Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Archo posted:

Well it's all about perspective. In relation to the number of people who play minecraft across all platforms the modding community is incredibly small. I'm not sure what his perspective was.

And while I'm at it, I'm really disappointed with this thread in general. Why doesn't anyone see that mods are a gold mine to exploit across consoles? If I was a popular mod maker (king lemming, mDiyo, etc) I would be banging on Microsoft's door to get in on even the possibility that I could monetize my mod that way

Because as per the EULA terms, there is nothing to stop Microsoft taking the code and selling it and telling you to sod off. That would basically be the end of the modding community if MS decided to take that route, which is why I'm thinking they won't.

Keep in mind also that if you bought MC during the pre-alpha, alpha or beta process, you're actually entitled to any and all Minecraft DLC as per the terms of the purchase at the time. Of course this only applies to the PC version of Minecraft, and I can see Microsoft starting to monetise console versions with skins, etc. Mind you, I don't think that is such a bad thing in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Archo posted:

And while I'm at it, I'm really disappointed with this thread in general. Why doesn't anyone see that mods are a gold mine to exploit across consoles? If I was a popular mod maker (king lemming, mDiyo, etc) I would be banging on Microsoft's door to get in on even the possibility that I could monetize my mod that way

Except Microsoft isn't interested in giving whiny drama ridden minecraft modders money. If they want these kinds of things as DLC they are going to make them in house and keep the profits for themselves.

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

Rutibex posted:

Except Microsoft isn't interested in giving whiny drama ridden minecraft modders money. If they want these kinds of things as DLC they are going to make them in house and keep the profits for themselves.

Yes which is a good reason why I would be banging on their door. Could be a place for you, and they could still buy your poo poo if they had a mind to. Why not explore all options?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Archo posted:

Well it's all about perspective. In relation to the number of people who play minecraft across all platforms the modding community is incredibly small. I'm not sure what his perspective was.

But compared to basically every other modding community in the history of ever, the Minecraft modding community is massively large, and the sheer number of people who use mods is staggering. (Comparatively.) In fact, it makes up such a significant percentage of the Minecraft community that Microsoft would be stupid not to pay attention to them to at least some degree... but then, this is Microsoft. Stupid decisions is one of the things they're best at.

Getting a mod on a console is a vastly more difficult task than modding the PC version. The console/mobile versions aren't done in Java, as far as I know, so the mod must be significantly reworked to work with the new code, assuming it's even possible at all. One of the things that makes modding for Minecraft so popular is the fact that it's in Java.

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

CrazyTolradi posted:

Keep in mind also that if you bought MC during the pre-alpha, alpha or beta process, you're actually entitled to any and all Minecraft DLC as per the terms of the purchase at the time. Of course this only applies to the PC version of Minecraft, and I can see Microsoft starting to monetise console versions with skins, etc. Mind you, I don't think that is such a bad thing in itself.

Agreed, I find the pc version and the modding of it to be a murky area, but the console version has sold many more copies and such is far more ripe for such a thing as a mod store

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

Serifina posted:

But compared to basically every other modding community in the history of ever, the Minecraft modding community is massively large, and the sheer number of people who use mods is staggering. (Comparatively.) In fact, it makes up such a significant percentage of the Minecraft community that Microsoft would be stupid not to pay attention to them to at least some degree... but then, this is Microsoft. Stupid decisions is one of the things they're best at.

Getting a mod on a console is a vastly more difficult task than modding the PC version. The console/mobile versions aren't done in Java, as far as I know, so the mod must be significantly reworked to work with the new code, assuming it's even possible at all. One of the things that makes modding for Minecraft so popular is the fact that it's in Java.

I agree but I feel that the mountain is not as steep as you think it is and Microsoft doesn't lack for programming talent.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I think at first you're likely to see texture packs/skins on sale for the console ports, starting with the Xbox One. Then they'll introduce DLC packs with more in game content, likely inspired by content in mods. They're totally free to use such ideas via the EULA and, since people can't mod for the console version, means there's an entire market they can tap into.

DLC for the PC version is pointless, and you'll see Microsoft likely trying to renege on the whole deal for people getting all PC Minecraft content for buying before release by doing a "Minecraft 2.0" style thing.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
To anyone playing the End of Light pack, do your sugar cane grow at all? I transplanted some I found and they don't seem to want to grow at all. Does growthcraft or something change their requirements and I missed it?

