Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

raspy trashfucker posted:

at the beginning of jojo all the characters had more facial muscles than normal people, but the number gradually reduced until in the latest arc everyone's faces are completely paralyzed

lol it's like you didn't even watch the last series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

what the gently caress is happening right now

The dude is using his hair to swing a sword, duh. Why do you think it's called Hair Metal?

Also do yourself a service and don't watch the condensed version. The entire series is worth watching.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Aren't the "condensed" versions the same length, but with OPs and EDs removed?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's even worse than I thought.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Aren't the "condensed" versions the same length, but with OPs and EDs removed?

Why would you do that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's probably no greater opening to anything ever made than Sono Chi No Sadame. (Jooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Jo)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why would you do that?

You wouldn't, because (for Part 1 at least) it's not true. The Part 1 condensed version does have its OP and ED; never watched the Part 2 ones but I'd presume they're the same.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

They don't cut out the openings. They cut out bits of episode to make it fit (like the bit where Jonathan finds out Dio kissed Erina. It just jumps from "KONO DIO DA" to that beatdown).

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Regardless, maybe one shouldn't take about downloading a rip when there's a perfectly legal version available for free / cheap as free

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are you guys referring to these things?

Because these are on Crunchyroll so they should be okay to talk about, right?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Aurain posted:

Are you guys referring to these things?

Because these are on Crunchyroll so they should be okay to talk about, right?
They are on Crunchyroll but they're not OK to talk about :colbert:

I love the transitions to Roundabout at the end of a lot of the episodes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, Part 1 is only 1-8 if I remember correctly, the rest of the season is Part 2.

1 - 9.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Phantom Blood isn't that original but it's really short and it has Dio. I don't see much point in skipping it.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

It has the best transitions into roundabout as well. Like it's a shame to skip it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Part 3 wouldn't make much sense or have half of the impact in regards to its villain if you skip PB. And as Irony Be My Shield says, you miss out on a bunch of Dio being Dio. That's way worse than anything Dio ever did to anyone.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why would you do that?

I meant like that feature they have on the DBZ box sets where you can play a disc straight through with the OP at the beginning and the ED at the end, but nothing between episodes, so it's completely seamless. :shobon:

And I dunno, Part 3 makes perfect sense if you know that Dio is evil and that vampires are bad, and I'm pretty sure Joseph gives exposition about those things early on anyways.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I know it might sound like blasphemy but I skip the OPs and EDs when im marathoning a show. I dont need to see the same drat sequence every half hour.

Heck, I usually skip EDs outright because theyre generally just too somber and boring, even for action or comedy shows. I dont think I ever got through any of the Nichijou EDs even though that was a rare show I stuck through all the OPs for.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Meme Emulator posted:

I know it might sound like blasphemy but I skip the OPs and EDs when im marathoning a show. I dont need to see the same drat sequence every half hour.

Heck, I usually skip EDs outright because theyre generally just too somber and boring, even for action or comedy shows. I dont think I ever got through any of the Nichijou EDs even though that was a rare show I stuck through all the OPs for.

I usually do the same, but this series has really catchy music. Battle Tendency especially.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah same, I consider it a compliment to a show if their OPs are good enough for me to sit through all like 24 minutes of an episode instead of just skipping OPs and EDs. I have liked every OP and ED so far, these shows got good Muzak.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah same, I consider it a compliment to a show if their OPs are good enough for me to sit through all like 24 minutes of an episode instead of just skipping OPs and EDs. I have liked every OP and ED so far, these shows got good Muzak.

Same here, there are few show, western and anime, were I actually sit through the OP, Stardust Crusader being one of them. I do wish the singer would have used a little more volume, he sounds kind of shallow at times.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

I do exactly that for every show except for JoJo. When I first marathoned the anime, I still watched every single OP, because they're made of pure happiness.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So are we getting a Dio song as our new ED?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Fat_Cow posted:

So are we getting a Dio song as our new ED?

Only if we live in a just universe.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Try watching Baccano! You will watch the op everytime, even if marathoning the whole thing.

It's the only way to learn all 200000 protagonists.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

itskage posted:

Try watching Baccano! You will watch the op everytime, even if marathoning the whole thing.

