Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'd venture there's some good middle ground between 'broad stroke parody everyone's in on' and 'something 0.1% of the audience ever realise is meant to be a joke' Brass Eye (or anything else by Chris Morris really) is a good example of something pretty radical and aggressive in its tone and subject matter which wasn't too subtle or convoluted to be mistaken for earnesty by most of its audience either. (And I'd certainly put Black Ops in the latter category; if it looks like a duck, people think it's a duck and espouse its duckly values ...)
Antisemites love Borat, racists love The Boondocks. Have they failed to be blunt enough to qualify as satire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

setafd posted:

Yeah, he killed the hell out of Liam Neeson, right
Right.

Batman's no-kill and no-gun rules were originally a 'code of honor' thing, but have increasingly become reflexive choices that have nothing to do with tradition. Instead, they have everything to do with his anxiety concerning the fact that there is absolutely no traditional authority stopping him from killing - that he truly does operate 'above the law', afforded near-unlimited freedom thanks to his immense wealth.

It should be pretty clear to anyone that these rules are not ethical stances but simply a means of feeling better about himself.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Antisemites love Borat, racists love The Boondocks. Have they failed to be blunt enough to qualify as satire?

I don't disagree some people are always going to be stupid or ignorant enough to read satire, though I Borat's case I thought the 'satire' was more of a cynical take-it-or-leave it affair in how it portrayed the disgusting hill people of Kazakhstan, but yes if the overwhelming majority of people fail to read it as satire then it has failed; satire is a political statement and it exists to provoke and comment on society, if people cannot distinguish that from the genuine, unironic discourse of those it's set out to satirise it's failed to do so.

'CineD posters have interpreted the world, the point however is to change it.'

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 14, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't disagree some people are always going to be stupid or ignorant enough to read satire, though I Borat's case I thought the 'satire' was more of a cynical take-it-or-leave it affair in how it portrayed the disgusting hill people of Kazakhstan, but yes if the overwhelming majority of people fail to read it as satire then it has failed; satire is a political statement and it exists to provoke and comment on society, if people cannot distinguish that from the genuine, unironic discourse of those it's set out to satirise it's failed to do so.

So unless satire has explicit hyperbole, it can't be successful?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

but yes if the overwhelming majority of people fail to read it as satire then it has failed; satire is a political statement and it exists to provoke and comment on society, if people cannot distinguish that from the genuine, unironic discourse of those it's set out to satirise it's failed to do so.

Then is there any successful satire out there?

I tend to think the opposite; if there are people out there taking a work of satire at face-value then that makes it stronger; it proves the satire is relevant and not just targetting straw-men.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The joke in most of SBC's work is to reveal something about the unwitting participant, it's always about the reaction.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Unless your actual intent is to deliver a nebulous message, the ability to communicate the thing you want to communicate is an important skill that not all storytellers possess.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

computer parts posted:

So unless satire has explicit hyperbole, it can't be successful?

That's not what I said. I said said satire cannot be successful, at least as an attempt to influence its society's discourse, unless people appreciate that it is satire, you're still welcome to enjoy it on its own merits anyway.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Then is there any successful satire out there?

I tend to think the opposite; if there are people out there taking a work of satire at face-value then that makes it stronger; it proves the satire is relevant and not just targetting straw-men.

Splitting Image is often attributed to helping to discredit Mary Whitehouse's media censorship campaign, though generally it's hard to quantify the effects of satire on peoples opinions without, you know, a research grant or something. I conceed though that alot of the subjects of satire are ingrained authority and challenging their discourses is an uphill struggle, but if you don't at least try you're sure as hell not going to succeed. And again, obviously some people are going to buy into whatever you make unironically, but if that group is the overwhelming majority I don't what purpose it serves other than making an enlightened minority feel better about their superior intellect. The Black Ops games, as part of the CoD series, are marketed as jingoistic power fantasies to jingoistic young men who by and large absorb the material uncritically and in turn continue to be unpleasant racist people; even if Goyer wrote them as satire I fail to see how any part of that process lives up to the confrontational, critical tradition laid out by A Modest Proposal, Brass Eye, Four Lions and so forth.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I conceed though that alot of the subjects of satire are ingrained authority and challenging their discourses is an uphill struggle, but if you don't at least try you're sure as hell not going to succeed. And again, obviously some people are going to buy into whatever you make unironically, but if that group is the overwhelming majority I don't what purpose it serves other than making an enlightened minority feel better about their superior intellect.

