Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

I'm fairly certain that people are underestimating delve for eternal. Although, I believe that Dig Through Time is more likely to make waves than Treasure Cruise.

Dig Through Time is insane value. It even puts the cards on the bottom of your library so you don't have to fetch to shuffle away bad cards, isn't that nice of it?

Deathrite will be even more important, if such a thing were even possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm not certain about Treasure Cruise in Legacy, but I'm sure it's worth trying out in Mono-U Tron. Other than Mindslaver, that deck really doesn't do anything with its graveyard.

I don't think Mono-U Tron cares much about Treasure Cruise since it already gets to play a draw 3 for 3 instant as a 4 of and I don't really see being able to play it T2, even throwing in fetches just for the delve boost.

The local meta doesn't have a lot of control though so I haven't played the UWR matchup enough to know if maybe it wants it in the board for refilling later on against them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm not certain about Treasure Cruise in Legacy, but I'm sure it's worth trying out in Mono-U Tron. Other than Mindslaver, that deck really doesn't do anything with its graveyard.

I was thinking the same thing. I actually think Dig Through Time might be better in control decks though. I'll test them both out either way. I definitely like Treasure Cruise for my modern RUG deck.

Mortimer posted:

I'm a bit upset they didn't print 9UU: Time Trot: Target player takes another turn after this one

just so I could read "It's literally a time walk"

Time Walk cost 1U. :colbert:

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 16, 2014

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

There's not some weird control deck that can push the boundaries of "good enough" so that I can slowly grind into casting Villainous Wealth for a bunch, and there's also not some mad combo thats bad, but not so bad as to be complete horeshit.

How am I supposed to play Standard now?

I don't play Aggro or Midrange much these days. I'm not much of a control player, but you're all right, if there's a control deck it'll revolve around Elspeth and Banishing Light before End Hostilities, so there's not some mid tier jank control.

I'll keep an eye out, and Standard does look sweet, nicer than it's been for a while, but for me I'm just not seeing anything I want to play. :/

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm dumb and I said Treasure Cruise when I meant to say Dig Through Time. Everyone who said Dig Through Time is the better of those two is correct.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

jassi007 posted:

Could be. I will admit I am not a fan of Junk/Orzhov colors, but I do love me some Gruul Izzet. It really feels like Temur is just this great smashing together of Gruul/Izzet.
Honestly I'm thinking that Temur will be an example of what Izzet guild in Return to Ravnica should have been.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ungulateman posted:

Jace is rotating along with all the good stuff (aka boring overpowered poo poo) in U/W. e: Unless you mean the terrible Jace, who is definitely a BUg card.

There was nothing overpowered about UW control. It was a good deck with good cards, but none of them were JtMS or Delver tier.

The only actually overpowered thing there was this standard was Thoughtseize. This was the lowest power standard in the last 5-6 years.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 16, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
The standard we just had was fun at times and frustrating at times. Frustrating because we got 1 middle set that was a huge let down and didn't shake things up enough. Also RTR is a bit overpowered and people want to play the best cards available. They didn't print many RTR hosers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Korak posted:

The standard we just had was fun at times and frustrating at times. Frustrating because we got 1 middle set that was a huge let down and didn't shake things up enough. Also RTR is a bit overpowered and people want to play the best cards available. They didn't print many RTR hosers.

RTR wasn't overpowered at all, are you crazy?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just didn't feel like I was doing enough fun things this Standard. I went from playing Pyromancer Ascension to playing mono-U Delver to playing G/W aggro to playing Murdergoats, which didn't get much from the Theros block. I'm really excited by the M15 and Khans additions to the deck, so I'm excited to play Magic again.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TheKingofSprings posted:

There was nothing overpowered about UW control. It was a good deck with good cards, but none of them were JtMS or Delver tier.

The only actually overpowered thing there was this standard was Thoughtseize. This was the lowest power standard in the last 5-6 years.