Also uh...do meteors actually fall? I've seen a spotlight for that falling meteors mod but I have yet to see anything on my map that looks like a crater. Is there a visual indicator in the sky you can watch for so you know ones coming or what?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

I think at first you're likely to see texture packs/skins on sale for the console ports, starting with the Xbox One. Then they'll introduce DLC packs with more in game content, likely inspired by content in mods. They're totally free to use such ideas via the EULA and, since people can't mod for the console version, means there's an entire market they can tap into.

DLC for the PC version is pointless, and you'll see Microsoft likely trying to renege on the whole deal for people getting all PC Minecraft content for buying before release by doing a "Minecraft 2.0" style thing.

Doesn't the console version already sell skin packs and texture packs?

I could see Microsoft pushing for the release of the PC name change system fast and throwing that behind a paywall.

Also, I wonder if Sphax/BDCraft is going to try and push to get their texture pack added to the console versions now that Notch is gone, seeing that Notch personally said he was going to block his texture pack from ever going to the console version because the guy behind the pack added a "Press this button to send an automatic, pre-written tweet, to Notch's twitter begging to add my pack to the console version", which resulted in Notch getting spammed the gently caress out. :v:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Enzer posted:

Doesn't the console version already sell skin packs and texture packs?

I could see Microsoft pushing for the release of the PC name change system fast and throwing that behind a paywall.

Also, I wonder if Sphax/BDCraft is going to try and push to get their texture pack added to the console versions now that Notch is gone, seeing that Notch personally said he was going to block his texture pack from ever going to the console version because the guy behind the pack added a "Press this button to send an automatic, pre-written tweet, to Notch's twitter begging to add my pack to the console version", which resulted in Notch getting spammed the gently caress out. :v:

I'd have to play a console version to know, my 8 year old cousin loves the 360 version for some reason though, so I guess that's their target audience. He has a PC account, but hasn't played much and didn't even know how to play beyond 1.4 until I updated his launcher and got him on 1.7.10. It's kinda weird having this 24 year age gap and sharing something in common like a game.

Never been a fan of Sphax personally, but I do agree with you on the name change angle. Weren't they looking to implement that in 1.8?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

CrazyTolradi posted:

Never been a fan of Sphax personally, but I do agree with you on the name change angle. Weren't they looking to implement that in 1.8?
They've been laying the groundwork for it in 1.8, and the game itself is pretty name-independent now (everything's based off UUIDs instead), so I think at this point the rest of the work needed is on Mojang's server side (having an area in your account management page for it on the web site, etc.), so they could potentially still finish it off in 1.8.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Rutibex posted:

It would be in Microsoft's best interest to allow modders to continue, and have mod's sold as DLC on their console. Modder gets a cut, Microsoft gets a cut. Everyone but the end user is happy.

How they could/would translate this to the PC version though, I'm not sure.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'd have to play a console version to know, my 8 year old cousin loves the 360 version for some reason though, so I guess that's their target audience. He has a PC account, but hasn't played much and didn't even know how to play beyond 1.4 until I updated his launcher and got him on 1.7.10. It's kinda weird having this 24 year age gap and sharing something in common like a game.

Tycho from Penny Arcade pointed this out. And he's in a position most goons aren't, having young children and being around them often enough to see: minecraft is everything to kids today. It's their Super Mario. In Tycho's words, microsoft bought a generation. I think he's very correct in that assessment.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Archo posted:

I'm proceeding with caution on this front. Right now I'm worried about shoring things up a bit. Polish what we have, lock 1.7.10 down. Zeldo is working on ducts again, so those will hopefully be out sooner rather than later.

Possibly looking into t-shirt designs.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57416963/MCShirt/Front8.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57416963/MCShirt/Back8.png

These were way too big to just post obnoxiously in the thread.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

KingLemming posted:

I'm proceeding with caution on this front. Right now I'm worried about shoring things up a bit. Polish what we have, lock 1.7.10 down. Zeldo is working on ducts again, so those will hopefully be out sooner rather than later.

I laughed at the flux one....

God I'm such a loving nerd.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

KingLemming posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of that shirt.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

I wouldn't pay for an MC mod. I certainly wouldn't pay for a dev build of an MC mod (consdering how buggy most MC mods are at "release", what's the difference?). The people who are "donating" for this are pants on head retarded.

http://www.patreon.com/xcompwiz

Go down to the $25 tier, XCW basically outs himself as asking for money for special builds of his mod.

