Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Werix posted:

In the video it sounds like its more going to be like planetside 2, where money is for cosmetic stuff ans side-grade weapons, but you can still be really good without dropping cash.

In that case I will at least try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MilkmanLuke posted:

I go pretty much that way with my OW game. My group is full of scammers and shucksters as well (and is definitely pushed further in this direction by their regimental rivalry*). I just settled on a quick and dirty generic "crates of contraband" system. They're not necessarily literal crates, but it keeps the bookkeeping easy on everyone. For example, after stealing some things from a docking bay at a Magos Biologos' secret space station, the doctor ended up with a "crate" of drugs and a "crate" of gene splicing equipment. They've been running around with it for a while now, but they also have a "crate" of religious paraphernalia. Basically, I use it as a generic trade unit of contraband that is worth more or less depending on who they are trading it to and under what circumstances. Since they get their hands on cash occasionally, I give it about ~1000 thrones = 1 crate, depending on the material and the buyer.

They can also use them in other ways. The medic, their scammer in chief, basically dumped a pile of goods onto the regiment as a goodwill gesture and earned Peer for his regiment as a result. More recently, he gave two crates of :catdrugs: to the decadent General Hax (2nd nephew of the Calixis Sector Governor, he'll have you know) overseeing their front in order to get the regiment's impending suicidally dangerous deployment swapped with their regimental rival's position on the reserve line. Besides that, they can usually take a few single items from it and it's still a "crate". So, the doc can pull a stim or two from the drug crate for actual use. As for using it to get legit gear, usually crates don't work towards that, although I'll occasionally make exceptions based on how they're doing it, either allowing them to get something reasonable as an outright trade or giving a bonus towards the Req roll.

*In my opinion, if you're going to do a game with ANY non-combat downtime at all (my game is probably ~70% sessions off the front lines), a regimental rivalry is the absolute most fun part of Only War.

*edit* Also, I love the Paranoia PLC angle as well. I find myself having to strongly resist taking the game too far in that direction.

This is really good stuff!

I'm considering only letting them use commerce when they "identify" a smuggler, corrupt clerk or other fixer, since (re-reading it :eng99: ) this appears to actually be the wording of the rule.

That said, I think I might let it become less roll playing and more fiat based, depending on the warzone and fellow regiments deployed and so on. Would this work, if I can get my players to go along with it?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Commerce posted:

Commerce is the understanding of trade, value, and exchange amongst the varying ranks of the Imperial Guard, how to barter for the best deal possible and even acquire contraband gear. This Skill covers everything to do with deal making and exchange from swapping extra rations for a pack of lho-sticks to acquiring xenos tech while keeping out from under the watchful eye of the commisariat. ... can also be used to appraise items or evaluate something's worth.

Actually the exact wording in my copy of the OW core book suggests that they can try to roll commerce for literally every single exchange/trade/purchase they make.

But it's also an opposed roll, and the quartermaster for an Imperial Guard unit isn't going to be bad at what he does for a living. Neither is a smuggler. If the corrupt clerk was bad at commerce he'd have been executed by now.

So I say let them roll it as often as they want, but make your opposed roll in the open. Sometimes they're going to succeed and get the plasma cannon (which may or may not come with it's own issues), but other times they're going to get hosed. The officer might even approve the requisition for that plasma cannon, but the players find only corpse-starch rations when they open the crate it was supposed to be in. Eventually the Quartermaster and a Commissar are going to come asking about why it wasn't returned at the appointed time.

And eventually, the Quartermaster is going to get sick of the sight of the guy who constantly grinds him for a better deal.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 11, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
If the players really enjoy wheeling and dealing for kit, put them into a position where that is somehow their responsibility. Second them into the Munitorum and make them the repo men for the entire Regiment.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a good plan. Give them a battle in progress, or nearly over, send them in to recover some specific resource, or perhaps just as much in the way of materiel as they can in order to equip the rest of the penal legion.

