Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
No guys I don't think I'm going to let you pick a player council, I think I'll pick lapdogs instead and they will just do what I ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I just updated the game since I can't even remember, I think I last played when ghost heat was introduced and decided "gently caress this poo poo"

What the poo poo is up with the terrible UI? I don't want to figure out something that looks like an accounting software just to make robbits.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Then you might as well uninstall. Welcome to UI 2.0.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
So apparently if you form a 12 man then the priority of who you face is 12 man 10+2 then regular group queue.

LOL

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Washout posted:

No guys I don't think I'm going to let you pick a player council, I think I'll pick lapdogs instead and they will just do what I ask.

I realise I'm continually going against the prevailing tide of "everything is doomed to fail", but Russ going "hey, this isn't what I meant" after a weekend is better than him waiting until this deranged nomination/election process is finished, then sweeping it all off the table and bellowing "NO! DO IT AGAIN!"

That candidate spreadsheet is hilarious though. When you have a document containing both Heffay and me, you know that people are just throwing any old name in.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yeah, his response does seem of the tone of "hey guys lets make this work" rather than the draconian "this sucks you all fail" that some people were worried about.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Fil5000 posted:

I realise I'm continually going against the prevailing tide of "everything is doomed to fail", but Russ going "hey, this isn't what I meant" after a weekend is better than him waiting until this deranged nomination/election process is finished, then sweeping it all off the table and bellowing "NO! DO IT AGAIN!"

That candidate spreadsheet is hilarious though. When you have a document containing both Heffay and me, you know that people are just throwing any old name in.

To be honest, I've been throwing some of your names on the list trying to bait some "GRR GOONS" from the ragers.

No luck though.

StandingCow
Sep 12, 2014
Here is the epic conclusion to my email string with Russ:

His reply:

Hi John,
Although I am disappointed you posted the conversation on Reddit before we had a chance to conclude it, I would like to finish it off none the less.
That's fair enough if you want to remember the past and I agree it's not about forgetting it, but also not letting it drag us down. I will remember and will us that as motivation.
I am not asking for you to be a Forumgold, only that you keep things related to current subjects and goings on and hopefully participate in some of the opportunities for player feedback.
I am removing your need for moderation preview.
Russ

Another reply right after it:

Oops
*use that as motivation.
Since I get crushed on my grammar. Although I have never claimed to be anything near a grammar Nazi, my main downfall is trying to move through my work load too quickly.
Russ

My response to him:

I am not worried about grammar. I just want you guys to learn and improve the game. I honestly don't enjoy "hating" on you guys, all the hate is because we had so much hope and want the game to be good.
I really appreciate the steps you are taking in trying to make amends, not only in the forum unbannings but the player council. I really think a blanket unban for all but the most serious offenders would benefit the trust factor... the problem with how you guys are doing this right now is that you are making people prove something to get unbanned.
I really hope we start to see action instead of words soon. CW must be good or MWO will be in trouble. I would also suggest re-doing UI 2.0 (this has been a huge block to my wanting to play again).
Again, thanks for your time Russ.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sparq posted:

To be honest, I've been throwing some of your names on the list trying to bait some "GRR GOONS" from the ragers.

No luck though.

Well, hilarious as it is to be on there, I barely have time to play videogames these days, never mind sit on a council. Plus I doubt pubbies will vote for "that guy that wrote some articles a year ago".

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Galaga Galaxian posted:

24 hours later...

:laffo:

I feel certain at this point that something has happened other than just people stopping backing. 100 is just too perfect a number for it to have stopped dead like that, especially when up to that point there'd been at least a trickle of them backing.

Popular theories around chat:

- They turned it off and are working on some sort of big blog post about how they're revamping the funding.
- They turned it off and are capitulating (lol)
- Their payment processor has shut them down
- Technical issues (likely not, they'd have reported it by now, right? unless they don't want to look MORE incompetent)

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah what's currently happening is a massive improvement. Sadly a lot of stuff has happened that has alienated a lot of "whales" (I think this label is awesome; Thanks Tegiminis) and other fans/spergs/nerds. Wether that is due to IGP/PGI doesn't really matter, because it has "colored" the emotional relationship people have with the game and PGI.
And it's hardly possible for PGI to disclose all what has happened between them and IGP. At least doing it might make it difficult to get another contract with other publishers. Which they might have to do in the future.

I certainly would like to know what exactly has happened between IGP/PGI. I'd also like to have a couple of millions on my bank account :D.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic that PGI is realizing that they actually damaged their community with their old behavior and want to improve on that, not because they love us, but because without a community they get less income. I'm fine with that, cause that is the basis of most videogame community/Dev/Publisher interactions.
All in all, I'm looking forward to my King Crab, cause I love the King Crab. It's one of those cute, derpy designs that appeared cause FASA could not rip off japanese mecha mangas/animes anymore, and I always thought it was one of the cutest assault mechs around. And not half bad.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Make the free gift version the KGC-010! Why yes, I would love a 100 tonner with twin ballistic arms, and an energy/missile combo in each torso!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I can't wait to take the side torsos off a king crab, or hang out in the blind spot in a Jenner while just spamming MLs into it. Mmmmmmm return of the son of Stalker Side Torsos.

