Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just picture a slow-mo slight movement to his left as a supercharger impeller shoots by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Pham Nuwen posted:

If only hellaflush PT cruisers would become popular we could see the stock depleted within a few years, as long as they're no longer making oil pans for them.

So we have someone buy all of the oil pans so the owners cannot.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Modus Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyLHStnfb9E
At least there is some video evidence of this flat plane mustang, and it sounds gnarly

I do get a kick out of the car running around the 'ring with a Michigan license plate though.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
My dad and I went to a local car show this weekend, which around here means old American stuff. Mostly very nicely restored muscle cars and a few 50s classics. I took a bunch of pics, but these were the most interesting things in my opinion.

A turbo Buick for Rhyno. There were actually a couple of these there, which was impressive.

I'd never seen one of these before. Of course it was signed by Petty, which was cool, even as not a NASCAR kind of guy.

I have no idea what this is, aside from the fact that it said McLaren on it and was 80s-tastic. I have more shots closer up if its something rare/interesting

An Opel is weird to see in Kansas

This gorgeous Jag was one of the only non-American cars, along with a restored Mini and a beautiful stock 240Z

I got to tell my dad what the hell a Bricklin is, thanks to the AI guy who's restoring one (in this color, too?)

Oh, and this awesome Alfa. I've never seen one in person before. It was adorable.

And these guys brought their drag car (truck?) Which was cool, too, though I have no idea what I'm looking at with that stuff.

Like I said, I've got a few more pics of the rest of the cars if anyone wants a megapost, but this was the best of it, IMO.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Don't litter, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbs6eMxa5ds

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Don't litter, folks.

Real superheroes don't wear capes.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Modus Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyLHStnfb9E
At least there is some video evidence of this flat plane mustang, and it sounds gnarly

This is the generation Mustang that'll finally have IRS, right?

phade
Oct 8, 2006

The Jabberwocky posted:

I have no idea what this is, aside from the fact that it said McLaren on it and was 80s-tastic. I have more shots closer up if its something rare/interesting

It's an ASC McLaren Capri. Kind of interesting, and one of less than 300 coupes apparently, but still just a fox body.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

phade posted:

It's an ASC McLaren Capri. Kind of interesting, and one of less than 300 coupes apparently, but still just athe best fox body.

Fixed that for you.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Modus Man posted:

You got video of all those taking off right? Im looking forward to seeing your run as well. I remember seeing a few short vids last year. That is such an awesome event and I'm glad they are going strong.

Nice to see at least one person is interested still :v:

Forums user Tremek doing burnouts with his V wagon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpfGuE7pns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOeE3nGzDqY

Shoeish taking it to the limit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4KGrt8l-o0

Pic dump, credits go to Contraband and Tremek:

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

phade posted:

It's an ASC McLaren Capri. Kind of interesting, and one of less than 300 coupes apparently, but still just a fox body.

Thanks for this! I was pretty curious. Glad it was something interesting, at least.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Am I the only one who thinks this 'stop/start' engine crap is the Devil's work?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

5.2 liters and "flat plane" don't go together well in my head. They'd need like 70 pounds of balance shafts on each side.

That being said, I love the sounds of a flat plane.
Well, the TVR V8 was flat plane at 4.5L, so capacity alone shouldn't be an issue.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
4.5L is like the "limit" to a flat plane crank, similar to how 4 bangers top out at 2.3L.

You can go above it but vibration becomes A Thing. Flat plane V8's are basically siamesed 4 bangers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Well, the TVR V8 was flat plane at 4.5L, so capacity alone shouldn't be an issue.

Since I posted that someone posted a video of said 5.2 "flat plane". It's not. Obviously. So whatever........

And the AJP8.....lol. Come on. That's great and all, but it was a TVR motor which comes with the expected issues. This is something that would need to go into a Ford. Even Ford SVT wouldn't have the juice to overcome the accountants to make that happen.

VikingSkull posted:

4.5L is like the "limit" to a flat plane crank, similar to how 4 bangers top out at 2.3L.

TVR made the AJP8 in 4.7 in very limited numbers, and Porsche pushed a 4 to 3 liters (all of them had balance shafts - first try was by Porsche then they just licensed the things from Mitsu). The AJP8 was not so good. The Porsche worked well enough to drive as an everyday car. So obviously there are exceptions and good engineering, etc,etc. But yeah, 5.2 sounds like too much of a leap.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

VikingSkull posted:

You can go above it but vibration becomes A Thing. Flat plane V8's are basically siamesed 4 bangers.

