Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
The most internally-consistent time travel movie I've ever seen was probably Timecrimes. I think it helped that they kept it simple. But god drat it's brutally fatalistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I feel like The Captain works well as part of The Avengers, but his own films feel like toothless spy films. Still enjoyable though. I think the first Bane fight in TDKR is excellent regardless of the thread. Every punch is measured out in pure hatred rather than being fast and furious.

Agreed.

quote:

Speaking of poo poo Nolan fights though, the fight with The Joker at the end of TDK is so dumb. For some reason Batman leaves the sonar lenses on even when he doesn't need them which is what lets The Joker blindside him. Even so Batman should have gone through him like a runaway train. If it'd been any one else he would have beat them into puddle of ultraviolence.

I dunno. I'm a fan of the theory that the reason Joker's face is scarred and why he's so drat good with weapons and planning is that he's ex special forces and got cut in Afghanistan or some poo poo. Maybe that wouldn't put him on bats' level but it would mean he could put up a decent fight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He didn't learn that magic trick from David Copperfield that's for drat sure.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

syscall girl posted:

I dunno. I'm a fan of the theory that the reason Joker's face is scarred and why he's so drat good with weapons and planning is that he's ex special forces and got cut in Afghanistan or some poo poo. Maybe that wouldn't put him on bats' level but it would mean he could put up a decent fight.

I've heard that theory too and it is a plausible one. I don't like any of those theories that try to give The Joker backstory though. He works best as an absolute in the Nolan films. I think in this case humanising the villain detracts from the character rather than adds to it. He's an unstoppable chaotic force, the more human he is the harder that is to believe. Humans have to do poos, have mini-heart attacks when they miss a step in the dark, flub their words etc.

Also Batman beat the heck out of plenty of ninjas from The League of Shadows and Bane's super mercenaries all of whom should be better fighters than a typical soldier.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I've heard that theory too and it is a plausible one. I don't like any of those theories that try to give The Joker backstory though. He works best as an absolute in the Nolan films. I think in this case humanising the villain detracts from the character rather than adds to it. He's an unstoppable chaotic force, the more human he is the harder that is to believe. Humans have to do poos, have mini-heart attacks when they miss a step in the dark, flub their words etc.

Also Batman beat the heck out of plenty of ninjas from The League of Shadows and Bane's super mercenaries all of whom should be better fighters than a typical soldier.

I am also glad that they didn't feel the need (have the time?) to do backstory and just let it be jokes instead.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

The most internally-consistent time travel movie I've ever seen was probably Timecrimes. I think it helped that they kept it simple. But god drat it's brutally fatalistic.

Timecrimes is a criminally under appreciated film.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The reason The Joker is so terrifying is that he has absolutely no backstory and nobody knows where he came from. I like sperging about potential backstories with fictional characters as much as the next guy, but he's one character where the audience knowing absolutely nothing benefits him.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Synonamess Botch posted:

I was going to call you out on this, but then I realized you didn't say Timecop.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Henchman of Santa posted:

The reason The Joker is so terrifying is that he has absolutely no backstory and nobody knows where he came from. I like sperging about potential backstories with fictional characters as much as the next guy, but he's one character where the audience knowing absolutely nothing benefits him.

Yea, like somehow knowing how he really got the mouth scars would make his contradicting stories better.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MariusLecter posted:

Yea, like somehow knowing how he really got the mouth scars would make his contradicting stories better.

If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!

gently caress I'm sad Heath Ledger died. They could have made a frame-for-frame remake of The Killing Joke and I would have died happy. It would have had to have been R-rated at the least but I don't care.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm not glad that Ledger died, but I am sort of glad that there were no Joker movies after The Dark Knight. Ledger was fantastic in that movie but there's not much of a way to progress with that character without treading all over the same ground.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I should preface this with mentioning that Terminator 2 is probably my favourite movie of all time.

But it has a loving tonne of plot holes.

For example: Sarah's cell at the beginning of the movie. Why the gently caress, in what is supposed to be an incredibly secure environment, is there a keyhole on the INSIDE of the door?

