Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.

"I turned out OK! I have no problem with beating a small child with electrical cords and Hot Wheel tracks, apparently, but that's totally normal, I swear!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Prof. Moriarty posted:

"I turned out OK! I have no problem with beating a small child with electrical cords and Hot Wheel tracks, apparently, but that's totally normal, I swear!"

I was not beaten by my father to the point of requiring medical attention when I was 4 years old.
That must be why I turned out so weird. :sigh:

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Prof. Moriarty posted:

Like, I am just baffled by these people tripping over themselves to bemoan a world where men can't indiscriminately beat their wives and children. Who are these people? I know people defend gettin' whoopin's and puttin' bitches in their place in the general sense all the time, but why in connection to actual cases of actual abuse?? :smith:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
It's because they were beaten as children, and the mental and emotional scars that has left on them can potentially drive them to inflict suffering or desire to see suffering inflicted on others due to a broken sense of what is normal.

Or they're something even more twisted, but those are pretty rare.

Or they're trying to be edgy, that one's depressingly common.

I Killed GBS has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Sep 16, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Good Citizen posted:

Man creepy dudes just love talking about how they eat pussy like it's something special.

It's the sex version of this:

And how Nice Guys have to lecture others about how nice they are rather than just being a good person without demanding confirmation or rewards.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Maybe it just detects that the text is not in your preferred language rather than checking whether or not it's possible to translate.

I imagine that's what it does but it seems to do it at random. Only maybe a quarter of the non-English posts get the translation button option.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

It's because they were beaten as children, and the mental and emotional scars that has left on them can potentially drive them to inflict suffering or desire to see suffering inflicted on others due to a broken sense of what is normal.

Man, I used to think I was mostly okay mentally but now I kinda saddened that my thinking that 'give your kid a spanking if he/she goes around tearing stuff up in your house or a store' is a a side effect of having it happen to me. :smith:

Double Plus Good posted:

Like, I am just baffled by these people tripping over themselves to bemoan a world where men can't indiscriminately beat their wives and children. Who are these people? I know people defend gettin' whoopin's and puttin' bitches in their place in the general sense all the time, but why in connection to actual cases of actual abuse?? :smith:

:wtc: Wives?! Kids were the only ones I knew about this happening to but wives?! What the actual gently caress?!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RareAcumen posted:

:wtc: Wives?! Kids were the only ones I knew about this happening to but wives?! What the actual gently caress?!

It's relatively new concept to not hit your wife when she doesn't do what you say actually. Traditionally, the man's role in a family was meant to be the one who disciplines his wife and kids, with all the awfulness that implies.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Does the military just let stuff like this happen? I can't imagine he'd get away with that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

All that does is scream to me "See, it WAS totally all about Western imperialism!"

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

kith_groupie posted:

Does the military just let stuff like this happen? I can't imagine he'd get away with that.

The people who are proud of this man are the same people who will be crying about a "War On Christmas" in a couple months.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What an rear end in a top hat.

Azan was already loud enough, he didn't have to make it even more difficult to sleep through.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I used to think I was mostly okay mentally but now I kinda saddened that my thinking that 'give your kid a spanking if he/she goes around tearing stuff up in your house or a store' is a a side effect of having it happen to me. :smith:
I'm not sure if you're being serious, but if you are, you really shouldn't take what people say here as a reliable barometer of anything. Spanking children for misbehavior is a broadly accepted practice.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

kith_groupie posted:

Given that the dude seems to have a beard I have my doubts as to whether he's a US soldier. Generally the people who are allowed to have beards are also people who would know better than to do dumb poo poo like that. Of course he could have a medical reason not to shave but that's pretty rare.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Not idiotic in the good ol' sexist, racist, nationalist, etc way, but I saw this comment while listening to Ween's Spinal Meningitis on Youtube. First off, love the dude's screen name. The craziness in the post is wonderful, along with the fact that it's, you know, posted about Spinal Meningitis by Ween. Apparently all the people that died from crucifixion were somehow able to pass on that memory through... somehow, I guess. Also love the guy replying as if it's not a crazy load.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

kith_groupie posted:

Anti-war protest, western imperialism, bible thumpers, Jimi's hellscape, something about irony, gently caress it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RareAcumen posted:

I get the impression that a lot of these people haven't bothered to actually read any of the details of the case, so they honestly think the NFL is sidelining this guy because he spanked his kid in any form. When the reality of course is that he beat the kid with a switch hard enough to cause extensive wounds that needed medical care. Meanwhile they probably think he hit the kid on the butt once with his hand and the :byodood: PC POLICE :byodood: swooped in. Not that either scenario is all that great.