What about provoking and commenting on society for anyone in the audience willing to think it all through, whether that ends up being the majority or a minority; making them question and examine the issues and topics brought up in new ways?

How do you know anything about the majority of the audience for those games? Without that, you know, research grant or anything. How could you know that "jingoistic young men who by and large absorb the material uncritically and in turn continue to be unpleasant racist people" are the majority there?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

...I fail to see how any part of that process lives up to the confrontational, critical tradition laid out by A Modest Proposal, Brass Eye, Four Lions and so forth.

Since none of us have researched the majority reactions to A Modest Proposal, Brass Eye, Four Lions and so forth none of us can really say whether they were successful satires (by your standard).

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 15, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Black Ops games exist as satire somewhere between Starship Troopers and the Michael Bay Transformers series.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
After the credits of Black Ops 2, all the primary characters get together and perform as Avenged Sevenfold

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting. Someone apparently managed to record the audio of the Avengers 2 comic-con teaser, which I haven't seen talked about. Ultron is coming across as rather creepy, including a fairly unsettling remix of a classic Disney song.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't believe for a second that the creators of Black Ops II seriously believe any of what the game espouses (with the possible exception of Goyer, since he's a fascist piece of poo poo), but I also don't think it's satirical. It really came off to me as just a cynical attempt to tick every single box the "CoD demographic" (hyper-masculine 18-35 year old males with extreme right wing views) looks for, from the main menu all the way to the post-credits Avenged Sevenfold concert.

Fun game, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The COD demographic is "all males".

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I dunno, I'd be inclined to say that most people outside of the specific demographic I mentioned just don't care about that poo poo and buy CoD because they like shooting people over the internet. The bro-posturing and Oliver North cameos and Avenged Sevenfold concerts and poo poo like that are meant to rope people like this in.

(Yes, that's an officially licensed CoD: Ghosts balaclava that batshit-crazy neo-Nazi militia member is wearing.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's fine if you don't like it. The demographic that COD is shooting for is "all males".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't believe for a second that the creators of Black Ops II seriously believe any of what the game espouses (with the possible exception of Goyer, since he's a fascist piece of poo poo), but I also don't think it's satirical. It really came off to me as just a cynical attempt to tick every single box the "CoD demographic" (hyper-masculine 18-35 year old males with extreme right wing views) looks for, from the main menu all the way to the post-credits Avenged Sevenfold concert.

Fun game, though.

This is where I stand. In my limited view, everyone I personally know that loves COD games chews dip, shoots guns, hates Obama, Muslims, and would go into war and murder people in a loving heart beat.

This isn't everyone in the world, of course. Just people I know. I mean, I do actually like the games, and I don't do/agree with any of that. But I like it for the production values and soundtracks. They make for a cool little interactive movie. I like that. But I don't think any of the people that I've talked too notice what I notice. They just like murdering the terrorists.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Whether CODBLOPS2 was intended as satire or not, it's already hampered by the fact video game writers and writing are hovering barely above the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality and capability.

e: COD games are satire like Foodfight is.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I don't know about that. Maybe CODBLOPS can be interpreted as satire, but what is Foodfight's satirical message? We must all support branded goods and buying generics is like supporting fascism?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

I don't know about that. Maybe CODBLOPS can be interpreted as satire, but what is Foodfight's satirical message? We must all support branded goods and buying generics is like supporting fascism?

There's a lot more wrong with the Foodfight than the message.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

There's a lot more wrong with the Foodfight than the message.

I don't know that there's anything wrong with Call of Duty as long as you take it as a given that Red Dawn is what people are aiming for instead of a realistic take on American foreign policy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

This is where I stand. In my limited view, everyone I personally know that loves COD games chews dip, shoots guns, hates Obama, Muslims, and would go into war and murder people in a loving heart beat.

