Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I never recovered any money. In the most short-sighted sense, I cost the company lots of money, since paying wages and taxes is expensive, although probably a lot cheaper than litigation and fees in the long-term. I have no idea how much money I saved due to litigation avoidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Your job isn't to make your old company look good and people recruiting for compliance positions understand what the job entails. Just be honest about what you did.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Ok, here's what I currently have on my resume for that job:

- Accounting functions including: balancing taxable wages, account research and reconciliation, identifying and correcting errors in payroll databases, posting journal entries, and special projects as needed.
- Auditing payroll accounts to ensure compliance with company policies and state and federal labor laws.
- Filing federal work-site wage compliance reports and auditing tax accrual accounts for discrepancies in reported and accrued taxes payable.
- Assisting internal investigations of wage and timeclock fraud complaints.

After reading he OP, I thought I could do something like this:

- Accounting functions including: balancing taxable wages, reconciling payroll cash accounts, identifying and correcting errors in payroll databases, account research and reconciliation, posting journal entries, and special projects as needed. Identified and corrected over $37,000 in journal entry errors in payroll cash accounts.
- Auditing payroll accounts to ensure compliance with company policies and state and federal labor laws. Identified 19 instances of (possible?) timeclock fraud (mistakes? noncompliance?) while assisting internal investigations.
- Filing federal work-site wage compliance reports and auditing tax accrual accounts for discrepancies in reported and accrued taxes payable. Identified and corrected over $180,000 in taxable wage withholding errors.

None of the incidents I identified ever made it to any labor relations boards. They were pretty obviously the managers stealing hours from employees to keep their expenses down, but I'm not sure how diplomatic to be about it, since officially I'm sure they're regarded as "mistakes."

Thanks for all the help, you guys!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Quick question; my job title has changed since I was originally hired, although the work is fundamentally the same. On my resume should I list all the titles separately with date ranges, or just the one I'm currently employed under? Pretty sure it's the latter but wanted to check.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
How do I answer an interview question like: "Why are you leaving your current position/industry"?

A little bit of background here, I've been working in wine retail for roughly 11 years now with two different companies over that span. I started as a delivery driver knowing nothing about wine and I'm now a certified sommelier / head wine buyer of a retail outlet. The money has never been great (I'm currently salaried at 35k) but I'm passionate about wine and it's been fun to be around it every day while working.

A few months ago, we had a bit of a restructuring within the company and I'm now incredibly overworked with way too many things to worry about. The last few weeks in particular have been miserable, which makes me want to get the hell out. My boss (the GM) can't do anything about this because the owners are insanely hands-on, crazy and self-absorbed (the stories I could tell.........). I was also told by one of the owners that they can't afford to hire new staff :rolleyes:

Getting a comparable wine buying job locally is virtually impossible which means I need to find a position outside the industry. Seeing my resume, it's clear that I have a passion for wine so an interviewer will likely be wondering why I'm applying for a purchasing job at a manufacturing plant or wherever.

I know it's bad form to badmouth your current employer to a prospective employer, so what do I say if I'm asked why I'm leaving the wine retail industry? Is something like "I'm customer service oriented but the culture at my current job views customers as an inconvenience" appropriate? I can expand on why I feel this way if necessary but I still feel like this is a bad idea. Would a generic "I'm looking for new challenges" be better?

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 12, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
"I feel that I've accomplished all that I could professionally and personally within the limits of my current organization, and as I want to expand my horizons without relocating I feel that it's best to seek opportunities outside of my current industry."

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
And then follow that up with why you want to work in the industry you're applying to/that particular company.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Thanks guys, that sounds good to me :)

What an oddly cathartic post I just wrote, I really need a new job :(

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
If you get what looks to be a really nice offer as a contractor, with a company that typically hires contractors as full-time employees before their time is up, can I expect my pay rate to convert to an equivalent yearly salary? Or will they do the math and say "you were being compensated for all this extra poo poo here (vacation, healthcare, etc), and now that we're giving it to you we're not paying you for it anymore"?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

jackpot posted:

If you get what looks to be a really nice offer as a contractor, with a company that typically hires contractors as full-time employees before their time is up, can I expect my pay rate to convert to an equivalent yearly salary? Or will they do the math and say "you were being compensated for all this extra poo poo here (vacation, healthcare, etc), and now that we're giving it to you we're not paying you for it anymore"?

Pretty much always the latter

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Yeah, I kinda figured.

Avellon
Feb 19, 2011
I'm a college student majoring in accounting and have an internship fair coming up. I'm trying to get an internship with a public accounting firm if possible. Could anyone offer any suggestions about my current resume? I'm not sure if i should add more to the personal summary or what I should be concentrating on. Thanks a lot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sfc9m7wg4ypt4e/AvellonResume.docx?dl=0

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Avellon posted:

I'm a college student majoring in accounting and have an internship fair coming up. I'm trying to get an internship with a public accounting firm if possible. Could anyone offer any suggestions about my current resume? I'm not sure if i should add more to the personal summary or what I should be concentrating on. Thanks a lot.