And yes, there do seem to be people who think that beating your wife is not only good but part of a good marriage since you know, women are basically like children in their minds. Even people who don't think like this didn't seem to have much of a problem with the whole thing (or tried to rationalize it) until they actually saw video footage of what it looks like when a guy knocks his wife out.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

kith_groupie posted:

Looks to me like he's just Going America All Over Everybody's Asses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1RbBHMeX80

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Anti-war protest, western imperialism, bible thumpers, Jimi's hellscape, something about irony, gently caress it.

Well Jimi himself described it as being a "Go America!" thing, it was mostly conservatives of the time who interpreted it as some kind of protest. But on the other hand he was discharged from the military for unsuitability like this guy probably should be (if he even is military).

Also he should have incorporated pork in some way so the vampires Muslims would be reduced to ash instantly upon hearing the song.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

I'm not sure if you're being serious, but if you are, you really shouldn't take what people say here as a reliable barometer of anything. Spanking children for misbehavior is a broadly accepted practice.

It's widely accepted, but mainly because people are ignorant of the effects, the APA strongly reccomends against it because of the psychological harm it causes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kimmalah posted:

I get the impression that a lot of these people haven't bothered to actually read any of the details of the case, so they honestly think the NFL is sidelining this guy because he spanked his kid in any form. When the reality of course is that he beat the kid with a switch hard enough to cause extensive wounds that needed medical care. Meanwhile they probably think he hit the kid on the butt once with his hand and the :byodood: PC POLICE :byodood: swooped in. Not that either scenario is all that great.

Yup. They aren't reading the story at all, they just see spanking and get all indignant about it. Not only did he hit him hard enough, multiple times, to cause open wounds on the kid, the switch he used also wrapped around and hit the kid in the balls. He also texted his ex-wife about it.

quote:

The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child's back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child's hands. Peterson then texted the boy's mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her "mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch."

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child's mother that he "felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh" and also acknowledged the injury to the child's scrotum in a text message, saying, "Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I'm all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!"

In further text messages, Peterson allegedly said, "Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don't play no games when it comes to acting right."

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that "Daddy Peterson hit me on my face." The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that "there are a lot of belts in Daddy's closet." He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson "likes belts and switches" and "has a whooping room."

Like goddamn. It's one thing to act all defensive when your are criticized for spanking your kid cause you're too stupid to outsmart your 5 year old, but come the gently caress on! That is clearly child abuse!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Kimmalah posted:

Well Jimi himself described it as being a "Go America!" thing, it was mostly conservatives of the time who interpreted it as some kind of protest. But on the other hand he was discharged from the military for unsuitability like this guy probably should be (if he even is military).

Also he should have incorporated pork in some way so the vampires Muslims would be reduced to ash instantly upon hearing the song.

If anything comes out of this ridiculous arms race of shouting over Muslims, it's the Van Helsing-like array of bullshit weapons they think is going to something kill Islam off.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Yup. They aren't reading the story at all, they just see spanking and get all indignant about it. Not only did he hit him hard enough, multiple times, to cause open wounds on the kid, the switch he used also wrapped around and hit the kid in the balls. He also texted his ex-wife about it.

Like goddamn. It's one thing to act all defensive when your are criticized for spanking your kid cause you're too stupid to outsmart your 5 year old, but come the gently caress on! That is clearly child abuse!

