Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

That'll sure get me to start playing games on origin :rolleyes:

You know, since they pretty took their ball and ran home, it's occurred to me that i'm really not all that fussed about EA games anymore. Don't get me wrong, i'm pretty sure i have most of the latest AAA ones from the last few years but i can vaguely recall what they were without having to look them up.

Crysis 3 and Alice maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bejeweled 3 is pretty good though. There has been a lot of free games on Origin of different age and genres and almost all of them have been pretty good. It's nice that EA is doing that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

The thing is that Dead Man's Switch is basically 'My First Shadowrun Adventure'. It's an entry-level campaign that introduces the very basics of the setting (almost every character lets you ask stupid questions like 'What's a troll?' and 'Aren't orcs evil?' without them punching your head off your shoulders) and builds up from there, dropping in a few references to the SNES game along the way and ending with the start of one of the big world-events from the RPG sourcebooks. It's a good introduction for newbies, but it's not exactly deep.

I was really disappointed with the latter sections of Dead Man's Switch, not because of the 'my first adventure' thing, but because I bought a copy of the Universal Brotherhood sourcebook when it came out and groaned when I realized I'd have to deal with that obnoxiousness in a not-really-amazing adaptation of the tabletop game.

That is, if I hadn't been one of the unlucky ones for whom a patch meant to fix a game-breaking animation bug... instead inflicted that same bug on them instead. They were having nasty issues with a ballooning Unity cache at that point too, so I just shook my head and left it for lost.

I am looking forward to Dragonfall though. I got the impression that things were rocky for them for a while post-launch, but they've managed to stabilize and improve on what they offered then. Getting a copy as part of the Kickstarter doesn't hurt, of course.

Edit: Bejeweled 3, what? Yoink!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, of all the stuff to complain about re: Origin, their Free poo poo Initiative has been pretty good so far.

That and, frankly, uPlay's busy showing us what a real bad DD platform is like.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Undying is a good game but it's unfortunate that they never got to make any sequels

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Drifter posted:

Except Undying was pretty great back in teh day, while Jericho just kinda sucked throughout, regardless of time.

I concur (one of the few times I do with you), but still. That final boss man. It's like the modeler either got fired or had a stroke during design.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kin posted:

That'll sure get me to start playing games on origin :rolleyes:

All the free games at least got me to install it and play the games. It's inoffensive and it works, so I guess I'm fine with it :shrug:

e: at 10 games now, and I haven't paid for any of them, that's how it starts, isn't it? :negative:

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 16, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Cathair posted:

I just wish there was an option to play with the enemy stats and other benefits of Normal, but with the full AI of Classic and above. The restricted AI is what becomes boring the quickest on Normal and also the single biggest obstacle to transitioning to harder modes, since it will allow you to do dumb things with fewer repercussions.

The Long War mod on the easiest difficulty pretty much fills this niche, and gives you a lot more toys to play with as well. Be prepared to look up info/advice on a few obtuse new mechanics, but the mod's few downsides really aren't bad unless you're playing on higher difficulties.
Never messed with Long War but if all you want to do is paste normal alien stats to Classic you can do that pretty easily with resource hacker. Heck I'd do it for you but I doubt you'd want to download an .exe from a random goon.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Drifter posted:

They (steam) got some deals on those rpg maker games. Skyborn and the like. I've heard Skyborn or Skybound or whatever was supposed to be a pretty good entry into the genre. I then realized I owned it from that last Humble Bundle where I picked up RPG Ace Maker for 4 bucks. :laugh:

I haven't opened or even installed any of them yet. :negative:

Skyborn's one of the better RPGMaker games I've played, honestly. It's not as good as Exit Fate or Last Scenario (which can be both had for free), but it's relatively grind free, it's short enough that it doesn't overstay its welcome, the combat is pretty fun and the plot (while not hugely original) is tolerable enough.

Aveyond: Lord of Twilight is trash and everyone should stay the hell away from it, though.

Does anyone know how the other games in the sale are?