I'm not really a videogame person, but this is bizarre to me because the one dude I know who plays those games is a chill dude who smokes weed all day.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm not really a videogame person, but this is bizarre to me because the one dude I know who plays those games is a chill dude who smokes weed all day.

Sounds like your typical gamer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think video games, and especially young male targeted ones, suffer from a very loud minority of terrible people. You don't hear the people not shouting "human being," "oval office," or "friend of the family" every other sentence because they likely aren't shouting anything, but even if it's only 10% who do that, if it's a game that has 32 people playing at the same time that means there's likely 3 people doing that any given game, if there's only 5 other people in a game, you'll still likely hear from at least one every other time you play.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Aren't the people who would go into war in a heartbeat in limited supply to play video games, considering the low bar of entry for the military?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Kodiak posted:

Aren't the people who would go into war in a heartbeat in limited supply to play video games, considering the low bar of entry for the military?

The bar's been getting higher and higher since the wars are drawing down.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, the people I know who play Call of Duty are just the people I know who play video games casually, and, as mentioned, almost all male. The same audience as Madden

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Sir Kodiak posted:

Lots of soldiers love those games because they joined to be those games, and in many cases see their ideal lives/careers reflected in those games. Its a really strange thing to witness.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Just about every dude I know plays CoD, but the ones who are CoD fans (versus just getting them because they're decent shootmans games with a consistently big multiplayer community) are scary, scary people.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Devoted fans of anything are weird though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What about the fans devoted enough to buy Call of Duty comics?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

What about the fans devoted enough to buy Call of Duty comics?

Looking at the cover I have to expect it to be Dredd esque satire.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I live in a very white town in Colorado. So that could be it.

(They smoke weed too.)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

PriorMarcus posted:

I wish the Dark Knight Rises had just gone insane and introduced Lazarus pits and brought back Neeson.

It did have a Lazarus pit and did bring back Neeson/gift him a form of immortality (briefly), just neither were in the more literal way used in the comics.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sentinel Red posted:

It did have a Lazarus pit and did bring back Neeson/gift him a form of immortality (briefly), just neither were in the more literal way used in the comics.

They should reverse-canonize it so that in the comics at the bottom of every Lazarus pit is an angry Uzbeki guy who punches you in the back so hard that you're fully healed of everything.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The official synopsis for Avengers 2 has been revealed. Emphasis mine.

quote:

Marvel Studios presents "Avengers: Age of Ultron," the epic follow-up to the biggest Super Hero movie of all time. When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and Earth's Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put to the ultimate test as the fate of the planet hangs in the balance. As the villainous Ultron emerges, it is up to The Avengers to stop him from enacting his terrible plans, and soon uneasy alliances and unexpected action pave the way for an epic and unique global adventure.

Marvel's "Avengers: Age of Ultron" stars Robert Downey Jr., who returns as Iron Man, along with Chris Evans as Captain America, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk. Together with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, and with the additional support of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill, the team must reassemble to defeat James Spader as Ultron, a terrifying technological villain hell bent on human extinction. Along the way, they confront two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Wanda Maximoff, played by Elizabeth Olsen, and Pietro Maximoff, played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and meet an old friend in a new form when Paul Bettany becomes Vision.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The MSJ posted:

The official synopsis for Avengers 2 has been revealed. Emphasis mine.

Oh god, it's almost literally "Tony Stark tries to do what the bad guys (who are literal Nazis) tried to do in the last Captain America movie." Chris Evans should utter "I'm getting too old for this poo poo" at some point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Skwirl posted:

Oh god, it's almost literally "Tony Stark tries to do what the bad guys (who are literal Nazis) tried to do in the last Captain America movie." Chris Evans should utter "I'm getting too old for this poo poo" at some point.

It'd be the ultimate blue balling of comic nerds if all the infinity gem stuff was a distraction from them actually building up to doing the civil war storyline in Avengers 3 instead.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

It'd be the ultimate blue balling of comic nerds if all the infinity gem stuff was a distraction from them actually building up to doing the civil war storyline in Avengers 3 instead.

And it will end with Peter Quill landing down in the middle of battle and uniting the warring sides with the power of dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait, so J.A.R.V.I.S. is going to become the Vision? Or does Paul Bettany just happen to be voicing both?

• Locked thread