Or when the T-1000 is on top of the elevator, trying to kill John and Sarah inside the elevator by slashing THROUGH it. Why didn't he just cut the cables on the elevator and let the fall kill them?

Or how they erase all the evidence of either Terminator in the molten metal...except the arm the T-800 lost in the climatic fight.

Or, probably the biggest plot hole: It's established that Skynet can only send organic material back, hence why the T-800 has organic flesh. But it send the T-1000 back fine, when that has no organic material at all.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Or when the T-1000 is on top of the elevator, trying to kill John and Sarah inside the elevator by slashing THROUGH it. Why didn't he just cut the cables on the elevator and let the fall kill them?

I don't remember them being in the elevator very long, or the building being very tall in the establishing shots. Even assuming they were on the top floor, it may have reasoned that the fall would have had a higher chance of being survivable than just cutting through the ceiling and pouring itself into close quarters with its target.

Edit:
Also the arm probably has some nifty advanced servomotors and alloys and stuff in it, but without the revolutionary CPU it wouldn't be very useful. All the pictured research in T2 was on the smashed chip from the first movie, not the recovered arm.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Wild T posted:

I don't remember them being in the elevator very long, or the building being very tall in the establishing shots. Even assuming they were on the top floor, it may have reasoned that the fall would have had a higher chance of being survivable than just cutting through the ceiling and pouring itself into close quarters with its target.

Then why not cut the elevator, let it fall, then attack them if they do survive?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Because future robots are presumably tenacious but kind of stupid. This is why the original Terminator smacked Michael Beihn around like a Harryhausen monster while he lit up a pipe bomb instead of just snapping his neck like a baby rabbit and using the big bag of bombs to kill the poo poo out of Linda Hamilton.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then why not cut the elevator, let it fall, then attack them if they do survive?

Because you can't make elevators fall by cutting the cable. They have safety brakes that lock the elevator onto the side of the shaft if it starts to fall.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this? posted:

Because you can't make elevators fall by cutting the cable. They have safety brakes that lock the elevator onto the side of the shaft if it starts to fall.

I wish I had understood how this works when I was a kid instead of being uneasy around elevators like an idiot. Child Jacobs had so many fears about elevators spawned by movies that treat elevators like architectural tension increasers.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Doesnt the t-800 specifically mention that the t-1000 is composed of a polymimetic alloy that can simulate organic material thus allowing it to travel back in time.

Or maybe Skynet just made it turn into a small ball and stuck it inside a bag'o flesh and sent it through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The T-1000 doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Wild T posted:

All the pictured research in T2 was on the smashed chip from the first movie, not the recovered arm.

It was all about the arm, an arm was the only piece not crush flat in the first movie, and was the thing in the special vault the black guy was in charge of. I'm 80% sure the chip came from the arm.

As far as sending the T-1000 back, I like to imagine they used some sort of skin egg sack

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aggressive pricing posted:

It was all about the arm, an arm was the only piece not crush flat in the first movie, and was the thing in the special vault the black guy was in charge of. I'm 80% sure the chip came from the arm.

As far as sending the T-1000 back, I like to imagine they used some sort of skin egg sack

The chip in the vault looks exactly like the one Sarah takes out of the T-800s head in the middle of the film. That's not definitive proof. Maybe Skynet only needs one type of chip architecture.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

What the gently caress is this dude on the left even doing. "I'll just point my gun at him and then pratfall off the screen!"

Buzkashi has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Sep 16, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

The chip in the vault looks exactly like the one Sarah takes out of the T-800s head in the middle of the film. That's not definitive proof. Maybe Skynet only needs one type of chip architecture.

I checked the Terminator wiki, and they did find a CPU as well as the arm. I think I'm due to rewatch T2.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Aggressive pricing posted:

The arm was intact and we see it in the vault at his company, but they don't show anything really being done with it. The broken chip was shown all over - on Dyson's computer at home, and a giant reverse-engineered version at the company (a piece of which gets slammed on the detonator and blows the entire floor). I doubt it came from the arm, since Arnie states there's 'one more chip' and points to his own head. Also a deleted scene shows them yank an identical chip out of Arnie's head and put it back in.