It wasn't that it was overpowered, it was just restrictive and the deck just built itself. The UW Control deck that won the last Pro Tour was almost card for card the same 75 that was winning events a year ago. It doesn't have to be broken to be incredibly stale.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It wasn't that it was overpowered, it was just restrictive and the deck just built itself. The UW Control deck that won the last Pro Tour was almost card for card the same 75 that was winning events a year ago. It doesn't have to be broken to be incredibly stale.

Bingo. The new cards after Theros didn't have enough impact to really shake things up, so we kept seeing the same matches for almost a year.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sure, ignoring Mutavault which was on its own tier of overpoweredness

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Sure, ignoring Mutavault which was on its own tier of overpoweredness

Mutavault was well suited to a multicolour light standard, which this was.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Both from Lorwyn block, funnily enough.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm just not certain there's something in Temur colors making it slambang better than Junk. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Stain the Mind or Despise running around in a black splash deck which would at least give it a good proactive solution to Stormbreath, which is its biggest enemy.

The charm is pretty silly. removal/counterspell/evasion for creatures in one card. I also don't think Temur decks can be hurt by dealing with one guy. They'll have several threats that have built in protections. Stain the mind my stormbreath? Ok fine here is Sagu Mauler. Wrath the Mauler? Ok here is Savage Knuckleblade. etc etc.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mutavault was well suited to a multicolour light standard, which this was.

No, it FORCED a multicolor(edit: MONO-colored) Standard. Every deck was 2-3 color using the RTR block lands prior to rotation.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 16, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think Stubborn Denial and Disdainful Stroke are both going to be big-game in new standard. They're obviously weak against a mono-red deck though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

L0cke17 posted:

I'm fairly certain that people are underestimating delve for eternal. Although, I believe that Dig Through Time is more likely to make waves than Treasure Cruise.

Yeah, I don't get it. Dig Through Time is busted, more so than Treasure Cruise. Sure, I guess 3 cards is better card advantage than 2, but drawing 7 and taking the 2 best of those is probably just a better play, especially at instant speed.

jassi007 posted:

The charm is pretty silly. removal/counterspell/evasion for creatures in one card. I also don't think Temur decks can be hurt by dealing with one guy. They'll have several threats that have built in protections. Stain the mind my stormbreath? Ok fine here is Sagu Mauler. Wrath the Mauler? Ok here is Savage Knuckleblade. etc etc.

I don't think "I can just play more creatures when you kill them" has historically been a sound argument in favor of a deck. Sagu Mauler is a 6-drop and Thoughtseize is still in Standard with Despise waiting in the boards.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 16, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, I don't get it. Dig Through Time is busted, more so than Treasure Cruise. Sure, I guess 3 cards is better card advantage than 2, but drawing 7 and taking the 2 best of those is probably just a better play, especially at instant speed.

Dig Through Time is definitely the better card, I'd rather be casting that one anytime but especially at instant speed. I just got confused about their names.

I'm dumb and I said Treasure Cruise when I meant to say Dig Through Time. Everyone who said Dig Through Time is the better of those two is correct.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

No, it FORCED a multicolor(edit: MONO-colored) Standard. Every deck was 2-3 color using the RTR block lands prior to rotation.

No, you're right, Master of Waves, Thassa and Gary did nothing to encourage it, I'm sorry

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, you're right, Master of Waves, Thassa and Gary did nothing to encourage it, I'm sorry

They came after Mutavault and just kinda locked Mono-colored in. Mutavault made the first push towards that.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

TheKingofSprings posted:

RTR wasn't overpowered at all, are you crazy?
Reread my post :lol:. RTR was pretty overpowered compared to m14/theros/m15. There's some Theros cards that cannot shine until new standard hits in 2(?) weeks.

quote:

I think Stubborn Denial and Disdainful Stroke are both going to be big-game in new standard. They're obviously weak against a mono-red deck though.
Does a blue deck have other cards to use main deck against mono red to hose their gameplan? If not, then they might be just good sideboard cards.

edit: Tidebinder mage and Frostburn weird do a lot for the archtype right now to fight red decks. Not having those might hurt more than we realize.

