Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not little brother. It's pretty much ethnic hatred. We all hate Penn State and Midwesterners in general, but don't really give a poo poo about any other teams.

But nobody gives a poo poo in return. You just come off as a yappy little terrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Sash! posted:

If Heinz Field is a dump, then FedEx is a festering blight upon the Earth

Sash is right about something.

I went to see a Nats game when they were still at RFK which is actually falling apart and it didn't feel as lovely as FedEx. I guess that it helps that RFK is in the city itself and that adds some charm to it. Instead at FedEx you go out to Prince George's County to something where only the stadium is and deal with traffic and this giant boring rear end monolith. It's boring as poo poo and bad.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Declan MacManus posted:

This is my rationale. Granted KState will have no problem defending the option in theory (they ain't afraid of misdirection, bitch) but I think Auburn as a team is just bigger, faster, and generally better at football than Kansas State and no amount of Snyder wizardry is going to fix that
You'll find that your belief that Snyder wizardry won't be able to overcome that kind of athletic advantage is actually a product of Snyder wizardry.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

How is Mauk not from Cape Girardeau or something?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You'll find that your belief that Snyder wizardry won't be able to overcome that kind of athletic advantage is actually a product of Snyder wizardry.

< I believe

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

In this case, I'm going to as well.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Heaf posted:

Sash is right about something.

I went to see a Nats game when they were still at RFK which is actually falling apart and it didn't feel as lovely as FedEx. I guess that it helps that RFK is in the city itself and that adds some charm to it. Instead at FedEx you go out to Prince George's County to something where only the stadium is and deal with traffic and this giant boring rear end monolith. It's boring as poo poo and bad.

I've been to FedEx a few times and have zero memories of what it was like between the parking lot and the seat. Every other stadium I can remember details of the concourses and stuff. Nothing at that one.

I remember the long hike from whatever Metro station that was and all the bucket drummers and people selling bottles of water out of coolers.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
2 amusing stories I heard the other day:

- Petrino called Beamer a motherfucker after the '05 Gator Bowl(Vick stomp game). Frank laughed it off as he is wont to do.

- Lane Kiffin tried to call out Bud Foster on the field after the '09 Peach Bowl.

Just think you guys, we were this close to having no Kiffin in our lives :allears:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mahoning posted:

I just wanna say that the last two college football games I've gone to have been at NFL stadiums and college football sucks at NFL stadiums.

Bowl games at NFL stadiums rule. Regular season games at NFL seasons tend to be terrible.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hey guys, a bit off topic, but have your university presidential candidates, the finalists specifically, in the past spoken to your faculty, students, etc., on stage about how evolution doesn't exist and denied global warming? I'm pretty sure that's not normal but I want to be sure.

I know that my university's new chancellor is named William McRaven. :smugbert:

we're both talking about the same university, aren't we? :smith:

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

This is perfect. Peak Richt.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don't enjoy games at Jerryworld all that much. The stadium feels like a performance art piece dedicated to money [more so than most football stadiums already are]

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ACoolT5 posted:

This is perfect. Peak Richt.

My favorite part is you can see his accent :allears:

I was trying to find a gif of that insane Gurley run, just gonna have to find it on youtube and gif it myself. Really, it was awesome. 3 and 14? Give Gurley the rock and run the drat ball.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don't enjoy games at Jerryworld all that much. The stadium feels like a performance art piece dedicated to money [more so than most football stadiums already are]

I've actually enjoyed the Baylor - Tech games at cowboys stadium. Maybe it's that I like watching those teams play, but I never felt that the stadium detracted from the game. I've sat in lower bowl, owners suite and upper bowl and enjoyed all three of the games I've been to.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I've actually enjoyed the Baylor - Tech games at cowboys stadium. Maybe it's that I like watching those teams play, but I never felt that the stadium detracted from the game. I've sat in lower bowl, owners suite and upper bowl and enjoyed all three of the games I've been to.

I dunno. I've liked those games well enough, but I'm not sure I've liked them enough to warrant losing a home game every other year.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

My favorite part is you can see his accent :allears:

I was trying to find a gif of that insane Gurley run, just gonna have to find it on youtube and gif it myself. Really, it was awesome. 3 and 14? Give Gurley the rock and run the drat ball.

It was an objectively awful playcall too: a weak-side off tackle handoff that developed incredibly slowly

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

euphronius posted:

Pittsburg State is in Kansas, of course.

poo poo yeah it is.

3rd round receiver, John Brown, also went to Pitt State.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Dr. Pangloss posted:

It's funny, most Baylor fans are actually really concerned about this game. Ames is a frightening place for Baylor fans.

Im scared of every away game, iowa state especially. And some home games too. Probably the only baylor game that isnt worrying is kansas at home, so well prob lose that one now

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I dunno. I've liked those games well enough, but I'm not sure I've liked them enough to warrant losing a home game every other year.

I liked them but would probably rather have a home game. But that also means we need to play at lubbock which sucks.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

But nobody gives a poo poo in return. You just come off as a yappy little terrier.