I'd gladly pay (a small amount, say $10 or so) for a modpack (a la NST or Modderation, or even Luddite and Progress) for the effort it takes to put them together, keep them updated, and hosted. Preferably a portion of this money would automagically be apportioned out to the mod authors' (Patreon/whatever link embedded in the modinfo file from their mod, so they say where the money goes and split it amongst themselves, if more than one author/contributor) sites. This way, the one(s) putting modpacks together get money to help, the mod author(s) get help, and we only optionally pay/donate for the packaged 'end content', as it were. The Technic Platform, with it's Mod List and such from Solder, could probably put all this together fairly quickly, for mods that add a supported link into their modinfo. Everyone wins!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Serifina posted:

The console/mobile versions aren't done in Java, as far as I know, so the mod must be significantly reworked to work with the new code, assuming it's even possible at all. One of the things that makes modding for Minecraft so popular is the fact that it's in Java.

Rewritten. If the console versions don't have a JVM, exactly zero percent of a PC mod's source code is usable.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Personally I'm glad that a game that has real potential will now invariably have immense resources behind it. Mojang's business model of spending years patching Notch's duct-tape and bubblegum Mir space station of a game while adding token content nobody wanted with a minuscule staff has been awful. They've looked incompetent and seemingly succeeded in spite of themselves. It was high time somebody with resources and ambition bought it or poured the resources into developing something superior to killing it.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Don't underestimate the willingness of people to shell out money for a product that they believe will work without any fuss or hassle. Also don't underestimate the willingness of Microsoft, longtime makers of obscure PC software such as "Windows," to focus on a PC (or at least Windows OS) market.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Synnr posted:

To anyone playing the End of Light pack, do your sugar cane grow at all? I transplanted some I found and they don't seem to want to grow at all. Does growthcraft or something change their requirements and I missed it?

Also uh...do meteors actually fall? I've seen a spotlight for that falling meteors mod but I have yet to see anything on my map that looks like a crater. Is there a visual indicator in the sky you can watch for so you know ones coming or what?

Sugarcane grows fastest in Swamp and Jungle biomes. You can see what biome each seed/plant likes via the tooltip. You can still grow cane in other biomes, it just takes a long time to grow. It also seems to grow faster on sand.

As for meteors, it was a long time before any fell at all in my game, and that's a good thing- you need to get a pick that can mine a meteor before you can make a meteor shield, and before then one might land on your base. Comet kitties in particular are notorious for destroying bases. Once the meteors started falling I had one fall every night, and I found a few within walking distance. So just wait, they will come. Meteor armor and tools are great, by the way.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I hadn't realized that ThermalExpansion was a goonmod. This explains why it is both reasonable and fun.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Synnr posted:

When I was playing Hexxit, it generally went:

1. Hear crazy explosion
2. Walk around until I see something on overhead map that looks like it got blasted with a shotgun

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

I hadn't realized that ThermalExpansion was a goonmod. This explains why it is both reasonable and fun.

It's... kindof buggy right now though. The client sometimes disagrees with the server about what items you can put in what machines, and tesseracts are really bad at sending energy and fluid properly. They send it erratically, making it very difficult to get the correct throughput on them.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

When I was playing Hexxit, it generally went:

1. Hear crazy explosion
2. Walk around until I see something on overhead map that looks like it got blasted with a shotgun

Oh yeah and there's a meteor compass type thing, and a meteor timer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

McFrugal posted:

It's... kindof buggy right now though. The client sometimes disagrees with the server about what items you can put in what machines, and tesseracts are really bad at sending energy and fluid properly. They send it erratically, making it very difficult to get the correct throughput on them.

This actually reminds me, how do dimensional transceivers from EIO compare to 'racts? Good transfer rates on power/items/fluid, configurability, etc?

(edit) New EIO question, I just noticed that its bundle-able conduits include ME conduits. Does that work at all with respect to channels in AE2? If so, does it carry 8 or 32?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 16, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

This actually reminds me, how do dimensional transceivers from EIO compare to 'racts? Good transfer rates on power/items/fluid, configurability, etc?

(edit) New EIO question, I just noticed that its bundle-able conduits include ME conduits. Does that work at all with respect to channels in AE2? If so, does it carry 8 or 32?

