Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
With regards to the MTGO bug from a page back, here is an interesting article from the Meadery. While the opinion is the same as is shared amongst most, I like how the author breaks some of it down and goes through some of the issues with MTGO as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Oraculum Animi posted:

So one of my friends was sick so to cheer him up I figured I'd make some tokens for him. They were to sort-of match the three I had made previously for myself.

These are really cute.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Does Phalanx Leader work really well with Outlast creatures?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Gensuki posted:

Does Phalanx Leader work really well with Outlast creatures?

Not the keyword Outlast but the creatures that are meant to work with outlast conferring benefits to all creatures with +1/+1 counters.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Deofuta posted:

With regards to the MTGO bug from a page back, here is an interesting article from the Meadery. While the opinion is the same as is shared amongst most, I like how the author breaks some of it down and goes through some of the issues with MTGO as is.

I'm currently 8-2 in 2-man matches, with an additional 5 matches that I "lost" (at least 3 of which I was almost guaranteed to win) because of Mindslaver glitches, MTGO crashes/lag, etc. What annoys me more than the fact that a 10-year-old card doesn't actually work is if there's somewhere that the keep track of my record, it looks like I'm not very good when I actually have an amazing record.

I just Mindslaver locked someone playing Jund and attacked myself with Flamespeaker to start clearing his board. Oops! I can't trigger the Flamespeaker. He was good enough to concede at least.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I hate to sound like a prick if I do but why the gently caress do people play MTGO over stuff that actually works and doesn't cost you real world money if by chance it does go wrong?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Tracula posted:

I hate to sound like a prick if I do but why the gently caress do people play MTGO over stuff that actually works and doesn't cost you real world money if by chance it does go wrong?

What works and doesn't cost real money?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Pyronic posted:

What works and doesn't cost real money?
Cockatrice, Xmage I think.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Can you tap your lands when you don't have priority?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gensuki posted:

Can you tap your lands when you don't have priority?

No.

neetengie posted:

Cockatrice, Xmage I think.

Cockatrice isn't even close to MTGO. Its just free.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Cockatrice isn't even close to MTGO. Its just free.
It functions pretty well for being free.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tracula posted:

Because it doesn't cost me money, mainly. And I usually only get to play Magic once a week, so it's nice to be able to play and relax when my wife's asleep or after a bad day of work. If something screws up on their end, I report it as soon as the round ends and they refund me within a few hours. Also I found Hearthstone to be incredibly boring, and Cockatrice people are awful.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

neetengie posted:

Every single time I hear about cockatrice its because someone disagrees with how a card is supposed to work, cusses a bunch in chat and quits.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Pyronic posted:

Every single time I hear about cockatrice its because someone disagrees with how a card is supposed to work, cusses a bunch in chat and quits.
Then don't play with retards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Modo has the advantage of being able to play against those people and take their money.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

neetengie posted:

It doesn't even function. If I wanted to play magic with no rules structure I would just proxy on paper.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

It doesn't even function. If I wanted to play magic with no rules structure I would just proxy on paper.
Communication between the two playing are needed to make sure the rules are enforced - it's fine to playtest with, or play Legacy with some friends without spending any cash or if there's no legacy scene in your area. Everything is just manual.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jabor posted:

Modo has the advantage of being able to play against those people and take their money.

for the low low price of "basically the same as paper"

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

I'm currently 8-2 in 2-man matches, with an additional 5 matches that I "lost" (at least 3 of which I was almost guaranteed to win) because of Mindslaver glitches, MTGO crashes/lag, etc. What annoys me more than the fact that a 10-year-old card doesn't actually work is if there's somewhere that the keep track of my record, it looks like I'm not very good when I actually have an amazing record.

I just Mindslaver locked someone playing Jund and attacked myself with Flamespeaker to start clearing his board. Oops! I can't trigger the Flamespeaker. He was good enough to concede at least.

As far as I know, MtGO no longer keeps track of your record or any sort of rating or anything.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mortimer posted:

for the low low price of "basically the same as paper"

But you can MODO at 2 a.m.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

But you can MODO at 2 a.m.

my LGS has FNM draft starting at 11 pm, 2 am is pretty early :smug:

cant wait to sleep deprive myself this weekend though, haven't missed a midnight prerelease in 2 years I'm too old for this :suicide:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Tracula posted:

Drafts five minutes away when I decide I want to play one.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 16, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pyronic posted:

Play with goons, it's a lot more enjoyable that way. I've been playing Tarkir Sealed for the past few days with goons and it's been great.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Sealed and even draft goons: Paul Cheon is suggesting minimum of 18 lands for Khans limited decks. I'm thinking 19 might be the best number just because of how powerful the curves seem to feel with the morphing aspect. Hitting 3 and then 5 mana is really important. Quickest person to those two break points, arguably the best you'll do.

Would anyone push this logic and even claim 20 lands minimum, assuming you open a godly pool or draft multiple bombs? There's also consideration that at least for outlast decks you have plenty of mana sinks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I can't proxy on paper at a moment's notice at 3 in the morning, that's kind of the big advantage of going online for me anyway-- not the rules enforcement

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Korak posted:

Sealed and even draft goons: Paul Cheon is suggesting minimum of 18 lands for Khans limited decks. I'm thinking 19 might be the best number just because of how powerful the curves seem to feel with the morphing aspect. Hitting 3 and then 5 mana is really important. Quickest person to those two break points, arguably the best you'll do.

Would anyone push this logic and even claim 20 lands minimum, assuming you open a godly pool or draft multiple bombs? There's also consideration that at least for outlast decks you have plenty of mana sinks.

I think 18 lands is going to be correct for your sealed decks, but I really don't think this is some kind of slow, durdly format that you need to play more than that.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Korak posted:

Been playing sealed consistently with 17 lands, one flag and generally winning. That usually enough for me to hit land #6 and cover four different colors without draw assistance. The decks themselves seem to largely be a wedge plus one color splash for something nuts.

And seriously, this isn't as slow of a format as you might think. Two drops, when you're consistent with them, completely wreck people who keep trying to play it too slow.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ramos posted:

Been playing sealed consistently with 17 lands, one flag and generally winning. That usually enough for me to hit land #6 and cover four different colors without draw assistance. The decks themselves seem to largely be a wedge plus one color splash for something nuts.

And seriously, this isn't as slow of a format as you might think. Two drops, when you're consistent with them, completely wreck people who keep trying to play it too slow.
Do you have a link to the sealed simulator?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

neetengie posted:

Do you have a link to the sealed simulator?

Here's what I've been using with people. You can do prerelease style or regular.

The other website has been drafts.in, which I'm not so big on, but have played with people regardless.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

Quoting a snippet from a MTGSalvation thread:

This deck has powered out a Turn 2 Cruise (Fetch, Thought Scour, Gitaxian Probe, fetch, Bolt, Cruise), and Turn 4 Cruises are pretty common. I often resolve 2-3 Cruises per game.

I think dig works much better in decks where you need specific cards, and treasure cruise is superior in decks like UWR control where you simply want to refuel your hand after trading 1 for 1 for a long time. It's good enough that I've found it superior to Revelation.
So I'm reading up a bit on how Khans cards might influence Modern and the newest pseudo archtype might be a quasi-counterburn, quasi-delve(dig or treasure) type decks. I mean that does sound pretty incredible to chew through a deck and find exactly 16-20 damage to burn your opponent out with or countering the combo decks.

I'm gonna go out on a crazy limb and say that Dig Through Time gets Storm combo pieces banned by the last Khans set.

Korak fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 16, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I really don't think the 18 land speculation is about format speed or pace: it's about having a lot of things you can do with that mana. Morph really having a sweet spot of five mana activations in the set, Outlast as a good mana sink, Delve inherently expensive. Lands are good (to a point), lands let you play your sweet poo poo. When you have ways to use your mana, 18th source can easily be better than your 23rd spell.

