Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
in SF finally for this long overdue vacation. hit state bird provisions tonight, got reservations at benu next Fri, some place called 'aubergine' in carmel sun that is supposed to be bees knees, and a bunch of top notch vineyards around napa during the week. napa restaurants all kind of look similar, I haven't noticed anything outstanding outside yountville - but I'm sure there must be something above 'better than average'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mindphlux picky eaters chat : "sorry girlfriend, i need restaurant recommendations that are above above-average" :colbert:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

mindphlux posted:

mindphlux picky eaters chat : "sorry girlfriend, i need restaurant recommendations that are above above-average" :colbert:

"Outwith one standard deviation from the mean"?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

"Outwith one standard deviation from the mean"?

That'll do, Scientastic, that'll do.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006

mindphlux posted:

in SF finally for this long overdue vacation. hit state bird provisions tonight, got reservations at benu next Fri, some place called 'aubergine' in carmel sun that is supposed to be bees knees, and a bunch of top notch vineyards around napa during the week. napa restaurants all kind of look similar, I haven't noticed anything outstanding outside yountville - but I'm sure there must be something above 'better than average'?

I will be in SF next week, but wasn't able to get into State Bird. We ate there last year, and it totally lived up to the hype.

In Napa Valley, it does seem like almost everything is the same style of food and price point. I really like Farmstead. They also have something like $2 corkage, so it's great place to bring a nice bottle. All but one dish I had at JoLe was good (but the one bad one was a disaster, so I can't straight up recommend it, despite the amazing sand dabs). Busters BBQ is really good for a casual lunch. I haven't eaten there, but I always have cocktails at Auberge du Soleil because it's just so drat pretty.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Doh004 posted:

Icehewk no touching!

This is really appropriate guys

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bounty Hunter in Napa is pretty tasty BBQ and they have a nice wine list. Can walk to the Oxbow Market from there for dessert.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

icehewk posted:

This is really appropriate guys

quote:

One of my best friends/coworkers continually thinks its cute to tell me over and over again that I should eat pork too. He would say "just try it, how do you know you don't like it until you've tried it." Finally one day I couldn't take it anymore and started giving him a taste of his own medicine. He's gay. So I started saying, "why don't you have sex with women? How do you know you won't like it until you've tried it? Just try it once, I bet you'd like it." He got the point and has stopped bugging me as much. Now when he starts in I just interrupt with that kind of thing, and he immediately stops.

gently caress them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Fooley posted:

gently caress them.

Wow.. I'm not even gay and I find that really upsetting.

Do you think that person had to come out to their parents as a picky eater?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wow.. I'm not even gay and I find that really upsetting.

Do you think that person had to come out to their parents as a picky eater?

I had to come out as preferring pumpkin and black bean corn tortilla tacos at $0.25 a piece homemade to hot pockets and almost got kicked out of the house. Does that count?

Cooking healthy food at night under the cover of darkness.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I spent all day in the kitchen today and it was glorious. In the morning I made eggs and pumpkin bread for the family Sunday brunch. Then I made food for my horse lady neighbors- Japanese pickled kohlrabi, coconut rice, roasted carrots with cumin seed and buckwheat honey, and a veggie stir fry with miso marinated tofu. Now I'm simmering some tomato sauce because I have all these drat tomatoes and don't know what to do with them. I don't really have any freezer bags or Tupperware left so I'm going to have to improvise. Later I might make potato salad and we're having a cookout with burgers and veggie burgers. Fun Sunday!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm posting in this thread, not because I'm picky(I'll eat damned near loving anything), but my SO is picky as hell. I'm going shopping in a few hours, and was wondering if you picky people had any suggestions given the following list of pickyness:

She won't eat:
-any sort of red meat, aside from ham and bacon.
-is sick and tired of pastas/potatoes(as am I, because the only staple foods I know that go well with chicken are a) potatoes, cooked by various means and b) pastas of various sorts)
-she doesn't really go for spicy food
-Onions. Period. This makes me sad because I love onions.

The only requirements outside of all of that is
-lowish cost. We've got around $30 a week for food.
-makes for good leftovers. She works a physical job, and I'm going to be spending most of my days in a machine shop learning real soon.

Any help you picky people can give me would be appreciated. As an aside, cooking for picky people is hard. Not using onion in anything? Not fun.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Tell her to stop being a goddamn baby and eat some loving food like an adult.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rice and beans and ramen. 15 bucks a week per person sorta forces you into that. Or look at the Help I'm poor thread and the recipes that exist there.

Otherwise I can only advise that you think long and hard before giving up onions for the rest of your life.

/e - Or make some loving pizza from scratch. That's like 2 bucks a pie that'll feed two.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
FYI this is not actually a picky eaters' thread (which is to say the posters in here are generally the opposite of picky), it's an ongoing festival of trolling sprinkled with flashes of insight. Current thread title is a joke about an ongoing joke based on posting habits from facebook and IRC.

One time I looked at a broccoli and literally barfed for three days.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh great now people think this is a picky eater's thread. Good going guys.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

FYI this is not actually a picky eaters' thread (which is to say the posters in here are generally the opposite of picky), it's an ongoing festival of trolling sprinkled with flashes of insight. Current thread title is a joke about an ongoing joke based on posting habits from facebook and IRC.

You really shouldn't mess with people in a safe place like this. It's rude and antithetical to the entire spirit of this subforum!

I for one am extremely glad of the acceptance I've found here of my eating preference. It's very difficult getting by on a coconut primary diet (especially when I go out! Thank goodness for Malibu!), but the people here have treated me with kindness and compassion for the most part.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My 9 year old didn't want to eat what I cooked for her one night last week. I said to her "You don't want to be an adult who is a picky eater. Do you know what we call those people? Babies. Because they are babies."

I get that there's some mental block there or whatever for these people, but they can overcome it. When did we go from being a nation of people who worked to overcome their limitations to ones who demand acceptance for them instead. Seriously, HTFU and eat your god drat vegetables.

(note that I'm talking about defects that one can overcome with a little effort. and maybe sometimes a lot of effort.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm posting in this thread, not because I'm picky(I'll eat damned near loving anything), but my SO is picky as hell. I'm going shopping in a few hours, and was wondering if you picky people had any suggestions given the following list of pickyness:

She won't eat:
-is sick and tired of pastas/potatoes(as am I, because the only staple foods I know that go well with chicken are a) potatoes, cooked by various means and b) pastas of various sorts)

-makes for good leftovers. She works a physical job, and I'm going to be spending most of my days in a machine shop learning real soon.

Any help you picky people can give me would be appreciated. As an aside, cooking for picky people is hard. Not using onion in anything? Not fun.

Sever.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Goddamn it GWS, make sure your thread titles make sense! Like the new title, which totally makes sense!

and also makes me feel more than a little dumb

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sometimes you touch the poop.

And sometimes, it touches you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MohawkSatan posted:

Lol, like, have a grown up conversation with her. There's a difference between a relatively normal eater who say, doesn't like cauliflower. Or someone who abstains from meat for religious reasons, or is allergic to dairy or legitimately allergic to wheat.

But forcing your SO to eat lovely food because you're too much of a child to eat adult food?

Also, I'll add that your diets thus far have sounded pretty boring - you only eat meat and potatoes? Investigate some proper side dishes. Greens. Roast broccoli. Asparagus in the oven until crispy. You have lots of options.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MohawkSatan posted:

She won't eat:

When I'm feeling really lazy, here's what I do:

- Fire up the ol' George Foreman grill / panini press. Spray it with non-stick cooking spray
- Take some boneless skinless chicken breasts. Put spices on them (e.g. salt + pepper + paprika)
- Stick a meat thermometer in the biggest one
- Let them go until the interior reaches 170 degrees F or so

In the mean time:

- Cut up some broccoli or green beans
- Put them in a bowl with about 1 tbsp of water
- put a little butter or olive oil on top
- put a little salt and pepper on top
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes

Dinner for two costs three or four bucks and takes 30 minutes if you include prep and cleanup.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
MohawkSatan in an effort to actually help you, are those the only things she won't eat? Will she try new things?

If funds permit I'd recommend buying fresh veg and cooking it in ways you haven't tried before. It's a bit late in the year but if you're in an area that has it you can check out getting weekly boxes of produce from nearby farmers. Usually really cheap and forces some variety in your diet as well as giving you new things to try. Also don't feel tied to serving carbs with every meal. A protein and a few kinds of veg can be perfectly filling and satisfying with the added bonus of making it easier to change things up.

How are you doing your potatoes? If you're just boiling them up and serving I'd get bored too. If you want alternatives to pasta/potatoes, make a rice dish! Fried rice, mexican rice, our resident vegemancer Dino's lemon rice, hell even plain rice is fine with chicken. You could make bread too! Bread owns eat all the bread.

Also beans. Dried beans are cheap as hell and go well with a lot of things, including ham and bacon!

She likes ham and bacon, does that apply to other cured pork? That could be an avenue to expanding food horizons. You can do lots of things with ham that aren't just "put ham on plate". Caldo verde and feijoada spring to mind.

If you want leftovers you can make huge fuckoff pots of a bean-based soup or stew with pretty much endless varieties and eat it for days.