That vibration issue is exactly why we will probably never see a mainstream car like a Mustang use a flat-crank engine, even in limited production variants. It plays havoc with the the engine's long-term reliability, which is all very well and fine in a car that doesn't see a lot of mileage, like a Ferrari, but not in a car like a Mustang. Beyond that, there are a number of cross-plane V8s out there that rev just as highly and easily as any flat-plane V8.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the solution is obviously a big harmonic damper surrounded by a shroud, and use the damper as a makeshift impeller. plumb the shroud to provide positive boost to the intake :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrChips posted:

That vibration issue is exactly why we will probably never see a mainstream car like a Mustang use a flat-crank engine, even in limited production variants. It plays havoc with the the engine's long-term reliability, which is all very well and fine in a car that doesn't see a lot of mileage, like a Ferrari, but not in a car like a Mustang. Beyond that, there are a number of cross-plane V8s out there that rev just as highly and easily as any flat-plane V8.

And then put 180-degree headers on it.

One of the most glorious-sounding cars I've ever heard was a Mustang Mach 1 with 180-degree headers and race pipes. drat that thing sounded good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Scotch posted:

It's ok on manual cars because the engine usually starts quickly enough that you aren't delayed waiting for it to fire up. Sucks rear end on automatics though, the time between taking your foot off the brake and waiting for the engine to start is just agonizingly slow. I imagine it's pretty hard on the starter motor too. Not to mention the added complexity; Mazda's system uses a small extra battery to run the vehicle electrics while the engine is dead so as to avoid draining the starter battery.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Mazda's system uses a small extra battery to run the vehicle electrics while the engine is dead so as to avoid draining the starter battery.

Really? I read that Mazda has a more unique system where the car could detect what stage each cylinder was in and, with a little help from the starter motor, fire whichever one was ready for combustion to start the engine.
http://www.mazda.com/technology/env/i-stop/

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Start/Stop will take a giant leap forward when combined with pneumatic camless valve actuation, but until then gently caress it, it adds complexity in stupid ways.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Edward IV posted:

Really? I read that Mazda has a more unique system where the car could detect what stage each cylinder was in and, with a little help from the starter motor, fire whichever one was ready for combustion to start the engine.

What model is this?
http://www.mazda.com/resource/img/2014/hding_technology.jpg
Or is it just a concept?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Mazda's system uses a small extra battery to run the vehicle electrics while the engine is dead so as to avoid draining the starter battery.
That answers some of the questions I would have raised, but what about brake booster? Power steering? A/C? Seems like a bad idea to me.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That answers some of the questions I would have raised, but what about brake booster? Power steering? A/C? Seems like a bad idea to me.

I'm not sure about the others but A/C is definitely run off it as well assuming it has enough charge. I actually just bought a 3 that is fully loaded so I can answer any questions about it. I honestly didn't even know that it had start/stop it's that seamless.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't know specifically how Mazda tackled this, but:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

what about brake booster?

Vacuum reservoir. Like everything since the 50s.

Electric.

Compressor doesn't need to run all the time to blow cold. Same thing (different mechanism) for heat.

None of this is a technological stretch.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stealth Like posted:

I'm not sure about the others but A/C is definitely run off it as well assuming it has enough charge. I actually just bought a 3 that is fully loaded so I can answer any questions about it. I honestly didn't even know that it had start/stop it's that seamless.

I'm surprised you think so. The 3 I drove was a top-spec JDM model with skyactiv and everything. I felt like the time between me jumping off the brake and the engine actually starting was an eternity. Unless yours is a manual? Manual cars aren't so bad because the time it takes to push the clutch in and stick it in neutral is more than enough for the engine to spring to life.

I read about the back-stroke exhaust igniting system mazda invented a few years ago, I don't know if it's made it into production. If it has, I've never seen one (that doesn't necessarily mean anything). The cars I've seen certainly don't operate this way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Edward IV posted:

The ones I've seen will stop the motor past the cylinder in question, on the upstroke of the next piston's compression stroke, before TDC. Both cylinders are air only, no fuel is injected. When it's time to start again, a small puff of fuel is injected and burned in the second cylinder, which kicks the engine back and compresses the first cylinder's air charge. The first cylinder then gets a full fuel charge and spark, which in a warm engine is enough to reverse rotation and get the second cylinder past TDC, where the remaining air is burned with another shot of fuel and ignited; the following cylinders all fire as normal as the engine gets up to speed.

