Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ijyt posted:

So the only thing that NFC can be used for is APay because reasons. There go my hopes of using it as an emergency Oyster card.

Has it even been confirmed anywhere other than the US or is it another iTunes Radio where you can't use it if you're holding it wrong in the wrong country.
Oyster payments would be so crazy awesome, here's hoping that something like that gets worked out at some stage in the future.

At this stage, I've given up on iTunes Radio being a thing, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

hotsauce posted:

I realize everyone feels that Apple will gallop in on its horse and fix the nightmare that is NFC overnight but it will still take many years to improve retailer adoption...especially small businesses.

Bringing in the masses will help, but it will still take years before NFC payments will be a commonly accepted thing.

Prepare for janky until 2017+... You will see.

Oh, I definitely get that, but look at the contrast between when Android implemented NFC in most flagship devices and what Apple is managing to do with just the newest iPhone.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

Oyster payments would be so crazy awesome, here's hoping that something like that gets worked out at some stage in the future.

Oyster is accepting contactless payment with debit cards, so what's to stop them accepting NFC payment from an iPhone?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hotsauce posted:

I realize everyone feels that Apple will gallop in on its horse and fix the nightmare that is <thing>

I don't really feel like apple is the innovation powerhouse it once was, and the iPhone 6 is a definite shift to following the market rather than leading it. I wasn't sold on wearables before the apple watch announcement, and I'm still not now.

I still enjoy their products more than any others, but yeah Tim cook is not the same as jobs when it comes to running the company and providing guidance and inspiration to their engineers and designers.

Then again I don't even know where the mobile market can go beyond where phones are today, I guess most modern features will be more software based than anything hardware wise outside if thinner/lighter/more power/longer battery life.

I don't think Steve would have launched the watch, it seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, and I find it amusing that Samsung essentially beat apple to market based on a rumour of an iwatch which now apple is launching to keep up with Samsung.

Maybe when battery tech improves and it's not yet another device I have to charge every night I will see the use in it, but for now it's just the first sign that we are in the post-Steve era of apple.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

hotsauce posted:

I realize everyone feels that Apple will gallop in on its horse and fix the nightmare that is NFC overnight but it will still take many years to improve retailer adoption...especially small businesses.

Bringing in the masses will help, but it will still take years before NFC payments will be a commonly accepted thing.

Prepare for janky until 2017+... You will see.

They don't need to convince small businesses. They've already convinced the banks.

See, it works like this:

Business says to Bank ’what are your rates for credit and debit cards you can offer?'
Bank says we'll charge you X and Y to swipe credit and debit cards. We also have NFC rates that are X+1 and Y+1, because current NFC standards are not very secure.
Business says ok, we'll do the credit and debit swipe thing, but forget NFC.

Fast forward to today, Bank says 'We have this new NFC that is secure. We can offer you the same X and Y rates as before, and we'll even offer to give you a good deal to upgrade your card swipe terminals to new NFC-enabled ones.
Business says ok, same rates, easier for people to pay. More secure than before. New card machines for cheap or free. Let's do this!

And that's how Apple pushes along NFC adoption.

Plus, American Express has already been paving the road with their Isis payment system, which is basically NFC with a secure element, like Apple Pay is. The difference is, Isis pay only lets you use Amex cards to pay, and businesses don't like to accept Amex because the fees are higher than Visa and MasterCard, which is why some businesses have refused to adopt NFC thus far.

Give it 6 months and Apple Pay will be accepted everywhere Isis pay is. Give it 6 months after that and no banks will loan card access terminals that are not NFC equipped. All the while Apple will laugh all the way to the bank with the tiny cut from each transaction they've made, knowing well that it was never the businesses that needed to be convinced. But the banks that allow the businesses to stay in business.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 16, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
And that, my friends, is the definition of innovation.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I could have sworn they mentioned something about Starwood hotels using the NFC for room keys in the future during the launch keynote.

So maybe it's just the software to deal with NFC is not stable on their end and they're restricting it to trusted partners for the time being.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

I could have sworn they mentioned something about Starwood hotels using the NFC for room keys in the future during the launch keynote.

So maybe it's just the software to deal with NFC is not stable on their end and they're restricting it to trusted partners for the time being.

They did say you could use it to open a hotel room. I can't remember which chain though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It was Starwood.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

noirstronaut posted:

Apple's version of revolutionary just means incorporating tech that other people have tried to incorporate but have been unsuccessful at making it popular, i.e. NFC.