They can meet local scavengers, pockets of remaining resistance, troops from the other side on the same mission (or perhaps a slightly different one, maybe they're prepared to offer sought-after items in trade to reduce the amount of time spent exposed to massive shelling), "friendlies" who think they're vultures who should be shot, Kill-Marines who are only interested in acquiring a ton of promethium for purposes they will not explain.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Have them collect a bunch of stuff but not really be able to use it beyond maybe the mission it's recovered. As a reward, toward the end of the arc or whatever, have their base camp get overrun so they're free and clear to use literally anything they want from lockup in the desperate defense. Dudes hanging off the sides of a tank firing meltas in all directions.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

If the players really enjoy wheeling and dealing for kit, put them into a position where that is somehow their responsibility. Second them into the Munitorum and make them the repo men for the entire Regiment.

Have them track down units who think it's cute and funny to requisition things they know they won't need or use beyond blowing up for fun to get the Munitorum's equipment back. They'll never quite be sure if the mission is serious or if they're being hosed with. Bonus points if you make the squad they're going after basically bizarro-world versions of the PCs.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Have them track down units who think it's cute and funny to requisition things they know they won't need or use beyond blowing up for fun to get the Munitorum's equipment back. They'll never quite be sure if the mission is serious or if they're being hosed with. Bonus points if you make the squad they're going after basically bizarro-world versions of the PCs.

Also an excellent Paranoia mission hook. I absolutely love this idea and I think I'm going to steal it.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 12, 2014

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
That is beautiful. You can also give them bonuses for good rolls outside of requesting insane poo poo, like random crap that might end up being useful. And tell them not to requisition amazingly rare stuff just because they can.

Bob in QM can't get his boss to sign off on power swords for penal legionnaires, but he can sure kick a crate of shells over to his drinking buddy in the artillery regiment that his boss doesn't know or care about him throwing the way of that penal legion squad that gets poo poo done. Or he has a few bottles of the wretched style of amasec nobody but the regiment's commissar seems to like that'll get him off your back for a little.

People like good rolls, but getting something interesting for rolling a 3 on requisitioning a crate of extra ammo or a jerrycan of extra chimera fuel feels far better than just getting what you asked for, even if it's a power sword or something. (And then that mission you tell them they can requisition whatever the gently caress they want, they know poo poo is real. :getin:)

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
So is there a book that's good to start with if you're new to WH40K RPGs, or is it still "whatever you like best?" I'm most interested in Rogue Trader, but is Dark Heresy 2e an improvement to the system overall that negates RT? Was thinking of picking up the RT book soon. Thanks!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Spincut posted:

So is there a book that's good to start with if you're new to WH40K RPGs, or is it still "whatever you like best?" I'm most interested in Rogue Trader, but is Dark Heresy 2e an improvement to the system overall that negates RT? Was thinking of picking up the RT book soon. Thanks!

2E aside since I'm not familiar enough with it, Only War is the cleanest, best version of the system. Fun-wise, it doesn't really matter where you start, so go for Rogue Trader if it's the game style that interests you. The ideal would probably be to use OW rules with RT setting and gear, but that'd require some familiarity with the game and having both books, so I'd just grab RT and let it rip.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pharmaskittle posted:

2E aside since I'm not familiar enough with it, Only War is the cleanest, best version of the system. Fun-wise, it doesn't really matter where you start, so go for Rogue Trader if it's the game style that interests you. The ideal would probably be to use OW rules with RT setting and gear, but that'd require some familiarity with the game and having both books, so I'd just grab RT and let it rip.

DH 2E is basically just the OW system

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Azhais posted:

DH 2E is basically just the OW system

However, neither DH nor OW give you a ship and say "go nuts".

Not right out the gate, anyway.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Okay, awesome, thanks. The book is like $20 on Amazon so might as well!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Spincut posted:

Okay, awesome, thanks. The book is like $20 on Amazon so might as well!

I'd say go with whichever game's theme you enjoy the most. OW is pretty combat focused. If you're into that, great.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'd say go with whichever game's theme you enjoy the most. OW is pretty combat focused. If you're into that, great.