You can be attacking with 5/5 trample on turn 5 in this format with just one common required - if you have that fifth mana.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Korak posted:

I'm gonna go out on a crazy limb and say that Dig Through Time gets Storm combo pieces banned by the last Khans set.

Maybe you're thinking of something altogether different, but I don't think Modern storm as we know it wants to be ruining its Past In Flames just to cast a Dig Through Time.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

quote:

Dig Througo chew through a deck and find exactly 16-20 damage to burn your opponent out with or countering the combo decks.

Dig Through Time won't see play in Storm at all because it ruins your graveyard, so I'm not sure what you mean. On the other hand, I'm going to jam it in my UWR (jeskai :v: ) Delver deck so goddamn fast my head will spin.

I'm actually hoping a Howl of thhe Hoard/Treasure cruise/master the way combo deck becomes a thing in Standard

edit: bbcode is hard :smith:

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Lunsku posted:

I really don't think the 18 land speculation is about format speed or pace: it's about having a lot of things you can do with that mana. Morph really having a sweet spot of five mana activations in the set, Outlast as a good mana sink, Delve inherently expensive. Lands are good (to a point), lands let you play your sweet poo poo. When you have ways to use your mana, 18th source can easily be better than your 23rd spell.

You can be attacking with 5/5 trample on turn 5 in this format with just one common required - if you have that fifth mana.

Most of the things you're talking about are equivalent to saying that you think it's going to be a slow format though. I mean, if your big play is turn 3 play a 2/2, turn 5 unmorph and attack, that's a big creature and all, but it's still a slow-paced game.

In general I think the presence of morph goes a long way to lowering the mana curve as well, since it means it's not as big a deal to get stuck on 3.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Out of curiosity, what does ordering a bunch of Magic cards online actually entail for the people who work there? I'm curious because I just ordered 1 of each different art for every Goblin and Soldier token ever, and I'm wondering if there's a shipping worker somewhere who's going to send some death threats. Do they have an automated system, or does some guy have to go through a pile of boxes to fulfill my stupid request?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Out of curiosity, what does ordering a bunch of Magic cards online actually entail for the people who work there? I'm curious because I just ordered 1 of each different art for every Goblin and Soldier token ever, and I'm wondering if there's a shipping worker somewhere who's going to send some death threats. Do they have an automated system, or does some guy have to go through a pile of boxes to fulfill my stupid request?
I'm guessing that all singles are organized in those long rectangular boxes by set and alphabetically, so if they do that it should be no problem.
They probably don't so do it anyways to see what the results are.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

JerryLee posted:

Maybe you're thinking of something altogether different, but I don't think Modern storm as we know it wants to be ruining its Past In Flames just to cast a Dig Through Time.

Perhaps this would give the Epic Experiment version that is floating around a chance to shine?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

My LGS does online orders and I've seen the guys put them together. They have a bunch of large cardboard boxes with old sets sorted and then the newer sets on display inside glass counters and the two guys go through the orders and pull cards out and set them on the printed receipt that is set out on said counter. They stick the cards in a protecter, wrap the protecter in the receipt and stick that in an envelope that has the buyer printed on it. They are definitely not the size of SCG, though I suspect the process is similar.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Attorney at Funk posted:

The Door to Nothingness deck was at its best when RTR was in Standard but before Gatecrash was released. People were gaining absurd amounts of life off of Thragtusk and Restoration Angel and Sphinx's Revelation if you couldn't kill those Bant decks by turn 4 you were in for some very, very long games. It still wasn't particularly good but it went over the top of basically everything.

Seconding my love for this deck. Axebane Guardians, Fog Banks and Test Subjects out the Wazoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but in addition to Bloodsoaked Champion there's also Timely Hordemate for the "Reanimation on Raid" thing we were talking about.

• Locked thread