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 16, 2014

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The random button on the steamcompletionist page threw up Gone Home for me and I finally played it after having it sit in my inventory for a long time... It took me an hour to complete. Why was this game a big deal? I feel like there have been these "walking simulator" type games that have done everything Gone Home tried to do but better. Was it just the subject matter? It just felt way too much like rich kid problems and nostalgia for an age that I didn't share. The revelation at the end was also kinda... Pointless. Maybe it was ruined for me by all the things I had already learned before playing. Not much point in an exploration game if you already know what's being explored.

Still. "Psycho House Girl"? Really? American high school in fiction is the dumbest place.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaming journalists praised it a lot and so people got very angry, even though the proper thing to do is NOT GIVE A poo poo ABOUT GAMING JOURNALISM

I enjoyed it though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think part of it was the price/gameplay ratio but i dont really pay attention to that poo poo. i just got it basically for free from the humble bundle so i'll try it i guess even though it doesn't really appeal to me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

General Emergency posted:

I feel like there have been these "walking simulator" type games that have done everything Gone Home tried to do but better.
Please give some examples because honestly Gone Home is the best 'walking simulator' game I played.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

IMO it wasn't worth the intial asking price of 20 bux and I wish there would have been like, puzzles and stuff. But if you got it for like 99 cents it's fine.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Gone Home is the David Eckstein of video games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

New Concept Hole posted:

Gone Home is the David Eckstein of video games.
A world series MVP? :smug: (just kidding I loving hate the Cardinals)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

General Emergency posted:

The random button on the steamcompletionist page threw up Gone Home for me and I finally played it after having it sit in my inventory for a long time... It took me an hour to complete. Why was this game a big deal? I feel like there have been these "walking simulator" type games that have done everything Gone Home tried to do but better. Was it just the subject matter? It just felt way too much like rich kid problems and nostalgia for an age that I didn't share. The revelation at the end was also kinda... Pointless. Maybe it was ruined for me by all the things I had already learned before playing. Not much point in an exploration game if you already know what's being explored.

Still. "Psycho House Girl"? Really? American high school in fiction is the dumbest place.

That was basically my reaction as well. It's probably different if you happened shared anything in common with any of it

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Gone Home was an inoffensive - if pricey - game that leaned way too heavily on 90s nostalgia. Reporters and gamers who grew up in the 90s went apeshit, people who didn't like those people went apeshit and the rest of us kind of raised an eyebrow and moved on with life.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think that how angry a person gets at Gone Home depends on whether they've ever unironically typed #gamergate into a tweet and it wasn't to make fun of teens

Or whether they also get angry at Moms Against Gaming

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

poptart_fairy posted:

the rest of us kind of raised an eyebrow
:lol: smug much?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
These kinds of games rely (often too heavily) on its emotional parts hitting you. If they don't, of course you're not going to like it as much!

Me, I really enjoyed it though it made me angsty as gently caress. I blame grunge.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you like the thrill of leaving programs open to make 15 cents, Gemini Rue now has cards. Also it's a good game you probably have in your backlog so you should actually play it now.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Quest For Glory II posted:

A world series MVP? :smug:

Yes.

Also hilariously short.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Palpek posted:

:lol: smug much?

?

Most people did just move on and consider it 'alright' though? There was teeth gnashing on both sides but that doesn't mean everyone was a complete loving psycho about it.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Gone Home isn't a game so it doesn't even matter if it's good or not. (It's not)

edit: I think it's really just your impression. \/ \/ \/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

poptart_fairy posted:

?

Most people did just move on and consider it 'alright' though? There was teeth gnashing on both sides but that doesn't mean everyone was a complete loving psycho about it.
There are hundreds of ways to write that that wouldn't make you sound like a tryhard :smuggo:.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Palpek posted:

Please give some examples because honestly Gone Home is the best 'walking simulator' game I played.

Stanley Parable. I don't know if it counts since its gimmick is calling out all the bullshit of these pretentious bullshit glorified CYOAs while being a pretentious bullshit indie CYOA at the same time.