Though as we've mentioned in the past, if you want to dig into the fluff there's some very interesting social stuff you can do in Only War, if you're willing to set aside war for a moment and indulge in the intrigues of the Departmento Munitorium (aka Paranoia PLC).

That being said RT allows you to drop churches from space, which really isn't something any of the other systems do.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'd say dropping churches from space sounds like a great way to pass the time in a rousing game of Black Crusade.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in Black Crusade was...interesting. The party is made up of 5 very strange, and very odd people.
1. Cicero, a chaos space marine sorcerer.
2. Bloodtruely, a chem hunter.
3. Iranitev, ministorum cleric turned apostate.
4. Asmodius, guardsman turned renegade.
5. Ozman, a hideous dwarf psyker.

Having been trapped on an Imperial world when their warband failed an invasion of a new world, the band decided that burning and executions were not the ideal outcome. Last time they managed to hijack a chimera and wipe out a patrol. Now packed into the APC with a rescued squad of chaos soldiers, the chimera became the universe's most heretical clown car. They considered their options, and decided to go far the starport, because clearly something must be there that would let them off world. This began a series of events where contrary to all my expectations, they decided to talk and bluff their way past everyone. This was assisted by the psyker, because as a hideous dwarf with a compel power, literally no one wanted to interact with him any longer than necessary and every Imperial citizen that he talked with decided that it was probably better to give him what he wanted than look closer at any questions that might have risen up.

They managed to bluff their way past just about everyone, got aboard a lander that was refueling with the CSM sorcerer hidden inside, convinced everyone that looking inside the tank that looking inside was a waste of time and managed to get off the planet without firing a shot. They then were forced to dock with the Imperial frigate that was loitering in orbit, and they are now trapped in the cargo bay after killing anyone that might have tried search them once they docked.

The most interesting thing I learned was that an unbound psyker pushing doombolt to +9 is hideously effective and caused about 65 points of damage with one blast. Elites that I had placed do not take that kind of damage. :black101:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
The psyker's ability to instakill your main baddies is balanced by his ability to end the campaign on a bad die roll.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I still want somebody to run a Rogue Trader PbP. :<

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Esser-Z posted:

I still want somebody to run a Rogue Trader PbP. :<

There are several running right now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That isn't very helpful if you are hoping to join one, though.

I have given up on the PbP because I seem to have a game death touch. :smith: Maybe I'll run one eventually, that might work?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I have given up on the PbP because I seem to have a game death touch. :smith: Maybe I'll run one eventually, that might work?

A sad fact of life, PbP games rarely run for very long due to the slow pace and time/effort needed to make posts.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Ronwayne posted:

The psyker's ability to instakill your main baddies is balanced by his ability to end the campaign on a bad die roll.

I was really, really hoping for a fun result on the tables, but he merely got "I get knocked down" as a result. Not even perils.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gaghskull posted:

I was really, really hoping for a fun result on the tables, but he merely got "I get knocked down" as a result. Not even perils.

Our psyker refuses to do anything but push, and he repeatedly rolls body swapping and temporal distortion as perils of the warp, sometimes one after the other.

It is great.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Have them go into a deadly combat situation, find a unit desperately holding out against wave after wave of Tyrannid hordes, and repossess the heavy bolter that's been keeping the poor bastards alive this long.

Command, of course, wanted the line to get overrun so the 'nids would be baited and funnelled into a trap but because some rear end in a top hat squaddie managed to snag a heavy weapon the entire campaign is being held up, and for each day those bastards hold out the Guard consumes 8,000 tonnes of food, 12 Chimeras worth of spare parts, 16,000 cigars...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZearothK posted:

Our psyker refuses to do anything but push, and he repeatedly rolls body swapping and temporal distortion as perils of the warp, sometimes one after the other.

It is great.

The best is when the psyker accidentally swaps with the Ogryn.

Tias
May 25, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

This is glorious, and I am going to con my players into it.

