Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Chairman posted:

That isn't even a thing. I'm not sure where that guy got his idea that personal housing is tied to your sub.

I think people are extrapolating from the rule on FCs relinquishing their house and land if no one in that FC logs in for a month? If FC houses and personal houses are functionally identical (which they appear to be prima facie), it logically follows that the relinquishment if not logged in for a month would also be the same, so if you don't sub, you lose your house (because you aren't logging in for a month).

E: Unless that got walked back. I never heard anything more about it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Rei_ posted:

You mean until roving gangs unified under powerful warlords and started drawing larger and larger claims on territory in a bloody, unending faction war

because even then that sounds pretty dope

And you guys say you don't like eve. :)

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Kyrosiris posted:

I think people are extrapolating from the rule on FCs relinquishing their house and land if no one in that FC logs in for a month? If FC houses and personal houses are functionally identical (which they appear to be prima facie), it logically follows that the relinquishment if not logged in for a month would also be the same, so if you don't sub, you lose your house (because you aren't logging in for a month).

E: Unless that got walked back. I never heard anything more about it. :shrug:

It did, yeah. You only lose a house if you relinquish it or delete your character.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Last night, duty roulette put me in my first run of Dzamael Darkhold and another player asked me to stop casting sleep on groups and use AoE damage instead. Any idea what they were talking about? Freeze gives terrible damage, flare wouldn't be unable yet, and don't fire and ice 2 suck?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Chairman posted:

It did, yeah. You only lose a house if you relinquish it or delete your character.

Ah, okay. I never heard anything about it after the initial "hey this is a thing we're doing" so I didn't know if it got repealed or not. That ameliorates that.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

pksage posted:

If you ignore the expectations vs. reality angle of this, which I agree is some major bullshit, I have to pragmatically ask why people are so hung up on housing. I don't think that gardening explains everyone's desire to have a house, though that's a strong reason. Do other MMOs allow fully personal housing? If they do, is it instanced instead of open-world (another way they could have made this work)? My only previous experience is FF11, which was basically FC housing personal rooms.

Again, looking for reasoning beyond "because Yoshi-P said we could and then we couldn't" or "gardening".

A lot of games do offer housing, but they (usually) function as nothing other than a money/gil and time sink to make them look pretty. Technically the same thing as our current housing situation except that things such as Thavnairian Onions are tied to the gardening. Ultimately the people complaining are complaining because (ignoring money and time constraints with the houses selling like hotcakes):

1) They actually wanted a house because of personal gardening
2) They wanted a house because they wanted their "A MAN'S CASTLE", but don't care about the gardening
3) Need a good reason to complain

Basically the first group of people are sad because they want to break into gardening and either don't have an FC house that will let them use the gardens, or an FC house at all. Everyone else either thinks they care about gardening or doesn't realize that there's more to it than "put the seed in the bed", assuming they want minions/onions.

Long story short, it's a good chance to complain and people love to complain

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Death Zebra posted:

Last night, duty roulette put me in my first run of Dzamael Darkhold and another player asked me to stop casting sleep on groups and use AoE damage instead. Any idea what they were talking about? Freeze gives terrible damage, flare wouldn't be unable yet, and don't fire and ice 2 suck?

Crowd control isn't a thing in this game, because every trash pack is easy to survive if you don't pull the whole dungeon. Blizzard 2 sucks, but Fire 2 is really good and a very important part of being a BLM.

Samba De Amigo posted:

Long story short, it's a good chance to complain and people love to complain

Thanks for your post. I agree with the room planters, then, especially if they made it a single pot and you couldn't cross-breed but still grow your own minions or whatever.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Death Zebra posted:

Fire 2 is the bomb and your standard AoE move until Flare bursts onto the dance stage at 50. Get yourself into astral fire and use it as your primary damage as long as you're hitting at least 3 targets with it. Once you're down to two switch back to Fire 1 for your damage.

