Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Tim Pawlenty posted:

It's brutal...after the last run you'd think people would remember him from his ad campaign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfkNEq1XioE

When I see this ad I think more about Michael Bay than Tim Pawlenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

TARDISman posted:

Honestly I forgot he was governor of MN and I live there. He's just a forgettable dude who blends into the background.

We should use Pawlenty for spying on people no one would ever remember he was in places.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

CJSwiss posted:

When I see this ad I think more about Michael Bay than Tim Pawlenty.

Seriously was that a shot of Paris from Armageddon?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Speaking of Minnesota, I have it on good authority that Klobuchar will run if Hillary does not. If Hillary does, she's definitely going to run in 2020 or 2024. Basically there's no escaping it.

I know little about her. Is she noteworthy at all?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

De Nomolos posted:

Speaking of Minnesota, I have it on good authority that Klobuchar will run if Hillary does not. If Hillary does, she's definitely going to run in 2020 or 2024. Basically there's no escaping it.

I remember in 2006 she had the personality of a bag of wet sand. I dunno if she's gotten better in the last decade though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have to imagine Warren runs if for whatever impossible reason Hillary doesn't. At least I hope so.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My grandfather has asked me twice now if Pawlenty is running in 2016. He's got at least one fan, apparently! My grandpa is like Arkane, I guess :3:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have to imagine Warren runs if for whatever impossible reason Hillary doesn't. At least I hope so.

I get a feeling that Hillary is most likely going to run assuming her health doesn't poo poo out. For better or for worse she's getting up in her years and starting to have issues. Either way Warren gets my vote by default if she's anywhere on the ticket. I think she'd make a real good president. Assuming, of course, the GOP doesn't continue to decimate the country out of spite if she gets it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

De Nomolos posted:

She is a loving terrible human being who regularly screams at her staff, leading to the average job expectancy of Klobuchar counsel being around 6 months.

Seriously just a horrible person in private. She masks it well though which is why MN loves her.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Kalman posted:

She is a loving terrible human being who regularly screams at her staff, leading to the average job expectancy of Klobuchar counsel being around 6 months.

Seriously just a horrible person in private. She masks it well though which is why MN loves her.
Staff turnover is actually a pretty good first-pass metric for this kind of thing I think (just because I would expect Bachmann and Jackson Lee to be near top of "bad boss" list and sure enough they are both in top 3):
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/22/who-are-the-best-and-worst-bosses-on-capitol-hill/?page=all

edit: to finish my thought, just looking at scrollbar Kloubuchar looks to be like ~90th percentile in terms of being the worst.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 16, 2014

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My grandfather has asked me twice now if Pawlenty is running in 2016. He's got at least one fan, apparently! My grandpa is like Arkane, I guess :3:

I can only hope that every time gramps brings it up you pretend you don't know who he is

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

andrew smash posted:

I can only hope that every time gramps brings it up you pretend you don't know who he is

GOOGLE TIMPAWLENTY

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

pangstrom posted:

Staff turnover is actually a pretty good first-pass metric for this kind of thing I think (just because I would expect Bachmann and Jackson Lee to be near top of "bad boss" list and sure enough they are both in top 3):
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/22/who-are-the-best-and-worst-bosses-on-capitol-hill/?page=all

edit: to finish my thought, just looking at scrollbar Kloubuchar looks to be like ~90th percentile in terms of being the worst.
Let us remember the patron saint, Katherine Harris. Also, Shirley "Dracula-oval office" Sekula Gibbs, if you're from around Houston.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I get a feeling that Hillary is most likely going to run assuming her health doesn't poo poo out. For better or for worse she's getting up in her years and starting to have issues. Either way Warren gets my vote by default if she's anywhere on the ticket. I think she'd make a real good president. Assuming, of course, the GOP doesn't continue to decimate the country out of spite if she gets it.

They will.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There does seem to be a gender correlation... top 4 are women, and on the bottom of the list you have to go up ~30 before you get to Rep. Diane Watson.

No idea why--other than for 2 years I've only had female bosses so I'm not the guy to ask--but let's not shoot the messenger. Maybe a lot of it is dudes who can't stand working for a woman, I don't know.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

They will do their best to destroy the country out of spite unless they win the election, period. We've already established the government shutdown as a viable threat in the GOP's playbook. Threatening it over immigration reform may be what lead to Obama postponing dealing with the issue.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cythereal posted:

They will do their best to destroy the country out of spite unless they win the election, period.

At which point they return to doing their best to destroy the county out of greed.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

De Nomolos posted:

Speaking of Minnesota, I have it on good authority that Klobuchar will run if Hillary does not.

You really mean if Hillary gets hit by a bus, because Hillary is straight up running for President right now, few people have launched earlier campaigns and none as massive as Hillary 2016 already is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You still want to play all four quarters of the game just in case. Lots of stuff can happen to Hillary besides getting hit by a bus, she's a 66 year old woman.

If Hillary is incapacitated the Dem field is almost as weak as the GOP. Biden would get the nod, which both thrills and terrifies me.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

You heard it here first, SedanChair confirmed for Tanya Harding to Hillary's Kerrigan in 2016.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

SedanChair posted:

You still want to play all four quarters of the game just in case. Lots of stuff can happen to Hillary besides getting hit by a bus, she's a 66 year old woman.

If Hillary is incapacitated the Dem field is almost as weak as the GOP. Biden would get the nod, which both thrills and terrifies me.

Is it really a given that Biden (always a bridesmaid) will be the nominee if Hillary isn't?

Also, is Biden truly as awesome as D&D says he is, or would he basically be the same as Obama/Hillary in the Oval Office?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ninjasaurus posted:

Is it really a given that Biden (always a bridesmaid) will be the nominee if Hillary isn't?