Sad thing is it only got reported by the doctor. :stare:

I'm sure there will be people in favor of this too though. I know when I was a kid I used to know older people who would talk about being beaten with switches (and the mental punishment of having to find and cut the switch) like it was the reason for their success in life or something.

robotsinmyhead posted:

If anything comes out of this ridiculous arms race of shouting over Muslims, it's the Van Helsing-like array of bullshit weapons they think is going to something kill Islam off.

It kind of makes me wish Christians had more stuff like the halal thing so Muslims could spread the same stupid rumors as the pork stuff. I would say meat on Fridays or something, but really conservative Protestants don't usually think Catholics are real Christians and there was Vatican II so :shrug:

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Sep 16, 2014

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Kimmalah posted:

It kind of makes me wish Christians had more stuff like the halal thing so Muslims could spread the same stupid rumors as the pork stuff. I would say meat on Fridays or something, but really conservative Protestants don't usually think Catholics are real Christians and there was Vatican II so :shrug:

^This is also one of the stupid conservative assumptions: Most Catholics only don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent, which is only 40 days out of the year, so like, tops 5 or 6 days a year. And mostly you forget and shrug and go "whatevs". Yes, there are some hardcore super Catholics that don't do the Vatican II stuff, like they still only speak Latin at services, and women still wear veils during church, but this is such a small proportions of Catholics it's very negligible. Which brings me to my point-they presume all Muslims are hardcore super Muslims that would be ENRAGED by something stupid like burying a pig or whatever dumb gris-gris these conservative fucks think will melt their skin off like the Nazis opening the Ark. However, most Muslims are like most Catholics, or really any other large, mainstream religion, in that they don't go out of their way to break their own rules, but if some other rear end in a top hat does it for them to make some rear end in a top hat point, they don't really care aside from the initial "what a dick" reaction.

I guess the point of this is to go "Americaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" but seriously, any tiny little bit of thought just makes the guy look like an rear end in a top hat in either case. Either he's an rear end in a top hat because he riles up the angry horde of super Muslims and they carbomb the base and he gets people killed (unlikely) or he's an rear end in a top hat because he is dicking about with the religion of the locals, who are just trying to go about their business.

I suppose that's why I posted it. I get a lot of idiots on my Facebook as well, but this one really stood out because it is, quite possibly, the stupidest bit of nationalist dick waggling that I've ever seen.

Ralph Crammed In has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Sep 16, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's relatively new concept to not hit your wife when she doesn't do what you say actually. Traditionally, the man's role in a family was meant to be the one who disciplines his wife and kids, with all the awfulness that implies.

:psyduck: I don't believe this poo poo. My experiences with this has always been watching sitcoms from the 2000's where the mom says: 'Just wait until your father gets home.' This is unbelievable.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Soviet Commubot posted:

Given that the dude seems to have a beard I have my doubts as to whether he's a US soldier. Generally the people who are allowed to have beards are also people who would know better than to do dumb poo poo like that. Of course he could have a medical reason not to shave but that's pretty rare.
This might be totally, totally wrong, but hasn't there been some sort of exemption to the normal uniform rules re beards while fighting in the middle east? I remember reading an article on Al Jazeera that the a lot of the locals have a hard time taking clean-shaven men seriously and it was having some effect on reconstruction efforts, so some organisations have loosened up their uniform regs to let their men be bearded. Not sure if that included the Americans though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Well to be fair, most of the people talking about Muslim-banishing-postions are inventing a straw-Muslim that is fanatical enough over their religion to launch a suicide attack on them for being a non-Muslim.

I'm not saying they're correct, I'm saying that even if they knew what you were saying was true, it wouldn't stop them from coming up with more stupid/Islamophobic poo poo.

RareAcumen posted:

:psyduck: I don't believe this poo poo. My experiences with this has always been watching sitcoms from the 2000's where the mom says: 'Just wait until your father gets home.' This is unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E1weruUCeg

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

This might be totally, totally wrong, but hasn't there been some sort of exemption to the normal uniform rules re beards while fighting in the middle east? I remember reading an article on Al Jazeera that the a lot of the locals have a hard time taking clean-shaven men seriously and it was having some effect on reconstruction efforts, so some organisations have loosened up their uniform regs to let their men be bearded. Not sure if that included the Americans though.