Granted, in DF parties the benefit of this can vary. I'm guessing that in this specific situation, you had a good tank and healer which could both keep hate on multiple targets despite a lot of AoE damage and could be kept alive while you were doing it. Those are not always the case and you have to adjust for weaknesses in the party if they appear. Generally you should always try to go for the AoE option and scale back if you're pulling hate or the tank is dying.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I just wanted a house to be able to chill out with a smaller (one person) group and decorate as I please. v:geno:v

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

pksage posted:

Crowd control isn't a thing in this game, because every trash pack is easy to survive if you don't pull the whole dungeon. Blizzard 2 sucks, but Fire 2 is really good and a very important part of being a BLM.

Thanks for your post. I agree with the room planters, then, especially if they made it a single pot and you couldn't cross-breed but still grow your own minions or whatever.

If I remember correctly all the minions require cross-breeding as well, so it would have to be a multi-slot planter or allow cross-breeding from nearby planters or something weird.

That or we just leave cross-breeding to housing gardens, which isn't that bad either.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Samba De Amigo posted:

If I remember correctly all the minions require cross-breeding as well, so it would have to be a multi-slot planter or allow cross-breeding from nearby planters or something weird.

That or we just leave cross-breeding to housing gardens, which isn't that bad either.

You need to cross-breed to get the seeds, but I believe the seeds are MB-able and then you can grow one yourself. Getting money from crossbreeding can be another benefit for the 1% I guess?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

pksage posted:

Do other MMOs allow fully personal housing? If they do, is it instanced instead of open-world (another way they could have made this work)? My only previous experience is FF11, which was basically FC housing personal rooms.

Yeah, several other previous and current MMOs do. Heck you can get a personal apartment (instanced) in DCUO even on a free account. EQ2 let individuals buy their own houses way back when, which was even possible with pre-endgame levels of money. I only remember this because I actually hit level 50 inside my house.

In almost every case it's just a prestige / lifer thing to have your own MMO house. Having access to a private garden and stable is a pretty strong mechanical incentive to get a house in FFXIV though. People would be bitching about this anyway but that plus the sudden inability for new / smaller FCs to obtain plots for themselves seems to be dumping fuel on the fire

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

The Chairman posted:

That isn't even a thing. I'm not sure where that guy got his idea that personal housing is tied to your sub, but it's false.

They were planning on having housing plots go back up on the market if nobody entered the house for some long period of time, but they shelved that after people complained that it wasn't fair that they'd lose their house even if they logged in every day just because they couldn't be bothered to stand in their house once every two months.

I didn't mean that it's literally tied to your sub, but a monthly sub is 30 days, and I saw a dev post saying houses will go back up for sale if nobody enters them for 35 days starting from patch 2.3. Was this definitely not implemented? If so then my mistake.

e; I can't seem to find anything that either confirms or denies whether this is in the game :iiam:

Bland fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 16, 2014

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

pksage posted:

If you ignore the expectations vs. reality angle of this, which I agree is some major bullshit, I have to pragmatically ask why people are so hung up on housing. I don't think that gardening explains everyone's desire to have a house, though that's a strong reason. Do other MMOs allow fully personal housing? If they do, is it instanced instead of open-world (another way they could have made this work)? My only previous experience is FF11, which was basically FC housing personal rooms.

Again, looking for reasoning beyond "because Yoshi-P said we could and then we couldn't" or "gardening".

Why doesn't gardening explain everything? (I guess there's also Chocobo Stabling as it effects people who don't want to join an FC and reasonably expected personal housing to be a cheaper solution than becoming a one-person FC)

I mean, that's the only reason I had any interest in the housing at all (although the 'lose your house if you ever unsub for any amount of time' bit would have killed that interest even if the prices were reasonable.)

I really don't understand SE's intent with the gardening system at all. Why build such an elaborate system and then make it literally impossible for 99.9+% of your users to ever use it? Why deliberately create a way for the gil 0.1% to get even richer, for that matter? (Especially since people at that level are probably hoarding more and spending less? If the limiting issue for putting enough housing for the market to clear on the high-pop servers is server time instancing the houses, why not make an expensive indoor hydroponic planter instead?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Why does there need to be a game mechanics reason? It would be like if they released glamours but did it in such a way that only the first few hundred people to spend 3 million gil were allowed access to it. Do you need glamours? No, it's purely cosmetic. But it's a game system that people were excited about being able to use.