I don't hate Rutgers, I hate Delaney for inviting Rutgers to the Big Ten. It's not your fault If some rear end in a top hat drives over to your house with a dumptruck full of money and forces you to take it. I don't care about Maryland, because now that the Big Ten is the new ACC we may as well embrace it.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State is playing at M&T in Baltimore against Maryland next year unsurprisingly. I'll probably go, but I'm sure there won't be much of a college atmosphere. It will however probably be majority Penn State fans.

Penn State played Indiana in FedEx a few years ago. I didn't go, but I even hated the experience of watching the game on TV there. The sound seemed so muted.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

anne frank fanfic posted:

I liked them but would probably rather have a home game. But that also means we need to play at lubbock which sucks.

Exactly. I'd love to have a home / neutral series, but as a resident of the metroplex, I'll take having a game I can drive 20 minutes to every year, even if it's not the ideal stadium and even if we're outnumbered by a bit every year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Please reference Presbyterian College at Wake Forest for how to run a trick play.

It's hilarious that a guy played dead on that play and was just ignored by Miami, as would any competent defense.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Mahoning posted:

The worst part is, in addition to the Notre Dame Pitt game at Heinz Field last season, then the Notre Dame Purdue game at Lucas Oil on Saturday, I'll probably be attending the Notre Dame Navy game at FedEx Field in November.

It starts out like this: you say you only smoke when you're drunk; then you add with coffee into the mix. Pretty soon you find yourself watching the tv through the window because Tommy Rees is starting and you need to calm your nerves. How many Notre Dame games can you attend until you're a fan?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I"d been waiting to post this in response to Mourningview bitching about the game but since he's apparently pretending college football doesn't exist, this is one of my favorite things to come out of this weekend.

which became this once the game ended

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 16, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Speaking of Iowa State, this is amazing http://www.cyclones.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=209653696

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

They sell DVDs of all the games, win or lose, with that exact same content.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This needs more love because it's the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

anne frank fanfic posted:

It makes sense to have a yearly neutral site game in today's big XII because you are able to pull off the 6 game home schedule. 2 non conference home games, 4 conference home games. All nice and balanced. Otherwise, it winds up sucking in years you have 4 conference home games and 5 away.

Baylor makes the most sense of anyone for TTU to have a neutral site game with now that A&M is in the SEC. I guess Oklahoma State in Dallas is the other option. I'd be ok with getting that game out of the black hole that is Boone Pickens stadium. TTU is really Baylor's best option as well, considering that TCU is far too close to even find a neutral site to play in.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thoguh posted:

They sell DVDs of all the games, win or lose, with that exact same content.

Yeah, Nebraska does this too. Did VHS's for many years prior. Somewhere I have one of the 2001 game against Baylor, because that's a thing I thought I'd want when I was 20 (Nebraska won 59-0)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mahoning posted:

The worst part is, in addition to the Notre Dame Pitt game at Heinz Field last season, then the Notre Dame Purdue game at Lucas Oil on Saturday, I'll probably be attending the Notre Dame Navy game at FedEx Field in November.

Although I will say this: LucasOil is a beautiful facility, just not a college football atmosphere at all.

However, Heinz Field is a dump, as is FedEx Field I'm sure.

What the hell. Heinz is a great place to watch a game. It's only lovely for Pitt games because, well, Pitt fans.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What the hell. Heinz is a great place to watch a game. It's only lovely for Pitt games because, well, Pitt fans.

I disagree. Last year I went to Pitt-Florida State on Labor Day followed by the Steelers home opener 6 days later. It still sucks. Steelers fans are loud and definitely make that place rock but the stadium itself is not really unique or nice at all.

Fake edit: this also means that the last THREE college games I went to were at NFL stadiums, forgot about Pitt-FSU. Saw Jameis Winston's first ever game. :smug:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If anyone wants to hear Dabo talk live about how badly we're gonna get beat by FSU on Saturday: http://www.clemsontigers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&id=1165292&catid=0&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=28500

:smith:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mahoning posted:

I disagree. Last year I went to Pitt-Florida State on Labor Day followed by the Steelers home opener 6 days later. It still sucks. Steelers fans are loud and definitely make that place rock but the stadium itself is not really unique or nice at all.

Fake edit: this also means that the last THREE college games I went to were at NFL stadiums, forgot about Pitt-FSU. Saw Jameis Winston's first ever game. :smug:

There's something decidedly wrong with you. It's a great place to watch a game.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's something decidedly wrong with you. It's a great place to watch a game.

He's a Notre Dame fan living in Ohio. So, yeah.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

He's a Notre Dame fan living in Ohio. So, yeah.

Well, there we have it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If I only I had the correct combination living location and college football team, my opinions about stadiums would be more valid.

:goonsay:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Mahoning posted:

If I only I had the correct combination living location and college football team, my opinions about stadiums would be more valid.

This is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thoguh posted:

I"d been waiting to post this in response to Mourningview bitching about the game but since he's apparently pretending college football doesn't exist, this is one of my favorite things to come out of this weekend.

which became this once the game ended

Ugh, I missed the game because I was camping in California, which was great, but I still missed the game. I've been gone for two weeks, so fittingly, I missed one heartbreaker loss to KSU, and one heart-stopping win against Iowa. Maybe ISU won't be god awful, just not-good this year. Dare I hope for 5 wins? Probably not.

• Locked thread