Doesn't look too bad. How many VITA returns did you process?

Delete "versatile and analytical", it just.. sounds bad.

Are you part of any other clubs other than your frat? May want to list that if so.

Avellon
Feb 19, 2011
OK, thanks for the advice. I'm not really sure on the number of returns processed. Probably around 20-25 or so over the tax season. It was a few hours a week volunteer thing. Is that relevant information to include? This is actually my first semester at the university so I'm only really involved with the accounting frat and accounting society.

Avellon fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 16, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My company just posted a permanent job opening that is exactly what I do now as a contractor. I'm only 2 months in to my 6 month contract, can I apply for it and bail from my contract if I get it? Will that burn bridges with my recruiter?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Do some recruiters, hiring mangers, ect make fake facebook account to try and see if there is something incriminating on your page? Probably just a coincidence, but I've been getting a lot more obviously fake requests in the last few months since I started mass applying.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Avellon posted:

Here's a very simple critique. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Hey guys, I posted in this thread a few months ago:

Pron on VHS posted:

There doesn't seem to be a general job search thread so I am posting this here, I can move it to a better thread if someone wants:

In 2006 I was convicted of misdemeanor assault and battery for a bad bar fight, in a rural county of Virginia. I was terrified of my parents finding out so I did not ask them for financial help in getting a lawyer, and went with a public defender and was found guilty. Spent 4 days in jail and 2 years on probation. That is my only criminal offense. I am now 29 and I am applying to a few government jobs. They don't require any security clearance but do background checks. Will this be a dealbreaker? And for private companies, will they even spot this on background checks?

I have been marking 'No' when asked if I have been convicted of a crime. I know that is lying but I am certain if I say yes the application is going in the trash, so I'd rather risk a little lie and hope I pass the background check. The government jobs have not asked this question on the application.

So for an update: Today I received an offer letter from a private consulting company. It's contingent on a background check, which is done by American Background Sterling, which asks for a SSN, so they will find my misdemeanor assault charge in seconds. The HR lady who gave my the offer letter told me it takes about a week to be done.

My question is: would it be smart to call the person in charge of hiring me, and tell them about my misdemeanor before they get the results of the background check? This would let me tell my story and explain how it was a long time ago and I am changed, etc., before they see it and reject me outright without asking for an explanation.

Also, the application for this job did not ask at any point if I have been charged/convicted of a crime, so I have not lied at all. The background check company will send me a form to fill out where they will ask me questions and I will answer them all 100% truthfully.

One more thing: I have a really faint, desperate shred of hope that my misdemeanor may not show in a background check, and that is because the county court system has the wrong birthdate for me. The month is correct but the day is off. So who knows? Maybe I should just not say anything.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 16, 2014

Avellon
Feb 19, 2011

DustingDuvet posted:

Here's a very simple critique. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for the advise. As far as the community college, I transferred and my current university's transfer policy is that your GPA basically resets so I won't have an official GPA at the university til the end of this semester. In a situation like that should I leave the community college transfer GPA on, or just put the GPA with the university?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
EDIT: I'll take it to E/N.

Grouco fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 17, 2014

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Grouco posted:

Anyone else get super depressed when looking for job?

Yes. Not suicidal but definitely panic attack territory. I'm thankful I have a job now though, so at least I don't have to worry about money. Feels quite hopeless at times.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Maybe I should just not say anything.
I'd wait and see what the smart people in the thread think, but my gut says you ought to get in front of this thing and let them know what's coming. Four days in jail isn't something you can say you thought didn't count, and so when they find out (and they're definitely gonna find out) it's liable to look like you tried to sneak it past them. There's a lot of growing up that happens between 21 and 29 - owning up to your past mistakes is a good way to prove it.

I need to stress, though, that I know loving nothing. Bisty Q or someone like that could say the complete opposite, for all I know.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
After an initial phone interview, a two week wait, an hour technical interview and an hour behavioral interview...

quote:

Sorry for the delay but we've been working around the clock to meet a deadline and I only now found the time to write you this email. After careful consideration, we decided to offer the position we have to another candidate with a bit more experience."

:smithicide:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Liam Emsa posted:

After an initial phone interview, a two week wait, an hour technical interview and an hour behavioral interview...

Two phone interviews and an all-day paid-trip interview. I was told to expect an email with yes or no this week :ohdear:

Salmanilla
Dec 21, 2012
Hey guys, I am beginning my job search after graduating with an MS in chemistry, and a cover letter is something I have never done before, and I also feel that my writing skills are in need of improvement. Below is a link to a cover letter I have put together based on the advice from this thread and general google searches. I would appreciate if anyone could read it over and provide some much needed feedback, thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6de9y0r2pc75ske/Cover%20Letter%20v2.docx?dl=0

Below is also a link to the job that I am tailoring this cover letter for.

http://jobs.ecolab.com/job/Naperville-Chemist-I-Job-IL-60540/218159200/

E: I received comments elsewhere for my cover letter and it's drastically different now from what I linked here. No need for anyone to read it now.