People were excited to be able to buy their own personal house to screw around with, even if they were just going to set it up once and forget about it. The fact that there are game mechanics tied to the system just increases the anger.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013
Mad about video games in this thread. Only thing I'm upset about is the ridiculous pricing. Whatever, I'll get one never.

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012

Velthice posted:

I like that you used the phrase "a slap in the face" unironically.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Real Reborn - Literally the Official Forums

Would it have made you happier if I had ironically included a gif of the new /slap emote?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

seannykun posted:

Mad about video games in this thread. Only thing I'm upset about is the ridiculous pricing. Whatever, I'll get one never.

To be fair the thing that makes me the maddest this patch is that the Ixali gloves didn't get +3 CP :doh:. I really just don't care much about housing as it is in the first place.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

CrimsonObserver posted:

Would it have made you happier if I had ironically included a gif of the new /slap emote?

No, because you're still stupid and wrong.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

You know that isn't going to fix anything. The small plots will be snapped up just as quickly by alts logging in moments after the server comes online just like this time. It's possible to get in on the action if you save up now and join the race, but it's still pretty silly.

I don't know that it even really matters with personal rooms except that SE has created this expectation, and players never, ever forget.

The main problem is that most players don't even have access to personal rooms because the norm is 1-9 player FCs and there are just plain far too many per server than SE anticipated with supply, so most FCs don't even have a house.

http://luckybancho.ldblog.jp/wsurvey_en.htm?world=Excalibur

Just on excalibur you can see here that well over half the sample are in FCs that are under 10 people. FCs are probably intended to be far larger and more encompassing. Instead the loudest voices for personal housing just want to not have anything to do with FCs which strikes me as strangely anti-social. And now just letting them buy housing plots on their own makes the FC housing shortage worse. They should just give rooms some garden functions and ditch the idea of personal houses cause people being forced to socialize in larger groups is a net positive.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Something not housing related which I just remembered happened to me this morning...

I'm leveling ACN now so I did my daily low-level roulette. Got placed into Copperbell with an awful MRD - pretty much the worst I've seen so far. He used Overpower exactly once throughout the whole run, no Flash, and in fact I'm almost certain he didn't use any abilities except for Heavy Swing. I checked his stats near the end and he had no other jobs unlocked - just MRD 35. :v:

Also, turns out FFXIV runs decently on my work laptop, so once I get my UI settings ported over I'll have something to keep me busy during my lunch hour.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The true great thing about the patch is more Revtoll expansion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Apathetic Panda posted:

Someone in my FC did the math and on my server even if they double the wards and no FCs bought a house, only 3% of the population would have a house. That's pretty discouraging, really.

Yes well housing is endgame and the unwashed masses are not worthy you see and :downswords:

Let players grow some potted plants in their FC rooms and most people won't care. Hell, if player housing doesn't end up with a shitload of wards in Mor Dhona, aka the loving adventurer nexus, then that's just a huge waste.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I wanted housing for the nostalgia factor from Ultima Online and SWG. Open world housing is pretty neat. I don't know what they're thinking with the current plan. Doubling the amount of space in the next patch will be like fighting a three alarm fire with a watergun.

Isn't the technology there to allow a combination of open world and instancing? Something like how WoW phases some of their zones?

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012

jerkstore77 posted:

Isn't the technology there to allow a combination of open world and instancing? Something like how WoW phases some of their zones?

Recently they mentioned that they actually already developed the open world phasing system for something they had to implement in the chinese version, though not related to housing and would look at its potential to be used in ours for things.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, they use it for China and are considering it on open world maps, like north Shroud.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Aurora posted:

The true great thing about the patch is more Revtoll expansion.

This is absolutely something I look forward to every patch. It's really cool. I wonder if Revenant's Toll will be "finished" by the time 3.0 rolls around, and we'll move on to something new (rebuilding Ala Mhigo???)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just realized one thing I want, quality of life-wise, more than almost anything.

Class colors. I have no idea what anyone's classes/jobs are at a glance whether out in the world or in chat. I know it was initially done by modders in WoW, but eventually blizz adopted it themselves.

Cmon give me colored names!

