Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

I never noticed that Tom's comment for that page is "One day, Zimmy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
So if Robot shows up surfing on Reynard's back this is gonna be my favorite chapter ever.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
So if Robot shows up surfing on Reynard's back this is gonna be my favorite chapter ever.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
jack was right

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

welcome to spider city

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
since they're on a cruise, does that mean they're going to get sea spiders instead of the ones from the earlier chapter?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

That panel of Gamma is ominous. I mean the whole page is ominous, but that one in particular is pretty grim. Looks like she's trapped, separated from Zimmy, and possibly just emotionally stunned. Like she's probably rocking back and forth and whimpering. How are they going to meet up in their usual place and escape? This doesn't bode well for our fair heroes. :ohdear:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This chapter got intense. I suppose we should have expected Big Events, since we've reached the end of a school year, but drat. The contrast between this and the easygoing beginning of the chapter is really well done.

BobTheJanitor posted:

That panel of Gamma is ominous. I mean the whole page is ominous, but that one in particular is pretty grim. Looks like she's trapped, separated from Zimmy, and possibly just emotionally stunned. Like she's probably rocking back and forth and whimpering. How are they going to meet up in their usual place and escape? This doesn't bode well for our fair heroes. :ohdear:

Yeah, Gamma's supposed to be the person who can handle Fun City. If she's freaking out, everyone's boned.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Still too early to tell if Gamma's hiding or detained (a robot was trying to take her away when Annie fireballed his face, so we've no way of knowing yet whether another robot succeeded or if she hid) but either way it looks like Annie, Scruffy, and Not-Zimmy have to track down Gamma, Kat, and then Zimmy... and hope that Renard shows up just when they need him most.

Also: Fun City!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

BobTheJanitor posted:

I really like this panel because how effective the fence is at communicating the feelings of dread and isolation. The fact that the fence partially obscures her make her feel cut off and trapped. On top of that though the fence also communicates the idea that she is not unaffected by the goings on of this particular iteration of Zimmyland like usual. She's huddled down and...afraid? Shocked? Feeling guilty? Certainly not in a happy place, and certainly worse off, at least for the moment, than the others seen today. Except maybe the S classes. They look like they're having a bad day.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I hope the naive latina and girl mechanic have sex soon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
w h o a h

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I really like that the entire class is now getting to experience Zimmy Hill. She and Gamma always felt like they had their own little corner in the plot and that corner is now suddenly also the room and everyone is stuck in it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I really like that the entire class is now getting to experience Zimmy Hill. She and Gamma always felt like they had their own little corner in the plot and that corner is now suddenly also the room and everyone is stuck in it.

I love Zimmy stories, but they also scare the hell out of me. Like, I know it doesn't seem likely for Tom to just off a character out of nowhere, since this isn't really that sort of comic. But if he ever were to do it, it just seems like it would have to happen in one of Zimmy's hellscape scenarios.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Someone just up and never shows up again after all this and none of the characters ever notice. All appearances and mentions in older pages are now missing. Zimmy Zimmy Zeta.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
^^^^ So far there isn't really any evidence that people die when what Zimmy sees becomes reality. They just get really hosed up, and perhaps invaded by the denizens of whatever "world" she is connected to (Jack).

as zimmy once said "it's only as real as you let it be" or whatever. It seems to be more of a psychological hell hole that really fucks with your psyche. But ofc we have also never seen a gaggle of kids get tossed in it who aren't like Annie, Zimmy or Gamma (and we didnt see what happened to jack explicitly).

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=191

hahaha

ho ho ho

"Something ain't right here"

hahahahah

hohohohohoh

The plot thickens, it is thickening.

What is the court: man's endeavor to become god. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=497

Who is a god? Coyote is a god. Does coyote exist? No. Why does coyote exist? Because of the "souls" of humans passing into the ether, becoming the ether. "The world continues to spin pup, the boy and his family will ensure it" http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=356

speculation: the court is using the robots to become god. How? idk lol, but it's something to do with Zimmy obviously. Perhaps the current fiasco with the boat who is in love with the crab lady doesn't exactly follow directly to that event, but I think it's probably trying to elucidate something to us.

People had to die to create coyote. the guy in the desert helped create coyote by dying and having his story of the "gods" he envisioned pass with him into the ether. People die to create gods, and people die to ensure the "world continues to spin".

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 16, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You know, you can use capitalization in this subforum and people won't pick on you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

You know, you can use capitalization in this subforum and people won't pick on you.

Look buddy when I'm on a roll I forget sometimes, alright? You have my sincerest apologies for my error, I'll go back and edit things in penance.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

a medical mystery posted:

welcome to spider city
It's okay, they're just trying to give you a kiss.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think you know how acting out Time Cube is supposed to work.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

BobTheJanitor posted:

I love Zimmy stories, but they also scare the hell out of me. Like, I know it doesn't seem likely for Tom to just off a character out of nowhere, since this isn't really that sort of comic. But if he ever were to do it, it just seems like it would have to happen in one of Zimmy's hellscape scenarios.

This comic, plus Tom's comment on it, speaks to that. I agree that it might be odd to kill Zimmy halfway through their school career without really explaining just what her deal is (although there's still plenty of time left in this chapter for that), but I'm about 100% certain that Zimmy will die before Gunnerkrig Court is done.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giant Ethicist posted:

This comic, plus Tom's comment on it, speaks to that. I agree that it might be odd to kill Zimmy halfway through their school career without really explaining just what her deal is (although there's still plenty of time left in this chapter for that), but I'm about 100% certain that Zimmy will die before Gunnerkrig Court is done.

Read the post you quoted again, they're not worried about Zimmy dying, they're worried about some other character dying in Zimmyland.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Fucknag posted:

Read the post you quoted again, they're not worried about Zimmy dying, they're worried about some other character dying in Zimmyland.

Yup. They said "a character" might die, and I figure Zimmy is a character, who Tom has basically said is going to die in Zimmyham.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This chapter is loving awesome I just wish this comic updated faster. Too bad even with the Patreon we can never convince Tom to pick up the speed up updates.

It's probably for the best though, quality like this can't be rushed.

VVVVV It's never enough.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 16, 2014

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Three updates a week, like clockwork, isn't enough for you?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Someone just up and never shows up again after all this and none of the characters ever notice. All appearances and mentions in older pages are now missing. Zimmy Zimmy Zeta.

As cool as that might have been, Tom won't do it simply because he'd like to have the whole comic printed, and that thing won't simply work there. Shame really.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Mischalaniouse posted:

Three updates a week, like clockwork, isn't enough for you?

I don't think some of us would be satisfied with a page a day. :v:

Kikas posted:

As cool as that might have been, Tom won't do it simply because he'd like to have the whole comic printed, and that thing won't simply work there. Shame really.

Ship an X-acto Knife with every order of the book this chapter is in alongside instructions on an extra page after this chapter to go back through all your Gunnerkrigg Court books and cut out <character> from every panel. :v:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
For the people impatient with the release schedule, even having the whole thing magically come out all at once wouldn't be enough because then there wouldn't be any more.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Exactly. Whenever someone introduces me to an established comic I haven't read before, I binge on it Netflix-style and after that ANY update schedule seems glacial.

Honestly the best cure is to read from the start again and see what you've missed and what has a new context with what you know will happen.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr Subterfuge posted:

For the people impatient with the release schedule, even having the whole thing magically come out all at once wouldn't be enough because then there wouldn't be any more.

No, it's good when things end. All things must end. The true showing of a story teller's abilities is the ability to end a story. If you are not satisfied with a well-ended story then you are. 21st century consumerist man-child and should probably kill yourself.

We always want more of things that are good, but we obtain true enjoyment from things that end.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

butplug accident posted:

I hope the naive latina and girl mechanic have sex soon.

That's a slipshine exclusive coming soon!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

SHISHKABOB posted:

No, it's good when things end. All things must end. The true showing of a story teller's abilities is the ability to end a story. If you are not satisfied with a well-ended story then you are. 21st century consumerist man-child and should probably kill yourself.

We always want more of things that are good, but we obtain true enjoyment from things that end.

Just because I can empathize with the endless desire for more content doesn't mean I share it. But go on, who else should kill themselves because they do not meet your standards for living :allears:

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 16, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lmao

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
You really are a oval office.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
so who else is ready for a showdown between zimmytown s-robots and robotgodkat?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chapter 9

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Countdown to dancing bird avatar...

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

cultureulterior posted:

Countdown to dancing bird avatar...

Gimme a sec.

Edit:

up-town top rank-ing

I wish I had a real image editor and could flip it so Cityface was looking at the posts. Here's the original full-sized if any gif wizards want a crack at it.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 16, 2014

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
doot doo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN