Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
My eyes are bleeding and I'm gonna throw up because I hate rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Curious: A few months ago I began playing Pathfinder with some friends, and it actually seemed pretty straightforward (as a level 1 Alchemist of all things). How does Pathfinder compare to 3.5, is it just better/less convoluted? I definitely recognize the weird confirm crit system, but so far it seems to be going quite well at level 1. I'm somehow the most sturdy guy in our party, and I'm the team's caster.

Related to that and the potential answer, I'm also sort of curious as to why you opted to go with 3.5

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Bluhman posted:

Curious: A few months ago I began playing Pathfinder with some friends, and it actually seemed pretty straightforward (as a level 1 Alchemist of all things). How does Pathfinder compare to 3.5, is it just better/less convoluted? I definitely recognize the weird confirm crit system, but so far it seems to be going quite well at level 1. I'm somehow the most sturdy guy in our party, and I'm the team's caster.

Related to that and the potential answer, I'm also sort of curious as to why you opted to go with 3.5

Pathfinder is ridiculously streamlined and fun compared to 3.5. I've played two sessions of 3.5 and I barely understood what was going on the entire time, while in Pathfinder? I'm a level 11 Oracle in my main session, and having an absolute blast. Lore Mystery, yo. It's just more clearly explained, a lot of it is streamlined, and it has so many new fun things that are actually balanced around each other; while it still has the 'casters are gods' at later levels thing, it's less egregious it feels like? My group's Paladin is an absolute beast, though our Sorcerer is still by far the most powerful character we have.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Pathfinder is simpler than 3.5 (not nearly to the level that 4e is, and I am grateful for this). It's based on 3.5, so there's plenty recognizable between them (such as the not weird in the slightest confirmation rolls), but plenty of nice changes as well (casters are made of cardboard instead of tissue paper, some skills were combined, the Magus and Alchemist classes exist, simplified combat maneuvers rather than just throwing them out like 4e, full casters don't have to resort to weapons when the run out of 1+ spells, Smite Evil is better, the list goes on).

I think the only reason I could have for ever going back to 3.5 is to play a Warlock without resorting to 3rd party or homebrew.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 16, 2014

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon
This thread is getting too hung up on rules.

Instead your mission is to tell me the stupidest non-optimized character you've made in D&D 3.5, go!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

WolfShirt posted:

Instead your mission is to tell me the stupidest non-optimized character you've made in D&D 3.5, go!

Werehorse gladiator

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WolfShirt posted:

Monk named Goku

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Werehorse gladiator

now here's somebody who understands how to play elfgames

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Human Monk :smug:

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I played a 3.0 Monk in Neverwinter Nights.

Seeing as Monk is taken, however, I also played a Halfling barbarian who devoted all skill points and feats into parrying, again into Neverwinter Nights.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Golem bard! He was the worst.

SaltyMoose
Jan 4, 2013

no seriously stop
A monk who punches vampires. May or may not be based on JoJo.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

WolfShirt posted:

Conan the Librarian. Threw all my skill points into languages, he couldn't climb or swim but drat that orc could read.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

WolfShirt posted:

'stupidest' how? Stupid silly/amazing? I had a Warlock ascend to godhood by accident. I had a Ghost Rogue induce manliness in an elf (I pissed off and TK-disarmed him to the point that he killed me in one hit with a dagger). I had another Ghost Rogue play TK-"keep away" with a Sword Sage's axe (bit of advice for weapon users: bring extra weapons). I had a monk OHKO an Umber Hulk (big nasty bug).

Edit: forgot about my Ghost Pirate who demonstrated that I can use Telekinesis to deadly effect (not simply annoying, like the Rogues) by disarming and impaling soldiers on their own swords. And I dropped my ghost ship (because all ghost pirates have ghost ships) on an army, twice.
And there was my friend in the same campaign who was a Ninja who (thanks to verbal confusion and a DM who ran with it) held the minor artifact: the Wok of Two Miles.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 16, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

NullBlack posted:

I had a monk OHKO an Umber Hulk (big nasty bug).

Yep, had a mate do this once against an undead ogre with a monk. Supposedly the DM intended it to be the big end of dungeon monster :v:

Another mate of mine accidently released a demon from his confinement and became praticularly a demigod. The DM then had plans to turn him into the major villain for our campaign, except he then just got blasted into nothingness via our paladin succeeding several crits and calling in divine intervention to smite him there and then :v:

I had Marty McDie the Gnomish Fighter who had to be written out of a campaign because he was too kickass at killing undead, and the DM only knew how to do/write campaigns revolving around undead. He went on to craft a vapour blade which transported anything it cut to the elemental plane of life :ghost:

Oh and Brussel the Pixie Barbarian. He beat a man to death with his own leg, by that I mean Brussel's own leg :black101:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 16, 2014

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
A desert dwarf sun cleric who was the nicest character in the world. He never defeated a single monster but he did convince several significant NPCs and most of the party to turn from their evils ways and embrace the glory of the sun. \o/

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

WolfShirt posted:

A mimic Adept/Expert

Slightly stretching the non-optimized clause because I was testing some alternate baselines for LA calculation.
This guy was built entirely as an advanced monster(but treating npc classes as real classes) for a mid-level one shot.