Also, is Biden truly as awesome as D&D says he is, or would he basically be the same as Obama/Hillary in the Oval Office?

Biden is a longshot under the best of circumstances. He's a really bad candidate on his own. He's tried running for President multiple times in the last 30 years and has rarely polled above the sampling error.

So if Hillary ultimately doesn't run, Biden will likely flame out again as her alternative.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ninjasaurus posted:

Biden would have a tough time in a Hillaryless primary, historical evidence exists on his Democratic Primary chops and it's doubtful becoming a septuagenarian will cure the lacklustre performance his 88 and 08 runs demonstrated. On the ironic level D&D takes in politics Biden and onion Biden are indistinguishable but in real life Biden is a teetotaling foreign policy wonk who's useless on the stump.

The Harkin quote is telling in that in spite of being ostensibly a polite nicety to Biden is premised on the fact that the Vice President would have no chance running against Hillary.

imafknninja
Apr 22, 2007
Grim and frostbitten
What about Gore? The idea of him running again is actually somewhat exciting to me, as far as mainstreamish candidates go. I know it would be bad for him to upset the Clinton camp, but I just can't help thinking that a Draft Gore campaign could seriously work. He would start out way, way ahead of the Biden/Sanders/Warren camps, and could potentially be very materially different from a Clinton presidency.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

imafknninja posted:

What about Gore? The idea of him running again is actually somewhat exciting to me, as far as mainstreamish candidates go. I know it would be bad for him to upset the Clinton camp, but I just can't help thinking that a Draft Gore campaign could seriously work. He would start out way, way ahead of the Biden/Sanders/Warren camps, and could potentially be very materially different from a Clinton presidency.

Gore vs. (Jeb) Bush, Part II: This Time It's Personal

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What is wrong with you people? Gore? Hillary is bad enough but I can at least understand a defeated sort of acceptance of her. We don't need to drag another loser back from the pasture.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

What is wrong with you people? Gore? Hillary is bad enough but I can at least understand a defeated sort of acceptance of her. We don't need to drag another loser back from the pasture.

Well he did win the popular vote.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

Well he did win the popular vote.

Popular vote means nothing. You have to win the electoral vote to win Presidency. Popular vote merely aids toward that end.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SedanChair posted:

Rich 66 year old women aren't exactly looking over their shoulder for the Grim Reaper. It could possibly turn out that the Right Wing conspiracy theories about her brain after her fainting and hitting her head a few years ago are true. Other than that though, 66 and rich is pretty looks pretty good on the medical chart.

imafknninja posted:

Gore doesn't seem to want to be President. If he did he had several chances to jump in and likely take the nomination. He seems pretty happy talking about the environment and making bank selling media to Al Jazzera.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Without Clinton it would go to Warren.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gyges posted:

Gore doesn't seem to want to be President. If he did he had several chances to jump in and likely take the nomination. He seems pretty happy talking about the environment and making bank selling media to Al Jazzera.

Yeah if Gore wanted to be President he would have stayed in the public eye like Clinton did, instead he's basically done nothing public since the movie.

Trabisnikof posted:

Or Biden or Cuomo or Booker if he suddenly becomes ten times more charismatic (ie, Obama-level).

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 17, 2014

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
poo poo. I was going to reply to someone and now I can't even remember what it was about. That is because, I went to Wikipedia and saw this:

"Biden" redirects here. For the surname, see Biden family. For the dwarf planet, see 2012 VP113.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

Popular vote means nothing. You have to win the electoral vote to win Presidency. Popular vote merely aids toward that end.

Abolish the electoral college.

Then abolish the system of states, instead all major metropolitan areas become new governing entities with largest municipal government the Capital of said metro area. Every 30,000 residents in a metro area is awarded a Congressional rep. The Senate is abolished.

All other residents outside metropolitan areas are now under Federal Territorial Governance.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Without Clinton it would be free for all and many people who are quietly sitting out would jump in, but those people are sitting out and staying quiet because Hillary has already decided to run in 2016 and has in fact already started running. There is really no point in speculating about the vanishingly small prospect of a 2016 primary without Clinton in the race.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

Then abolish the system of states, instead all major metropolitan areas become new governing entities with largest municipal government the Capital of said metro area. Every 30,000 residents in a metro area is awarded a Congressional rep. The Senate is abolished.

All other residents outside metropolitan areas are now under Federal Territorial Governance.

Free puppies or kittens for everyone.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

Alternative to abolishion within current framework: create regional partnerships that govern regions as a level inbetween state and federal.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

Without Clinton it would be free for all and many people who are quietly sitting out would jump in, but those people are sitting out and staying quiet because Hillary has already decided to run in 2016 and has in fact already started running. There is really no point in speculating about the vanishingly small prospect of a 2016 primary without Clinton in the race.

Yes, at this point any discussion of a contested Democratic primary is predicated on the remote chance that Clinton has a stroke or it comes out she's been cheating on Bill within the next year and a half.

Berke Negri posted:

Also, abolish postseason play in baseball and have games all year.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
What happens if she has a health problem after winning the nomination but before picking a VP?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ganon posted:

What happens if she has a health problem after winning the nomination but before picking a VP?

If she can't continue as a candidate, the party nominates someone else. Having a new convention would be difficult, so it would probably be state party chairmen in a classic smoke-filled room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Honestly the least edit sized change to elections that could stop the two-party system would be to abolish the electoral college and make the senate PR. A PR senate with a 5% floor would have 5-6 parties at least in the US right now.

Ganon posted:

The right-wing rumor mill has already started condemning her "health problems" so you won't have to wait too long.

• Locked thread