I went between them to prevent blows, so you could say I partook in the race war tonight. :)

That's loving hilarious seeing as us Finnish were the first massive immigrant group nationalists used to hate. :v:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Social grants/benefits have been studied and proven to be a pretty great way to boost the economy (at least in the US, but it's no different for Sweden). Poor people spending money that came from all over society (and specifically rich people money) on necessities creates more economic activity(i.e money) than is "lost". It's not like that money ignites the moment it leaves the cofferts of the state. In fact it will find itself right back there in a hurry again.
Having that money sitting around in a bank, be it the state or some rich dude, to collect interest (especially in todays economy!) is a loving terrible idea. Money going round and round through the moms wheel is what drives the bloody economy. And yes, that includes being better than tax-break for ye average man or I dunno, moms reduction for McDonalds (:negative:).

And on the flipside, turns out that our modern economy is terrible at creating jobs, so having a bunch of jobs linked to immigration is also a good thing.

That's without going into the details of having a couple of hundred thousand more (young) people a bunch of years down the line instead of negative population growth and an aging population. Those billions "spent" on immigration? Yeah we'd probably not have that money to spend on *anything* if not for our expanding population/economy. Sure, there's a point were adding more people isn't getting you much, but Sweden is about as far from that state as you can get.

So that's my 50 öre on the economic part.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Frankly, I think this is bullshit. That's looking at cultures like SD does, like something biological you inherit from your parents. There are constant negotiations, both between but also within cultures. Things like sharia law are foremost political, not cultural. I know a lot of muslims would not want to live under that legal system. Same thing with the hijab. A woman from Egypt might see it as a symbol of liberation, a woman from Iran will probably see it as a symbol of oppression and a woman from Indonesia might be indifferent. How do you meet objectively "half way" in that case? You can only be tolerant and allow a multitude of ways to dress. And I don't think that kind of tolerance is something unique to "western culture" (since, in fact, many westerners want to ban the hijab for instance).

I agree, naturally, that immigrants will influence their host country. But I think the majority's influence on the minority is much greater. And, as others have explained, the net influx of immigrants to Sweden isn't all that big. Perhaps religion will play a bigger role in our future society, perhaps new holidays will be celebrated. If anything is lost, it won't be missed. Whatever replaced it will simply be considered a natural part of our culture, "that's the way it's always been", as people like to say.

Not to mention the whole problem of having two seperate laws for a nations varying individuals tends to cause a lot of friction. I'd agree with Karpaw's eloquent point on this.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Norway was already doing quite well for itself and most pieces of the welfare state were in place some time before oil became a thing, which wasn't really until the 1970s and didn't really take off truly until after OPEC started getting uppity at which point we became absurdly wealthy. Though the revenue the state is making off oil, owning some 50-60% stock in Statoil, is invested around the globe and saved rather than used to complement existing state revenue, though the oil thing helps in that it has created a whole bunch of well-paying jobs.

TLDR: Norway has a poo poo-ton of money that's basically buried, bet Swedes are jealous.

So jealous, in fact, that the Swedish king at first refused to show up for the bicentennial celebration of our constitutional convention. Then again, he's French, so I'm prepared to make allowances. :v:

All joking about Knugen aside, though, we've been insanely lucky, and have been able to make some choices on the basis of our oil-wealth that would otherwise have been flat-out impossible. That Sweden has been able to reach similar standards of living and social services without the added boost from an industry like that is to the very great credit of the country, and I think it's a rather greater achievement than our own.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TLM3101 posted:

So jealous, in fact, that the Swedish king at first refused to show up for the bicentennial celebration of our constitutional convention. Then again, he's French, so I'm prepared to make allowances. :v:

All joking about Knugen aside, though, we've been insanely lucky, and have been able to make some choices on the basis of our oil-wealth that would otherwise have been flat-out impossible. That Sweden has been able to reach similar standards of living and social services without the added boost from an industry like that is to the very great credit of the country, and I think it's a rather greater achievement than our own.

We should not forget that Sweden has had the boon of sitting for centuries on mines (mainly copper, silver and iron) that has propped us up many times. as well as a forest industry that has also been very lucrative for very long periods. It's not quite oil, but we have been spoiled for natural resources as well.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
Let's not forget not getting bombed to smithereens in neither world war, going into the 50's with an intact infrastructure, while still getting some of that Marshall money. We made the most of it, but still, we had some nice advantages.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

lilljonas posted:

We should not forget that Sweden has had the boon of sitting for centuries on mines (mainly copper, silver and iron) that has propped us up many times. as well as a forest industry that has also been very lucrative for very long periods. It's not quite oil, but we have been spoiled for natural resources as well.

nagel posted:

Let's not forget not getting bombed to smithereens in neither world war, going into the 50's with an intact infrastructure, while still getting some of that Marshall money. We made the most of it, but still, we had some nice advantages.

