Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AlternateAccount posted:

I took mine in the other day with the same problem and they said, "Oh, hey yeah we need to swap the screen. It takes about an hour and a half, do you have the time?"

I told them to get hosed. I'll just do a cross swap via a chat session or something.

Yeah gently caress that dude for offering a service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I was going to say "I can't believe that people actually think that 16GB is insufficient for a vast majority of iPhone users" but this is from the same people who were probably like "2GB of RAM or I'll pass".

I was also going to say "Do you understand that you're not even close to the average user?" but that is repeated over and over to these type of people and they never listen so what would be different this time?

Look, if I can't store 200 hours of 2 hour EDM mixes and listen to them without getting kicked from RAM like an average user, then I just won't be buying this phone.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Look, if I can't store 200 hours of 2 hour EDM mixes and listen to them without getting kicked from RAM like an average user, then I just won't be buying this phone.

This is me. I've also never maxed out my 16gigs; close, but not maxed. There's only so many times I can listen to a mix/song before I delete that poo poo off my phone and replace it with something else.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Can someone explain the Xcode difference in iPhone 6 Plus pixel size of 2208 × 1242 pixels vs 1920 × 1080 specs? I think what I read was that apps will be three times as large but then scale down to 2.46x?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

They will render to a canvas of 2208 × 1242 pixels, which will be scaled down to 1080p to fit in the physical pixels on the 6 Plus display. That is it. It's exactly how the retina MacBooks do effective resolutions higher than 1440x900 with the 2x scale.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

In terms of space, you could always invest 100-200 in your own personal Cloud storage device. Recent updates to WD MyCloud have really improved the quality and speed of the applications and I like it better than other cloud storage options.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
just remembered the 2 hour EDM mix guy, loving pishing

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone's iPhone actually use more than a 1GB of Ram?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Tab8715 posted:

Yes, I installed several more RAMs in order to accommodate my use case.

What kind of question is this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

No, because it only has 1 GB of RAM.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Just download more if you need them

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a need for more than a gig of ram on iPhone? How much of a need?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a need for more than a gig of ram on iPhone? How much of a need?

Well you see, my mixtapes

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Yes, I installed several more RAMs in order to accommodate my use case.

What kind of question is this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Literally no one's.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Just download more if you need them

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah gently caress that dude for offering a service.

It's more that the online support offered to swap it out in a cross ship and this dude thinks I have nothing better to do than sit around an apple store for an hour and a half.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

It's more that the online support offered to swap it out in a cross ship and this dude thinks I have nothing better to do than sit around an apple store for an hour and a half.

You could have left and come back later.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

AlternateAccount posted:

"That sonofabitch can't fix objects instantaneously, what a dumbass! I'd much rather coordinate and then wait several days for someone across the country to ship me a refurbished phone and the send the old one back and then go through the hassle of restoring a backup."

From the sound of it, you do literally have nothing better to do.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I did some comparisons to objects I had lying around my house and discovered that the colored part of the top half of my 3DS XL is the same H/W/L as the 6 Plus.

So if you're looking for a size comparison and don't want to reveal your :spergin: by making a cardboard cutout or 3D printed version, there you go.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

You could drop it off and come back later when it is convenient. They don't toss it in the trash if you aren't there waiting at the 1.5hr mark.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

withak posted:

They don't toss it in the trash if you aren't there waiting at the 1.5hr mark.

This is unconfirmed.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, if they want to fix the battery and janky screen while I wait, that's fine too, whatever. A cross-ship seems like a pain in the rear end, and the sooner that I get a swelled-up LiIon battery out of my possession the better.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I seriously can't believe the amount of RAM in the iPhone 6.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I literally have never heard anybody complain about the amount of RAM in an iPhone until like a week or two ago.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I literally have never heard anybody complain about the amount of RAM in an iPhone until like a week or two ago.

