Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, Suicide Squad: The Movie (aka Batman: Assault on Arkham) hit Redbox today, and it was awesome. I highly recommend it to any action/caper/heist movie fans, and if you like the Suicide Squad and Deadshot in particular, you're going to love it. I was surprised to see it had a PG-13 rating, but it was quite violent, with several on-screen deaths that would have necessitated that rating in a live-action movie.

There was also nudity (no naughty bits shown directly) and a sex scene (same), none of which bothered me, but I didn't think any of the direct-to-DVD DC animated films went there. Then again, I haven't seen any of the recent ones. Was this the first to have a more "mature" dynamic? At least it made sense for these characters (criminals and psychos), whereas the adult content would have felt out of place in a JLA movie.

Anyway, as a Deadshot fanboy, I had fun watching him hold his own against Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn, and Amanda Waller, all in different ways, of course. Captain Boomerang and Killer Frost were great too, and it was great to hear CCH Pounder doing Waller's voice again. The fast-paced sequence that introduced each character was spot-on perfect -- wordless action sequences showing them in action, usually doing something extremely violent or dangerous to show who they were and what they could do.

After binge-watching Arrow earlier this summer reignited my love of the Suicide Squad (enough to make me start tracking down a complete run of the '80s series to get bound), this was a perfectly-timed follow-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

Nothing beats that one Clayface transformation sequence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWBvRmP1bc

The entire episode is a cut above. I just started rewatching the series from the beginning on Netflix and within the first few minutes of this episode I sat up and took notice of the stark difference. Feat of Clay was a two-parter and it's only Pt. 2 that looks that good.

It reminded me of watching DBZ back-to-back-to-back in high school, noticing there was an obvious A team of animators they had and wishing they had done every episode.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Well, Suicide Squad: The Movie (aka Batman: Assault on Arkham) hit Redbox today, and it was awesome. I highly recommend it to any action/caper/heist movie fans, and if you like the Suicide Squad and Deadshot in particular, you're going to love it. I was surprised to see it had a PG-13 rating, but it was quite violent, with several on-screen deaths that would have necessitated that rating in a live-action movie.

There was also nudity (no naughty bits shown directly) and a sex scene (same), none of which bothered me, but I didn't think any of the direct-to-DVD DC animated films went there. Then again, I haven't seen any of the recent ones. Was this the first to have a more "mature" dynamic? At least it made sense for these characters (criminals and psychos), whereas the adult content would have felt out of place in a JLA movie.

Anyway, as a Deadshot fanboy, I had fun watching him hold his own against Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn, and Amanda Waller, all in different ways, of course. Captain Boomerang and Killer Frost were great too, and it was great to hear CCH Pounder doing Waller's voice again. The fast-paced sequence that introduced each character was spot-on perfect -- wordless action sequences showing them in action, usually doing something extremely violent or dangerous to show who they were and what they could do.

After binge-watching Arrow earlier this summer reignited my love of the Suicide Squad (enough to make me start tracking down a complete run of the '80s series to get bound), this was a perfectly-timed follow-up.
I like the character designs of Killer Frost and Harley. They are lean and muscular, befitting their violent lifestyle. Bruce Timm likes to draw his women for beauty rather than power.

And like in every comic book story ever, the prison guards in B:AoA are next to useless. Like they are so sloppy they let their prisoners take their guns (and prison guards in the real word rarely carry pistols). The most annoying instance I can think of in any movie is in the last Spider-Man movie where a sickly Harry Osborn effortlessly breaks into a prison.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
They animated the mouth movements so as to resemble that of 2D hand-drawn animation. It's an interesting stylistic choice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

redbackground posted:

Nothing beats that one Clayface transformation sequence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWBvRmP1bc
Man I love how they did Clayface almost as much as what they did with Mr. Freeze; I always felt bad for him :smith:

Also now that we are talking about the Suicide Squad movie it reminded me of that awesome JLU episode

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I like the character designs of Killer Frost and Harley. They are lean and muscular, befitting their violent lifestyle. Bruce Timm likes to draw his women for beauty rather than power.

And like in every comic book story ever, the prison guards in B:AoA are next to useless. Like they are so sloppy they let their prisoners take their guns (and prison guards in the real word rarely carry pistols). The most annoying instance I can think of in any movie is in the last Spider-Man movie where a sickly Harry Osborn effortlessly breaks into a prison.