Get thyself to the poor food thread as mentioned as well. Your SO's pickyness doesn't sound too bad to be honest. There are entire cuisines that don't use red meat and they do just fine (albeit often with onions). Look into some decent vegetarian/vegan recipes. Assuming that your list of her won't-eats is pretty exhaustive you shouldn't have too much trouble :)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

MohawkSatan posted:

Sever

But seriously, my wife was a bit like that about onions. It helps to make sure they are cooked down rather than raw and stiff. Get them to be translucent and floppy before adding whatever meat you will be cooking.

If that still is not good enough, try to compromise on a lighter onion taste. Maybe use scallions or chives rather than regular onions.

Also, make sure onions aren't the only flavor you're putting in to the dish. Adding carrots, garlic, celery, and/or bell peppers with onions is the basis for a lot of tasty, cheap dishes.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Sever.

I only like particular varietals of onions raw (but I like all of them cooked) and am not the biggest fan of scrambled or fried eggs (I like them cooked hard, or soufflés or whisked into things or cocktails) but I still eat them. gently caress someone who's picky for no reason and won't try things. My aversion to some eggs is embarrassing to me and I try to overcome it like, twice a month but I just don't like those things much... I eat the rest all the damned time though. I wouldn't/couldn't date a vegetarian or picky eater ever again.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

MohawkSatan in an effort to actually help you, are those the only things she won't eat? Will she try new things?

Totally willing to try new things, and that's the entire list of things she won't eat. Outside of that, she's not picky.

quote:

If funds permit I'd recommend buying fresh veg and cooking it in ways you haven't tried before. It's a bit late in the year but if you're in an area that has it you can check out getting weekly boxes of produce from nearby farmers. Usually really cheap and forces some variety in your diet as well as giving you new things to try. Also don't feel tied to serving carbs with every meal. A protein and a few kinds of veg can be perfectly filling and satisfying with the added bonus of making it easier to change things up.

While fresh veg isn't going to be around for too much longer, I do try and grab the best. I'm fairly limited in what I know how to cook well though. If you have any suggestions, it'd be appreciated. Carbs for every meal I admit is a bad habit leftover from growing up in a family where everyone worked very physical jobs.

quote:

How are you doing your potatoes? If you're just boiling them up and serving I'd get bored too. If you want alternatives to pasta/potatoes, make a rice dish! Fried rice, mexican rice, our resident vegemancer Dino's lemon rice, hell even plain rice is fine with chicken. You could make bread too! Bread owns eat all the bread.

Boiled, fried, roasted, baked, you name it. I'm not much of one for plain boiled potatoes, so I prefer to figure out different things to make out of them, even if it's just some mashed potatoes with plenty of garlic and gravy, or just sliced and fried in cast iron. Rice is a fairly regular thing, as curry and nasi goreng(sans onion) are family favourites, and I grew up making them. Beans I use when I can, but I don't know many recipes that use them(outside of chilis).

quote:

She likes ham and bacon, does that apply to other cured pork? That could be an avenue to expanding food horizons. You can do lots of things with ham that aren't just "put ham on plate". Caldo verde and feijoada spring to mind.

Pretty much just bacon and ham unfortunately. As for using them in ways aside from 'cook, put on plate' I'd prefer that. Soups, stews, mac and cheese, whatever the hell it seems like it'd go good in if I've got some. Caldo verde and feijoada both look and sound delicious, I'll make sure to write down what I need for them when I next grab groceries.

quote:

If you want leftovers you can make huge fuckoff pots of a bean-based soup or stew with pretty much endless varieties and eat it for days.

Get thyself to the poor food thread as mentioned as well. Your SO's pickyness doesn't sound too bad to be honest. There are entire cuisines that don't use red meat and they do just fine (albeit often with onions). Look into some decent vegetarian/vegan recipes. Assuming that your list of her won't-eats is pretty exhaustive you shouldn't have too much trouble :)

I'll look into various bean soups, thanks.

Will do on the poor food thread. And that list is pretty much 100% of what she will not eat, anything outside of that? She's game to try it, and so am I.

Thanks for the help and suggestions AllTerrineVehicle.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Olive Garden is getting worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxnAR8Vs0I

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

You say she doesn't like onions. Have you had any opportunity to notice whether she notices onions present in food she eats if she can't see them? My brother used to be an anti-onion guy, but he'd scarf down foods made with onion in them as long as he didn't know they were there.

More to the point, I suppose, is the question of whether she recognizes that she's a picky eater, and (importantly) whether she cares to change that. If she's open to expanding her culinary horizons there are lots of ways you can do it gently. If it's going to always be a matter of accommodating her no-flavor "quirk" I'd almost recommend you guys switch to a routine where you cook what you want to eat, and if she doesn't want to eat it, too, then she can boil herself up some pasta.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Jesus, think of the pot warranties.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

notmandatory posted:

I will be in SF next week, but wasn't able to get into State Bird. We ate there last year, and it totally lived up to the hype.