Yup, like RAM.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Non iPhone 6 question: how does Apple handle warranties on replacement units? I had my out of warranty iPhone 5 replaced about 2 months ago (swollen battery). The replacement unit had been working perfectly until last night when some of the screen's touch sensor decided to die. There's an area, about the top fifth of the screen, that simply does whatever the gently caress it wants. Here's a dumb example of the only way I can show it using Notability

That was just one swipe from the starting point heading left (landscape, top of screen). Once I hit that zone it just goes crazy.

I guess my question is if hardware issues like this are covered or will I have to pay for a replacement?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 16, 2014

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The replacement unit has something like a 3 month warranty IIRC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Athletic Footjob posted:

The replacement unit has something like a 3 month warranty IIRC.
Yeah. You can just punch its serial number into the Applecare site to be sure, but it should still be covered.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bobfather posted:

Give it 6 months and Apple Pay will be accepted everywhere Isis pay is. Give it 6 months after that and no banks will loan card access terminals that are not NFC equipped. All the while Apple will laugh all the way to the bank with the tiny cut from each transaction they've made, knowing well that it was never the businesses that needed to be convinced. But the banks that allow the businesses to stay in business.

See also: iTunes

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
Sorry if this is a dumb question or not the right place, but I'm going from a Galaxy S4 to the new iphone 6. It's been a while since I've activated a new iPhone -- you activate it first, then plug it into iTunes to restore from a backup, correct? It's only been a year since I've had my old iPhone, so the backup is (relatively) recent. Is there a problem with this idea?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you want to restore an old iPhone backup to your new iPhone, that's the way to go, but you won't get the Galaxy stuff on your new iPhone unless it's stored on a server or your computer.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

electricHyena posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question or not the right place, but I'm going from a Galaxy S4 to the new iphone 6. It's been a while since I've activated a new iPhone -- you activate it first, then plug it into iTunes to restore from a backup, correct? It's only been a year since I've had my old iPhone, so the backup is (relatively) recent. Is there a problem with this idea?

You don't need to use iTunes at all anymore, if you backup-ed to iCloud as well.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again

Zwille posted:

If you want to restore an old iPhone backup to your new iPhone, that's the way to go, but you won't get the Galaxy stuff on your new iPhone unless it's stored on a server or your computer.

Yeah, there's not too much on there I'm worried about, it's all in dropbox, and I'll just manually add new contacts. Thanks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

electricHyena posted:

Yeah, there's not too much on there I'm worried about, it's all in dropbox, and I'll just manually add new contacts. Thanks
Just connect your Google account.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any word or chance that the 6+ will be able to run iPad apps? I am considering ditching the iphone/ipad mini combo in favor of just one device but I do use a lot of iPad only apps. I don't see why it couldn't, spec wise, and it would be a nice perk for those that purchase the premium model (like some of the other features the 6+ has).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No, but the developers might consider a version for it. The new autolayout/resizeable app size means apps are going to be a lot more fluid in what devices they run on and how they look. The big difference isn't screen size, it's aspect ratio.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So it's up to the devs huh? Likely they'll stay phone/pad exclusive if they're not already universal, more $$$ that way. That's all fine and good, but a lot of the apps I use are iPad only, with no phone version, which is what sucks.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Laserface posted:

I don't think Steve would have launched the watch, it seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, and I find it amusing that Samsung essentially beat apple to market based on a rumour of an iwatch which now apple is launching to keep up with Samsung.

I don't really agree with this -- the watch has clearly been in development for years, they're not launching it to "keep up with Samsung". They have a clear strategy for the watch and I think that it's going to be a pretty big success, especially as they iterate on it like they have with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad. People seem to have a skewed sense of how products are made, as if anything released after one product hits the market is a "response" to it.

When I read impressions about the watch from "watch people", one thing they've said Apple got right is the fit, finish, and physical details, beating out other watches at similar price points. I feel like that's one thing you've absolutely got to nail in a product that's going to be called a watch, and something every other competitor has failed to deliver.

It's also the one area Apple consistently has no other equal in -- no one has yet been able to match the level of fit and finish Apple puts into the iPhone. Once the watch hits stores and people can actually see what they're like in person, I don't think the current competition (the moto 360 or whatever samsungs latest iteration is) will look too good in comparison.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 16, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The watch is a hard sell without having actual product to physically inspect and a dynamite usage case right away. It's kinda like the original iPad. Yeah, it's a large iPhone but it was a fundamentally different experience in everyday usage.

As it currently stands, the watch is an iPod Nano with a wristband and some extra sensors. But it could be a lot more.

DarkJC is right in that it's all about the iteration on it. More styles, more functions, more interconnections with Apple's other devices/services, and better internals. But all that is predicated on Apple committing to it as a platform.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DarkJC posted:

I don't really agree with this -- the watch has clearly been in development for years, they're not launching it to "keep up with Samsung". They have a clear strategy for the watch and I think that it's going to be a pretty big success, especially as they iterate on it like they have with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad. People seem to have a skewed sense of how products are made, as if anything released after one product hits the market is a "response" to it.