If I ran a tech company and had the choice between a badass robot forearm made of cool alloys and a smashed up robot brain that can outperform current computers by orders of magnitude, robot arms can chill the gently caress out for a minute.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The T-1000 doesn't really make a lot of sense.

It's better to think of him as composed of billions of nanobots, i.e. "grey goo."

They can mimic flesh (or at least mimic it enough to fool the time machine,) but aren't advanced enough to make themselves into "new" electronics. Since each one is it's own "bot," they all have the micro-iest of microscopic CPUs, and some sort of shared, wireless, processing. Hence why pieces can move around on their own.

By the time of T3, the nanobots have improved to the point where they can combine into complex electronics.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's better to think of him as composed of billions of nanobots, i.e. "grey goo."
I just assumed it was "living" metal. I mean, it's clearly not a machine and it does get visibly faster as the film progresses (after it gets shotgunned in the mall it has a bit of a lie down to recover, by the end of the film it's getting cut in half lengthways and responding with kung fu) so yeah, "it's alive" is probably the only way to explain how it works without getting into some hardcore :techno:.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Actually, there's some indicators that it gets progressively more and more hosed up by all the cumulative damage it's taking. Freezing and thawing really messed it up, to the point where it begins having weird staticy ripples in its disguises. Moving faster is probably just because they wanted to have the tension amp up more and more, plus they didn't need to show any more establishing shots of the bad guy's capabilities so they could focus more on him doing weird evil poo poo.

The deleted scenes even show its hands and feet glitching out when coming into contact with the floor, railings, etc.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
You guys do realise that the rest of the original Terminator's crushed body would still be somewhere in storage and leaving the crushed arm behind in the steel factory in T2 is meaningless?

The only really important thing there was the CPU which was completely new technology as far as anyone was concerned.

The arm in the vault was just there to be ominous and spooky.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Buzkashi posted:

What the gently caress is this dude on the left even doing. "I'll just point my gun at him and then pratfall off the screen!"

Hey man, ice can really take you out if you're not paying attention.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mister Nobody posted:

Doesnt the t-800 specifically mention that the t-1000 is composed of a polymimetic alloy that can simulate organic material thus allowing it to travel back in time.

Or maybe Skynet just made it turn into a small ball and stuck it inside a bag'o flesh and sent it through.

In the Terminator comics (yes, I know, I'm sorry) they did this at one point where a group of T-800s was sent back for some reason and there was one big fat one that had a really lovely chassis but was massively fat, and its "gut" was full of phased plasma rifles with a 40 watt range.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Memento posted:

In the Terminator comics (yes, I know, I'm sorry) they did this at one point where a group of T-800s was sent back for some reason and there was one big fat one that had a really lovely chassis but was massively fat, and its "gut" was full of phased plasma rifles with a 40 watt range.

I always wonder why Skynet didn't just give the Terminator a bigass future gun with a sheath of skin over it to fool the Time Travel Gods or whatever makes it so only living things go back (I'm not a tech guy). Presumably the configuration that allows a metal skeleton to travel back in time would also allow a metal gun.

*Edit: If it absolutely needs to be man-shaped, fashion a crude skeleton shape out of laser guns with a laser bomb for a head.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Wild T posted:

I always wonder why Skynet didn't just give the Terminator a bigass future gun with a sheath of skin over it to fool the Time Travel Gods or whatever makes it so only living things go back (I'm not a tech guy). Presumably the configuration that allows a metal skeleton to travel back in time would also allow a metal gun.

*Edit: If it absolutely needs to be man-shaped, fashion a crude skeleton shape out of laser guns with a laser bomb for a head.

Now I've just got the image of Skynet drawing a smiley face on a nuke. "There, that'll fool 'em."