Maybe you haven't specifically heard anyone say, "My phone doesn't have enough RAM", but if you haven't heard anyone complain about Safari constantly reloading tabs, you haven't been reading the same iPhone threads I have.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mahoning posted:

I've complained about how when I flip from Safari to another app for a second then flip back, Safari refreshes and I lose filled form data or whatever.

Is that ram?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Chrome > Safari

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Maybe you haven't specifically heard anyone say, "My phone doesn't have enough RAM", but if you haven't heard anyone complain about Safari constantly reloading tabs, you haven't been reading the same iPhone threads I have.

Yeah but that sounds like a Safari problem, not a RAM problem.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Yeah but that sounds like a Safari problem, not a RAM problem.

Happen with other browser too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Who gives a gently caress about RAM or storage or other stupid poo poo no real people care about? Activating Siri by saying "Hey Siri" while it's plugged in brings me one tiny step closer to functionality that makes me jealous of Moto X owners. I'm looking forward to jailbreak hacker people making that an always on feature.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can you print from iOS Chrome now? You couldn't a while back when I was using it. I used it for a while and it was dope but I needed to print stuff and I was tired of going back to Safari just to print, so I went back to Safari for everything and stopped using Chrome. There's been nothing really wrong with Safari but I still liked Chrome better. Just wish it had printing capabilities.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShoogaSlim posted:

Who gives a gently caress about RAM or storage or other stupid poo poo no real people care about? Activating Siri by saying "Hey Siri" while it's plugged in brings me one tiny step closer to functionality that makes me jealous of Moto X owners. I'm looking forward to jailbreak hacker people making that an always on feature.

It'll probably murder your battery life, though. I enabled the "Always listening" feature of Google Now on my M8 and it definitely had an effect on battery life.

Unless the phone has a processor with an extra, low power, core to handle the "listen for the command" feature, it'll have a detrimental effect on the battery. If the A8 had one such core, Apple would have probably enabled "Hey Siri" all of the time and then crowed about it during the announcement.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

AlternateAccount posted:

I took mine in the other day with the same problem and they said, "Oh, hey yeah we need to swap the screen. It takes about an hour and a half, do you have the time?"

I told them to get hosed. I'll just do a cross swap via a chat session or something.
I took mine in in June with the same problem -- screen popped out at the volume buttons, diagnosed as a bulging battery. I hadn't noticed that my battery life was worse. I got a replacement in store in like 10 minutes, not counting time spent waiting. This was a launch-month 5 so it was well out of warranty.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Captain Cool posted:

I took mine in in June with the same problem -- screen popped out at the volume buttons, diagnosed as a bulging battery. I hadn't noticed that my battery life was worse. I got a replacement in store in like 10 minutes, not counting time spent waiting. This was a launch-month 5 so it was well out of warranty.

Is it normal policy to replace out of warranty bulging battery stuff for free or is that just them being cool about it?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You are consistently the worst poster in Apple threads. I wonder what that's about.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Captain Cool posted:

Just ran my serial number against their free replacement program and apparently I qualify. Thank you sir for making me question my terrible battery life that appeared a few months ago. Got a iphone 6 coming on Friday, but at least I can get a new battery in this 5, before I hand it off to someone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fleshweasel posted:

You are consistently the worst poster in Apple threads. I wonder what that's about.

You know how this ends dude, just ignore him if his posts annoy you.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

smackfu posted:

Maybe they get to actually book every iTunes user as a sale this way.

Prince did the same thing a few years back when he gave a free copy of his album with every concert ticket. Skyrocketed his Billboard listing, supposedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

fleshweasel posted:

It's about you. I'm sorry that I'm not sharing your exact opinions on every little thing.

(So since you're emphasizing "consistently", I guess it also wasn't okay to bring up recently that I want more than 16 GB in a Mac Pro, even though I supported that need with data. That must also have been a bad post, for which I apologize.)

If what I'm saying bothers you so much, just ignore my posts. Interestingly, you had already announced a little while ago that you'd do that. So please actually do that now.

carry on then posted:

You know how this ends dude, just ignore him if his posts annoy you.

:agreed: