Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Really? The first thing I noticed in MK8 when we went from 3 players to 1 (trying out the online mode) was that it looked and ran SO much smoother with 1.

Framerate makes a really big difference in how a game looks and plays. In something like Bayonetta it makes a very noticeable difference, I played the game on PS3 which had framerate issues then 360 and it was like a generational jump in quality. In smash the gameplay is always 60 FPS and most streams are 30, the game looked SO much better when I actually downloaded the demo rather than saw it online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm kind of surprised YouTube is still limited to 30fps.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Seems to be a little more substantive than a a rumor but, "Thomas was Alone" may be coming to the Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some eShop news for you dorks who don't read the eShop thread:

-the Armillo 1.1 patch is out in PAL-land as of now; it fixes framerate hitches, progression/completion bugs and a few other minor things.

-Image & Form announced the next SteamWorld game: SteamWorld Heist, a 2D turn-based strategy game in space, with roguelike elements. There's an interview with Nintendo here that covers the basic details, and there's also a hands-on article here.

Teaser trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRPQahcRigg

Fremry posted:

Seems to be a little more substantive than a a rumor but, "Thomas was Alone" may be coming to the Wii U.

The publisher (Curve Studios) has announced quite a few Wii U ports recently, so I don't doubt this is coming, either.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I feel a bit like the guy perpetually late to the party, but finally took a break from mario kart long enough to throw in Nintendo Land.

Jesus, that is not a bad slice of game at all. Had no drat idea the gamepad did so many quirky things - I can't wait to grab a friend or two and bullrush our way through the Zelda levels.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Andrast posted:

60 FPS is really loving important in a game like that. If you don't immediately see the difference when playing you are blind.

:lol: if you think the 360 version ran at a constant 60fps. I've played the ps3 and 360 versions and they're both playable, just one was more so.

B2 at the very least looks like it'll run the same as the original, which is great. What's even better is that there's no more screen tearing. Apart from that stop caring about little numbers in the corner its not going to suddenly make the game less awesome.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shin'en (Nano Assault Neo, Jett Rocket) are working on Fast Racing Neo for Wii U. It's a sequel to their WiiWare FZero-like called Fast Racing League.

This screenshot is the only thing they've shown so far.

Fast Racing League was an okay game, but nothing special. However, with F-Zero and WipeOut both being dead franchises I'll take whatever I can get! v:v:v

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

JordanKai posted:

Shin'en (Nano Assault Neo, Jett Rocket) are working on Fast Racing Neo for Wii U. It's a sequel to their WiiWare FZero-like called Fast Racing League.

How long would it have taken these people to put some grass on that dirt. Come on devs. Throw some color on that poo poo jesus

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

How long would it have taken these people to put some grass on that dirt. Come on devs. Throw some color on that poo poo jesus

It's just realistic, actual future is all about repetitive dirt textures and evenly spaced bushes.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

I am curious, At what age did your kid play his first game? What games does he currently play?

Spelunky on PC was the very first time he played a video game he was about 3 and he just ran back and forth jumping around in the starting area, he had so much fun doing that i busted out the old wii with homebrew channel and put on mario all stars for him. He played Mario 1 and 3 mostly, took him a while to master that first goomba and after that learning to run and jump at the same time but once he got that down he did great. I gave him my old NES themed GBA from when i was a kid with the rereleased mario games then later my old DS for NSMB then we eventually got him a 2DS.

He's 4 now and mostly plays mario games, he played GTA4 for a bit and absolutely loved it, just walking around the city and obeying traffic lights when he would drive but theres a lot of cursing and unavoidable violence in it, we got a WiiU partially for Lego City so he could play a more kid friendly GTA. We got him NSMB2 a few days ago and he was able to beat all the main worlds himself the same day we got it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Macaluso posted:

Well to be fair, luscious green grass in the desert doesn't make much sense. But choosing a desert location is like making all your characters have short hair or bald heads, it's easier to make.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

For anyone wondering on processing time on a refurbished Wii U, it looks like it's pretty quick. It's already shipped and I ordered it at a little after 12 AM central.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Macaluso posted:

I like the really obvious repeated ground textures.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

Mr E posted:

For anyone wondering on processing time on a refurbished Wii U, it looks like it's pretty quick. It's already shipped and I ordered it at a little after 12 AM central.