In my experiences, not unless you're SF -or- way out in some remote COP where not getting overrun takes priority over policing mooustaches.

What's shittier is those poor fucks that get stuck in remote places often come back to bigger bases for re-supply or whatever, and some dickhead with rank comes up to them and gives them a ration of poo poo because they equate authoritarianism with leadership.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Sep 16, 2014

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Leofish posted:

So hey, I'm Canadian, and this was shared today by another Canadian on my Facebook... Is this a thing? Don't they already sing the national anthem before sporting events?

Also, that is one huge-rear end flag.

I posted that earlier in the thread and yes here in the states the national anthem is done before ALL sporing events. Whoever made this has never watched sports in their life.

New content: far too early for this poo poo to be posted(I'm not the one who commented):

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Leofish posted:

So hey, I'm Canadian, and this was shared today by another Canadian on my Facebook... Is this a thing? Don't they already sing the national anthem before sporting events?

Also, that is one huge-rear end flag.

At least in international competitions, every country in the world does that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They even do it in Canada already

quote:

The NHL requires arenas to perform both the Canadian and American national anthems at games that involve teams from both countries.[33] One American team, the Buffalo Sabres, goes a step further and performs both anthems before every game as a nod to Buffalo's location near the Canadian border and the team's substantial number of Canadian fans.[29] Major League Baseball teams have played the song at games involving the Toronto Blue Jays and the former Montreal Expos,[34] and National Basketball Association teams do so for games involving the Toronto Raptors, and previously, the Vancouver Grizzlies. Major League Soccer has the anthem performed at league and Amway Canadian Championship matches involving Toronto FC, Montreal Impact, and Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think the point of that image is that imaginary PC liberals want to ban the national anthem so you must share to show you disagree with them.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm not going to trot out anybody. I'm going to say that #notyourshield has proven that people behind #gamergate are as diverse as the colors in skittles. I've seen white people, black people, hispanic people, slavic people, asian people, indian people, males, females, non-binary gender people, straight people, gay people, bisexual people... Meanwhile the gaming journalism sphere is comprised of 85% white males.

Stating that somebody is a "token minority" or an "uncle tom" for disagreeing with you is erasing their agency. These people are perfectly capable of thinking on their own. Stating that "they're just ~*~internalizing bigotry~*~" for not falling in line with what the Social Justice Krew states is correct thought is stating that they're incapable of forming their own thoughts or defending themselves, damsels in distress (whoa see what I did there?) that need rescuing by saviors, usually weird suburban white kids. Whoa talk about a white savior complex.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Yes because FDNY likes to hang around Times Square in cool shirts and caps to talk to random Legitimate Reporters about 9/11.

He's wearing a FDNY hat and shirt, you can trust him.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think the point of that image is that imaginary PC liberals want to ban the national anthem so you must share to show you disagree with them.

I think the point of the image is actually to get likes by posting something few people disagree with and telling them to like if they don't disagree.

People give way too much of a poo poo about fake internet points.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

kazil posted:

People give way too much of a poo poo about fake internet points.

And there is the reason why reddit exists.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

RareAcumen posted:

...how old are you? Are you like 10?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kraps posted:

He's wearing a FDNY hat and shirt, you can trust him.

Actually he's wearing generic "Fire Dept" poo poo. That's the kind of stuff washouts and Ricky Rescues wear. Anyone who wears that poo poo needs anything they say to be immediately disregarded.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

swampland posted:

...how old are you? Are you like 10?

Someone should beat some sense into him!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Looked it up so y'all don't have to

quote:

A Ricky Rescue is similar to a "Wacker." It is a person who works in EMS (EMT, Firefighter, Paramedic) and gets waaaaay too excited for every single little call. On weak rear end calls such as bullshit anxiety they are in there with oxygen and trauma sheers in hand. These people usually have the stickers on their truck, carry scanners and listen to them on and off duty, always wear those annoying shirts, and cannot run an assesment to save their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.facebook.com/cracked/posts/10150456461014949

Fresh 'tism

• Locked thread