All of which is true, though I'd argue that the Kiruna mines, at least, has been just as much a boon to us as it has been for Sweden thanks to shipping ore through Narvik. My point was less that Sweden hasn't had significant natural resources or significant advantages of its own, and more that it has had the good fortune of the sound political governance to make the most of it without having to partially rely on a massive and utterly unexpected windfall like we did. Granted, we made the sensible decision and nationalised the stuff, but we had a very good example to follow in how to handle our lottery-winnings.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Swedpol: Pan-Scandinavian back-patting thread

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Swedpol: Pan-Scandinavian back-patting thread

Oh just you wait. I've been reading a lot of Russia Today and Carl Bildt is going to reform that empire any day now. :sweden:

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
http://www.val.se/val/val2014/slutresultat/R/rike/index.html

Seems like F! might get in after all after a recount. SD also drops 2.5% and loose their kingmaker role, so gently caress them haha.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
"925 av 6227 valdistrikt räknade", though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Konec Hry posted:

"925 av 6227 valdistrikt räknade", though.

Yeah, it seems they haven't counted most of Scania yet. SD got 21% in Western Scania lol.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That kind of swing in a recount is unthinkable in an actual first world democracy with no funny business going on. It's simply an artefact of the recount only being completed in some of the districts.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Antti posted:

That kind of swing in a recount is unthinkable in an actual first world democracy with no funny business going on. It's simply an artefact of the recount only being completed in some of the districts.

Speaker of Parliament mentioned that the 300.000 foreign votes have not yet been counted at all. That could influence enough to change about 5 seats.

Edit: I doubt F! will be in aswell but I think it will be close than the preliminary results from election night. I'm also pretty sure the block gap will widen by a few seats,

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 16, 2014

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mostly reiterating what others have already said in the thread, but I think this analysis by Åsa Linderborg was very spot-on: http://www.aftonbladet.se/kultur/kronikorer/linderborg/article19541080.ab

To quote Cardiac: Everyone is hosed. :v:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TLM3101 posted:

All of which is true, though I'd argue that the Kiruna mines, at least, has been just as much a boon to us as it has been for Sweden thanks to shipping ore through Narvik.

Narvik wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for this.
I'd be okay with that, the place is a blight even by northern standards.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Meanwhile, across the sound...

"Excuse me, but it is not racism to secure your own culture and ethnicity. If we had not fought to keep Denmark being Denmark, what then? We were some—including myself—who in the '80s and early '90s overlooked the fact that, with the arrival of sufficient numbers of people from a different culture, the original one naturally dies. Just ask the indians. That's why [journalist and writer] David Trads is dead wrong when he says that the Danish People's Party should've been kept out of influence. If so, then the completely irresponsible—indeed, culturally destructive—immigration policy from 1983 would have continued. That's what awaits Sweden. The country we have fought alongside, and against, for a millennium, the land of Astrid Lindgren and Bellman, the misty land of gentle Scandinavism, would literally cease to be." - Former Minister of Integration, Immigration and Refugees, foreign policy spokesman for the Liberals, MP Søren Pind

Don't buy any Persian rugs in the foreseeable future, I guess?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnk7huxeIbo

This is basically my political ideology in a nutshell. I want a society that forces you to not be an rear end in a top hat. That's pretty much it. Laugh at my naivety all you want.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 16, 2014

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Speaker of Parliament mentioned that the 300.000 foreign votes have not yet been counted at all. That could influence enough to change about 5 seats.

Edit: I doubt F! will be in aswell but I think it will be close than the preliminary results from election night. I'm also pretty sure the block gap will widen by a few seats,

Okay, that's not a recount thing though. I also doubt expat Swedes will be that dramatically different from the makeup of the Swedish voting populace; you'd have to have pretty strong divergence for it to show up as seats. Maybe one seat here or there.

Edit: Unless you do like Finland and assign them all to either the last district they lived in before they moved, or failing that, the Helsinki (Stockholm) district(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

In just my local district, one that other from an ND vote in 2010(and very few SD votes even after media normalization) has been nazi-free since the 80's, five people voted for the nazis.

No, not SD. SVP.

I, well, do not feel very safe right now. At all.

• Locked thread