Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amanasleep
May 21, 2008

twodot posted:

Probable cause its not the required burden for a Terry stop. Reasonable suspicion is, probable cause is the burden to arrest or search someone. I think there's a valid argument for there not existing reasonable suspicion, but we have to get our facts in order first.

The tip provides reasonable suspicion for the initial stop ("questioning persons matching description").

edit: I actually think it's not clear that the uncorroborated tip provides reasonable suspicion for the initial stop either.

Refusing to provide ID does not constitute a reasonable suspicion.

In fact, ignoring a request for ID and leaving does not constitute a reasonable suspicion.

No other facts asserted by the police provide reasonable suspicion for continued detention after the ID question had been answered ("No" is a lawful and acceptable answer that cannot be grounds for reasonable suspicion).

Specifically, the police do not assert that they forcibly detained for any other reason than verifying ID.

Because this was not a "stop and frisk" Terry stop, there can be no other grounds for continued detention, because the only allowed rationale for the detention caused by a stop and frisk is a surface weapons search. The police do not allege that they had reasonable suspicion to perform such a search.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Pohl posted:

He likes the fact that police can lie to you and issue orders that are not legal. He isn't talking about legality, for him, it is about a pedantic use of language. We all know what the previous poster was talking about, but twodot has to insist that the language is wrong, because it is not illegal for the cops to ask for ID. He doesn't care that they are able to lie and manipulate people, he is only worried about the use of language when we talk about the situation.
I'm specifically talking about legality, which is why I responded to the post saying the police did something illegal. It turns out that when talking about legality, words and facts matter. I'm ok with police being able to issue orders you are not legally required to follow (I can do that too), issuing orders that are illegal to order are of course bad.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

twodot posted:

I'm specifically talking about legality, which is why I responded to the post saying the police did something illegal. It turns out that when talking about legality, words and facts matter. I'm ok with police being able to issue orders you are not legally required to follow (I can do that too), issuing orders that are illegal to order are of course bad.

You don't care about legality, because the police gave her an unlawful order, which she declined, and then they used that as an excuse to detain her. This is something you support.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Welp, looks like the police is trolling the actress pretty hard. Conveniently, the bodycam didn't experience a massive failure!

LA Weekly posted:

Daniele Watts' Story About a Racist LAPD Stop Is Falling Apart

African American actress Daniele Watts cast her run-in with the Los Angeles Police Department last week as one tainted by racial undertones, but cops this week are fighting back.

Watts' white boyfriend, chef Brian James Lucas, took to social media to accuse the LAPD of stopping the pair because they believed the two were, as he put it, "ho and trick."

But audio released by police to select media outlets, including TMZ, appears to cast doubt on the pair's version of events:
Police indicated to us the officer's voice on the audio is that of Sgt. Jim Parker, first on the scene.

An LAPD official said Parker had responded to a call reporting lewd acts. The official told us the exact dispatcher comments of the citizen's report were that a white man and a black woman in floral shorts were ... having sex in the vehicle with door open. This was about 3:01 p.m. Thursday in the 11900 block of Ventura Boulevard in North Hollywood. Watts' camp said she had just taken a meeting at the adjacent CBS studios lot and was making out with Lucas before officers arrived.

Over the weekend Watts, who appeared in Django Unchained and on Showtime's Weeds, and her boyfriend Lucas, a self-proclaimed "rawk star chef," took to social media to accuse the LAPD of conducting a racist stop.

But Parker defended himself yesterday on KFI AM 640 radio's John and Ken show.

He said the caller, located by police, reiterated that the pair were allegedly having full-on sex in a car, and that one of them wiped off with a tissue afterward and threw that tissue on the ground. The audio, ostensibly taken from one of the department's new body cameras, doesn't support any of what Lucas alleged—that the two were suspected of being customer and prostitute.

On the audio, the sergeant explains: "Somebody called, which gives me the right to be here. So [it] gives me the right to identify you, by law."

"Do you know how many times the cops have called for being black," she says.

"Who brought up the race card," Parker says.

"I'm bringing it up," she says. " ... I have every right to be here."

"And I have every right to ask for your ID," he says.

"I have every right to say no," Watts says.

"No you do not have every right to say no," the cop says.

"I have a publicist," she says, which recalls for us last year's arrest of the very white and entitled Reese Witherspoon.

"You have a publicist," the cop says, "but I'm going to get your ID ... I have probable cause. We received a call."

The sarge, despite a lot of armchair legal analysis on the interwebs, is absolutely right.

