Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

old dog child posted:

Ah, I was looking for a post like this. My exact thoughts, brother... :eng99:

it's gonna own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Horsies are gonna beat those birds.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I wish I could believe. But since it's in Seattle, I'm not hopeful. Speaking of... where is the match-ups week 3 thread?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mind_Taker posted:

The defense is currently ranked #1 in yards allowed,

I love early season stats for their pure weirdness based on who they've played.

The Patriots have the best pass defense in the league, the Bears are 4th. The Seahawks are 27th.

The Texans are allowing 5.8 yards per rushing attempt.

The Bengals are averaging almost 10 yards per pass attempt.

The Seahawks are the worst defense on 3rd down currently. The Eagles are the best.

The Buccaneers have assigned 118 tackles on plays. The Ravens, 68. Both have played ~125 defensive snaps. (I presume the other 50 were assigned to Ray Lewis)

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Rooster Brooster posted:

I wish I could believe. But since it's in Seattle, I'm not hopeful. Speaking of... where is the match-ups week 3 thread?

I'll make one if all you have to do is use the image from this thread's OP

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lazerbeam posted:

I'll make one if all you have to do is use the image from this thread's OP

Do it.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

It is done

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thanks!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Kalli posted:

The Bengals are averaging almost 10 yards per pass attempt.

The number is certainly a fluke but I don't really think the Bengals being at the top in YPA is going to turn out to be a fluke at all, the number of attempts for Dalton will be way down, a lot of his targets are very good at YAC and the low reliance on the passing game is going to open things up for the couple of times a game they take deep shots

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe getting rid of Gruden was a good thing.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

So the Bucs hosted the first ever NFL LGBT tailgate party at Raymond James last weekend and Wade Davis of You Can Play was in attendance.

My team may be complete dogshit on the field but I have to say this cheered me up a bit.

http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Bucs-Host-LGBT-Tailgate/8dde4937-d16c-467e-92f0-1778b3dd4d96

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Apparently he said it to a Bear who patted him on the chest, so it could be either. I'm guessing, "don't touch me, ______."

:siren: Cussgate 2014 :siren:

I hope Roger and the NFL do the right thing here and suspend him for at least a game.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Josh Gordon plead guilty to his DWI this morning. It is expected that at least 2 more games will be added to his suspension because of this.

Also
@NathanZegura
I can confirm that there will BE NO LOGOS on the @Browns helmets in conjunction with the uniform change that is coming in 2015

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 16, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Harlock posted:

Maybe getting rid of Gruden was a good thing.
It was.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Couple things.

1) JJ Watt for commissioner in 2024.

2) Evan and Phillips this morning had an interesting take: If Peyton Manning and Tom Brady actually got together, called a press conference, and called the league the players out on the domestic violence stuff, they could even implore sponsors to pull dollars until it was fixed. And no one could touch them. They are the two men who could get Goodell out of office faster than anyone.

Brady and Manning are like the two most vanilla corporate sports brands imaginable. They would never touch these issues with a ten foot pole. Also they really like money.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chris James 2 posted:

Also
@NathanZegura
I can confirm that there will BE NO LOGOS on the @Browns helmets in conjunction with the uniform change that is coming in 2015

Jesus, I had never even considered that possibility. I was just preparing myself for side panels and like orange numbers on white or some poo poo

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Manning is probably one of the most respected dudes in any sport. He does have a lot of power.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

NC-17 posted:

Brady and Manning are like the two most vanilla corporate sports brands imaginable. They would never touch these issues with a ten foot pole. Also they really like money.

Plus Manning might be thinking "I better just keep my mouth shut now otherwise I'm really gonna look like an ayehole if I ever drunkenly crash a Buick into a Papa John's location on 'Free Pizza for Orphans' day."

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Manning would probably see a sales bump in Papa John's immediately after doing so.

Can you imagine Peyton and Tom in front of a Papa John's backdrop, announcing their disdain for the current situation.

Two days later, Peyton announces that a dollar for every pizza sold at any Papa Johns will be donated to victims of domestic abuse.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Sen. Maria Cantwell introduces legislation to remove the NFL's non-profit status:

quote:

Lawmaker to introduce bill to end NFL’s tax-exempt status because of Redskins name

Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) announced Tuesday that she will introduce legislation to eliminate the NFL’s tax-exempt status because of its refusal to address the name of the Washington Redskins.

Flanked by several tribal chiefs, Cantwell, who chairs the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, condemned the team’s name as a slur against Native Americans.

“The NFL needs to join the rest of Americans in the 21st century,” she said. “It is about right and wrong.”

Cantwell made her remarks at a press conference called by a coalition of Native American and social justice groups leading the campaign against the Washington Redskins’ name.

The group is calling on the owners of the 31 other NFL teams to force fellow owner Dan Snyder to change the team’s moniker.

The group, Change the Mascot, which includes the National Congress of American Indians and the Oneida Indian Nation, is sending the NFL owners a letter arguing that league bylaws enable them to punish any owner or part-owner who is “guilty of conduct detrimental” to the sport.

