Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

moths posted:

It basically comes down to the Doctor attacking her appearance because Clara as a character wasn't conceived with any substantial traits. She was a magical Moffat girl last season, but now that she's getting more screen time she uhh... teaches school and, um... is awkward on dates?

They're absolutely giving her more characterization, like arrogance and stubbornness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

She's also nice to kids and able to interact with other Earth humans! These features in no way distinguish her from people we know in real life.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

anastazius posted:

So who else is thinking that the 'Promised Land' is obviously going to end up somehow being Gallifrey?

Weren't the robots trying to reach it?

I like that the big season arc has been dialled back a bit, since some of the previous ones (especially the one where "The Doctor" "dies") set up unreasonable expectations. Of course this might all be blown out of the water in a few episodes.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

XboxPants posted:

They're absolutely giving her more characterization, like arrogance and stubbornness.

she's quite talkative and forthright as well, but shows it more realistically than Donna, who demonstrated her opinions by being loud and talking rubbish very quickly. If it weren't for the previous season of bollocks I'd say she's the most down to earth and realistic character of new who.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

moths posted:

She's also nice to kids and able to interact with other Earth humans! These features in no way distinguish her from people we know in real life.

I can think of plenty of people ITT who that wouldn't apply to.

anastazius
May 17, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Weren't the robots trying to reach it?

Yes, exactly, somehow Missy is manipulating robots and self-sacrificing people and getting people to the 'Promised Land', and the Doctor will follow these breadcrumbs and find himself home. But it'll be Wrong because of Missy messing everything up cause she's a soul of a crazy Tardis who is obsessed with the Doctor.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nuzak posted:

she's quite talkative and forthright as well, but shows it more realistically than Donna, who demonstrated her opinions by being loud and talking rubbish very quickly. If it weren't for the previous season of bollocks I'd say she's the most down to earth and realistic character of new who.

Correct. I don't know whether it's Moffat actually listening to criticism of her character last series, or if it's since we're not dealing with the Impossible Girl stuff anymore she has more room to breathe, but she has quickly shot toward the top in my mind.

The only thing I'd add to her, and this could apply to any companion in the series, would be to seem more...affected by what she sees when she's out with the Doctor. I dunno, I feel like if I saw sentient monster suns and people getting disintegrated by robo-antibodies, I'd end up staring blankly at a wall for ages trying to wrap my head around it all. But you could also argue she's just used to it now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

the English/Scottish dynamic might be level enough to work in a pinch).

You know, that might actually be interesting. I know other people sort of don't like bringing too much attention to why the Doctor is talking with an accent (after all, he isn't from Scotland, he's from Gallifrey, and it can make you think too much about the TARDIS translation circuits, which we're supposed to just take on faith), but the Doctor being against a forceful authority and largely venturing through England, it might sort of work.

Irish Joe posted:

Is it any wonder why people don't take your opinions seriously when you have yet to address a single argument of the opposition? Every post you make literally dismisses everybody who disagrees with you as wrong, not for any reason, but because they can't possibly be right in your demented view of the world.

I take his opinions seriously even when I disagree with him and in fact, he is a good example of how to be brash, disagreeable and sort of an arse, but not be uncomfortably sexist at the same time! :v:

The_Doctor posted:

Can you all agree to disagree and move on, please? There were some 100 new posts overnight, and it's all the same back and forth bickering. Go and make yourself a new thread to do it in, and you can discuss it forever.

gently caress's sake.

No. It's just as good of a discussion as anything else that has taken this many posts, of which there are many.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bicyclops posted:

No. It's just as good of a discussion as anything else that has taken this many posts, of which there are many.

It's really annoying and it isn't going anywhere. No one has agreed on anything, it's just the same bullshit back and forth for page after page/

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Good luck finding an example of a discussion that went on for 12 pages (out of 19) of the same people posting about it without others complaining.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Is there any way for a powerful white man to rib his inferior female companion?
I think making fun of humans in general worked. That bit about human brain sizes didn't seem dismissive towards any one group.

Edit: And just as a heads up, people complaining about how long a conversation has been going on just drags the conversation on even longer as it becomes a conversation about the conversation. No one wins. Best bet is to just exercise your scroll wheel a bit, or bring up another subject (this chat didn't drown out all that big finish chat, at least).

Eiba fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 16, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

anastazius posted:

So who else is thinking that the 'Promised Land' is obviously going to end up somehow being Gallifrey?
I don't know, but it would certainly be fitting with the running themes of self-reflection and being a soldier that have permeated every episode this season.

This last ep even tied in The Doctor's own desires not to be a soldier in with his stint as actually being one, and making an impossible choice to end a war.

But for some reason, I still kind of doubt it's Gallifrey.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

anastazius posted:

Yes, exactly, somehow Missy is manipulating robots and self-sacrificing people and getting people to the 'Promised Land', and the Doctor will follow these breadcrumbs and find himself home. But it'll be Wrong because of Missy messing everything up cause she's a soul of a crazy Tardis who is obsessed with the Doctor.