Korak fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 16, 2014

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
After taking advice from the thread I've signed up for next weekend's prerelease at my LGS, so thanks for that!

However, it will be my first experience with playing physical MTG, so what I want to ask: is if there's anything I should NOT do at said event if I'm wanting to stay in good graces with opponents? The signups made it clear that newbies were welcome but seems like some veterans will be there so I'd hate to annoy anyone too badly. Are there any particular faux pas to avoid beyond don't be a dick?

Also an inexperienced 'does this happen' question; are decks with more than 2 colours ever played, beyond as a way to splash for very specific stuff? I ask as I saw a rather extreme example while browsing, in an artifact that was basically 'win the game on your opponent's next turn' (Door to Nothing or something?) and cost like 2 of every colour and then some. Upon seeing this I just thought that MUST require some sort of trickery to work consistently, or is just so bloated it's unplayable?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Mutavault, most of the duals coming into play tapped, and the Devotion mechanic all contributed to the monocolor/monocolor-with-a-splash/Courser-and-Caryatid metagame. I think the mana was a lot more determinate of the shape of the format than the Devotion mechanic. Even without Thassa it would've near impossible to justify playing a deck that wanted to curve out having more than one color and a splash and Mutavault is a way stronger card than any of the devotion payoff spells.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

The Wicked Wall posted:

After taking advice from the thread I've signed up for next weekend's prerelease at my LGS, so thanks for that!

However, it will be my first experience with playing physical MTG, so what I want to ask: is if there's anything I should NOT do at said event if I'm wanting to stay in good graces with opponents? The signups made it clear that newbies were welcome but seems like some veterans will be there so I'd hate to annoy anyone too badly. Are there any particular faux pas to avoid beyond don't be a dick?

Also an inexperienced 'does this happen' question; are decks with more than 2 colours ever played, beyond as a way to splash for very specific stuff? I ask as I saw a rather extreme example while browsing, in an artifact that was basically 'win the game on your opponent's next turn' (Door to Nothing or something?) and cost like 2 of every colour and then some. Upon seeing this I just thought that MUST require some sort of trickery to work consistently, or is just so bloated it's unplayable?
Before drawing your hand you always roll to see who goes first.
Yes, decks can run 1 to 5 colors, the Door to Nothingness deck was full 5 color and had mana-fixing that supported that plan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Wicked Wall posted:

Never offer to concede in exchange for anything. Never agree to give anything in exchange for a concession.

If anything your opponents do seems even the slightest bit fishy, immediately call a judge. Do not let your opponent explain it; ask a judge to do so.

The vast majority of players will completely understand you wanting to double check.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The Door to Nothingness deck was at its best when RTR was in Standard but before Gatecrash was released. People were gaining absurd amounts of life off of Thragtusk and Restoration Angel and Sphinx's Revelation if you couldn't kill those Bant decks by turn 4 you were in for some very, very long games. It still wasn't particularly good but it went over the top of basically everything.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Wicked Wall posted:

Always ask questions if there's something you don't understand, and calling a Judge for any game related reason is acceptable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

Never offer to concede in exchange for anything. Never agree to give anything in exchange for a concession.

If anything your opponents do seems even the slightest bit fishy, immediately call a judge. Do not let your opponent explain it; ask a judge to do so.

The vast majority of players will completely understand you wanting to double check.

A slight proviso: never offer/accept/discuss conceding in return for anything beyond the combined prize pool allocated to both the winner and loser of your own match. If together you would earn 7 and 3 packs, you can agree to a 5/5 split or whatever.

In general people at a prerelease are really relaxed and enjoying the new cards. Just go and have fun and soak up that Christmas morning excitement.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Don't be afraid to call a judge is kind of a big one. Also after a game if anyone plays a morph card make sure it gets revealed to you if your opponent plays it and vice versa. As much as morph seems like a cool effect I can see it causing a lot of headaches.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tracula posted:

Don't be afraid to call a judge is kind of a big one. Also after a game if anyone plays a morph card make sure it gets revealed to you if your opponent plays it and vice versa. As much as morph seems like a cool effect I can see it causing a lot of headaches.