The transceivers are functional but they're not as good as tesseracts right now. Supposedly CrazyPants is planning to rework them which would be cool, but that could be a while.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

McFrugal posted:

The version in Tekkit, at least, is working a-ok for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Synnr posted:

I've had a lot of trouble finding meteors, myself. You can't build a meteor-finder until you actually find a meteor first, which seems counter-intuitive, and the only meteor crash I've been able to find so far is a Freezarite meteor. The other problem is that Ars Magica meteors make a similar crashing noise when they fall. Just check the map from time to time and look for weird spots where there was nothing before.
As for sugar cane I assume it's gotten really slow, like all the other crops, but it probably requires direct sunlight now, just in case you don't have that already.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

McFrugal posted:

Uh...what?

Here we go again. 1.6.4 or 1.7.10? This is once again the first I've ever heard of it. We have an issue tracker located at
https://github.com/CoFH/ThermalExpansion/issues

Please make use of it. Seriously, nobody has ever reported either of those things, nor have any of us devs seen it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I'm not sure why people are saying modders should be banging on MC's door to get their mods on console versions, it's not like with the PC version, they use completely different code from my understanding. You'd have to port it over to the specific console version in question, it's a lot more involved and would require developers on Mojang's end to do the porting, which means Microsoft would likely claim any, if not all, money made from it as a DLC.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Does smelting down tracks in Tinker's Construct bug out the game or anything? I tried smelting golden apples with rather crashtacular results earlier and I want to be sure THIS won't do the same.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 17, 2014

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gerdalti posted:

It would be in Microsoft's best interest to allow modders to continue, and have mod's sold as DLC on their console. Modder gets a cut, Microsoft gets a cut. Everyone but the end user is happy.

How they could/would translate this to the PC version though, I'm not sure.

No it's not. Microsoft pays their coders by the hour not in royalties. If a DLC is really popular they would make a lot more money making it in house. It also gives them control; they don't want a bunch of whiny babies making GBS threads up their DLC marketplace with their drama and constant rebalances.

Not to meantion porting Java to the console version would be just as much work as just coding it themselves.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
I also don't think that most consoles would be able to run a lot of mods very well. I mean, could you imagine a 360 trying to run even a third of your average tech modpack? It would burst into flames.

Console Minecraft also plays by much different rules including limitations on overall world data size as well as the physical size of the world.

On top of that, you have of course having to recode the mods into, what was it C#?, then build in compatibility with every other mod on top of that.

Between limitations for the actual console version and then the headache of trying to get mods to function correctly, it just wouldn't really be worth it.

There is also the argument that in comparison to total number of actual players running the game, the number of which who install mods is only a small chunk of that, so there is are argument that the effort wouldn't match the potential market, especially when you could get the mods for free (and by god if people started selling their mods for PC I almost guarantee we will start to see a war of ripping off the most popular mod and selling it at an undercut or people who just rip off the most popular mods and release them for free, or just plain mod "piracy") where they would be able to arguably function better, have more variety and options as well as not have to deal with the limitations of the console game.

VVVVV

Yes, but that would mean that they would be only tapping into a singular portion of the console market, which makes the potential sales even less. It also doesn't address the other issues with putting mods on console version. Also I thought that the Xbone didn't have the full 8 gigs to play with and that a lot of it was tied into the stupid OS situation they put on it (I don't know much about the Bone, I don't buy consoles).

Enzer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 17, 2014

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Enzer posted:

I also don't think that most consoles would be able to run a lot of mods very well. I mean, could you imagine a 360 trying to run even a third of your average tech modpack? It would burst into flames.

Console Minecraft also plays by much different rules including limitations on overall world data size as well as the physical size of the world.

Xbox One has 8GB of RAM. More than enough for whatever DLC mods they plan to clone in Minecraft 2.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Enzer posted:

(and by god if people started selling their mods for PC I almost guarantee we will start to see a war of ripping off the most popular mod and selling it at an undercut or people who just rip off the most popular mods and release them for free, or just plain mod "piracy")

The bolded is exactly what would happen, unless modders stared writing "whitelists" somehow into mods, which would reguire the player's UUID in every instance. It'd be possible to do, have the whitelist online, when you buy the mod it adds your UUID to that database and when you start the game with the mod, it checks to see if your UUID is on the list. Not sure how that'd work with SMP, but that's doable.