The way I'm seeing it, there's two possible ways to take this part of the overplot. Although, looking at them together, they don't vary the result much.

A: The Promised Land is an actual, tangible location, where Missy is. It may be somewhere entirely new, it may be an unfamiliar name for a known location at some different point in time/space, but it's a location that exists enough that Missy isn't lying.

Or B: The Promised Land is bullshit fed to gullible machines and people with nowhere else to go. Missy's working towards her own crazy gameplan, that for some reason needs these people, as opposed to A where they're just sort of... turning up, I guess?

It's definitely too early to say much at all for sure about any of this, but from what the Doctor Who Tumblr jumped out of nowhere to spoil me about during the leadup to the season, there should be an episode, probably somewhat soon, that sheds light on it. At some point in this season is a Cyberman episode that Missy was shown on set for, so chances are pretty good that when the Cybermen turn up, we'll get some usable information.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

You know, there were a lot of things wrong with Colin and Peri's bickering phase, but the thought does occur that the dialogue given to them was of a completely different kind to the dialogue Capaldi gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=910Rpcvu-jc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3yizkdMKw

Colin's spiky and he's rude at far greater length than Capaldi is, and you may well find that you have to to develop your own explanation of why she's even travelling with such an unpleasant person, but despite being rude and unpleasant to his companion for an entire series, he never that I can recall goes to "Hahaha you're ugly and unattractive" (apart from that one bit in Mindwarp where he's specifically trying to save her from a hideous fate by playing on the villain's prejudices) to demonstrate that.

The basic problem- and one of the major struggles Colin's Doc had with audiences- was that they jumped straight to "strangling Peri and then trying to force her to come be a hermit with him" in the first story, and though they chalked it up to regenerative trauma, it colored the whole relationship such that they were fighting 100% of the time and there was no real picture of why they were together.

Doc 12 and Clara, however, I think have a much better balance in their relationship- he needles her and doesn't behave appropriately, but there's a better sense of his vulnerability and need for her to keep him on the good path.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

You know, that might actually be interesting. I know other people sort of don't like bringing too much attention to why the Doctor is talking with an accent (after all, he isn't from Scotland, he's from Gallifrey, and it can make you think too much about the TARDIS translation circuits, which we're supposed to just take on faith), but the Doctor being against a forceful authority and largely venturing through England, it might sort of work.

The Doctor always talks with an accent, everyone talks with an accent. It is no more strange that previous incarnations have used a "posh" english accent or a "northern" english accent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

The basic problem- and one of the major struggles Colin's Doc had with audiences- was that they jumped straight to "strangling Peri and then trying to force her to come be a hermit with him" in the first story, and though they chalked it up to regenerative trauma, it colored the whole relationship such that they were fighting 100% of the time and there was no real picture of why they were together.

Doc 12 and Clara, however, I think have a much better balance in their relationship- he needles her and doesn't behave appropriately, but there's a better sense of his vulnerability and need for her to keep him on the good path.

I'm not sure that TV Six and Peri should be the bar we set to crawl over, though.

Mr Beens posted:

The Doctor always talks with an accent, everyone talks with an accent. It is no more strange that previous incarnations have used a "posh" english accent or a "northern" english accent.

I agree (it's equally strange to me when the German speaking submarine captain says "You speak as though you were a British gentleman" in one of Five's audios).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr Beens posted:

I always thought of regeneration as 'shuffle the deck and draw a new hand', and Twelve has just drawn an accent card that, while in the deck for a good long while, just hasn't come out before now. He's just speaking in an accent picked up off of different people than previous incarnations.

And just as an aside, I always liked Nine's explanation of his accent for the unspoken element of it. 'Lots of planets have a north' implies that at least some of them don't.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I always thought of regeneration as 'shuffle the deck and draw a new hand', and Twelve has just drawn an accent card that, while in the deck for a good long while, just hasn't come out before now. He's just speaking in an accent picked up off of different people than previous incarnations.

And just as an aside, I always liked Nine's explanation of his accent for the unspoken element of it. 'Lots of planets have a north' implies that at least some of them don't.

RTD did say (offscreen, obviously) that the reason that Ten has the estuary accent is because Rose was rubbing off on him, but yeah, there doesn't really need to be a reason. I do seem to recall a few lines from Capaldi along the lines of "Just like the English!" though, so they seem to be acknowledging it in the writing, for whatever reason.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

11th Doctor last saw Scottish Amy Pond and forced his hand into becoming Scottish Peter Capaldi.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not sure that TV Six and Peri should be the bar we set to crawl over, though.

I agree (it's equally strange to me when the German speaking submarine captain says "You speak as though you were a British gentleman" in one of Five's audios).