I ordered mine Sunday night with 2-day shipping and it's still processing. I also ordered a wiimote and nunchuk though so maybe that's slowing it down. As long as it gets here by the weekend I don't really care though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

JordanKai posted:

Fast Racing League was an okay game, but nothing special. However, with F-Zero and WipeOut both being dead franchises I'll take whatever I can get! v:v:v

I'd like to see what Mario WIIU thinks about this game. Not a drop of water as far as the eye can see.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nut Better posted:

I ordered mine Sunday night with 2-day shipping and it's still processing. I also ordered a wiimote and nunchuk though so maybe that's slowing it down. As long as it gets here by the weekend I don't really care though.

I used overnight so that might be why mine processed so quickly, and I just got the system.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mr E posted:

I used overnight so that might be why mine processed so quickly, and I just got the system.

I think this was just a good weekend overall, I ordered a Triforce 3DSXL with regular shipping on Saturday and it's already shipping as of this morning.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Didn't see this listed here yet:

Walmart has a listing for a Smash Bros Wii U Amiibo bundle. It's the Wii U game and Amiibos of Pikachu, Mario and Link for $99.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fremry posted:

Walmart has a listing for a Smash Bros Wii U Amiibo bundle. It's the Wii U game and Amiibos of Pikachu, Mario and Link for $99.

That is a good deal. :stare:

But Wal Mart :argh:

Edit: also I'm downloading so I can play it immediately at any time

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

considering that's supposed to be an old mining facility, that's honestly the correct colors they have in real life.

Bingham Canyon looks exactly like that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fremry posted:

No word on a GameCube bundle?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Edit:^^^^^^^^^^^^ The only place I've seen it is Amazon which is selling it for $100.

codenameFANGIO posted:

That is a good deal. :stare:

But Wal Mart :argh:

Edit: also I'm downloading so I can play it immediately at any time

Now that I look at it, it's not really a good deal.

$59.96 for the game
$12.96 for Pikachu
$12.96 for Mario
$12.96 for Link
-----------------
$98.84 for everything separately on Walmart's site.

So you spend an extra 16 cents to get it all as a package.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fremry posted:

$59.96 for the game
$12.96 for Pikachu
$12.96 for Mario
$12.96 for Link
-----------------

So it is in no way a deal and is in fact just a bundle. So I guess I regret nothing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

Edit:^^^^^^^^^^^^ The only place I've seen it is Amazon which is selling it for $100.

$59.96 for the game
$12.96 for Pikachu
$12.96 for Mario
$12.96 for Link
-----------------

Haha, gotta love the 3 cent Wal Mart Always Low Rollback Prices!

I'm actually glad there's not a huge savings though. I really intend to buy digitally so I can just poke an icon and start Smashing, and losing out on a sweet bundle would be disappointing.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My Wii U that I got about two months ago is acting up, freezing and requiring me to either hold the power button down until it resets or having to actually unplug the drat thing. Anyone have any experience dealing with Nintendo customer support? Hoping they have a quick turn around time so I'm not without it for like a month or something ridiculous.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The process itself is smooth, but it can take a couple weeks. Give them a call ASAP and they'll give you an estimate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

My Wii U that I got about two months ago is acting up, freezing and requiring me to either hold the power button down until it resets or having to actually unplug the drat thing. Anyone have any experience dealing with Nintendo customer support? Hoping they have a quick turn around time so I'm not without it for like a month or something ridiculous.

The only bad thing I've heard about customer support from nintendo is sometimes shipping takes a while.

My only personal experience was my DSi's R button wasn't working half the time so I sent it in. They sent it back saying they opened it up and looked at it, couldn't find anything wrong, so sorry.....but the button worked fine after that. (I assume there was a dust buildup in there and they cleaned it out when they were investigating).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

jivjov posted:

The only bad thing I've heard about customer support from nintendo is sometimes shipping takes a while.

Customer service (i.e. the people that you talk to) are fantastic. Some of the best. The people doing the work behind the scenes, it's hit or miss. But the worst part is that Customer Service has no idea what the people behind the scenes are doing and vice versa. So, if there is a problem on the back end, good luck trying to find out what the issue is. Customer Service will be as stumped as you are.

