Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Quoted for fire bomber pilots are insane. (And send more, the entire state is slightly on fire. :ca:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

When were 727s phased out? Re-reading Calvin and Hobbes, one thing I noticed is that there is no internet or any sort of wireless devices. I know that's normal for when it was written, I guess I'm surprised how much I notice the technology change from the mid-90s.

If you mean main line airlines delta phased them out around 2003ish.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

YF19pilot posted:

What plane is that, looks to be 'marking' where to drop the load? Looks like some kind of twin ala 410 or a Seminole.

Usually lead planes are either King Airs or Aero Commander 500s.

Edit

Ardeem posted:

Quoted for fire bomber pilots are insane. (And send more, the entire state is slightly on fire. :ca:)

My brother isn't a pilot, but he's one of the ground guys helping you guys out. You guys are going to be just fine :gbsmith:

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 15, 2014

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Naturally Selected posted:

Holy hell, I guess it is hard to paint a shark-mouth that doesn't look absolutely retarded.

And sometimes it's intentional. Did anyone else here watch Riptide back in the mid-80s? A group of detectives with a boat, a robot sidekick, and this thing, "The Screaming Mimi", a Sikorsky S-58T painted pink with a pig face:

If you think that the era of Breaking Bad and Mad Men represents a new golden age of television, you obviously didn't get to experience 1985.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

When were 727s phased out? Re-reading Calvin and Hobbes, one thing I noticed is that there is no internet or any sort of wireless devices. I know that's normal for when it was written, I guess I'm surprised how much I notice the technology change from the mid-90s.

For major passenger airlines, generally the early 2000s. For FedEx, just last year. Other cargo companies are still flying them in limited numbers, and there are also some 727 business jets kicking around.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

For major passenger airlines, generally the early 2000s. For FedEx, just last year. Other cargo companies are still flying them in limited numbers, and there are also some 727 business jets kicking around.

A few of the minor middle eastern airlines still fly them on regular routes too

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Is it true airplanes start playing "highway to the danger zone" after exceeding 250kias under 10kft or Mach 0.9?

The ones I fly just make a really annoying "beep-beep-beep" noise if you exceed 250k under 10,000.

However, I did run across an AM radio station in California playing "Highway to the Danger Zone" this morning while trying to find something to listen to in cruise that wasn't right wing talk, FOOTBALL!!!, or "all Jesus, all the time", which was kind of awesome.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

I take position reports over the radio for oceanic flights and .78-.83 covers drat near all the flights (narrow and wide bodies). The 787s I work are normally .85 and occasionally I get a bizjet going .86-.91 (.91 I've seen exactly once).

There's always someone doing .74. And they're always at the front of a sequence. And they're always just far enough ahead of the big boys trying to run them over that it isn't feasible to put them behind them.

"Uh yeah center, we could give you mach .76" :D

:suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

There's always someone doing .74. And they're always at the front of a sequence. And they're always just far enough ahead of the big boys trying to run them over that it isn't feasible to put them behind them.

Approach likes to stick 250kts on the big guys, shove 'em four miles behind the ERJ doing 270 flat-out and barely climbing, and then act like they did you a huge favor. Little-known fact: the world literally ends two-and-a-half miles outside of your boundary.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

fknlo posted:

I had a Scandinavian 737 going from sowewhere Scandinavia way to IAH yesterday.

That's the oil route from SVG (Stavanger) to Houston. All business class operated by PrivatAir.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Spaced God posted:

Usually lead planes are either King Airs or Aero Commander 500s.

There are a couple slightly more exotic options kicking around:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

fknlo posted:

We hit .5 the other day. Turboprops represent.

We get some hilarious routing anywhere near LAX as controllers try to get us the hell out of the way.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We get some hilarious routing anywhere near LAX as controllers try to get us the hell out of the way.

Yeah who the gently caress needs Mach numbers anyways?

Propz4Lyfe :respek:

I really hope not though

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

hobbesmaster posted:

The best flights are the ones you don't remember.

Its bad but I almost always fly on vicodin or something similar. As Alec Baldwin put it in 30 Rock, "Why should you fly without the same comforts of a dog? "

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

My experience flying TEC routes in a Seminole in the LAX area:

Student: "Can we slow down yet?"
Me:"No."
ATC:"Can you pick the speed up?"
Me:"No."

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

benito posted:

And sometimes it's intentional. Did anyone else here watch Riptide back in the mid-80s? A group of detectives with a boat, a robot sidekick, and this thing, "The Screaming Mimi", a Sikorsky S-58T painted pink with a pig face:

If you think that the era of Breaking Bad and Mad Men represents a new golden age of television, you obviously didn't get to experience 1985.