Police have the ability to detain people for questioning during an investigation in which low-threshold probable cause exists that they might be involved in a crime. Police have the duty to identify those people. That can include taking them to jail and having them fingerprinted, lest they be wanted criminals.
Watts screams, "I don't have to give him my ID because it's my right to sit on the loving street corner and make out with my boyfriend. That's my right."

She then tries to give her phone to the sergeant so he can speak with her father. "My dad would like to talk with you," she says.

Parker calls for a female officer to come detain Watts, and that's what apparently happens moments later. He also tells someone, ostensibly Lucas, that if she would have identified herself from the get-go, "I'd already be gone."

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Welp, looks like the police is trolling the actress pretty hard. Conveniently, the bodycam didn't experience a massive failure!

OK, now the police are alleging that they had probable cause (for "lewd acts", not prostitution). Different ballgame.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

amanasleep posted:

OK, now the police are alleging that they had probable cause (for "lewd acts", not prostitution). Different ballgame.

Except they didn't because they also claim showing ID would be enough to set her free. How would ID resolve the lewd acts accusation?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

DARPA posted:

Except they didn't because they also claim showing ID would be enough to set her free. How would ID resolve the lewd acts accusation?
I wouldn't but it would be information to use in case they wanted to investigate further.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

The police are citing probable cause based on the phone call and the officer's description of them actually having sex, wiping off and depositing a rag on the ground. Like it or not, unless someone has video evidence to the contrary, that's the end of it. Can we shut up about this now?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

amanasleep posted:

So the police are insisting that she wouldn't identify herself now? Not showing ID does not mean you refuse to identify yourself. poo poo, she even tried to have the officer talk to her father on the phone. She brought up the fact that she was an actress and had a publicist... she wasn't complying, however, which makes her guilty.

bassguitarhero posted:

Can we shut up about this now?

Yeah, sorry. I won't contribute to the derail anymore.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 16, 2014

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

bassguitarhero posted:

The police are citing probable cause based on the phone call and the officer's description of them actually having sex, wiping off and depositing a rag on the ground. Like it or not, unless someone has video evidence to the contrary, that's the end of it. Can we shut up about this now?

The police imply a lot of things in a lot of cases

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

bassguitarhero posted:

The officer does not allege that he witnessed this behavior. The caller described this (and based on the account it is not clear whether the caller initially described this to dispatch or only later after being questioned by police).

edit: Once again, uncorroborated tips do not constitute probable cause to believe that a crime has occurred, either for lewd acts or anything else. If the officer did not witness lewd acts by the couple in his presence then he did not have probable cause.

edit2: Let's assume that the lewd acts occurred and that the caller witnessed them.

1. The call, with accurate descriptions of the individuals, provides reasonable suspicion.
2. The police officer may reasonable approach and ask the persons to identify themselves.
3. Providing only a verbal answer is sufficient. The content of this answer is irrelevant (even if it is a lie).
4. The police officer may also ask for ID (it is not unlawful for the police to ask for it).
5. It is lawful for the detainee to refuse to provide the ID when asked.
6. It is not lawful to further detain after the question is answered (content of the answer is irrelevant).

So IMO this all revolves around whether the officer actually had probable cause like he claims. If he did, then he could have arrested her. Because he did not do so, I think that's pretty strong evidence that he did not have probable cause, despite his claims to the contrary.

It appears that he was using a false claim of having probable cause (which means: "I have the right to lawfully arrest you right now") to intimidate her into providing ID.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 16, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

temple posted:

He didn't ask for proof that she wasn't a prostitute. He asked for her ID.

That's not how human interaction works, especially for a professional. If you have special legal powers granted to you by legislation, ethical rules laid out by related legislation govern how you use those powers. That this is not the case in practice in a profession as fundamental as law enforcement is indicative of a deeply sick society, and makes a mockery of the idea that conservatives are motivated by respect for the fundamental institutions of Western society and their underlying principles.

quote:

She was detained, not arrested.

The difference between the two is not significant enough to matter in this case.

quote:

I really think I've made this point clear time and time again.

That you prefer to bury your head in pedantic hair-splitting to taking the idea that racism is actually wrong seriously. That's what I'm getting out of this.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

amanasleep posted:

The officer does not allege that he witnessed this behavior. The caller described this (and based on the account it is not clear whether the caller initially described this to dispatch or only later after being questioned by police).

edit: Once again, uncorroborated tips are not probable cause, either for lewd acts or anything else. If the officer did not witness lewd acts by the couple in his presence then he did not have probable cause.
He has the right to detain to question. Probable cause is about arresting someone. She was not being arrested. He had reasonable suspicion she had committed a crime. So he questioned her. Obtaining her identity was important information to the investigation. He had the ability to detain her until he could confirm her identity for a reasonable amount of time.

Hodgepodge posted:

That's not how human interaction works, especially for a professional. If you have special legal powers granted to you by legislation, ethical rules laid out by related legislation govern how you use those powers. That this is not the case in practice in a profession as fundamental as law enforcement is indicative of a deeply sick society, and makes a mockery of the idea that conservatives are motivated by respect for the fundamental institutions of Western society and their underlying principles.

The difference between the two is not significant enough to matter in this case.

That you prefer to bury your head in pedantic hair-splitting to taking the idea that racism is actually wrong seriously. That's what I'm getting out of this.
Stating dry and boring facts are not hair-splitting. Making assumptions about what the cop was really thinking is probably far far worse than being pedantic. Just because a black person is wrong about the law and their pride is hurt, doesn't mean it is racism at play. Especially, when said black person wants to make it clear that they are a hollywood actor with a publicist and holds like a lot of power. She's like the opposite of Mike Brown. How dare the cops stop her.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

amanasleep posted:

6. It is not lawful to further detain after the question is answered (content of the answer is irrelevant).
I still have an issue here, of course it's not lawful to detain someone based solely on the content of the answer, but asking the question doesn't invalidate other reasons for being allowed to detain someone (it's fine to argue those other reasons didn't exist, or that the length of the detention wasn't justified by those other factors, but this bullet point isn't doing either of those).

Pohl posted:

You don't care about legality, because the police gave her an unlawful order, which she declined, and then they used that as an excuse to detain her. This is something you support.
No it's not. I'm glad you are actually making relevant replies, but you also shouldn't put words in my mouth.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

So you think that police offers are powerless to see that no sexual activity appeared to be taking place outside of social norms (ie, kissing) and consider the idea that the call may have been inaccurate?

Establishing whether the call was accurate or not was the purpose of talking to Watts and her husband and checking their IDs, right?

Hodgepodge posted:

Unless you made assumptions based on the race of one or more of the couple.

Like that it is not normal for a couple to be of mixed race. That is not appearing racist, it is acting racist. If you can't tell the difference, you may want to consider the possibility that you are naive, willfully ignorant, out-of-touch with the realities of racial attitudes in parts of America and the rest of the world, or simply a racist.

D&D.txt.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

temple posted:

He has the right to detain to question. Probable cause is about arresting someone. She was not being arrested. He had reasonable suspicion she had committed a crime. So he questioned her. Obtaining her identity was important information to the investigation. He had the ability to detain her until he could confirm her identity for a reasonable amount of time.

Stating dry and boring facts are not hair-splitting. Making assumptions about what the cop was really thinking is probably far far worse than being pedantic. Just because a black person is wrong about the law and their pride is hurt, doesn't mean it is racism at play. Especially, when said black person wants to make it clear that they are a hollywood actor with a publicist and holds like a lot of power. She's like the opposite of Mike Brown. How dare the cops stop her.
The officer said he had probable cause in the audio, that's why it is being brought up

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

"Hey you have stupid naive opinions about racism"

:smugdog: "Heh, what a bunch of message board nerds"

LOL you are not even trying here, dude.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

This is the second time you move made this joke in as many pages. It wasn't half as witty as you thought it was then, and it's even less so now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

bassguitarhero posted:

So I'm assuming the plan for the moving of the Grand Jury case is to literally hope they can freeze out any protestors, right? Is there any other possible reason for it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Prejudice is real" - D&D

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GlyphGryph posted:

So I'm assuming the plan for the moving of the Grand Jury case is to literally hope they can freeze out any protestors, right? Is there any other possible reason for it?
Nothing was moved, the grand jury's term was extended. Which may really be because someone thought they wouldn't finish during the original term.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

That's pretty much all there is to it. Put the grand jury results after the election and in the middle of the cold season. That way if the grand jury spikes it you'll have frozen out most of the anger. There's no way it should take that long to compile a case when you have that many eye witnesses.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Who What Now posted:

This is the second time you move made this joke in as many pages. It wasn't half as witty as you thought it was then, and it's even less so now.

If you want, just read it as this:

Not every interaction between a black person and ______ is because of racism and claiming racism when the facts or the law suggest otherwise degrades the quality of the discussion and makes it hard to take you all seriously - you sound just like the tumblr SJW's you mock in other contexts. There's plenty of actual racism to get incensed about so LOL at _______ who is all butthurt about _______ and at the circle jerk that has developed without anyone stopping to question whether it's worth getting worked up about.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nothing was moved, the grand jury's term was extended. Which may really be because someone thought they wouldn't finish during the original term.