PS I think the Spider is terrible design because I hate man-robots but a JJ ECM really really appeals to me help.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm a little bummed I'm not getting a "please forget our fuckups" King Crab because I'm only an elite founder.

On the other hand I saved 60$.

E: Didn't PGI's mech/concept artist do a doodle of a king crab ages back? I'm kinda curious how the MWO version will look, particularly considering how they generally find a way to modify designs to allow for torso twisting.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 16, 2014

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Holy poo poo, all those Dougram wargame minis. You better treasure those drat things. :swoon:

24 hours later...

:laffo:

Make sure to save these screenshots so we can forward it to PGI's potential investors, you know, so they know that only 100 people will buy this game if they choose to invest in it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's funny how they started out being obviously careful to avoid putting in a dual-ballistic capable asssault 'Mech. Then bam, cash grab Dire Wolf and appeasement King Crab.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I know some of you light guys run spiders. They're cheap, right? What lovely variants are there in addition to the ecm one that is slightly less poo poo since it has jjs and ECM? How do you master this robot out?

I'm thinking with medium lasers and the cool down module you can just turn into a green laser hose in the ECM variant, but the other ones look like they suck all dongs.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

I know some of you light guys run spiders. They're cheap, right? What lovely variants are there in addition to the ecm one that is slightly less poo poo since it has jjs and ECM? How do you master this robot out?

I'm thinking with medium lasers and the cool down module you can just turn into a green laser hose in the ECM variant, but the other ones look like they suck all dongs.

AC/5 Spider is pretty fun*.

*may not actually be fun

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
All hands on deck for community warfare except for the guys we have now assigned to Apology Dire Wolf/King Crab duty, which is like half our staff btw.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Paramemetic posted:

Can't recall if you can fit an erppc on that one but if you do, try that. Annoy people all day every day.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I already have a 3L, so I don't need an ECM light. Are Jenners any good these days? I seem to be able to get some work done with my Sarah Jenner from back in the day, but I don't know if the other ones are considered ok these days.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I made a post.

So did Stalkerr.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

pixelbaron posted:

All hands on deck for community warfare except for the guys we have now assigned to Apology Dire Wolf/King Crab duty, which is like half our staff btw.

The mech pipeline is almost exclusively 3D artists who won't have a lot of CW tasks.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

EoRaptor posted:

I made a post.

So did Stalkerr.

That laser change would make Clan 'mechs harder to use, while also letting them maintain higher DPS. Would be interesting to see how their tactics change. I like it.

More over, IS would be WAY better brawlers at that point.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

OB_Juan posted:

I already have a 3L, so I don't need an ECM light. Are Jenners any good these days? I seem to be able to get some work done with my Sarah Jenner from back in the day, but I don't know if the other ones are considered ok these days.

Jenners remain A Good Robot but aren't really best in class anymore, just if you like how they handle. A Jenner-F is still a beast with 6 MLs and Jenner-D is solid with 2xSRM 4 or an SRM-6. The Jenner-O costs MC and if strictly mediocre but decent for farming cash if you gimmick it up as a baby LRM boat.

Radar deprivation makes them completely own, 360 retention helps too.

I still prefer running a Jenner because those modules plus the jumpjets make it better than a Raven IMO, which sort of sucks because I love the aesthetics and handling of ravens.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Number19 posted:

The mech pipeline is almost exclusively 3D artists who won't have a lot of CW tasks.

Speaking of artists, does Alexander Iglesias still work for you guys?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Paramemetic posted:

Jenners remain A Good Robot but aren't really best in class anymore, just if you like how they handle. A Jenner-F is still a beast with 6 MLs and Jenner-D is solid with 2xSRM 4 or an SRM-6. The Jenner-O costs MC and if strictly mediocre but decent for farming cash if you gimmick it up as a baby LRM boat.

Radar deprivation makes them completely own, 360 retention helps too.

I still prefer running a Jenner because those modules plus the jumpjets make it better than a Raven IMO, which sort of sucks because I love the aesthetics and handling of ravens.

The Raven has been the butt of a lot of sweeping and unintended nerfs over the past 2 years. What used to be one of the best mechs in the game is now fairly scrub tier. RIP in peace 3L.

Jenner-D is my recommendation as well, though I haven't played in a long time. Since Ghost Heat I would advise careful mapping of the lasers or you will overheat yourself.

ERPPC Spider is a fun gimmick, especially if you can get up on top of a building on one of the city maps.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

EoRaptor posted:

I made a post.

So did Stalkerr.

Yeah, I like your laser plan A LOT. Bonus Points for doing what Paul said was his intention, but is incapable of figuring out because of his giant sausage brain. This is an amazing idea, so I suspect PGI will actively ignore it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OB_Juan posted:

That laser change would make Clan 'mechs harder to use, while also letting them maintain higher DPS. Would be interesting to see how their tactics change. I like it.