At least it manages to be funny at times and it has a lot more replay value.

The demo also rules.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Laputanmachine posted:

Stanley Parable. I don't know if it counts since its gimmick is calling out all the bullshit of these pretentious bullshit glorified CYOAs while being a pretentious bullshit indie CYOA at the same time.

At least it manages to be funny at times and it has a lot more replay value.

The demo also rules.
Oh yeah, Stanley Parable is cool. Jazzpunk also.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did they release a date for when Dead Rising and RE5 were making the jump to Steamworks?

Palpek posted:

There are hundreds of ways to write that that wouldn't make you sound like a tryhard :smuggo:.

You seem p mad about gone home, dude.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

No I'm not, nothing I wrote indicated that but people who get out of their way to write how much they don't care make me laugh.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Gone Home starts the lesbian revolution. Unfortunately all the revolutionaries know how to do is walk around middle class homes reading things so no one noticed.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I read The Stanley Parable as calling out games in general and "choices" in games in particular.

Gone Home was cool cause the emotional beats were pretty well done and it told a grounded story which was refreshing for me, at least in the context of games. Exploring the house and piecing together the back stories was a lot of fun for me. Also the soundtrack was rad.

Anyone have any thoughts on the games the added to the humble bundle today? Already have had Monaco for a while, but I've never heard of the other two.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
A friend of mine played Gone Home and immediately wrote to Steve Gaynor asking what the deal with all the hinting that something sinister or supernatural might be going on only for the explanation to be mundane as gently caress. He got a wordy non-answer about subverting expectations and establishing mood that was pretty :smugbert:.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The house was very lovingly modeled and other than the sheer amount of scribbles and notes the kids had apparently stashed loving everywhere felt like a real place.

For comparison though: To The Moon did an emotional story better, Stanley Parable did contextual narration better, Ether One did puzzles better and looked prettier too.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The actual best wander around game is the ghost hotel level in Vampire Bloodlines.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I bought Ether One recently and I'm looking forward to playing it. My stance on walking sims is still the same-- some games would be better as walking sims than with the gameplay/combat they were saddled with :shrug: Bioshock Infinite and Fallout 3 are examples for me. I just preferred exploring to the shooting. I don't begrudge anyone for having a different opinion though.

e: Remember Me would probably be better without the combat too, I love the memory remixing, it feels like a Phoenix Wright gameplay system and now I want a Phoenix Wright game with this concept

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 16, 2014

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Pahtologic and Void are really good walking around simulators. There's probably people around who know how to do more in those than wander around oooh'ing and aaah'ing at the scenery but alas I am not one of them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wanted to get into The Void so badly but it was too weird for me to take in. Pathologic, no problem, the Void though? Christ.

Palpek posted:

No I'm not, nothing I wrote indicated that but people who get out of their way to write how much they don't care make me laugh.

Nothing I wrote indicated that either so I really don't know what point you're trying to make here. :iiam:

I was just saying that the 'controversy' it sparked was very vocal between two fairly small groups, with the same few names popping up again and again. By and large Gone Home's reception didn't swing in any particular direction.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Even knowing what happens I get spooked when the kitchen attacks me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

poptart_fairy posted:

Nothing I wrote indicated that either so I really don't know what point you're trying to make here. :iiam:

I was just saying that the 'controversy' it sparked was very vocal between two fairly small groups, with the same few names popping up again and again. By and large Gone Home's reception didn't swing in any particular direction.
You can just write why you like or don't like or doen't care about a thing, you don't have to judge people who aren't like you and then summarize it with "while we (normals)...". This makes you look like a smug goon.

I liked Gone Home for the atmosphere mostly. I thought the main story outstayed its welcome at like halfpoint of the game and started running in circles with nothing left to say and a pretty underwhelming e/n ending. I really liked all the side stories though and piecing the family portrait together from small bits of information spread around the house. It was overall a neat experience and I'm looking forward to the next game from the same studio.

• Locked thread