At a convention during the 1980s, shortly after they'd announced him as the Doctor, Colin Baker (along with JNT) said that the Doctor didn't have a British accent, but rather a Gallifreyan one. He said it was just that the average person's hearing was unable to handle the subtle nuances of the Gallifreyan accent, and so just processed it as "British" instead. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Harlock posted:

11th Doctor last saw Scottish Amy Pond and forced his hand into becoming Scottish Peter Capaldi.

Oh, I'm certainly seeing 12 as having a Scottish accent because Amy was so central to 11's life.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What this means is we need an Irish companion after Clara so that Thirteen can sound like my older relatives and I can feel especially at home while watching Doctor Who.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There could be a Northern Irish companion, but the subtitles would probably be too expensive.

Stealthweasel
Feb 13, 2005
Flies at the throat of man!

Cleretic posted:

Or B: The Promised Land is bullshit fed to gullible machines and people with nowhere else to go.

The Promised Land is Silicon Heaven, got it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Stealthweasel posted:

The Promised Land is Silicon Heaven, got it.
But where would all the toasters go?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

They all go to hell.

You know in Utopia when they go almost the end of time and for some reason there are mad cannibal people? I bet even that far in the future, they still haven't invented a toaster that works properly.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite...would you like a toasted teacake? :v:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

They all go to hell.

You know in Utopia when they go almost the end of time and for some reason there are mad cannibal people? I bet even that far in the future, they still haven't invented a toaster that works properly.

Presumably that's why they're all cannibals.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
400 posts :woop: maybe somebody's put together all the blackboard writing for each episode and come up with a theory.

Or speculated on the billions of clues, even just in the opening:

* Like why did he have a candle in a lit room and blow it out drammatically?
* What page did he place the chalk on?, what was the book? the screen looked light and contrasted enough to resolve the text.
* Is there a common theme to Danny and Clara both being teachers and the Doctors fixation with writing on blackboards?

Can't wait to see what the thread says abo....:negative:

I knew you irritating, broken fucks would turn the slight, ignorable rash at the fringes of these threads into full blown Vasculitis.

Is no place or topic ,no matter how milquetoast, safe from your pseudo-sanctimonious masturbation?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

spikenigma posted:

Can't wait to see what the thread says abo....:negative:

I knew you irritating, broken fucks would turn the slight, ignorable rash at the fringes of these threads into full blown Vasculitis.

Is no place or topic ,no matter how milquetoast, safe from your pseudo-sanctimonious masturbation?

FYI, people have largely stopped discussing the topic and it is obnoxious drive by shits with no self-awareness exactly like this one that keep bringing the topic back up, so the person you should probably be the most upset about for having to exercise your scroll wheel is yourself. :ssh:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Good news, everybody!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/09/complete-dt-years-150914213008.html

quote:

The Complete David Tennant Years

In this massive 26-disc collection, the BBC brings together the complete David Tennant Years! David Tennant made his debut as the Doctor in 2005 in “The Christmas Invasion” and in the four years that followed, Doctor Who grew to new heights of popularity. This collection celebrates Tennant’s tenure by bringing together every David Tennant Doctor Who episode including The Complete Second Series (co-starring Billie Piper as Rose Tyler), The Complete Third Series (co-starring Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones) and The Complete Fourth Series (co-starring Catherine Tate as Donna Noble), all eight specials and two spin-off animated adventures, totalling over 38 hours of Doctor Who plus hours of extras. This is a must-own collection for the legion of devoted Doctor Who fans.

Don't all rush off to buy it at once!

spikenigma posted:

Dude, you need to stop cribbing your :iceburn: s from Sixth Doctor fanfics.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
This thread always goes to weird places one or two days after the episode aired.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

spikenigma posted:

400 posts :woop: maybe somebody's put together all the blackboard writing for each episode and come up with a theory.

Or speculated on the billions of clues, even just in the opening:

* What page did he place the chalk on?, what was the book? the screen looked light and contrasted enough to resolve the text.
* Is there a common theme to Danny and Clara both being teachers and the Doctors fixation with writing on blackboards?

This is all even less interesting to me than the current topics

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Good news, everybody!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/09/complete-dt-years-150914213008.html

Don't all rush off to buy it at once!

Is there any word on what the extras are? I can't foresee buying it either way, but it'll be interesting to know if there will be any new behind-the-scenes info floating around out there.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

spikenigma posted:

Here we go, another voyage around the English language!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

spikenigma posted:

These are really, really dull questions.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

spikenigma posted:

Bullying children again, eh?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
No BRCTs yet thread? For shame

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No BRCTs yet thread? For shame

You're just going to be stuck with Five. We'll never know what Six would have done with that puppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Noxville posted:

This is all even less interesting to me than the current topics
The topics were Utopia, and who or what Missy is. We had moved on. We were talking about other things. :negative:

• Locked thread