Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

http://gawker.com/convicted-killer-on-parole-stabs-woman-to-death-eats-h-1634966515

White guy kills a woman in 1998, gets parole, goes to another woman's house trying to break in, she calls the police who show up and tell him to go home, then come back the next morning to find her stabbed to death and half-eaten, take the suspect into custody and return him to jail

What does a white person have to do to get shot by the police in this country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

bassguitarhero posted:

Be a leftist protester.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

bassguitarhero posted:

http://gawker.com/convicted-killer-on-parole-stabs-woman-to-death-eats-h-1634966515

White guy kills a woman in 1998, gets parole, goes to another woman's house trying to break in, she calls the police who show up and tell him to go home, then come back the next morning to find her stabbed to death and half-eaten, take the suspect into custody and return him to jail

Be suicidal, while in a white community.
If your parents call the cops because you are suicidal, you may as well kiss the reaper. The cops are going to ensure that you die.
A lot of those parents probably thought the cops were good guys and would save their children. None of them expected the cops to kill their kid.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 15, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

twodot posted:

Which of these do you think asking for an ID falls under?
Which of my statements has anything to do with this strawman you keep bringing up?

I have only spoken to the police requiring a person to show id being illegal, since that is what happened here, and you've repeatedly countered with the statement "Show me where it's illegal for them to ask" which is not what I've been arguing, and it's dishonest for you to keep implying I've said that.

They violated both (1) and (2)

quote:

(1) intentionally subjects another to mistreatment or to arrest, detention, search, seizure, dispossession, assessment, or lien that he knows is unlawful;
It is unlawful to detain or arrest someone for not showing ID. They did so

quote:

(2) intentionally denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power, or immunity, knowing his conduct is unlawful;
People have the right not to carry documentation and to refuse to provide ID, and the police officers involved intentionally denied them this right.

How is this not clear?

bassguitarhero posted:

Having bipolar disorder or schizophrenia and having your family call the hospital for medical help for your condition are both pretty effective ways. Additionally, having neighbours (for a loose definition of neighbours) who may or may not have drugs, and reacting to the no-knock midnight raid by reaching for your weapon to defend yourself against the unknown intruders. Being heavily tattooed definitely helps as well, since it visually identifies you as a deviant that needs to be put down (although not to the extent that being black does!). And finally, being in a car that does or does not in any way look like a suspects car when that suspect has killed some cops.

Of course, all of these can be combined with being black, in which case good luck living to old age.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 15, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

twodot posted:

Yeah, I never said that being legal makes something right. GlyphGryph thinks something is illegal, and I think it is legal, I want to understand why we apparently have conflicting beliefs about reality. What relevance does this post have to anything I've said?

I will reply to you as much as I want. Get a loving grip, dude. Stop whining, it is really annoying.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 15, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I have only spoken to the police requiring a person to show id being illegal, since that is what happened here, and you've repeatedly countered with the statement "Show me where it's illegal for them to ask" which is not what I've been arguing, and it's dishonest for you to keep implying I've said that.

I'm pretty sure twodot is irl Chief Justice John Roberts, which is why he is confused that people are saying the cops required ID just because they asked her for it and then cuffed her for not providing it. Which is clearly just asking, because it's only an illegal requirement if the cop says "As an officer of the City of Los Angeles, I am hereby requiring you to provide ID in direct violation of the law of the State of California and if you do not comply with my unlawful command, I will forcefully punish you in various illegal ways including, but not limited to: detainment, arrest, beating, murder, and bullshit charges" and then only if this was transcribed by a court reporter at the scene, signed by two witnesses, and notarized.

Otherwise it's just asking, God dummy, are you saying you want the words "Can I see some ID" to be illegal now, God you're dumb.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I'm pretty sure twodot is irl Chief Justice John Roberts, which is why he is confused that people are saying the cops required ID just because they asked her for it and then cuffed her for not providing it. Which is clearly just asking, because it's only an illegal requirement if the cop says "As an officer of the City of Los Angeles, I am hereby requiring you to provide ID in direct violation of the law of the State of California and if you do not comply with my unlawful command, I will forcefully punish you in various illegal ways including, but not limited to: detainment, arrest, beating, murder, and bullshit charges" and then only if this was transcribed by a court reporter at the scene, signed by two witnesses, and notarized.

Otherwise it's just asking, God dummy, are you saying you want the words "Can I see some ID" to be illegal now, God you're dumb.