Still, Being a man eating wagon is one of my best gaming memories.

Fun Fact: mimics are less dense than wood and make excellent boats.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

WolfShirt posted:

Paladin/Truenamer with high Int who just wanted to travel the world helping people and spreading the word of a God of Storms who showed up and saved his village in return for Mike becoming his personal herald/starting a new religion.

I was terrible at everything mechanical but running around gathering disciples and writing holy books and coming up with doctrine was fun as hell.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

medibot posted:

now here's somebody who understands how to play elfgames

I unfortunately never got to play him, but the Lycanthropy template I was using let me pick any creature to morph into and as long as they weren't higher than CR1 it didn't impose Level Adjustment. The Gladiator Class was also sort of wonky in that it was a Combat Maneuver based class and also got a penalty to all skill checks when it wasn't in an urban environment, but it was supposed to be a city based campaign so I didn't think that would be too bad.

The template gave me a big bonus to strength and a small one to Con in exchange for a hit to Charisma, but I could also use my combat stat for perform checks and neat things because of my class. Also I had a bite attack and could turn into a horse. My plan was to be an esteemed gladiator by evenings and a crimefighting vigilante by night, using my horse form to avoid detection while I looked for crimes before finding a good place to transform into a human, ambush the criminals, knock everyone out and then turn back into a horse to avoid detection/gallop away before the guards could see me.

It was also a no-magic campaign where anything supernatural was looked at with suspicion at best and murderous intent at worst, so it was important that my identity wasn't found out. Therefore I had way too many points in both Bluff and Disguise Self, as well as Perform (Combat).

Man, now I wanna get a chance to play this dude/make him in a much better system.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Man, now I wanna get a chance to play this dude/make him in a much better system.

Someone pleased find this Werehorse a home(campaign).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I had a changeling Wizard/Shadowcaster who always changed his/her body at least once every couple of hours. No comment or anything, s/he was just sometimes an old dwarven woman and sometimes a malnourished elf, didn't ever use it for mechanical benefit. In fact, I'm pretty sure I avoided social skills altogether, despite having the charisma for it.

Then there was the time I played in a 3.5/PF based Final Fantasy system where I was basically trying to play Quina from FF9 as a Power Ranger.

Neither of these games lasted very long, though.

I once went through as much of 3.5 as I could, picking out all the spells that summon or otherwise specifically affect swords in order to make a swordomancer. I should finish that up sometime.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

I know how you feel. I've been lookin' for a game to use my Barbarian Pixie in.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Just saying the last DnD thead here hooked me up with a bunch of other people looking to start a game, maybe go over to TG and set up a recruitment thread or an online game finder thread.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

WolfShirt posted:

Discounting the time I played a Monk from levels 1-9 (with only the core rules to boot), I also played a ranger. Elf, got up to level 11, and I was trying to be both Two-Weapon-Fighter and Archery spec with only access to core rules. Then someone showed up with a fighter made with the Complete Series books and all that other poo poo and it blew my piddly ranger out of the water, even with my limited spellcasting. This is not getting into the usual "Actual Spellcasters torpedoing encounters" issue.

As for stupid (and fun), while this is less unoptimized than the previous I played a Half Ogre "Noble" (Fighter2/Barbarian5/Frenzied Berserker 2 by the end of his life) for an "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" game. I could have made him a lot better, admittedly, but if you're not using the Tome of Battle this is sadly one of the better melee builds you can make. Still, was a lot of fun since my skills were all social ones and somehow I was the party face (it was a really bad party, is what I'm saying). It was funny having our DM basically make the peasants freak out because of our Dwarven Rogue or our Elf cleric, but my 9-foot tall monster got a pass because he was in a top hat and talked (really, boomed loudly) well.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Barbarians are legit, man. You might just be full attacking, but you'll keep up with a Warblade if you can pull it off consistently.

High-Water Marx
Dec 30, 2007

History is nothing but the actions of men in pursuit of gnarly waves

WolfShirt posted:

A dwarven druid with a pet boar who was obsessed with hunting out and digging up truffles.