Intentionally bad is great. The Cobra I quoted just looks like someone who didn't quite know how to paint and somehow didn't have reference material for how the real ones were painted trying his best. :downs:Cobra.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Naturally Selected posted:

just looks like someone who didn't quite know how to paint and somehow didn't have reference material for how the real ones were painted trying his best

Sounds like eastern Europe to me!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I want to see what happens when someone flies close to a large fire above mach 1.

Would the sonic boom crush the fire, give it more oxygen quickly causing it to become more intense or just scatter the fire to a larger area?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

freelop posted:

I want to see what happens when someone flies close to a large fire above mach 1.

Would the sonic boom crush the fire, give it more oxygen quickly causing it to become more intense or just scatter the fire to a larger area?

Well, they did use explosives to snuff out the oil well fires in Kuwait post-Desert Storm, using the compression/shock wave to knock out the flames. Not sure if flying Mach 1+ at tree top level would work (or be all that smart).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

Not sure if flying Mach 1+ at tree top level would work (or be all that smart).

And that's why we shouldn't have retired the Aardvark.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Boeing should restart the B-52 line (with updated engines, of course) as a waterbomber.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
It's sad what became of the old Evergreen 747 supertanker. :(

Also, the A-10 waterhog idea should be resurrected damnit.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Kilonum posted:

Boeing should restart the B-52 line (with updated engines, of course) as a waterbomber.

Only if they can some how put tanks internally and on the hard-points. Putting out fires from 60,000 feet? :getin:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

YF19pilot posted:

Only if they can some how put tanks internally and on the hard-points. Putting out fires from 60,000 feet? :getin:

Giant, giant water balloons.

MOAWB's, if you will...

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Two weeks ago we went to the AIR14 meeting in Switzerland which was apparently the largest one in Europe this year with about 400k people over 4 days.
There was all sort of cool poo poo, new and old planes, plenty of teams (RAF, Spain, Al Fursan (Iran), Italian, Swiss) etc..
I thought you guys might like a few vids.

Plenty more vids if you search for AIR14 on youtube

Some dude having fun with an F-16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByW9-kgfTho

The RAF Red Arrows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnBmcmel3XQ

B-17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcXhgBTe208

Some random stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRzcXdH4mTU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Duke Chin posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060803203145/http://www.firehogs.com/

Keep the dream alive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I support the Firehog idea simply because I want to see Hoser Satrapa fly one.

"WHY THE gently caress DID'YA TAKE OUT THE GUN?!?!?"

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

SybilVimes posted:

And that's why we shouldn't have retired the Aardvark.

C'mon FD-71

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Mach .44 what what

On the other hand we're more than happy to go 250 below 10k! Below 1k, even!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I support the Firehog idea simply because I want to see Hoser Satrapa fly one.

"WHY THE gently caress DID'YA TAKE OUT THE GUN?!?!?"

The Firehog doesn't have a giant water cannon in place of the GAU-8??

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

mobby_6kl posted:

... What were they planning to put up there to keep the CG in the right place, a giant block of lead?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The bear can cruise at something silly like mach 0.7+ right?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

The bear can cruise at something silly like mach 0.7+ right?

It's maximum speed at altitude is mach 0.83 (920km/h @ 15,000m)

But normal cruise speed is mach 0.67 (720km/h @ 15,000m)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Y'all started talking about it and precisely all I could think was "ROTARY SUPER SOAKER ROTARY SUPER SOAKER ROTARY SUPER SOAKER"

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

No it fires 30mm Armor Piercing Anti-Incendiary rounds that can penetrate 50mm of hardened steel armor and then coat the interior of the vehicle with fire-retardent foam :haw: Guaranteed that after that gun run any remaining pieces of trees or homes will no longer be burning!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Too relevant/good not to repost:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Duke Chin posted:

drat, I had no idea. I saw that big girl up close and personal.

Just got back from the Reno air races and a stop at Hill AFB museum. Will post pics as I get the energy if anyone is interested.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
No sir we are not interested in airplane pics in the airplane thread :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Describing my photographic skills as pics is generous. :downs:

I'll put up what's passable within the next few days.

Reno was tough for photos with my little point and shoot other than the static displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mike-o posted:

No sir we are not interested in airplane pics in the airplane thread :colbert:

In the meanwhile this tumblr looks interesting. Mostly color photos of WW2 warbirds.