In Napa Valley, it does seem like almost everything is the same style of food and price point. I really like Farmstead. They also have something like $2 corkage, so it's great place to bring a nice bottle. All but one dish I had at JoLe was good (but the one bad one was a disaster, so I can't straight up recommend it, despite the amazing sand dabs). Busters BBQ is really good for a casual lunch. I haven't eaten there, but I always have cocktails at Auberge du Soleil because it's just so drat pretty.

you will be there next week, but weren't able to get in? syntax error bweep bweep time and space are imploding bweep bweep

just go late. we showed up 10:00 on a friday, no reservations, and were seated within 10 minutes. a few other folks did too.

thanks for the napa recs. glad the sameness wasn't just me being insane or pretentious or whatever.

in other news, had a very, very excellent tasting menu at Aubergine in Carmel last night. highly would recommend, very interesting food. also holy gently caress big sur is beautiful :cry:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bombhand posted:

You say she doesn't like onions. Have you had any opportunity to notice whether she notices onions present in food she eats if she can't see them? My brother used to be an anti-onion guy, but he'd scarf down foods made with onion in them as long as he didn't know they were there.

In my experience, people who "don't like onions" will insist that they don't like the taste, when it's really a texture issue. Onion powder is in loving everything, including a lot of lovely food that picky eaters like, and they never notice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
And raw onions. I do not care for raw onions: too strong and the taste lingers unpleasantly. But I LOVE cooked onions and they are in many of the dishes I cook. Almost everything is improved by the addition of caramelised onions.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

My husband is allergic (sensitive?) to onions and gets a really upset stomach if he eats anything with them. If they are reallllly cooked down/ processed it's less of an issue but he still doesn't feel good, so I cook without onions at all. I thought it would be horrible at first but honestly I don't even notice now. I use a good amount of garlic and lots of seasonings and it's fine. Cooking without onions really isn't the end of the world, surprisingly!

My suggestion for your picky eater gf is Japanese food. Lots of interesting things to make, and very cheap if you have an Asian grocer and can buy big bags of rice and big jugs of soy sauce and mirin. Making Japanese food kind of reset how I think of cooking and meal planning. It's a much more subtle and seasonal way of eating and relies on the flavor of vegetables (and fish if you eat it which I don't) instead of meat and potatoes.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Go completely allium free and use hing/asafoetida. Garlic and onions upset my humors and make me horny and violent . Fry up the hing and you won't even notice.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Garlic and onions will inhibit transcendence, because they are tomasic. As are mushrooms and peanuts.

(this is an old Indian superstition that a disturbingly large number of white people now buy into, thanks to Marharishi)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

Garlic and onions will inhibit transcendence, because they are tomasic. As are mushrooms and peanuts.

(this is an old Indian superstition that a disturbingly large number of white people now buy into, thanks to Marharishi)

That is extremely depressing. If a friend ever spouts this at me, with a heavy heart I will end their misery to contain the spread of the disease.

Once all of my friends are dead, far too long after their taste buds have died, I will sell my story to movie producers. I will request that it be called Night of the Living Bland.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006

mindphlux posted:

you will be there next week, but weren't able to get in? syntax error bweep bweep time and space are imploding bweep bweep

just go late. we showed up 10:00 on a friday, no reservations, and were seated within 10 minutes. a few other folks did too.

thanks for the napa recs. glad the sameness wasn't just me being insane or pretentious or whatever.

in other news, had a very, very excellent tasting menu at Aubergine in Carmel last night. highly would recommend, very interesting food. also holy gently caress big sur is beautiful :cry:

Sorry, I meant I wasn't able to get a reservation. With their old system, I knew exactly when new tables were made available so they were easy to get, but I don't know when that is with the new system, plus this trip was probably planned too last minute for that to matter anyway. I may end up trying to wait one night. I don't generally have the same tolerance for waiting in lines that most SF residents seem to have developed. Plus I know there are often great finds a bit under the radar.

I won't make it to Carmel this trip, but I will keep Aubergine in mind for the future. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My 9 year old didn't want to eat what I cooked for her one night last week.
Sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MohawkSatan posted:

:eng101: Pork isn't red meat

What's with today's kids being picky eaters and gluten-intolerant? I was raised on PBJ sandwiches and bologna sandwiches. We ate slices of bread/butter with almost every dinner.

Not like something? You sat there at the dinner table and you loving ate it, or fell asleep.

I think the only thing my mom quit making was spinach (microwaved, canned, yuck) because I hated it. But now I eat loving entire cans of it because I know how to cook it.