Otherwise, yeah, nothing to stop someone buying a copy, then just uploading it and giving it out. As I've said, the majority of modders would be able to do little more than have a Cease and Desist sent with no real funds to do anything beyond that. I've found with a lot of people in the modding community that there's some impression that someone will just defend their works pro bono because JUSTICE!

Also, someone might have contacted Mojang and asked their take on the whole giving beta access for X amount per month on Patreon, surprise surprise when they replied and said it's a violation of EULA, no charging for mods at all ever, no exceptions.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 17, 2014

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
In terms of minecraft on PC's this could be a lovely development because microsoft wants everyone to use tablets and phones and maybe sometimes an XBONE but no one actually bought one of them. But there is a chance they won't be their normal lovely self and we could get an actual stable, feature filled, pretty game. A small chance.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

In terms of minecraft on PC's this could be a lovely development because microsoft wants everyone to use tablets and phones and maybe sometimes an XBONE but no one actually bought one of them. But there is a chance they won't be their normal lovely self and we could get an actual stable, feature filled, pretty game. A small chance.

No one is going to buy a lovely windows phone/tablet just to get Minecraft. The lack of Minecraft has never been an issue in their sales figures, it's just that they're very lacklustre and the UI is blurrrrgggh.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

The bolded is exactly what would happen, unless modders stared writing "whitelists" somehow into mods, which would reguire the player's UUID in every instance. It'd be possible to do, have the whitelist online, when you buy the mod it adds your UUID to that database and when you start the game with the mod, it checks to see if your UUID is on the list. Not sure how that'd work with SMP, but that's doable.

Otherwise, yeah, nothing to stop someone buying a copy, then just uploading it and giving it out. As I've said, the majority of modders would be able to do little more than have a Cease and Desist sent with no real funds to do anything beyond that. I've found with a lot of people in the modding community that there's some impression that someone will just defend their works pro bono because JUSTICE!

Also, someone might have contacted Mojang and asked their take on the whole giving beta access for X amount per month on Patreon, surprise surprise when they replied and said it's a violation of EULA, no charging for mods at all ever, no exceptions.

Ahahaha, amazing. It is also what I thought as well. Think someone at Mojang needs to make just a little announcement of "Hey guys, just as a reminder doing X is still as always against the EULA".

Like, personally I am perfectly fine with mod developers getting donations, nothing against that at all and I've personally been gifted with free games over steam for the texture and coding work I do for the server I help out with, I also think that the modding community could use patreon as a platform to help them set aside time for actually being able to work on mods. The issue is that none of them seem to do that and instead run things against the nature and intention of the site or directly against the EULA for the game they mod.

I'm pretty sure you could trace back the first mod dev to use patreon, look at how they set their stuff up, and see how everyone else copied that style and then progressed more towards the retarded accounts that are nearly as bad as some of the poo poo some servers pull. :v:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Enzer posted:

[...] The issue is that none of them seem to do that and instead run things against the nature and intention of the site or directly against the EULA for the game they mod.

Lots of them do, but much like many things, this thread focuses on the bad and then forgets that there's any good. There are definitely people who abuse it, but the amount that abuse it is vastly outnumbered by the amount that don't.

n00n3r
Jun 18, 2012

KingLemming posted:

Yes, I would pay money for that shirt as well. Please say it's becoming a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Taffer posted:

Lots of them do, but much like many things, this thread focuses on the bad and then forgets that there's any good. There are definitely people who abuse it, but the amount that abuse it is vastly outnumbered by the amount that don't.

I should amend it to none of those that I have seen, out of like five, fall into the category I described.

My whole discussion on this is that its a situation that should be nipped at as early as possible before the bad outnumbers the good because, as discussed, systems like patreon are more susceptible to bad behavior like intentionally slowing development and throwing more active "beta" releases under a paywall. I'm not trying to forget the good in the community, its just that the good in the community fall outside what we are discussing. :)

I am incredibly glad that the majority of the community isn't crazy in this regard, the last thing the modding community needs is more toxic aspects to itself, but I'll still express concern with the groups who are, especially when they are tied to larger mods like Mystcraft and the like.

Sorry if I haven't been expressing my point of view very clearly, I do not mean to make it sound as narrow sighted and doom and gloom as I make it to be. :P

• Locked thread