Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tekopo posted:

please make sure that the art in your game makes logical sense tia

Still having a hearty chortle over this guy.

Hopefully gonna get Tragedy Looper to the table this weekend, boners engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rumda posted:

It bring unplayable is an opinion though.
What isn't is that pbp format distorts games so small flaws get magnified and good points diminish.

The inverse is also true.

what

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I want so badly to defend a game the hipsters hate by saying "it has components" over and over again until the irony hits. I don't think there's anything they hate, though, since they don't have standards.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
somebody shoot me.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

somebody shoot me.

Okay *hoists assault rifle over shoulder like a bazooka*

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Broken Loose posted:

somebody shoot me.

bang bang bang

:smith:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I have a bowl of fun and you are going to eat every. last. bit.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Boardnards.txt

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

tragedy looper is good but it's seriously bullshit that theres content in the game i can never experience because the Social Contract in every group ive played with says the person who owns a game is the DM role 80% of the time

tragedy looper sounds loving amazing but i dont know anyone locally to play it with

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its a game id love to play online, and it's PRETTY PBP-viable, but i hate the idea of waiting. i'd definitely play it over mumble or something if i found a good way to convey info in it and like a high quality pic of the player aid

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

its a game id love to play online, and it's PRETTY PBP-viable, but i hate the idea of waiting. i'd definitely play it over mumble or something if i found a good way to convey info in it and like a high quality pic of the player aid

what do you mean a high quality pic of the player aid. i've only heard descriptions so i dont really know what its all about.

is it the kind of game that if you bought and scanned would be easily translatable to TTS or vassal?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CuddlyZombie posted:

what do you mean a high quality pic of the player aid. i've only heard descriptions so i dont really know what its all about.

is it the kind of game that if you bought and scanned would be easily translatable to TTS or vassal?

itd actually play in vassal well yeah. basically there's a board of four different locations (and a side turn tracker), the Hospital, the School, the Shrine, and the City. each character (NPC) is in one of those locations at a time, and you shuffle them around by playing cards on them face down which resolve simultaneously. The Mastermind plays 3 cards on either characters or locations, and then the 3 players do the same but one card a piece. there's nothing that you have to obscure physically, like tokens behind a screen, so that's easy. hands arent even hidden knowledge, aside from the players not knowing which cards the mastermind (and other players) picked before the reveals.

the big thing is the player aid, which I'm sure would be easy enough to find/scan/type up. there's a huge, huge list of Plots, SUbplots, Incidents, Roles, Characters, and a few other helpful things that is absolutely essential to playing the game - its the job of the players to deduce what the current plot/etc is by watching what events happen, and then rewinding time to fix them. so if, at the end of a Day, a character with two Intrigue tokens on them dies while in the same room as another character and the Mastermind announces that the loop failed and to start over, the players can deduce that the person who died was almost certainly a Key Person, which means they're probably playing the Murder Plan plot, and through that they can figure out what other roles are involved in this particular game.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I watched so many people have fun playing Cards Against Humanity and I wanted to die.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

itd actually play in vassal well yeah. basically there's a board of four different locations (and a side turn tracker), the Hospital, the School, the Shrine, and the City. each character (NPC) is in one of those locations at a time, and you shuffle them around by playing cards on them face down which resolve simultaneously. The Mastermind plays 3 cards on either characters or locations, and then the 3 players do the same but one card a piece. there's nothing that you have to obscure physically, like tokens behind a screen, so that's easy. hands arent even hidden knowledge, aside from the players not knowing which cards the mastermind (and other players) picked before the reveals.

the big thing is the player aid, which I'm sure would be easy enough to find/scan/type up. there's a huge, huge list of Plots, SUbplots, Incidents, Roles, Characters, and a few other helpful things that is absolutely essential to playing the game - its the job of the players to deduce what the current plot/etc is by watching what events happen, and then rewinding time to fix them. so if, at the end of a Day, a character with two Intrigue tokens on them dies while in the same room as another character and the Mastermind announces that the loop failed and to start over, the players can deduce that the person who died was almost certainly a Key Person, which means they're probably playing the Murder Plan plot, and through that they can figure out what other roles are involved in this particular game.

that sounds cool. is the player aid just a big book of scenarios and stuff, like the handbooks in house on the hill, for example?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Kiranamos posted:

I watched so many people have fun playing Cards Against Humanity and I wanted to die.

did u make sure to tell them they are loving gay idiots for liking such a bad and retarded "board game" ???