Extension: This applies to a morph creature any time it changes zones. If you cast an unsummon effect, they have to reveal that card before it goes back to their hand.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

A slight proviso: never offer/accept/discuss conceding in return for anything beyond the combined prize pool allocated to both the winner and loser of your own match. If together you would earn 7 and 3 packs, you can agree to a 5/5 split or whatever.

In general people at a prerelease are really relaxed and enjoying the new cards. Just go and have fun and soak up that Christmas morning excitement.

You're not wrong, but there's a distinction between "splitting the prizes" and "conceding in exchange for 2 packs." The former is legal, because you can do whatever you want with your prizes. The latter is collusion.

Intentionally drawing and splitting the prizes is fine, scooping to someone is fine. Explicitly scooping to gain something is collusion. Apparently.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Some Numbers posted:

You're not wrong, but there's a distinction between "splitting the prizes" and "conceding in exchange for 2 packs." The former is legal, because you can do whatever you want with your prizes. The latter is collusion.

Intentionally drawing and splitting the prizes is fine, scooping to someone is fine. Explicitly scooping to gain something is collusion. Apparently.

Because they result in different scores and Wizards wants fairness in the scoring system.

Splitting "results" in a 1-1-1 Draw for both players and is put down as such. Scooping results in 2-0 for the "Winner" and 0-2 for the "Loser."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Extension: This applies to a morph creature any time it changes zones. If you cast an unsummon effect, they have to reveal that card before it goes back to their hand.

Ugh that's a good point. Honestly what you want to do is probably talk to whoever is sort of hosting them and sort of make sure they go over morph in as much detail as possible beforehand. It'll probably be longwinded but will save a lot of headache.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tracula posted:

Ugh that's a good point. Honestly what you want to do is probably talk to whoever is sort of hosting them and sort of make sure they go over morph in as much detail as possible beforehand. It'll probably be longwinded but will save a lot of headache.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with this at GP Orlando. I'm not entirely sure what the infraction and penalty would be for not revealing before it goes back to your hand. I know I'll have to call someone on it and they're going to be all pissed off and waving a morph creature at me saying it's no big deal, but at Competitive REL that won't fly.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
streamin some commander on mtgo http://www.twitch.tv/pyronicex

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm not looking forward to dealing with this at GP Orlando. I'm not entirely sure what the infraction and penalty would be for not revealing before it goes back to your hand. I know I'll have to call someone on it and they're going to be all pissed off and waving a morph creature at me saying it's no big deal, but at Competitive REL that won't fly.

According to JUDGE JOE BONO it's a game loss to fail to reveal a morph moving to another zone if it cannot be rectified (but also that's its a rules violation and the responsibility of both players to make sure morphs are shown and not to try and get your opponent with it). Exile, graveyard and top of deck are easy to rectify but going back to the hand might not be.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

UberJew posted:

According to JUDGE JOE BONO it's a game loss to fail to reveal a morph moving to another zone if it cannot be rectified (but also that's its a rules violation and the responsibility of both players to make sure morphs are shown and not to try and get your opponent with it). Exile, graveyard and top of deck are easy to rectify but going back to the hand might not be.

That's what I was thinking. It's like drawing extra cards...once it hits your hand, there's no way to prove THIS was the card you drew so it's a bigger problem, but for most other zones it can be easily backed up and you just get a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
So one of my friends was sick so to cheer him up I figured I'd make some tokens for him. They were to sort-of match the three I had made previously for myself.

The 3 B/W spirit tokens are for myself while the rest are for my friend.

They are all made on watercolor stock with an ink and pen over pencil drawing all from hand. If you want them for yourself you can take them, I don't mind.
Please let me know if I messed up the code to make these images too big or the links don't work because I'm bad at forums.

• Locked thread