Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is there a map of how widespread blackflies are in North America? I remember hearing horror stories from a guy who worked in Northern Quebec planting trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Manchild" for a dude who acts childish, is obssed with childish things has been around since at least the 50s dude.

Faulkner invented the word, iirc.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HonorableTB posted:

I went to school where corporal punishment was allowed. My mother had to sign a waiver, which she gladly did. The vice principle was in charge of student discipline and he had a wooden paddle with holes drilled through it to reduce wind resistance. Nobody was paddled there in the five years I was at that school because it made such a good deterrent for being little shits in school. If we got out of hand, it wasn't a time out or detention for us. It was the VP and Mr. Whistles. Just knowing that it was there kept us from getting in trouble.

I went to a school with corporal punishment and no one was deterred, they just really loving hated (and were creeped out by) the disciplinary principal and turned out lovely, violent, and underprivileged because they got no constructive discipline. People generally even preferred a short paddling to spending hours or days rotting in detention.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Everywhere in mainland Florida is grocery stores except the specific dot that represents where I am :downs:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

HonorableTB posted:

I was also spanked as a child, and I'll probably spank my children too. Not with a belt or a switch like with what happened to me, but I see nothing wrong with swatting their asses when they're being out of control gremlins. Corporal punishment works when used as a last resort and repeated time outs or other punishments don't work, at that age anyway. When I got old enough that spanking wasn't feasible, my mother got creative and left me with my PlayStation and RPGS, but took the memory card so I couldn't save. She also at one point went out and bought the latest game I had been clamoring for, letting me turn it on and get a good 1-2 hours into it, then took the controller away from me so I could see it, have had the experience of playing it, but no longer access it. Those punishments worked a lot better, but as a small child/toddler, they would've been too sophisticated for me.
I think I know where your mother got her ideas from.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I had no idea Wisconsites like to drink so much, though I've never been to Wisconsin.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Lycus posted:

I had no idea Wisconsites like to drink so much, though I've never been to Wisconsin.

For awhile it was the only state where a dui was just a ticket, not a felony. I think they still allow kids to drink in bars if their parents are with them.

Wisconsin has alot of German heritage

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tractor fanatic posted:

For awhile it was the only state where a dui was just a ticket, not a felony. I think they still allow kids to drink in bars if their parents are with them.

Wisconsin has alot of German heritage

Its more, 'if your parents let you drink, you're not a cop, and nobody else gives a poo poo, why shouldn't I let you drink'? There are reasonable limits; you have to be able to put your money on the counter with your head above.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

(ex-)Wisconsinite here. I believe the law is that kids 16 and up can drink in bars with their parents/guardian if the parents/guardian are okay with it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

(ex-)Wisconsinite here. I believe the law is that kids 16 and up can drink in bars with their parents/guardian if the parents/guardian are okay with it.

Pretty sure that Maryland is still the same. 16+ if you're parents are there.

Also I think that map is pretty misleading because it's based on google searches. I have no idea how you'd do it but something like the bar to grocery store ratio would basically turn every population center dark red. It's almost like 'dear google where can I find a bar because this place blows'.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Physical pain (or any kind of punishment) doesn't magically grant a kid understanding of why they shouldn't have done a thing they were recently doing. It might teach them that "this person is more powerful than me right now, so I have to do what they want" but that's not really a great lesson, long-term.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 16, 2014

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm pretty sure this is actually the law in a ton of states but most establishments refuse to serve anyone under 21 because its just not worth the headache it creates due to a plethora of issues.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Everywhere in mainland Florida is grocery stores except the specific dot that represents where I am :downs:

Are you a student? I wouldnt be surprised if the smattering of dots in the southeast are all college towns

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jesus, Wisconsin must either be really great or really terrible.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Or maybe they are more sensible you can serve hundred times more people with a single grocery store than a standard bar, aside from the fact you can drive to and back from the store not so much from the bar.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Jesus, Wisconsin must either be really great or really terrible.

The former in the summer, and the latter in the winter. Although Madison is pretty great all the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'm pretty sure this is actually the law in a ton of states but most establishments refuse to serve anyone under 21 because its just not worth the headache it creates due to a plethora of issues.

Yeah, in Ohio your parents can buy a drink and give it to you if you're underage, you just can't order it yourself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental consent in 29 states: private home, private office, or private property with parental presence and consent: Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

This is essentially, it's legal for your parents or other older relatives of yours they chose to allow, to give you beer as long as you're on private property that isn't a bar or store.

on private, non alcohol-selling premises without parental consent in 6 states: private home, private office, or private property without parental consent or presence: Louisiana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, Oklahoma, South Carolina

Effectively the same as above, but it can be anyone over 21 who actually purchases the alcohol and then lets the under 21s drink. So someone's dad could hold a beer-allowed party for his kid's high school graduation and all his friends who show up could also drink.

on alcohol-selling premises, with parental approval in 10 states: restaurants, bars, and alcohol stores with parental approval: Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming

This one's self-explanatory. In a few of them, you can also be authorized to drink at a bar by a cop if your parents aren't strictly with you.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kainser posted:

"help me" :iceland:

Hahaha, even Iceland has an emoticon. Is it a rock/volcano that is crying?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Count Roland posted:

I think it should be crying lava.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Count Roland posted:

I think it's Eyjafjallajökull, the volcano that erupted and shut down most of the airspace over Europe for some time a couple of years back.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I live in Texas, let my 12 year old drink at restaurants, nobody has ever said anything. If they're with parents it's legal, though I hear some places don't allow it for liability reasons.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I live in Texas, let my 12 year old drink at restaurants, nobody has ever said anything. If they're with parents it's legal, though I hear some places don't allow it for liability reasons.

...drink what?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Ras Het posted:

...drink what?

Whiskey and lighter fluid. It's the Texan way :clint:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I think Texas also ranks highest or one of the highest in terms of incidences of corporal punishment of children.

edit: beaten by ClearAirTurbulence

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Ras Het posted:

...drink what?

Soju, pear cider, margaritas.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is child abuse. No one should ever drink soju.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Berke Negri posted:

I think Texas also ranks highest or one of the highest in terms of incidences of corporal punishment of children.

edit: beaten by ClearAirTurbulence

Texas is 1.1% of children who received corporal punishment, the highest being Mississippi at 7.5% and Arkansas and Alabama at 4.7% and 4.6% respectively.

(At least as of 2006)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Would have been better with Ireland in there as well.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

re: corporal punishment chat

I think the biggest surprise there is Texas being too close to call

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

re: corporal punishment chat

I think the biggest surprise there is Texas being too close to call

I'm surprised Maryland is in the "yes" group considering all the "the NFL shouldn't be responsible for punishing players for things that don't give them a competitive advantage" coming out of there lately.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Pakled posted:

I'm surprised Maryland is in the "yes" group considering all the "the NFL shouldn't be responsible for punishing players for things that don't give them a competitive advantage" coming out of there lately.

the only moral wifebeater is our wifebeater.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nations and Regions of the European Free Alliance, a party in the European parliament consisting of separatist parties.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Surprised no representation from Northern Ireland on there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ekuNNN posted:

Nations and Regions of the European Free Alliance, a party in the European parliament consisting of separatist parties.

So the Germans in Denmark who want to join Germany get along with the Danes in Germany who want to join Denmark? Those would be some pretty messy borders. :v:

made of bees
May 21, 2013
No Szekelys?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

made of bees posted:

No Szekelys?

Bit surprised by that as well, especially given the Slovak Hungarians are represented rather generously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What is going down in Denmark, looks a mess.