Salmanilla fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 18, 2014

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

jackpot posted:

I'd wait and see what the smart people in the thread think, but my gut says you ought to get in front of this thing and let them know what's coming. Four days in jail isn't something you can say you thought didn't count, and so when they find out (and they're definitely gonna find out) it's liable to look like you tried to sneak it past them. There's a lot of growing up that happens between 21 and 29 - owning up to your past mistakes is a good way to prove it.

I need to stress, though, that I know loving nothing. Bisty Q or someone like that could say the complete opposite, for all I know.

I went this morning and explained the charge and conviction to my hopefully-future boss. She seemed reassuring but also didn't say anything like "its not a big deal". I came home and got the background check details, and found out it only goes back 7 years (assault conviction was 7 years and 4 months ago).

Still a bit nervous that it may pop anyways, but it would be funny if I admitted to a crime to my new boss without ever needing to.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

I went this morning and explained the charge and conviction to my hopefully-future boss. She seemed reassuring but also didn't say anything like "its not a big deal". I came home and got the background check details, and found out it only goes back 7 years (assault conviction was 7 years and 4 months ago).

Still a bit nervous that it may pop anyways, but it would be funny if I admitted to a crime to my new boss without ever needing to.

You did the right thing by disclosing. It may come back, and if it does, you got out in front of it and solved the problem. If you didn't mention it and it DID come back, you would've had your offer rescinded.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My company just posted a permanent job opening that is exactly what I do now as a contractor. I'm only 2 months in to my 6 month contract, can I apply for it and bail from my contract if I get it? Will that burn bridges with my recruiter?

Why don't you speak to the company about this? It's possible that the recruiter will get a large fee if you move from contract work to permanent work but no harm in asking someone if you'd be interested imo

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Can I get a critique on this resume? Thanks.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Liam Emsa posted:

You are likely to date a supermodel and become rich beyond your wildest dreams. Congrats.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Liam Emsa posted:

I can't figure out if you've been in prison or the NFL for the past 15 years.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery

Liam Emsa posted:

Just did this with 5 loving phone interviews over 2 weeks where different people all asked the same questions and an hour long in-person interview.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Why don't you speak to the company about this? It's possible that the recruiter will get a large fee if you move from contract work to permanent work but no harm in asking someone if you'd be interested imo

I asked the bossman and he's looking into it. I'd really like to go permanent for more job security and exciting things like paid time off.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Liam Emsa posted:

As a matter of fact you may!

http://resumetointerviews.com/2014/09/tom-brady-shares-pre-nfl-job-resume/

sheneedstherapy
May 18, 2006

Lines secure... space duck
I have a question for the HR/hiring manager folks in the thread. I know it can probably vary from company to company and person to person, but generally speaking, how many candidates would you typically call for the first round of interviews? And by the time you're at the second or third interview, how many people are you generally down to at that point?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Probably depends on the company, but my old company would only bring in people they were prepared to give offers to based on their application and only didn't extend an offer to people who blew it in the interview or seemed like people who wouldn't fit in with the company culture despite their qualifications. So, not many. I think they interviewed 3-5 for each open position.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Haven't been on the hiring end, but based on my interviews it goes:

1st round/phone: People whose resumes make the cut and say the right things. Possibly quite a lot of candidates at this point. Ask some relevant questions, make sure candidate isn't lying about their qualifications and skills. This is A Thing That Happens, I don't know how often, but I do know a guy who did it. There's a reason these are called phone screens.

2nd round: People who passed the first round and do in fact seem to know what the gently caress they're talking about. Some stress testing, mostly just to find out how you work. Sometimes this is the final round, sometimes it goes further.

final round: Basically always in person, and depending on the exact job may be an all-day interview where they pay for your travel and lodging and food while you're there. Rarely going to be more than a scant handful per position.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
I've been looking for work for over a year after exiting academia. Strongly considering altering my resume so that it shows me as having gotten my Masters degree this year instead of last so I don't have an inexplicable year-long gap on my resume. Can pass it off as a typo if I get called on it, once I get in the door (I've had literally one in person interview and two phone screens in the probably 50+ jobs i've applied for, just getting in the door to talk to anyone is my goal at this point). Terrible idea y/n?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Nerokerubina posted:

inexplicable

Are you sure there's no way you can put a positive spin on anything you've done the past year? Any research, consulting, part-time work, volunteering, anything like that? I feel like the year long gap does look bad, and I really don't think anyone in this thread is going to tell you that lying is a good idea, for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

I've been looking for work for over a year after exiting academia. Strongly considering altering my resume so that it shows me as having gotten my Masters degree this year instead of last so I don't have an inexplicable year-long gap on my resume. Can pass it off as a typo if I get called on it, once I get in the door (I've had literally one in person interview and two phone screens in the probably 50+ jobs i've applied for, just getting in the door to talk to anyone is my goal at this point). Terrible idea y/n?

Absolutely terrible. Have you been doing anything this past year?

Also, post your resume, get some more constructive tips than "don't have a year gap, don't lie".