More over, IS would be WAY better brawlers at that point.

That's why I made the clan pulse laser continuous fire, which should help pump out DPS in a brawl. I chose to maintain the current values in the new setup, but I actually lean towards bumping some of the damage numbers back up a bit. I don't want to try going to far without some ability to play test it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The only good Spider is the one that you can turn into R2D2. Get 1 ERPPC, minimum engine, ECM, max jump jets. Jump on your friend's head.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Paramemetic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH1_8u0F7cY

Also the new 'charge up' mechanic for gauss is poo poo, gently caress that. :colbert:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I don't run many proper IS lites anymore (I'm one of those masochistic and heretical medium pilots :shobon: ) but here's my take.

Paramemetic posted:

You're mostly correct. :( There's the 5K, which is the trial one so you already have an idea on what it can do, and is less lovely than the 5V, which has only 2 energy hardpoints in the center torso and way more jump jet capacity than the other variants (12 opposed to 5K's 6 and 5D's 8), but nothing else. Most of the time, you run 2 MLs or 2 MPLs and go poke at internals.

I've also seen a knife fighting 5D with 3xMPLs. It's a pretty nasty customer.

Also while light 'Mechs are cheap to buy, the bells and whistles put in to make it not suck (such as Endo, FF, XL engines, and/or double heat sinks) will add up very quickly. The total bill can cost just as much as an Assault's face price.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 16, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Phrosphor posted:

The Raven has been the butt of a lot of sweeping and unintended nerfs over the past 2 years. What used to be one of the best mechs in the game is now fairly scrub tier. RIP in peace 3L.

Jenner-D is my recommendation as well, though I haven't played in a long time. Since Ghost Heat I would advise careful mapping of the lasers or you will overheat yourself.

ERPPC Spider is a fun gimmick, especially if you can get up on top of a building on one of the city maps.

For me I don't feel like the D packs enough punch with missiles, I usually run it 4 ML + SRM6, which means you're leaving a hardpoint open, but it lets you carry a bit less ammo without chewing through it fast. I used to love the D ( :gay: ), but now I've realized the F is where it's at.

In order to avoid ghost heat, I do a mapping with 6 MLs that is 3 lasers on stagger to RMB, 3 lasers on stagger to LMB, and 4 lasers for an "alpha" on another mouse button. I can control heat pretty well and just continually spray lasers by swapping back and forth between the 3 staggered, or shooting both staggered at the same time for a hotter "pump out damage" mode. It punches hard enough to leg lights and to get the attention of assaults over time.

I don't get many kills, but I had a match last night where I got 1 kill and 11 assists, so it's pretty decent for opportunity damage and pissing people off, which is all a light is really all about. I loves me shooting lasers pew pew.

I think I'm gonna roll some Spiders tonight or whenever I'm able to play again. I've mastered Jenners and Ravens and the Firestarter just doesn't get me off, it's like a Jenner but I don't like how it drives. So even though it's probably a technically better on paper robot, I don't like them.

I like stupid gimmick robots, that's really the only way to get through basicking them out. Do any of the Spiders come with the biggest XL engine possible, I think XL255? I would rather buy than, max it, then use that engine to move it all around. I have 11M Cbills from the last challenge week and I'm trying to stay above 10 for now but gently caress it I'll buy some cheapass lights.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I still like my Founder Hunchback, it was never good, but for some reason I really like the way it looks and stomps around. What's wrong with me? :smith:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
255 is a good bet. The other variants run faster but that's the 5D's limit and you'll be running that eventually. :)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Feindfeuer posted:

I still like my Founder Hunchback, it was never good, but for some reason I really like the way it looks and stomps around. What's wrong with me? :smith:

The hunchie looks good and the ac/20 feels good. As long as you know that it's a ridiculous liability having 95% of your offensive capability easily removed by shooting at the most obvious place on the mech, and you're not advocating it as a good choice, who cares if you like it?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Paramemetic posted:

I like stupid gimmick robots, that's really the only way to get through basicking them out. Do any of the Spiders come with the biggest XL engine possible, I think XL255? I would rather buy than, max it, then use that engine to move it all around. I have 11M Cbills from the last challenge week and I'm trying to stay above 10 for now but gently caress it I'll buy some cheapass lights.

Spider (5k?) with 100xl engine and AC/10 in the arm. Doesn't get more gimmicky than that. :colbert:

Found out today that I apparently bought a Heavy Metal at some point and didn't even remember it. Turns out 3xMLas, 2xSSRM2, 2xAC/5 is a pretty decent brawling build, and it already had a 330XL engine for relatively speedy assault get-aroundness.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of artists, does Alexander Iglesias still work for you guys?

Flyingdebris is still making as many mech concepts as he possibly can for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH1_8u0F7cY

Also the new 'charge up' mechanic for gauss is poo poo, gently caress that. :colbert:

You get used to it. The tradeoff of higher projectile speed is nice and while I certainly have plenty of missed opportunities, I can still snipe effectively. Brawling is much more difficult, but in the muromets, it was never a good idea.

• Locked thread