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CuddlyZombie posted:

that sounds cool. is the player aid just a big book of scenarios and stuff, like the handbooks in house on the hill, for example?

its a lot smaller than that, its a single sheet of paper (front and back, one side has the "learning game" options and the other is for the more complex scripts). it's very bland and practical though, no flavor or anything just straight mechanics

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kiranamos posted:

How does Apples to Apples make you feel

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

its a lot smaller than that, its a single sheet of paper (front and back, one side has the "learning game" options and the other is for the more complex scripts). it's very bland and practical though, no flavor or anything just straight mechanics

sounds like its as easy as sticking it in a scanner, then.

and the rest is mainly just cards and tokens and 4 location boards?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CuddlyZombie posted:

sounds like its as easy as sticking it in a scanner, then.

and the rest is mainly just cards and tokens and 4 location boards?

yeah which is easy, you could just do a square qith the word "Shrine Maiden" or "Office Worker" on it since all the actual stats/abilities for the cards are listed on the player aids. thatd probably seem really bland though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

inSTAALed posted:

did u make sure to tell them they are loving gay idiots for liking such a bad and retarded "board game" ???

Yes I made sure to tell them why Hannah Montana struggling with "a snapping turtle biting the tip of your penis" was very unfunny.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i played cards against humanity with real people and was like "oh this is ok, i guess" but then i played it online with goons and i realized how horrible it truly was

because goons are really unfunny

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
any time someone brings a lovely casual party game or a Totally Epic rpg to my local game place i punch them in the face and yell ycs bitch, and then i play something

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Wow, this thread is starting to have the same inane 'good games is subjective, ok' discussions as the bad thread.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

board games are obviously the best, but only the good ones

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNN people playing cAAArds NNNNNNNNNnnNNNNNNN *flips table*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think goons just play games with terrible people because they lack the social skills into talking normal people to play games, and some of the most common gateway games is stuff like fluxx, munkin, and cards against humanity so they just associate these terrible people with those games.

I mean the games are not good, but they are not as terrible as people really make them out to be. Just get better friends. And then play something you like.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
why would i play a bad game instead of a good game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Countblanc posted:

why would i play a bad game instead of a good game

this is why i said play something you like.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like really everyone should be getting offended at candy land because that is the shittiest game

gently caress candy land

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

mr.capps posted:

like really everyone should be getting offended at candy land because that is the shittiest game

gently caress candy land

Tokaido is like grown up Candyland.

Note: it is still bad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kiranamos posted:

Tokaido is like grown up Candyland.

Note: it is still bad.

i think im going to sell my copy this week, i havent played it since i bought it and its super boring.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the worst gaming experience I had was Fiasco when someone raped my female character because that is what they thought what the game meant by "darkly comic"

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I have normal, socially adjusted friends and they like poo poo like CAH and apples to apples because they don't like to think. I try to approach them as a social activity but I still don't like them. Once we tied in CAH and one player demanded that we have a tiebreaker.:wtc:

On the flip side I don't show up with 1830 and demand they play it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

cenotaph posted:

I have normal, socially adjusted friends and they like poo poo like CAH and apples to apples because they don't like to think. I try to approach them as a social activity but I still don't like them. Once we tied in CAH and one player demanded that we have a tiebreaker.:wtc:

On the flip side I don't show up with 1830 and demand they play it.

Yeah, this is how I approach it. I have fun, but its not because of the game.

I don't try to get them to play crazy poo poo, but I can get them to play Resistance and everyone who has tried it loves it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

guys i thought we decided that all games are poo poo unless they are the ones I specifically like, what happened here? :colbert:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tekopo posted:

guys i thought we decided that all games are poo poo unless they are the ones I specifically like, what happened here? :colbert:

it's a pity that me quoting your post won't capture the book-ended arm-crossed majesty of the original.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tekopo posted:

lots of new refugees, they will figure it out eventually and call everything poo poo and lay off the shift key and the like

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

refugees?!

Tekopo posted:

Not like the funhavers of bad thread fame,
With conquering talismans astride from meetup to meetup;
Here at our MtnDew-washed, basement gates shall stand
A mighty grognard with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and his name
Grognard of Exiles. From his bacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; his stern eyes command
The air-conditioned basement that his parent's house frame.
"Keep, ancient thread, your stupid arguments!" cries he
With cheeto-stained lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to ~just have fun~,
The wretched refuse of your teeming thread.
Send these, the homeless, the tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
just caught up on the bad thread, glad to see that the fun argument is still a page+ every time. At least most people have gotten it pounded into their skulls or at least know better than to argue it

'Experience Generator' being a pejorative was new though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my favorite experience generator is life

not life the game

like actual life

• Locked thread