At one point the boar consumed a poisonous and/or psychotropic truffle. That launched us into a mini-adventure inside the boar's hallucination where we had what amounted to a children's crayon drawing of a map and group operation of a tripping boar. :catdrugs:

High-Water Marx fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 16, 2014

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!
I made a gnome binder who could not swim and did not have a good acrobatics ability in a game where we were playing as pirates, pretty often, I would take a vestige with Water breathing and proceed to mess up on swinging to the ships we were moving between and sink to the bottom of the ocean while the fights were occurring... All in all, fun game for all the wrong reasons.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
It's not particularly un-optimal because it's still a full caster, but I always wanted to (but never got around to actually doing so) play a Shadowcaster/Wizard (They never get any attention. Everyone remembers binders and truenamers! Albeit the latter for unfortunate reasons) multiclass that grabbed the theurge prestige class for them that had a weird counterspell focus. I would then have spent most of my time smugly counterspelling any enemy caster encountered over and over. Basically a M:tG blue mana user.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Everyone remembers Binders and Truenamers because Shadowcasters were just gothy wizards.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Barbarians are legit, man. You might just be full attacking, but you'll keep up with a Warblade if you can pull it off consistently.

They can be, yeah, and the build in question was pretty gross, but it could have been a lot worse. This character was before "Complete Champion," for instance, so I couldn't get Lion Totem Barbarian or whatever it was and trade Fast Movement (woo +10 feet a round) for Pounce (can perform a full attack on a charge). Plus I didn't really understand power attack rules, so I wasn't using that all that well, but between putting my one 18 roll into strength and the various sick stat bumps you got from Reckless Rage and Frenzy (as well as being a Half Ogre) meant my damage output was still obscene. This'd be a halfway passable character in most parties, but since my party consisted of a Rogue who didn't understand flanking/sneak-attacks/Attacks-of-Opportunity, a Cleric who thought the job was entirely healing and Turn Undead, and a Telepath Psion (in a Ravenloft game, mind; Telepathic attacks don't work well against Undead, is the short version), and I was party VIP even despite the occasional attack against my teammates.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Werehorse gladiator

Requesting we put this thread on hold til we hear the full story of this character

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Night10194 posted:

Everyone remembers Binders and Truenamers because Shadowcasters were just gothy wizards.

Well, people remember Truenamers because the class literally doesn't work, Binders are actually a pretty solid class choice and a load of fun to play. Shadowcasters may be strong-ish, but I wouldn't know because most of their mysteries do the same thing as spells, only a Sorcerer and a Wizard has access to more.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Mountain Lightning posted:

Plus I didn't really understand power attack rules,

Frenzy

Frenzied Berserker is worth is purely for the power attack upgrade. I'd kill to throw that on Rockmeats.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Drakkel posted:

Requesting we put this thread on hold til we hear the full story of this character

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

I unfortunately never got to play him, but the Lycanthropy template I was using let me pick any creature to morph into and as long as they weren't higher than CR1 it didn't impose Level Adjustment. The Gladiator Class was also sort of wonky in that it was a Combat Maneuver based class and also got a penalty to all skill checks when it wasn't in an urban environment, but it was supposed to be a city based campaign so I didn't think that would be too bad.

The template gave me a big bonus to strength and a small one to Con in exchange for a hit to Charisma, but I could also use my combat stat for perform checks and neat things because of my class. Also I had a bite attack and could turn into a horse. My plan was to be an esteemed gladiator by evenings and a crimefighting vigilante by night, using my horse form to avoid detection while I looked for crimes before finding a good place to transform into a human, ambush the criminals, knock everyone out and then turn back into a horse to avoid detection/gallop away before the guards could see me.

It was also a no-magic campaign where anything supernatural was looked at with suspicion at best and murderous intent at worst, so it was important that my identity wasn't found out. Therefore I had way too many points in both Bluff and Disguise Self, as well as Perform (Combat).

Unfortunately this is all there is! I'm almost definitely gonna try to recreate him for whenever I add another game to my list (currently playing in 2 and GMing 1)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Frenzied Berserker is worth is purely for the power attack upgrade. I'd kill to throw that on Rockmeats.

I'm a wizard player and I was trying out something different because I was tired of being the power-character in the group, while still wanting to be useful. However, as you can probably see from what my group was composed of, they're not too familiar with a lot of D&D stuff nor how to play stuff effectively, so it's not exactly hard to overshadow them. There's a reason I quit playing 3.5 beyond it just being a mess, and that's because you either get people who have no clue what they're doing or you get someone who shows up to every game with a horribly broken and questionably legal character that wins the game by snapping their fingers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Not 3.5, but in my group for 4e, there's a person who only plays useless bards. She was legitimately disappointed when she found out that bards were useful in 4e.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Pretty much this. Truenamers have the kind of flavor that makes you want to fix the class. Shadowcaster was mechanically solid, but a bit bland.

Binders rock though. Great flavor, mechanically viable and (I've heard) fun to play, too.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Literally, considering the thing where you have to make a will save to not attack your party.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Well, I don't want frenzy

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Hey frenzy is awesome for inadvertently team-killing your party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

Whycalibur posted:

Golem bard! He was the worst.

Did a warforged bard once. She was actually pretty amazing! Then she fell off Sharn.

Actual worst character: ghoul monk. None of us understood monster-as-character rules at the time. Most notable for getting constantly turned by our own party's cleric.

• Locked thread