Exactly how long do you think they need?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wateroverfire posted:

If you want, just read it as this:

Not every interaction between a black person and ______ is because of racism and claiming racism when the facts or the law suggest otherwise degrades the quality of the discussion and makes it hard to take you all seriously - you sound just like the tumblr SJW's you mock in other contexts. There's plenty of actual racism to get incensed about so LOL at _______ who is all butthurt about _______ and at the circle jerk that has developed without anyone stopping to question whether it's worth getting worked up about.

Nah, I'm just going to read it as shorthand for how you're an unfunny idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about but damned if you aren't gonna whitesplain it to people anyway.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

wateroverfire posted:

Not every interaction between a black person and ______ is because of racism and claiming racism when ... the law suggest otherwise
It can be both. No otherwise required.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Can you do this somewhere else thanks.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

temple posted:

On grounds of reasonable suspicion he has the right to detain her to ask for ID, but does not have the right to continue to detain her if she declines to provide the ID.

In the recording, the officer specifically claims that he has probable cause, and that this required her to provide ID. If he really had probable cause then he had the right to detain or arrest her if she refused to provide it. He detained, but did not arrest her.

So once again the question is: did he have probable cause as he claimed or was he claiming to have probable cause in order to coerce her into providing her ID?

twodot posted:

I still have an issue here, of course it's not lawful to detain someone based solely on the content of the answer, but asking the question doesn't invalidate other reasons for being allowed to detain someone (it's fine to argue those other reasons didn't exist, or that the length of the detention wasn't justified by those other factors, but this bullet point isn't doing either of those).

I am only arguing that absent other evidence at the scene that could provide probable cause, merely declining to provide ID cannot in itself provide it. Never mind that the officer claimed that he already had probable cause.

edit: It certainly seems prudent for police officers not to claim probable cause if they don't have it.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 16, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If a police offer says the words "probable cause" then that means he has it. Click here to find out this one weird trick that black people hate!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Neo Duckberg posted:

I can't imagine a place where it would be more appropriately used than this thread.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Nah, I'm just going to read it as shorthand for how you're an unfunny idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about but damned if you aren't gonna whitesplain it to people anyway.

Letting things like "facts" and "laws" get in the way of someone's indignant rant about SOCIAL JUSTICE: whitesplaining.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

wateroverfire posted:

Letting things like "facts" and "laws" get in the way of someone's indignant rant about SOCIAL JUSTICE: whitesplaining.

Social justice: Something that is independent of laws, facts, and people laughing at white people telling minorities what it's like to be a minority.

Tell us how you feel about Political Correctness. :allears:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Zeitgueist posted:

I can't imagine a place where it would be more appropriately used than this thread.

I can.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

Social justice: Something that is independent of laws, facts, and people laughing at white people telling minorities what it's like to be a minority.

Tell us how you feel about Political Correctness. :allears:

Who's telling minorities what it's like to be a minority, Mr. Whitest-Man-In-This-Thread?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Seriously dude? It's a pretty appropriate term and if you're just kneejerking about "SJWs" or whatever that's pretty dumb.

wateroverfire posted:

Who's telling minorities what it's like to be a minority, Mr. Whitest-Man-In-This-Thread?

I glow in the dark but I'm also not making GBS threads on the idea of social justice, so where are you going with this?

Zeitgueist fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 16, 2014

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

wateroverfire posted:

Its ok he beats a black person just like the police do, he knows what they want.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

could someone tell me why the cops needed to identify her still if her husband was free to go? if they concede her husband is not a john, then how can they suspect she's a prostitute. if her husband is not charged with whatever you get charged with for having sex in public, how could she be?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Condiv posted:

could someone tell me why the cops needed to identify her still if her husband was free to go? if they concede her husband is not a john, then how can they suspect she's a prostitute. if her husband is not charged with whatever you get charged with for having sex in public, how could she be?

To hassle her because they realized they hosed up?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its ok he beats a black person just like the police do, he knows what they want.

This is really loving stupid. His consensual sex life has nothing to do with anything, but somehow it has become a thing in D&D to bring it up anytime he posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neo Duckberg posted:

You know this really is a thing, and the post he quoted is a perfect example of it. Apparently, black people don't know what real racism is or something and he has to explain it to us.

• Locked thread