Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

randyest posted:

Unless I misunderstand you that's built into the OS. Settings -> Notification Center -> select the app and disable alerts / shot in notification center.

I mean I don't want to be able to pull up the control center panel while in certain apps (games).

Kheldarn posted:

I think Central Hider does what you want.

Thanks, will look into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is there any new way (or best way) to save all of my cydia sources/packages/tweaks? My battery has been taking a major poo poo over the past two weeks and I want to restore.

This is actually my 2nd battery that Apple has replaced, and it's only about 6 months old (iPhone 5 and I already got a refund for the battery replacement deal they announced).

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Is there any new way (or best way) to save all of my cydia sources/packages/tweaks? My battery has been taking a major poo poo over the past two weeks and I want to restore.

This is actually my 2nd battery that Apple has replaced, and it's only about 6 months old (iPhone 5 and I already got a refund for the battery replacement deal they announced).
I use AppInfo to mail myself a list of repos and packages. OpenBackup used to work for saving and restoring JB apps but I don't think it's updated for IOS7. It didn't work when I tried it recently, at least.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I've never had anything actually work for that. I just screen shot all my packages then reinstall what I want

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Thanks all, I have used AppInfo before but I forgot the name. Guess it is better than nothing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any tweak that will allow me to set some sort of battery saving profile?

Basically I want to set up my phone in such a way that when the profile is enabled, the only thing accessing the internet is whatever app I have open + maybe Whatsapp.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
ignore me: everything went smoothly, I am now part of the flux club on iPad. About drat time, if I knew it was this easy I would of done it a while ago.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 9, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If anyone has that issue where the cellular settings for individual apps stops saving after you toggle them off, going into the terminal and deleting /var/wireless/Library/Databases/CellularUsage.db and rebooting your phone should force it to regenerate that file and stop being terrible.

A related question, are there any tweaks that would suppress the "Your cellular data is turned off" popup when I open up apps when I'm not on wifi? I leave my 3g off for most apps because I have a pay for what I use data plan and that popup comes up every time I open an app that's toggled to not use cellular data. I haven't been able to find anything that could do that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If anyone has that issue where the cellular settings for individual apps stops saving after you toggle them off, going into the terminal and deleting /var/wireless/Library/Databases/CellularUsage.db and rebooting your phone should force it to regenerate that file and stop being terrible.

A related question, are there any tweaks that would suppress the "Your cellular data is turned off" popup when I open up apps when I'm not on wifi? I leave my 3g off for most apps because I have a pay for what I use data plan and that popup comes up every time I open an app that's toggled to not use cellular data. I haven't been able to find anything that could do that.

I remember there being a tweak that disabled the "Enable Wi-Fi to get better location data" messages. That might do the trick. I can't remember the name, though, sorry.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have Veency installed on my phone and I'm using TightVNC viewer but even with encoding set to Raw and a good wi-fi connection on an unsaturated network, it still refreshes the screen really slowly.

Is there any other VNC client that will work better, or is this a limitation on Veency/the VNC protocol?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I remember there being a tweak that disabled the "Enable Wi-Fi to get better location data" messages. That might do the trick. I can't remember the name, though, sorry.

NoAnnoyance? something like that

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yes, you want NoAnnoyance but you'll need to get it from the pNre repo, which is repo.pnre.co.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
what's the best (only?) way to un-jailbreak yer phone? iTunes restore?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yep.

noseparade
Jun 8, 2005
quick question about jailbreaking and unlocking: i'm going to be in turkey for a couple months soon, is there a resource to figure out whether i can get my phone working there? I have heard that jailbreaking my phone (an ATT iphone 5s) will unlock it as well, but then there is this whole thing about bands that different countries use that I don't understand.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

noseparade posted:

quick question about jailbreaking and unlocking: i'm going to be in turkey for a couple months soon, is there a resource to figure out whether i can get my phone working there? I have heard that jailbreaking my phone (an ATT iphone 5s) will unlock it as well, but then there is this whole thing about bands that different countries use that I don't understand.

Jailbreaking your phone will not unlock it. Submit a request through AT&T's online unlocking page and pray they allow it. Are you still on contract? I'm guessing probably since it's a 5S. If you can't get it done through AT&T you will just need to find an unlocked GSM phone to take with you to Turkey.

Once unlocked all you will need to do is stop in a Vodafone store (there are tons if you'll be in the city) and pick up a SIM card to put in your unlocked phone.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
There are still unlocking services on eBay, though my understanding is that it takes longer to process these days.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ibntumart posted:

There are still unlocking services on eBay, though my understanding is that it takes longer to process these days.

Wow they are back and are reasonably priced too. Looks like you can get it done for around $15-$20 and it's a 3-7 day wait.

noseparade
Jun 8, 2005
i'll do that then! no problem paying 20 bucks

but i'm still confused about the GSM band thing... how can i ensure that my ATT phone will work in Turkey?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

noseparade posted:

i'll do that then! no problem paying 20 bucks

but i'm still confused about the GSM band thing... how can i ensure that my ATT phone will work in Turkey?

The current eBay sellers are a lot more nuanced than the old unlocking services. I urge you to submit an unlock request from AT&T first because they seem to be more lax with allowing them lately. I submitted one last month for my current phone, still in contract at that point, and they approved it.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

The worst they can do is send you a reject email.

Your AT&T phone, if unlocked, will work just fine in Turkey with a local SIM card bought there.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh I didn't realize the eBay unlocks were back

Did they unlock your under contract iPhone? From what I understand AT&T and pretty much any carrier will never unlock an under contract iPhone.

But yeah once it's unlocked you literally just put the sim car in and you're good

Is there even a jailbreak unlock anymore? I remember there always used to be one updated on some repo but now that AT&T unlocks them after your contract I guess there's not as much of a demand

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 15, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Christoff posted:

Oh I didn't realize the eBay unlocks were back

Did they unlock your under contract iPhone? From what I understand AT&T and pretty much any carrier will never unlock an under contract iPhone.

Yep, but it could be judged on a case by case basis, I'm not really sure how each one is reviewed. I've bought a couple iPhones off Craigslist that were never on my account and they've unlocked those for me as well, in addition to past iPhones of mine. I've been a customer since the late 90s of Cingular/AT&T so I'm not sure if that plays into it or not.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

iOS 8 is coming out in about a day.

So if you're not up to date and jailbroken and you want to be, do it now.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

BrainDance posted:

iOS 8 is coming out in about a day.

So if you're not up to date and jailbroken and you want to be, do it now.

Chaining off of that, I'm pretty sure you need to do an iTunes restore to complete a phone unlock, so that ship might have sailed already (unless and until an iOS 8 jailbreak comes out).

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

ibntumart posted:

Chaining off of that, I'm pretty sure you need to do an iTunes restore to complete a phone unlock, so that ship might have sailed already (unless and until an iOS 8 jailbreak comes out).

An ILEXRAT restore will keep your jailbreak (and Cydia) while restoring everything else so it'll trigger the phone unlock. I used it to restore my phone and it worked perfectly, but it was on an older iOS 7 firmware (7.0.4?).

noseparade
Jun 8, 2005
well great I sent a request to ATT and they approved my phone for unlock

cant wait to show ISIS my new iphone

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

noseparade posted:

well great I sent a request to ATT and they approved my phone for unlock

cant wait to show ISIS my new iphone

AT&T denied my request today because my contract isn't technically over until midnight tonight. I'm sure I didn't sign up in store at midnight...

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

IncendiaC posted:

An ILEXRAT restore will keep your jailbreak (and Cydia) while restoring everything else so it'll trigger the phone unlock. I used it to restore my phone and it worked perfectly, but it was on an older iOS 7 firmware (7.0.4?).

I have ILEXRAT, too, but have never had to use it. Did you have to connect to iTunes during the process?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can also use SAM from Cydia.

In SAM I deactivated, then reactivated my phone and the unlock "took effect" after that. I didn't have to mess with any settings and the next time I tried a SIM from another carrier it worked. This was on a iPhone 5, IOS 6.1.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

ibntumart posted:

I have ILEXRAT, too, but have never had to use it. Did you have to connect to iTunes during the process?

It's been more than 6 months since I last used it, but I don't think an iTunes connection was necessary for the restore process. I did connect it to iTunes afterwards (when the phone was in 'factory set-up' phase) in order to use an iTunes backup though.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I didn't think you could restore from a backup without letting Apple push the latest iOS update onto your device.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does anyone know if the signing window is still open on the last version of iOS7 before I waste my time waiting on an IPSW?

My unlock was finally approved and I have to restore for it to take effect. I figure I may as well try for 7 in the slim hope that "jailbreakable" is still a selling point.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Does anyone know if the signing window is still open on the last version of iOS7 before I waste my time waiting on an IPSW?

My unlock was finally approved and I have to restore for it to take effect. I figure I may as well try for 7 in the slim hope that "jailbreakable" is still a selling point.

As of this moment Apple seems to be signing 7.1.2 still.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think above someone mentioned ilexrat will trigger the unlock when you restore using it

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spongeworthy posted:

As of this moment Apple seems to be signing 7.1.2 still.

I just restored using a 7.1.2 ispw to fix issues I was having with a new 5s and lte. Apple still signing

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This fucker jailbroken yet?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

This fucker jailbroken yet?

It's gonna be a long wait most likely.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

spongeworthy posted:

It's gonna be a long wait most likely.

Pangu have said that they're working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There are so many announced features not turned on yet in iOS8, it would be a shame if anyone wasted a jailbreak without waiting for an update.

• Locked thread