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I always thought that the fact that the terminators' skin allowed them to travel back through time was basically a happy accident. Didn't they say that the whole reason they have all the living tissue and such is to fool the humans so the terminators can infiltrate resistance groups? Presumably they've been doing that throughout the war, before any time travel became necessary. And I know they said the whole reason the machines were sent back in time was because the humans were storming Skynet's base and were moments away from victory. So I think it just panicked, realized that the terminator's living tissue might get them through the time portal, and quickly shoved a few of them through before the humans won entirely, without the time to whip up some skin-sheathes for the gun.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Or, probably the biggest plot hole: It's established that Skynet can only send organic material back, hence why the T-800 has organic flesh. But it send the T-1000 back fine, when that has no organic material at all.

Pretty sure it's that any metal being sent ends up on the inside. Somehow.

I remember paging through a Terminator comic book in a store ages ago. There was a bit where the humans were sending some soldiers through the time whatzit, and one of them hosed up and had a gun with him. When they came out the other side his gun was inside his gut.

It was a pretty "Woahhhhh" bit in a comic book for a 13 year old kid.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IIRC what happened was that Connery turned down LOTR and the first Matrix movie because he couldn't really follow the scripts. So when someone approached him with another nerd adaptation he just signed right up.

So Lord Of The Rings flew over his head but Zardoz didn't?

Reptoid Democracy
Nov 30, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT REPORTING PEOPLE FOR EMPTY-QUOTING IN THE QUOTE THREAD

Tiggum posted:

That comment always sticks out to me because it just doesn't make sense. Even assuming that on that last day he did go to her for one last lesson, he had to already be pretty good at playing the piano by then. There's no way she would be able to take credit for it — even though she actually did teach him, she doesn't know that. By this point, wouldn't he basically be going there to use her piano to practice, rather than for her to teach him anything? But with all the other stuff he did on that final run-through, how would he even have had time for a piano lesson?

I always figured he lied and said he was an old student from years ago when he invited her to the party, she isn't going to remember everyone she taught.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So Lord Of The Rings flew over his head but Zardoz didn't?

Zardoz was also 25+ years before.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

At the end of School of Rock the other band wins the competition despite Jack Black's Band of Misfits clearly getting the audience's favor. Like, the audience loses their loving mind so what metric is this competition based on? Was Spider's leather pauldrons and gyrating hips enough to win the vote or was it the lead singer's open silk shirt?
It's just a lazy way to drive home the moral of the story. They could have tried to make the competition at least comperable despite being Jack Black's former band members; a fact that only the movie audience is privy to.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inzombiac posted:

At the end of School of Rock the other band wins the competition despite Jack Black's Band of Misfits clearly getting the audience's favor. Like, the audience loses their loving mind so what metric is this competition based on? Was Spider's leather pauldrons and gyrating hips enough to win the vote or was it the lead singer's open silk shirt?
It's just a lazy way to drive home the moral of the story. They could have tried to make the competition at least comperable despite being Jack Black's former band members; a fact that only the movie audience is privy to.

At approximately the time of this posting I was watching the end of School of Rock and commenting about it in GOON guild chat. This is a really strange round-about way to hold a conversation Zomb

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

They can mimic flesh (or at least mimic it enough to fool the time machine,) but aren't advanced enough to make themselves into "new" electronics. Since each one is it's own "bot," they all have the micro-iest of microscopic CPUs, and some sort of shared, wireless, processing. Hence why pieces can move around on their own.

By the time of T3, the nanobots have improved to the point where they can combine into complex electronics.

One of the novels actually breaks down the T-1000s quite well. They are indeed composed of tiny individual cells, with two 'layers' of programming. The deeper layer is present in full in every cell (akin to DNA) and contains simple instructions on how to move around, form objects, and rejoin if pieces get separated. Then on top of that there is a more superficial layer of programming that is spread throughout the cells with each cell only holding a small chunk, and that layer governs its mission directives and behaviour.

So any individual piece has enough intelligence to try and rejoin the whole, but its only when enough 'cells' are together that it can access its terminator programming and behave with direction. Also, the reason it can travel through time is that it can mimic the electromagnetic field given off by a living organism.

drat I'm a geek. But it feels so good.