When I read impressions about the watch from "watch people", one thing they've said Apple got right is the fit, finish, and physical details, beating out other watches at similar price points. I feel like that's one thing you've absolutely got to nail in a product that's going to be called a watch, and something every other competitor has failed to deliver.

It's also the one area Apple consistently has no other equal in -- no one has yet been able to match the level of fit and finish Apple puts into the iPhone. Once the watch hits stores and people can actually see what they're like in person, I don't think the current competition (the moto 360 or whatever samsungs latest iteration is) will look too good in comparison.

The problem is it's not a watch, it's an accessory to an iphone. There's a difference.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

vyst posted:

The problem is it's not a watch, it's an accessory to an iphone. There's a difference.

They've stated repeatedly that the watch retains some functionality without being around an iPhone.

Cook said on Charlie Rose that you can (for example) stick music on it and listen via bluetooth while going on a run without lugging the phone with you (and the watch will keep tracking of your fitness stats in the meanwhile).

Also, Apple's releasing an API and seems to be handling the Watch in the same way they handled the iPhone once they realized the value of third party apps: Make a platform that looks good and works well at the basics, has smoothly working hardware (and fitness sensors in this case) and let third party developers come up with the killer apps. I have much higher hopes of the Apple Watch turning into a useful gadget than I do for Android Wear because the later has been around for a few months and still basically only functions like a notification proxy for your phone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

shodanjr_gr posted:

They've stated repeatedly that the watch retains some functionality without being around an iPhone.

Cook said on Charlie Rose that you can (for example) stick music on it and listen via bluetooth while going on a run without lugging the phone with you (and the watch will keep tracking of your fitness stats in the meanwhile).

Also, Apple's releasing an API and seems to be handling the Watch in the same way they handled the iPhone once they realized the value of third party apps: Make a platform that looks good and works well at the basics, has smoothly working hardware (and fitness sensors in this case) and let third party developers come up with the killer apps. I have much higher hopes of the Apple Watch turning into a useful gadget than I do for Android Wear because the later has been around for a few months and still basically only functions like a notification proxy for your phone.
Didn't they say during the keynote that the watch would require an iPhone to function?

I mean if it actually doesn't and still retains functionality without the phone, that's cool. I still don't want one though.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Non iPhone 6 question: how does Apple handle warranties on replacement units? I had my out of warranty iPhone 5 replaced about 2 months ago (swollen battery). The replacement unit had been working perfectly until last night when some of the screen's touch sensor decided to die. There's an area, about the top fifth of the screen, that simply does whatever the gently caress it wants. Here's a dumb example of the only way I can show it using Notability

That was just one swipe from the starting point heading left (landscape, top of screen). Once I hit that zone it just goes crazy.

I guess my question is if hardware issues like this are covered or will I have to pay for a replacement?

Try doing the test again while you are sitting on the bed with the phone unplugged and report back.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't they say during the keynote that the watch would require an iPhone to function?

I mean if it actually doesn't and still retains functionality without the phone, that's cool. I still don't want one though.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

shodanjr_gr posted:

Except that it piggybacks off the iPhone GPS, so it's not very useful for fitness stats either.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They did, but the iPhone isn't required for all functionality. I don't think we'll really have a clear idea of how much you can do without it until closer to release though.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

vyst posted:

Everything's an accessory to an iphone.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
They only said the base model would require an iPhone. And yes, we as humans are now merely iPhone accessories ourselves.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm more concerned about battery life than anything else, it needs to last at least two days with moderate use.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pzy posted:

They only said the base model would require an iPhone.

I don't believe this is true (although there was a line in the keynote that made me initially think the same thing). I'm pretty sure the only difference is the materials used.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I'm more concerned about battery life than anything else, it needs to last at least two days with moderate use.

Why "at least two days"?

Surely it merely needs to last a day under moderate use, overnight charging is not much of a burden, no? My iPhone 5 lasts around a day with moderate use, but it's never been a problem to plug it in at night to charge.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HortonNash posted:

Why "at least two days"?

My 48 hour EDM mixtape.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Athletic Footjob posted:

My 48 hour EDM mixtape.

lol what a post

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tab8715 posted:

Why 2 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Except that it piggybacks off the iPhone GPS, so it's not very useful for fitness stats either.

The pedometer and heart rate monitor still works.

If you want to geolocate your run then you carry the drat phone in an arm band. It's not like gps enabled fitness trackers are all the rage...