E: Also, I took your advice and had my players recon their way into Ork-held Port Wander. They've made it through the Shokk Attakk gun turret net and will start the next session crash-landing through a hanger :ohdear:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
As long as whoever the CO for the squad is comes out of the wreckage swinging a chainsword and firing his weapon that sounds like a pretty typically awesome OW scenario.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Yeah, the assumption behind that statement was a RT PbP I could play in. I generally prefer realtime (especially with voice, at least for OOC stuff), but with my work schedule I don't really have the time to set aside for any additional games.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gaghskull posted:

This was assisted by the psyker, because as a hideous dwarf with a compel power, literally no one wanted to interact with him any longer than necessary and every Imperial citizen that he talked with decided that it was probably better to give him what he wanted than look closer at any questions that might have risen up.

Hey man, you forgot about the part where said dwarf psyker (who is depicted using the horrible/awesome miniature dwarf miniature from the Awful Miniatures OP) busted up to a Ministorium Priest leading a lynch mob for a Chaos pilot and basically said "HEY GUYS WERE FROM THE INQUISITION HAND 'IM OVER" and they did.

Granted, this was because said psyker was using the power that gave him huge bonuses to interaction checks BUT STILL. It helps to have ranks in Deceive!

Another great moment is that, thanks to bad positioning before a combat encounter, the psyker and the apostate were left to hold the line against a bunch of Arbites with shotguns. Their efforts to escape getting shotgunned to death by running around the ship while the rest of the party tried to bail them out is best accompanied by Yakety Sax.

It's me, I'm the psyker. I'm the horrible person pushing powers to the extreme. Extremely awesome, that is.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tactical Bonnet posted:

As long as whoever the CO for the squad is comes out of the wreckage swinging a chainsword and firing his weapon that sounds like a pretty typically awesome OW scenario.

That's the beauty of it. Their Sergeant is a low Int, high S broseph-type who LOVES him some Emperor, and the other characters are crooks who'd rather not get stuck in where the fighting is thickest :iamafag:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

I love the idea of a sergeant bursting out of a wrecked chimera and pointing his sword at the guy who hit them with that artillery shell and shouting "I'M COMING FOR YOU, BRUH! IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR I'M GOING TO gently caress YOU UP!"

His last words were recorded for all posterity when he charged the warboss: "Do you even lift, you green skinned son of a bitch?!"

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tactical Bonnet posted:

His last words were recorded for all posterity when he charged the warboss: "Do you even lift, you green skinned son of a bitch?!"

The were almost my last words in Frajaq's BC PbP.

Almost.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

LuiCypher posted:

Hey man, you forgot about the part where said dwarf psyker (who is depicted using the horrible/awesome miniature dwarf miniature from the Awful Miniatures OP) busted up to a Ministorium Priest leading a lynch mob for a Chaos pilot and basically said "HEY GUYS WERE FROM THE INQUISITION HAND 'IM OVER" and they did.

Tzeentch is a fickle master but when he is with you ride that crazy train. Psykers have the advantage that even if it all goes wrong lots of people will die.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So, I'm planning on running a game of Dark Heresy 2nd Edition for my gaming group and I have a (possibly) dumb question. Now I've heard that DH can be on the deadly side, so what I'm thinking of doing is just allowing the PCs to take max wounds at character creation. This wouldn't make them too strong?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

So, I'm planning on running a game of Dark Heresy 2nd Edition for my gaming group and I have a (possibly) dumb question. Now I've heard that DH can be on the deadly side, so what I'm thinking of doing is just allowing the PCs to take max wounds at character creation. This wouldn't make them too strong?

It means they might survive an extra hit.

Honestly, if your players are getting into combat and not stomping the enemy, they probably screwed up and attacked somebody they shouldn't have.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Tzeentch is a fickle master but when he is with you ride that crazy train. Psykers have the advantage that even if it all goes wrong lots of people will die.

I am curious if an all-Psyker party ever makes it out of the first room now.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Didn't MOnion run an all psyker PbP game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'm curious because it will either be the most batshit crazy game with everything going past 11 all the time or the most depressing, shortest game ever.