Since that's probably unlikely, guess I better keep on inspecting everyone til I learn.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

I'm leveling ACN now so I did my daily low-level roulette. Got placed into Copperbell with an awful MRD - pretty much the worst I've seen so far. He used Overpower exactly once throughout the whole run, no Flash, and in fact I'm almost certain he didn't use any abilities except for Heavy Swing. I checked his stats near the end and he had no other jobs unlocked - just MRD 35. :v:

I don't know what it is about Copperbell, the worst stuff always happens to me there, including a WHM who just typed *SIGH* every few fights, refused to heal, talked endlessly about how hard healing was, and how they wish they just kept playing on their BRD, *SIGH*. We wiped 6+ times.

Also just did Titan for the first time last week and got a WHM who fell off 4 times in a row and then ragequit.

Then another WHM who refused to heal until people were at 15% in Stone Vigil, viciously attacked our tank, and ragequit right before the final boss...

Are White Mages inherently ragey/terrible in this game or have I just had bad luck?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I caved and bought a personal house. But only because, as of 2 pm central, Jenova still had multiple small lots available in the old wards, meaning I got one that had already depreciated to ~1 mil. One of the few upsides of being on the lowest pop server I guess, and an acceptable price to pay to start up a private thav onion grow op :drugnerd:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So I'm at work, and I need to sperg all over something where everybody can see it and ridicule it so I can delete it in shame.

I feel like FFXIV is still being developed off of a hypothetical design document that had allowances made into its structure in case ARR was a flop, and had to go F2P in order to recoup the losses incurred. And that even though ARR has basically done the equivalent of coming back and beating from stage 4 cancer, the hooks and the damage is still there. Everything seems to be tuned to people who are willing to grind like gently caress (buy Relic boosters! Get a 20% increased chance of getting Atma/Alexandrite on drop!) or farm obscene amounts of gil. (The current thing with personal housing having the same cost as FC housing.) It feels like all the ways they added to make gil were just put in to cover up the lack of any gil boosters that the game would normally have revolved around as an economy-limiting measure. I stopped playing last time around just before the desynth stuff came out, and I even feel like there's the opportunity for the devs to sell extra desynth mastery capacity, or something. Hell, I'm surprised there aren't Materia meld % boosters or materia save items, because gently caress, those success rates drop off a cliff beyond the first.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Clearly the 1% has too much and we have too little. Join me, fellow 99%ers, for Occupy The Goblet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crown Face posted:

I don't know what it is about Copperbell, the worst stuff always happens to me there, including a WHM who just typed *SIGH* every few fights, refused to heal, talked endlessly about how hard healing was, and how they wish they just kept playing on their BRD, *SIGH*. We wiped 6+ times.

Mind explaining why you didn't votekick their worthless rear end?

The last time I did a LLDR with dead weight they kept going on about how they just wanted to get their daily credit and we could all just deal with it. So we dealt with it by votekicking him right before the last boss.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Samba De Amigo posted:

For you controller goons who have been mentioning this it looks like there's been some reports regarding it in the bugs forum

Thanks for the link, looks like they're already on it and it will probably be fixed rather quickly.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Coughing Hobo posted:

Warrior, as usual, is all about looking baller as hell.

drat straight!

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

Crown Face posted:

Also just did Titan for the first time last week and got a WHM who fell off 4 times in a row and then ragequit.

That's what I did my first time on Titan minus the ragequitting. I probably would have given up shortly thereafter if, on the 5th try, I hadn't miraculously stayed on even after being hit. It made me feel so bad that I didn't go back into another dungeon for over a week because I was afraid I just suck at this game.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

seannykun posted:

Yes, yes. Your detached indifference has been noted.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

CrimsonObserver posted:

Apparently you can now also /beckon the succubus like the opo-opo, 500 allied seals well spent.

Maus posted:

She likes to read

Joining the Scholars-with-Succubi club. :kimchi:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

PSA: Pharos Sirius music now loops constantly (using the 5 minute version, I think) through the whole dungeon, a la Lost City. Except boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Carver posted:

Thanks for the link, looks like they're already on it and it will probably be fixed rather quickly.

Yea on page 5 one of the Dev's posted a comment about looking into it, I'd expect to hear something back within a day or two.

• Locked thread