Edit: Also, someone on here had an issue where their Wii U stopped reading discs, sent it to Nintendo, who sent it back saying there was no issue. But when he tried it again, the thing still didn't read discs. Seems to be hit or miss across the board.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 16, 2014

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Would it be better to pick up a copy of Hyrule Warriors from Gamestop and get the preorder skins, or just digital it on the eShop? I only ask because of the incredible longevity that Nintendo titles tend to retain trade-in value.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Psyker posted:

Would it be better to pick up a copy of Hyrule Warriors from Gamestop and get the preorder skins, or just digital it on the eShop? I only ask because of the incredible longevity that Nintendo titles tend to retain trade-in value.

You could also preorder it at Best Buy or Amazon, and get different skins, and have the bonus of not giving money to Gamestop.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's wrong with Gamestop

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Psyker posted:

I don't think this is going to be the kind of game that keeps its value for very long. Also the skins look like poo poo for the most part anyway, Best Buy's Skyward Sword ones might be the best but not by much.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Are Club Nintendo codes worth anything at all trade wise? I've got like 8 codes for Mario Galaxy 2 I don't need.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Austrian mook posted:

Saying "What's wrong with Gamestop" in the Games subforum feels like going into Debate & Discussion and asking what's wrong with Nazi Germany, or something

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Light Gun Man posted:

Are Club Nintendo codes worth anything at all trade wise? I've got like 8 codes for Mario Galaxy 2 I don't need.

PM me one for free. :)

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Austrian mook posted:

What isn't wrong with Gamestop? :v:

Serious answer: Their pawn shop style business model takes money out of developers pockets (because "used" games are owned wholly by Gamestop, so they get 100% of the money from the sale), but because they've choked out or absorbed 99% of their competition, publishers and developers can't say poo poo or they get pulled out of a huge percentage of the sales base.

Among other things.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

PM me one for free. :)

Sure thing, just buy me platinum so I can!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LanceKing2200 posted:

Serious answer: Their pawn shop style business model takes money out of developers pockets (because "used" games are owned wholly by Gamestop, so they get 100% of the money from the sale), but because they've choked out or absorbed 99% of their competition, publishers and developers can't say poo poo or they get pulled out of a huge percentage of the sales base.

This is completely wrong, even as someone who worked at GameStop for a while and knows it's a horrible company for a variety of reasons, this isn't how it's worked for a long time. This mindset comes from playing too many video games and thinking that, the instant you purchase a new copy of Metal Gear Solid, the dollars you give to a GameStop in the US immediately appear in the hands of Kojima Productions' accountant.

Bonuses based on exceptionally high sales, completion deadlines, review scores, etc. do exist (and there are truly awful publishers like 2K), but in general the developers' payment has already been arranged and is happening before the game has even shipped. Buying the game new or used effects the publisher rather than the developer, and even then not much as it's more important to get the game out there in the long term (you'll note how publishers have even removed online passes and such from games throughout mid 2013, it didn't make a difference). The only time the publisher cares about you buying the game new is in the first two months of its release, which is why editions with like one extra weapon or whatever in the first printing, pre-order bonuses, etc. exist.

They're not interested in you buying the game new or used, they're interested in you buying a game in a predictable way, they're much more concerned with pre-order numbers than with raw sales which is why publishers love GameStop, Best Buy etc., they get hard data to forecast how many copies to ship with.

Maybe in the suburbs there isn't a lot of physical competition but all of GameStop's profit comes from the major cities and all of GameStop's competition comes from Best Buy and Amazon. GameStop itself runs such a tight ship to funnel as much money directly into Paul Raines' pockets as possible that if Activision hypothetically said "hey sorry guys Advanced Warfare isn't shipping to GameStop" this November GameStop would no longer exist in May. Life would go on because people would be incensed for a month and then go to Target/Best Buy/whatever instead.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 16, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the real issue with GameStop is their other lovely business practices like opening up games, handling the discs (potentially lending them out to employees in the process) and still selling the game as "New" because it wasn't a trade-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the real issue with GameStop is their other lovely business practices like opening up games, handling the discs (potentially lending them out to employees in the process) and still selling the game as "New" because it wasn't a trade-in.

Back when Left 4 Dead 2 came out I bought it from Gamestop and the game had already been registered on Steam. Thankfully Valve resolved that pretty quickly.

• Locked thread