We can't make cops not lie, that would put them at a distinct disadvantage.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pohl posted:

Your idea is once again, we have police filmed and that film is somehow safe. That is a false idea.
It isn't about filming anymore, we can do that. What we can't do is guarantee the video stays alive. How lovely are the police when we can't even put cameras on them and expect the video to be their tomorrow?

Then what's your solution?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Pohl posted:

And she could have showed her Id and walked away...
The cops had no reason to arrest her, but they did detain her. Why?
I'm not trying to defend the cops. I'm just pointing out how race, class, and privilege cross. It relates to Mike Brown because he did not have the same privilege of claiming famous when confronted with the police.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You know, if every gun owning civilian would just shoot one cop in the face we could be rid of the whole mess. Can't get arrested if there are no police!
Just take the cops badge then you become the police.

temple fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 15, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Then what's your solution?

I like the camera on every officer idea, but I'm not going to dismiss the idea that the video will vanish when it is convenient. My idea is we need a national or federal organization to oversee and control the video.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

temple posted:

I'm not trying to defend the cops. I'm just pointing out how race, class, and privilege cross. It relates to Mike Brown because he did not have the same privilege of claiming famous when confronted with the police.

I love how in all your whingeing about Watts' :derp:Hollywood privilege!!!:derp:, all of her supposed special treatment consisted of not even being treated with basic decency or given the simple respect for her rights to which every American is entitled.

:argh:Pampered Hollywood actresses, lording it over us commoners with their getting targeted for harassment based on their skin color, and getting the privilege of unlawful detainment and causeless public humiliation! She wasn't summarily executed on the street, truly we are all in the grips of a new black Hollywood aristocracy.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

bassguitarhero posted:

Well it depends

How much does the white person know about Samurai Champloo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pohl posted:

I like the camera on every officer idea, but I'm not going to dismiss the idea that the video will vanish when it is convenient. My idea is we need a national or federal organization to oversee and control the video.

So you're idea is exactly what I was saying.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bassguitarhero posted:

Are leg shots ok?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

GlyphGryph posted:

Which of my statements has anything to do with this strawman you keep bringing up?

As far as I'm concerned "require" and "ask" are identical here (since the police are physically incapable of compelling me to give an ID, especially if I don't have one), which might explain the confusion. This paragraph implies to me you think it is legal for police to ask for IDs, but not to require them. What's the difference between the police asking and requiring something? Not be Socratic, but I'd guess your answer is "requiring something is asking for something with the threat of doing something else", if that's the case surely it's the "doing something else (detaining someone)" that is illegal and not the asking?
edit:

Pohl posted:

I will reply to you as much as I want. Get a loving grip, dude. Stop whining, it is really annoying.
What the gently caress? How can you possibly realize that you can reply as much as you want, but not realize I can state your replies have zero relevance to the thing you are ostensibly replying to as much as I want? I really don't care what you think is annoying. If you want me to stop saying your replies aren't relevant, feel free to stop replying to my post with irrelevant posts.

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 15, 2014

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

ChairMaster posted:

I've gotta say, people need to stop pretending like their rights mean poo poo. Show the cops your drat ID and get on with your day. You're gonna get your rear end kicked if you try and change the world so fuckin quit it.

What if you don't have your ID with you? I lose my license on a fairly regular basis because I'm horrifically disorganized. Despite that, cops don't seem to have a problem with me when they pull me over. At worst I get a ticket for not having it. Yet they still manage to do their police work even with my lack of cooperation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

As far as I'm concerned "require" and "ask" are identical here (since the police are physically incapable of compelling me to give an ID, especially if I don't have one), which might explain the confusion. This paragraph implies to me you think it is legal for police to ask for IDs, but not to require them. What's the difference between the police asking and requiring something? Not be Socratic, but I'd guess your answer is "requiring something is asking for something with the threat of doing something else", if that's the case surely it's the "doing something else (detaining someone)" that is illegal and not the asking?

So if I 'ask' you to do something and tell you I will punish you if you don't, that's not a requirement?

I guess in that case the fifth amendment is meaningless, because even if I beat a confession out of you, I wasn't "compelling" you to be a witness against yourself, just doing some perfectly-legal asking followed by a beating for not complying! :downs: I mean yeah, we should punish the cop for the beating, but since the suspect "volunteered" the confession, then that's all perfectly regular and admissible I guess. And of course if by volunteering he prevented the beating, then surely there's nothing illegal about that!