Can't remember where I read about this/what brand uses this system, but it sounds superior to me, as it takes starter motors completely out of the equation, and can be implemented on any engine with direct injection.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Start stop has been around for years, and the various cars I've driven that had it it was pretty invisible when driving conditions were suitable for it (and it could be switched off when they werent). Personally I think it's a Good Thing. The whole idea of idling when stopped at a light or heavy traffic just seems like a colossal waste of money and energy. Why pay to not go anywhere?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My first encounter with it was in a rental van. I pulled up to some lights, put the handbrake on and the engine stopped. Cue panic trying to figure out what had happened... I dunno, the traffic is never stopped for very long over here so it was more annoying than anything else.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised you think so. The 3 I drove was a top-spec JDM model with skyactiv and everything. I felt like the time between me jumping off the brake and the engine actually starting was an eternity. Unless yours is a manual? Manual cars aren't so bad because the time it takes to push the clutch in and stick it in neutral is more than enough for the engine to spring to life.

I read about the back-stroke exhaust igniting system mazda invented a few years ago, I don't know if it's made it into production. If it has, I've never seen one (that doesn't necessarily mean anything). The cars I've seen certainly don't operate this way.

It's an auto but I haven't noticed it at all. It feels pretty instantaneous to me. Was it a 14/15 that you drove or an earlier model? It may be more refined now.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

El Scotch posted:

No, it's loving witchcraft of some sorts. It weirds me out when the car next to me at a light fires up and immediately drives. :wtc:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well for some time you could only get start/stop on a manual OR DSG (other than hybrids), because a torque converter auto needs the engine to keep spinning the oil pump to keep fluid in the converter. Mostly the newest generation auto trannies have been designed with this in mind.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

Start/Stop will take a giant leap forward when combined with pneumatic camless valve actuation, but until then gently caress it, it adds complexity in stupid ways.

For those who haven't seen this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23_pu0

The first time I saw it, I was already :aaa: until Christian started talking about the idea of using the pistons to compress air in a tank during braking for later use as either "instant turbo" or the possibility of running as a pure compressed air engine to get some of that braking energy back. Then I was :aaaaa:.

And just because I found it as I was looking for the specific episode, this is the whole Inside Koenigsegg special that /DRIVE put together.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

From R/T's initial Mustang review:

I can't stop laughing at the car faces. The 911 looks like a blowfish and the Ferrari looks like it belongs in a kabuki theatre.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sexual Lorax posted:

For those who haven't seen this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23_pu0

The first time I saw it, I was already :aaa: until Christian started talking about the idea of using the pistons to compress air in a tank during braking for later use as either "instant turbo" or the possibility of running as a pure compressed air engine to get some of that braking energy back. Then I was :aaaaa:.

I'd heard about a system like this nearly ten years ago, and I was fully expecting the segment to end with them standing next to the bench prototype... And then he says they retrofitted a Saab four cylinder, and have driven the loving thing 35,000 miles without a failure. My brain loving exploded.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Motronic posted:

Vacuum reservoir. Like everything since the 50s.
Yeah but don't those things run dry after you pump the brake a few times?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

El Scotch posted:

From R/T's initial Mustang review:

I can't stop laughing at the car faces. The 911 looks like a blowfish and the Ferrari looks like it belongs in a kabuki theatre.
They caught a catfish too.

I would totally read an article about modern car faces and what animal or emotion they convey.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Tekne posted:

They caught a catfish too.

'at's not a catfish.

THAT, is a catfish.

Tekne posted:

I would totally read an article about modern car faces and what animal or emotion they convey.

Well then I just have to

http://autopolis.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/2007-2012-mitsuoka-orochi-the-dragon-inspired-supercar/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MrYenko posted:

I'd heard about a system like this nearly ten years ago, and I was fully expecting the segment to end with them standing next to the bench prototype... And then he says they retrofitted a Saab four cylinder, and have driven the loving thing 35,000 miles without a failure. My brain loving exploded.

Yeah that's amazing. I really want this to be a thing, even if he's over stating the benefits; I kinda want to find out how they're controlling it and see if making retrofit kits are possible for popular engines.

Hell, the guy was tuning camshaft timing and velocity in real time on that bench setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Although I'm worried this person is going to get murdered I was laughing when they taped that bottle to the guy's mirror.