They're not even prison guards. They're asylum guards, who should be even better trained.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Man I love how they did Clayface almost as much as what they did with Mr. Freeze; I always felt bad for him :smith:

Also now that we are talking about the Suicide Squad movie it reminded me of that awesome JLU episode

That was probably my favorite JLU episode, and there were a handful of contenders. Darwyn Cooke wrote it, and Michael Rosenbaum used his best Kevin Spacey impression to voice Deadshot. Just a fantastic heist/caper story, all around.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I actually think I love Clayface a little more. Mr. Freeze is great, but each Clayface story feels truly bizarre and special.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I actually think I love Clayface a little more. Mr. Freeze is great, but each Clayface story feels truly bizarre and special.
I always felt bad for in the 2nd Two-Parter because I felt Batman was being a dick stopping the process just as he was gaining control of his powers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I always felt bad for in the 2nd Two-Parter because I felt Batman was being a dick stopping the process just as he was gaining control of his powers.

Everybody says this but I don't see what's so harsh about stopping an unhinged murderous shapeshifter from becoming even more powerful, especially after he rejected your offer to get his humanity back. Sure, Hagen had a tragic origin but that was then, by the events of "Mudslide" Batman was totally justified in stopping the procedure and the rest Hagen brought on himself.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

Batman says "the lab boys will take it from here", meaning he's OK with saving Clayface as long as he's in a secure cell first.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Watched Assault on Arkham last night. I thought it was a pretty mixed bag. The voice work was pretty drat good, you had Conroy as Bats, Pounder as Waller, and the Riddler sounded exactly like the smug prick he is. I liked Batman's fight scenes; he was fluid and fast-paced, and a lot of his moves mirrored the ones from the games.

But it did have a few things that bothered me. It's got the same adolescent mentality as the comics that gore+sex = mature. To be fair, I didn't think they went overboard on blood and guts, but there was a lot of pandering with the two female characters getting naked. It felt really fan-servicey.

It's pretty clear the guy who wrote it was a massive Deadshot fan. He basically spends the entire movie showing how cool and better he is than everyone else in the movie. He keeps up with Bats in a fight, has Harley literally throwing herself at him for sex, repeatedly punks Boomerang, "out-crazy's" the Joker, beats up the team's tank, gets talked up by Penguin, and of course gets one over on Waller at the end. Felt like they didn't want to spend time building him up on his own merits, so they just did it at the expense of everyone around him.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Aphrodite posted:

They're not even prison guards. They're asylum guards, who should be even better trained.

Well, to be fair going by Arkham Asylum typical operating procedure I imagine most of their guards are inexperienced (because they keep getting killed off by this sort of crap) and the sorts of people willing to hire on to a position that likely to get them killed, so I suppose being incompetent makes SOME sense. Kinda dumb if they're walking around with guns though; the game had armed guards in the "intake" portion of the asylum only, rest were either properly unarmed as I recall or had picked up guns the inmates had on them after being rescued (and the number of armed vs. unarmed inmates definitely had guns being relatively rare overall in the asylum, and this with Joker planning ahead for a takeover).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've never followed the Suicide Squad and don't know Waller outside of the Bruce Timm cartoon. Are her actions in this movie typical of her? She gets a bunch of criminals to break into a government facility, a process that naturally gets cops killed or injured. It's downright criminal, and she's a government official.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 15, 2014

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Baron Bifford posted:

I've never followed the Suicide Squad and don't know Waller outside of the Bruce Timm cartoon. Are her actions in this movie typical of her? She gets a bunch of criminals to break into a government facility, a process that naturally gets cops killed or injured. It's downright criminal, and she's a government official.

She's done far worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a Tuesday.

Morning.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That's a Tuesday.

Morning.

Before her coffee.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Baron Bifford posted:

Look up Checkmate. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Everybody says this but I don't see what's so harsh about stopping an unhinged murderous shapeshifter from becoming even more powerful, especially after he rejected your offer to get his humanity back. Sure, Hagen had a tragic origin but that was then, by the events of "Mudslide" Batman was totally justified in stopping the procedure and the rest Hagen brought on himself.
Yeah I guess, I kind of don't like his subsequent appearances in the DCAU.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

AlternateNu posted:

Look up Checkmate. :v:
It's a bit nonsensical. I know the government gets away with all sorts of shady things, but the choice of victim is always critical. If she has her team attack cops and break into a government facility, I don't think that's the sort of thing her colleagues would let slide.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Baron Bifford posted:

It's a bit nonsensical. I know the government gets away with all sorts of shady things, but the choice of victim is always critical. If she has her team attack cops and break into a government facility, I don't think that's the sort of thing her colleagues would let slide.
Like the CIA hasn't done worse in real life

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Baron Bifford posted:

The point of black ops operation, especially fictional ones, is that they can't be connected to anyone in particular.