Tell me twodot, short of Jedi mind-control, is requiring someone to do something a physical impossibility then, since all I can do is impose consequences on someone for not complying with my requests, which is Totally Different from requiring something?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 15, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

twodot posted:

edit:

What the gently caress? How can you possibly realize that you can reply as much as you want, but not realize I can state your replies have zero relevance to the thing you are ostensibly replying to as much as I want? I really don't care what you think is annoying. If you want me to stop saying your replies aren't relevant, feel free to stop replying to my post with irrelevant posts.

Stop making lovely posts, you pedantic fucker.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pohl posted:

Stop making lovely posts, you pedantic fucker.

Nooooo, I want to hear more. If you think about it, a mugging isn't actually theft, because the guy asked me for my wallet and I gave it to him.

If he'd shot me, then that would have been wrong of course, but as long as he asks nicely with only the heavy implication that I'll be shot for refusing, then that's not illegal at all! Just a perfectly voluntary transaction between two capable adults.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

twodot posted:

This is exactly the reason that police "ask" if they can search your car instead of telling you "get out of your car while I search it" if they don't have probable cause.

If they add requirements to it "let me search your car or I'll arrest you", they have violated really basic legal requirements in the US, though I think this makes anything they find inadmissible in court? I know that's what happens if they search without permission, IANAL, but I'm assuming compelled "consent" does the same thing.

Technically, "requiring" just means there are consequences to the request. It is not even close to the same thing as "asking".

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

VitalSigns posted:

If he'd shot me, then that would have been wrong of course, but as long as he asks nicely with only the heavy implication that I'll be shot for refusing, then that's not illegal at all! Just a perfectly voluntary transaction between two capable adults.

This is how muggings will be legally performed by "Firearm Entepreneurs" in Libertopia.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

This is exactly the reason that police "ask" if they can search your car instead of telling you "get out of your car while I search it" if they don't have probable cause.

If they add requirements to it "let me search your car or I'll arrest you", they have violated really basic legal requirements in the US, though I think this makes anything they find inadmissible in court? I know that's what happens if they search without permission, IANAL, but I'm assuming compelled "consent" does the same thing.
I think these are distinguishable, because offering your ID to a cop requires your consent, where a cop can search your car/body without your consent. Even if you are going to argue you were coerced into giving your ID to a cop, I would think the exclusionary rule would basically never apply to identity, since it's typically straightforward to establish someone's identity other than asking for their ID. Also if we are talking about a scenario where a cop coerced someone into giving their ID, we should be using the word "coerced" and not "required".

quote:

Technically, "requiring" just means there are consequences to the request. It is not even close to the same thing as "asking".
Using this definition all requires contains an ask so they are at least somewhat close. Even then, police are generally allowed to request things with consequences, as an example plea bargains are straight up "Confess to crime x or we will arrest/charge you with crime y". If GlyphGryph is using this definition, it's important to nail down what the implied consequence is. "Give me your ID or I will kill" has obvious problems, "Give me your idea or I will call you silly names" doesn't seem to.

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 15, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ChairMaster posted:

I've gotta say, people need to stop pretending like their rights mean poo poo. Show the cops your drat ID and get on with your day. You're gonna get your rear end kicked if you try and change the world so fuckin quit it.

Talking about rights and trying to trap the police in some sort of superior legalistic logic challenge is one of the whitest things.

Cops tell you to do something, do it, or they'll find a reason to bust you. Or shoot you if you're swarthy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

Talking about rights and trying to trap the police in some sort of superior legalistic logic challenge is one of the whitest things.

Cops tell you to do something, do it, or they'll find a reason to bust you. Or And shoot you if you're swarthy.

Corrected for accuracy.

Jokes aside, don't blame the victims for what happens to them. Should a woman just allow an rapist to take her, lest he find a reason to do worse?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Jokes aside, don't blame the victims for what happens to them. Should a woman just allow an rapist to take her, lest he find a reason to do worse?

Remember a rapist can't require a woman to give in to him; he's just asking, and if she does it, it's on her.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Who What Now posted:

Corrected for accuracy.

No, the cops are at fault here, not the victim. I'm saying cops are raging assholes and will use any excuse to violate your rights and get away with it. Whites just think they have rights that aren't dependent on cops not being horrible because they aren't nearly as heavily targetted.

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

twodot posted:

I think these are distinguishable, because offering your ID to a cop requires your consent, where a cop can search your car/body without your consent. Even if you are going to argue you were coerced into giving your ID to a cop, I would think the exclusionary rule would basically never apply to identity, since it's typically straightforward to establish someone's identity other than asking for their ID. Also if we are talking about a scenario where a cop coerced someone into giving their ID, we should be using the word "coerced" and not "required".