“Clearly, Washington team owner Dan Snyder’s continued promotion of this racial slur represents such conduct,” reads the letter, signed by Ray Halbritter, the representative of the Oneida Indian Nation, and Brian Cladoosby, the president of NCAI. “Put simply, Mr. Snyder is jeopardizing the welfare of the league by promoting an epithet against people of color.”

The letter comes at a time when the league and its commissioner, Roger Goodell, are under intense fire for the way domestic violence cases against players Ray Rice and Greg Hardy were handled, along with child abuse charges against Adrian Peterson. But it is unclear whether it will have much effect.

Snyder has been insistent that he will not change the team’s name, arguing that the word “Redskins” is not a slur and that it’s meant to honor Native Americans. Goodell has voiced support for Snyder’s efforts to help Native Americans through a new foundation and noted that public polls show overwhelming support for the team’s name.

The letter is one of a series of new initiatives scheduled to be announced Tuesday afternoon at a news conference that will feature Rep. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D), and senior officials from the NAACP. In June, McCollum wrote one NFL owner herself — Zygi Wilf, the owner of the Minnesota Vikings. She argued that since all the NFL owners split sales of team merchandise, he is obligated to condemn Washington’s team name and pressure Snyder to change it.

In its letter, the Change the Mascot campaign argues that because the NFL enjoys tax-exempt status and antitrust exemptions, team owners have a duty to ensure that “taxpayer resources are no longer being expended to promote this slur.”

“The NFL’s continued promotion of this racial slur is not just about one particular team. The league is promoting this racial slur with the resources of every team, including yours, which makes it a league-wide crisis,” the letter reads.

In May, 50 members of the U.S. Senate, all Democrats, wrote letters to Goodell asking him to advocate for the Redskins to change the team’s name.

None of the public pressure has had an impact on Snyder, including a recent decision by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to strip the team of its Redskins trademarks because it found the name offensive to a sizable proportion of Native Americans. Snyder currently is appealing that ruling in federal court.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Manning would probably see a sales bump in Papa John's immediately after doing so.

Can you imagine Peyton and Tom in front of a Papa John's backdrop, announcing their disdain for the current situation.

Two days later, Peyton announces that a dollar for every pizza sold at any Papa Johns will be donated to victims of domestic abuse.
*cut to the boardroom at DiGiorno. everyone has their head in their hands, except the CEO, who slowly raises a gun to his chin.*

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Josh Gordon plead guilty to a DUI today, which Mike Garafolo says likely means an additional 2 games tacked onto his suspension. So he might play the final month?

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Ozu posted:

Josh Gordon plead guilty to a DUI today, which Mike Garafolo says likely means an additional 2 games tacked onto his suspension. So he might play the final month?

They'll have him back by the Super Bowl, at least.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

gohuskies posted:

Sen. Maria Cantwell introduces legislation to remove the NFL's non-profit status:

Wow. If this actually gets off the ground (don't know enough about the Senate to say whether or not it will) then this could be it. Maybe we need a new thread.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

No Butt Stuff posted:

hahahaha you think john schatter thinks abused children deserve handouts

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Chichevache posted:

Wow. If this actually gets off the ground (don't know enough about the Senate to say whether or not it will) then this could be it. Maybe we need a new thread.

Yeah it won't.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Alouicious posted:

hahahaha you think john schatter thinks abused children deserve handouts

I think John Schatter is a business man that realizes that if he's making a dollar less on each pizza, but is selling 30% more, he's going to come out ahead.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Giants beat-writer Conor Orr saying Dan Fox is getting promoted from PS. Looks like Beason's going to be out a while.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

haljordan posted:

Yeah it won't.

What makes you say that? Will it not get enough votes or is there something else?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

gohuskies posted:

How about we remove the NFL's non-profit status because they get by fine on their own.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

What makes you say that? Will it not get enough votes or is there something else?

He's being awesomely cynical and also forgetting that 50 Senators have urged the NFL to change the name.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

The only reason Cantwell cares is that the Native American groups in Washington State have/donate a shitton of money. Doing this keeps the issue alive, and no one else in Congress cares to go against the most popular sport while effectively getting nothing out of it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Giants beat-writer Conor Orr saying Dan Fox is getting promoted from PS. Looks like Beason's going to be out a while.

What could have been :smith:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

quote:

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports the league is discussing whether to intervene in the domestic violence case of Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy.

In July, a North Carolina judge found Hardy guilty of assaulting his girlfriend, but that case will be tried again -- this time before a jury -- in mid-November.

The Panthers deactivated Hardy for last Sunday's game against the Lions, and coach Ron Rivera said Monday he would decide later this week if Hardy will play Sunday night against the Steelers.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's open season against the NFL right now.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
wow a trial before a jury what a change of pace

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yes dare the nflpa to oppose you right now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Madcosby posted:

wow a trial before a jury what a change of pace

north carolina's legal system is dumb + weird

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Rihanna dropped from Thursday Night Football. Priyanka Chopra is still available, CBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

CaptainYesterday posted:

Rihanna dropped from Thursday Night Football. Priyanka Chopra is still available, CBS.

what a terrible loving mistake by CBS. Jesus

• Locked thread