Which honestly makes it kind of weird that they are often running around in their supervillain gear.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Well, the NSA spied illegally on Congressmen so I guess this happens IRL (though violent action against American lawmen is taking things to another level).

It was great that they brought back the voice actors from the Bruce Timm cartoons.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 16, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah I guess, I kind of don't like his subsequent appearances in the DCAU.
He's kind of divorced from purpose and turns into a shapeshifting mook for the most part. Which is a shame.

Though, the episode where he pisses the gently caress out of Robin 2.0 is pretty heartwrenching and surprisingly complex.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

FilthyImp posted:

He's kind of divorced from purpose and turns into a shapeshifting mook for the most part. Which is a shame.

Though, the episode where he pisses the gently caress out of Robin 2.0 is pretty heartwrenching and surprisingly complex.

That one was sad as hell man. I don't really remember, but did he even do that on purpose? I feel like I remember that whole thing happening by accident.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Which episode was that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Which episode was that?

Pretty sure he is talking about Growing Pains

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Which is a weird loving episode, what with Clayface putting out an autonomous part of himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was honestly expecting the entire thing to be an elaborate act the whole time. But I guess the writers long forgot that Clayface started out as a clever actor and just wrote him as a big dumb jerk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't the point that he was a washed up, hammy B-movie actor that over-estimated himself? The scientist lady who was obsessed with him seemed to watch one pretty awful romance over and over.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Given that talking pictures have only been around for a decade or two in the Batman TAS world, I imagine that all acting is really hammy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Which is a weird loving episode, what with Clayface putting out an autonomous part of himself.
And that autonomous part of himself being a little girl.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't the point that he was a washed up, hammy B-movie actor that over-estimated himself? The scientist lady who was obsessed with him seemed to watch one pretty awful romance over and over.

Well, the death scene posted earlier was him acting to fake his own death, so he clearly had some chops.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I was honestly expecting the entire thing to be an elaborate act the whole time. But I guess the writers long forgot that Clayface started out as a clever actor and just wrote him as a big dumb jerk.

I saw it as him going nuts due to no longer being human.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lurdiak posted:

This reminds me of how Xorn was revealed to be Magneto in disguise. Xorn was a character fans enjoyed, but whom Morrison intended from the start to be Magneto. Imagine how kiddies would have reacted when Robin's little girlfriend turned out to be Clayface acting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

That one was sad as hell man. I don't really remember, but did he even do that on purpose? I feel like I remember that whole thing happening by accident.

Clayface didn't make her independent on purpose, that happened when she got too far away and lost connection with him. But when she came back and he absorbed her, he destroyed her individual identity and Robin (rightfully, I think most would agree) called it murder.

On the DVDs for "Mudslide" they said they didn't reuse Clayface for a long time because they had a hard time coming up with another premise for such a deeply personal issues-driven character, same as Mr. Freeze. But eventually they got over it because he just had too much potential as a powerful physical threat for the heroes to overcome.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

On the DVDs for "Mudslide" they said they didn't reuse Clayface for a long time because they had a hard time coming up with another premise for such a deeply personal issues-driven character, same as Mr. Freeze. But eventually they got over it because he just had too much potential as a powerful physical threat for the heroes to overcome.
I think they missed a nice opportunity to have some random third party characters come in and try to exploit Hagan for personal gain. Basically turn him into a lab animal to that they can (profit off his shape-changing, iono) and have Bats bust it up.

Gives Clayface a nice way to either salvage or forgo his humanity.

And then in the Christmas special he can come back and hit Nightwing with mallet-hands or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So UK and India picked up the Spider-Verse USM episodes and aired them already and they're honestly kind of meh. Spider-Ham's episode is amusing though. Each episode is split where you meet two Spider-Men per episode. The ones you meet are Spider-Knight (Spider-Man's Spider Armor from Ends of the Earth), Spider-Girl (Petra Parker), Spider-Ham (voiced by Ben Diskin), Miles Morales (voiced by Donald Glover), Spider-Man 2099, and Spider-Man Noir (voiced by Milo Ventimiglia).