It's the only way to learn all 200000 protagonists.

It's also a very catchy and stylish op, right get up there with Tank! from Cowboy Bebop.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?

pointlessone posted:

It's also a very catchy and stylish op, right get up there with Tank! from Cowboy Bebop.

Exactly. Baccano! and Battle Tendency are probably up there as my favorite two OPs.

Maybe I'm just weak to jazzy music.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

hoobajoo posted:

Only if we live in a just universe.

Wikipedia says that in the US, Dio's label is Warner Bros. Reords, (obviously) a subsidiary of Warner Music Group, but in the rest of the world it's ultimately controlled by various labels all under the Universal Music Group.

I seem to recall someone saying that this Jojo anime is ultimately owned by Warner Bros., The ultimate owner of the rights for Roundabout lay with Warner Bros., so I assume the rights to use the song were given as a freebie between different branches of the Warner Bros. zaibatsu. Walk Like An Egpytian is owned by Columbia Records, which is owned by Sony Music. So that's at least one song not owned by Warner Bros. we were graced with.

So while acquiring the rights to Holy Diver or Egypt (The Chains Are On) is not a shoo-in like it was for Roundabout, getting Walk Like An Egyptian shows us that the have been able to get licensed music they don't already own. And the Egypt arc of Stardust Crusaders probably has even more hype behind it than the initial part we just saw, so maybe they'll be willing to spend whatever money they need to get fitting ED music for possibly the most anticipated season of an anime in almost 30 years. Maybe.

Please keep in mind I don't know ANYTHING about music rights or record company dealings, especially in regards to how they operate in Japan except that I understand it's much more murky and complicated there than it is here. If anyone has any actual insight into this, please correct me and/or say that everything I've just said is meaningless.

Oh god I want a Dio track in there so loving bad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh god I want a Dio track in there so loving bad.

I'm expecting more Walk Like An Egyptian but if they were to use any Dio song it should be Rainbow In The Dark

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Thing to keep in mind: Holy Diver has a moderately long intro, unlike Walk Like an Egyptian, so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick that just so they can do the thing like with Roundabout and have the intro play over dramatic cliffhangers.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Seriously, Rainbow in the Dark. C'mon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnfbd_BGw8

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Oh geez. Just listening to the first minute of that, and it's too perfect.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
As a person who isn't a fan of Dio (note, not DIO); I wanna say Holy Diver is good for the ending credits on the episode where the group eventually meets DIO face-to-face as an 'oh poo poo!' moment, and then Rainbow in the Dark is for the moment where Jotaro inevitably gets the upper hand on DIO and shows the world the best beatdown ever seen.

I haven't read the series so I don't know if the manga actually plays out anything like this; but considering the conventions of Shonen it seems obvious.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Alternatively, we could have the music from some Marlon Brando film.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Alternatively, we could have the music from some Marlon Brando film.

Nope, Dio Brando threw away his humanity (and thus the connection to his family name) in Part 1. He is now only DIO.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

lol it's like you didn't even watch the last series.

i'm talking about the manga

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So I just watched the new episode, and I really liked the scenes that David added in. Jotaro is such a softy to his Grandma. :3:

And now the best part of Stardust Crusaders will begin. January can't come soon enough.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, it's nice that they added that in. Suzie Q and Jotaro never interact in the manga.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jotaro is good to all of the women in his life except Joseph Joestar.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Beef Waifu posted:

Jotaro is good to all of the women in his life except Joseph Joestar.

"Tacos!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I canceled my crunchyroll subscription because Jojo is over.

Edit: I'm still watching it though. Just got through lovers part 1 and 2. Is it just me or was that fight REALLY sexual? Like I know I keep saying stuff like this but seriously the guy made jotaro lie down while he stepped on him, made him gratify him, and made him lick his boots. When he reached into Jotaro's wallet I definitely didn't think it was the wallet he was going for.

Also I thought the "Ora Ora Ora fight over" stuff was kind of lame, but this ora was so satisfying. Like 10 seconds straight of a guy getting punched in different ways. Yes.

Does anyone have a gif of Star Platinum popping out and catching Lovers?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 17, 2014

• Locked thread