Using this definition all requires contains an ask so they are at least somewhat close. Even then, police are generally allowed to request things with consequences, as an example plea bargains are straight up "Confess to crime x or we will arrest/charge you with crime y". If GlyphGryph is using this definition, it's important to nail down what the implied consequence is. "Give me your ID or I will kill" has obvious problems, "Give me your idea or I will call you silly names" doesn't seem to.

Holy poo poo these are the worst loving arguments. The cop asked her for her ID, she refused, cop then detained her for refusing. That's illegal and it's already been pointed out to you very clearly how and why it is. Stop being so loving dense.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
It's weird how people suddenly forget that being required to produce identification on demand is a hallmark of nightmare dystopias when a black person is the one being required to produce them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

twodot posted:

where a cop can search your car/body without your consent.
You should just stop posting, your ignorance is showing.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Wadjamaloo posted:

*sniff* *sniff* "What's that? I smell probable cause."

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

And once again we in the realm of what cops can do, and what they get away with doing, but hey we should just submit to everything they ask because we are innocent white and have nothing to hide.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Los Angeles, 2014: Couple kissing in public

White couple: ":3:"
Black couple: ":3:"

Interracial couple: "EEK!" *dials 911* "A CRACKWHORE'S loving A JOHN SEND HELLLLLLP" *locks deadbolt*

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I wish black people would be more courageous and challenge police authority during confrontations because I'm white and have opinions over the internet. I'll watch the live stream of their funeral (only if white girls are reporting).

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013
To topic - looks like further stalling is in order. Grand Jury has till Jan 7th now. I know this poo poo takes time but come the gently caress on. Can't help but think they're hoping we'll forget, or at least put off the inevitable until the last possible moment.

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_aa4111fc-2952-54c9-8316-76c4867dea48.html?mobile_touch=true

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

temple posted:

I wish black people would be more courageous and challenge police authority during confrontations because I'm white and have opinions over the internet. I'll watch the live stream of their funeral (only if white girls are reporting).

Complying only guarantees you don't end up in a body bag if you're white. People of color have no such security.

That's why the thread is talking about ways to reduce the police ability to abuse their authority so people don't have to face the choice of complying with illegal requests or raise your chances of getting shot, and no one has said anything like what you're making up.

The onus shouldn't be on the victims of brutality to choose between having their rights violated and getting punished more severely. Complying with illegal coercion might be the practical choice in many situations, but the extent to which that choice is forced on people is an indictment of our society and something we should change.

But thanks for finally admitting the police treatment of Watts was wrong, I appreciate that you've come around on that :)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 16, 2014

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

YeahWhatevah posted:

To topic - looks like further stalling is in order. Grand Jury has till Jan 7th now. I know this poo poo takes time but come the gently caress on. Can't help but think they're hoping we'll forget, or at least put off the inevitable until the last possible moment.

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_aa4111fc-2952-54c9-8316-76c4867dea48.html?mobile_touch=true

Are there any of the players involved with this case up for reelection in November? Pushing this back could be used to protect those reelection campaigns?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Disabled Hitler posted:

Holy poo poo these are the worst loving arguments. The cop asked her for her ID, she refused, cop then detained her for refusing. That's illegal and it's already been pointed out to you very clearly how and why it is. Stop being so loving dense.
I think those facts are in dispute. The cops had at least one other factor to consider (the busybody that called the police in the first place), not counting anything else they saw. Separate from this case I certainly agree that merely refusing to offer ID should not be sufficient to detain someone, but the burden to detain someone is so laughably low, that practically speaking the police will never have a problem inventing a plausible justification.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Uh, that phrase is true on multiple levels. Not only can police search your car or body without your consent legally (by warrant or probable cause), they are also physically capable of searching your car or body without your consent illegally. This is different from offering the police your ID, since short of mind control, if you give the police your ID, you had to at some level think it is a good thing to do (even if you were coerced).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

I think those facts are in dispute. The cops had at least one other factor to consider (the busybody that called the police in the first place), not counting anything else they saw.

If those were factors in her detainment, then why wasn't the husband detained as well?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

If those were factors in her detainment, then why wasn't the husband detained as well?
He gave the cop his ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

temple posted:

He gave the cop his ID.

Right, exactly, because the complaint or other observations before the stop weren't factors in the treatment of Watts during the stop, and it was all an illegal retribution for being uppity and not surrendering the ID she had no legal duty to surrender. Twodot's desire to make the complaint an issue was a red herring, because as you've deftly pointed out, the complaint was not cause for detention and with no cause for detention, refusing to show her ID couldn't have been sufficient cause either. Thank you.

• Locked thread