In pretty much every episode segment, the Spider-Man of the alternate reality has a problem and wants to stop being Spider-Man so Spider-Man from the original USM timeline has to tell them how great it is to be Spider-Man and they should never ever give up. Ever. USM Goblin fucks something up so USM Spidey and Alt Spidey have to go fix it. USM Spidey helps save the day and leaves. Then, between each and every segment you get to hear USM Spidey explain why he's falling through dimensions. This begins to get old very, very quickly.

In Spider-Girl's universe, it's pretty much a genderswap episode. This wouldn't be weird...except for the thing where everyone goes after Peter for being a boy and going so far as to state that a boy simply cannot be a superhero and that it's hilarious. Everyone makes fun of him. Pretty much everyone except original Goblin. If this universe is a genderswap and everything is "backwards" from the original USM universe, are MoA trying to say that, in that universe, females are to be laughed at and can't make a good superheroine? I'm probably putting too much thought into this but then again USM is not known for good writing so it's probably true. Awkward to watch and awkward to think about.

In Miles Morales' universe, Peter is actually dead and it is brought up by Miles showing USM Peter his grave. Miles states that this Peter died saving the world and Miles had gotten his powers BEFORE Peter died and he could've saved his life but did not due to fear. I haven't read Miles' comics in a while but this is close to the comics origin, I believe so that's not a big deal. Donald Glover's voice still doesn't fit and characters constantly make reference to how Miles is so young. It's awkward (again...there's that awkward feeling...) because it's like they want to bring up the fact that this Spider-Man is a mix of Black/Hispanic but they just...can't. It's also weird to keep bringing it up too. Miles does mention that he'll do his best to be the best Peter Parker Spider-Man he can be and Peter mentions how "No, Miles Morales Spider-Man is just fine." and how he doesn't have to be Peter. I liked that as a nod to people bitching about a non-White, non-Peter Spider-Man.

Spider-Ham's universe is like a Looney Tunes episode and it's pretty enjoyable honestly. I would watch a Spider-Man episode that's got crazy reality bending hijinks but I know Marvel/MoA would gently caress it up if it went on long enough. I love Ben Diskin's work so there's that too. The voice kind of fit after a while but it still sounded like Numbuh Two/Shoutmon so maybe that's the voice he uses for most characters now? Either way, I liked this segment.

Spider-Man 2099's universe is badly animated with 3D but it looks as if they tried to pay homage to Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions as it felt like the whole thing took place around the Scorpion level of that game. That's really the only vibe I got from it.

Spider-Man Noir's universe was...weird. It was completely in black and white but only USM Spidey had his red and blues. Everything else, including USM Goblin was in black and white. I guess they didn't want to confuse the kiddies with a different palette? Whatever. Milo's voicework was okay. He seemed pissed off all the time but that kind of fit Noir from the comics anyway. I didn't like how they tried to use 1920s slang but it came off as really forced. Tara Strong's Mary Jane Noir sounded just like a stereotypical reporter would...so...ok then. Overall, this was ok. They gave Noir a horrible looking hat with his iconic trenchcoat but he lost both of them halfway through the segment and pretty much looked like Noir from Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. Again, I think Man of Action played that game prior to this episode. I do like how they used "The Spider" and "The Goblin" though because they weren't called Spider-Man and Green Goblin in the original Noir comics anyway.

Spider-Knight...eh. Spider-Man's Ends of the Earth armor in a medieval setting. Why not just use Spider-Man 1602? I was expecting that but...ok. I liked the fainting spells bit when they thought USM Spider-Man was trying to work with a demon. Everyone just randomly fainted when they heard this horrible news. They probably all had those horrible medieval corsets on. I wanted someone to just go "Oh lord, the vapours!" at this scene so badly.

Overall, most of the episode segments were meh (with the exception of Spider-Ham for me). Writing is still not that great but I guess I'd the episodes up there with Deadpool's episode for a decent time. I'm glad that Spider-Man's "team" didn't show up as they would've been useless.

Female JJ looks loving terrifying.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Batman Beyond has now inspired the greatest, most contemptuous twitter conversation in history:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nero/status/512265767195529217

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yessssssssssssss.

https://www.nerdist.com/2014/09/new-animated-justice-league-digital-series-coming-in-2015-from-wb-bruce-timm/

• Locked thread