Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I would like to discuss what good smartphone wallpapers the new Puffin eshort covers make please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

The topics were Utopia, and who or what Missy is. We had moved on. We were talking about other things. :negative:

Speaking of, does the spoiler thread know the truth about Missy's identity? Because if so I'm going to go spoil myself.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Potsticker posted:

Speaking of, does the spoiler thread know the truth about Missy's identity? Because if so I'm going to go spoil myself.

No, but we have some pretty big pieces of the puzzle and know a massive spoiler about the finale that semi-relates to her.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If the Missy spoiler is out there, I very much want to take this opportunity to tell spoiler readers that "It's extremely disappointing," or "It's incredibly amazing" is also a kind of spoiler in spirit for many. It changes the way they watch the show. And, as Frank Costanza said, well... you know.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's rubbish. I have no idea what it is but there is a 90% chance it'll be rubbish.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Potsticker posted:

nope.

Which itself spoils that it won't be revealed next episode!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

No, but we have some pretty big pieces of the puzzle and know a massive spoiler about the finale that semi-relates to her.

If it's not the full deal I'll hold off, then. Thanks. The big spoiler is intriguing to know, but if it's not there I'm not sure if it's worth spoiling the episodes inbetween.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's rubbish. I have no idea what it is but there is a 90% chance it'll be rubbish.

Yeah, I've thought of all the different ways it could resolve that I possibly can and they're at absolutely best disappointing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I've thought of all the different ways it could resolve that I possibly can and they're at absolutely best disappointing.

My theory was I'd rather be dissapointed now than later.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Forktoss posted:

I would like to discuss what good smartphone wallpapers the new Puffin eshort covers make please

Not a big fan of the Fourth Doctor one, but it's really impressive how easily recognizable the rest of them are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Bicyclops posted:

My unabashed love for so many things this thread hates was likely caused by watching the entire revival from Rose to Day of the Doctor in about a month. I hated so much of Time of the Doctor, and it's the first episode I ever anticipated for any length of time. Same with Capaldi's first ep. It's easier to forgive things when you didn't anticipate them for weeks, months, or years.

I'm really worried about this one.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I don't really give a poo poo, I tend to only catch the episodes on Sunday at the earliest because I'm usually doing stuff Saturday evening. It's still bad without really looking forward to it that much!

Bicyclops posted:

No-one I've seen has come up with an idea that's not terrible. So Moffat needs to have come up with something good that doesn't come out of nowhere yet no-one has thought of it. This is unlikely.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No-one I've seen has come up with an idea that's not terrible. So Moffat needs to have come up with something good that doesn't come out of nowhere yet no-one has thought of it. This is unlikely.
Only guesses I've seen are a Tardis, The Master, newly-regenerated River Song, the Time Lady, and some villain from the classic days.

I really don't want any of those things, but if it has to be one of them, it'd better be The Master.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It really all comes down to the "He's my boyfriend~" line. There's almost no way you can resolve that that isn't kind of weird and cringeworthy.

I mean, unless it's the Master. Then it becomes maybe retroactively fantastic.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
heloooo new iPod wallpaper

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Missy is a woman that the Doctor took to THE WORST HAIR SALON EVER.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

DoctorWhat posted:

You and me both :hfive:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Android Blues posted:

It really all comes down to the "He's my boyfriend~" line. There's almost no way you can resolve that that isn't kind of weird and cringeworthy.

I mean, unless it's the Master. Then it becomes maybe retroactively fantastic.
I'm not a fan of making villains gay to make them more hate-able, but I still chuckle at "Has he still got the beard?" "No. Well, a wife," and I really shouldn't, but it's just delivered so well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Yup.

DoctorWhat posted:

Just as long as you steer clear of dressing any pets in the coat!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The cat goes on the coat. The coat does not go on the cat.

This is important

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So now the Doctor has a daughter, a wife twice over, and now a gIrlfriiend, I eagerly await Moffat's reveal of the Doctor's nursemaid, mistress, mother and third wife.

DoctorWhat posted:

Yuuuup, joining the nerd patrol here.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Siri, please change my wallpaper when I regenerate into Sylvester McCoy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The Six one is actually just Sylvester McCoy with a wig on anyway.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Weren't the robots trying to reach it?

I like that the big season arc has been dialled back a bit, since some of the previous ones (especially the one where "The Doctor" "dies") set up unreasonable expectations. Of course this might all be blown out of the water in a few episodes.
Yeah, the way Moffat set up a perfect season-wide "Search for Galifrey" plot and yet shows restraint in not using it right away makes me worried that he'll blow his load next season and we'll get a repeat of Series 6. :ohdear:

LividLiquid posted:

Only guesses I've seen are a Tardis, The Master, newly-regenerated River Song, the Time Lady, and some villain from the classic days.

I really don't want any of those things, but if it has to be one of them, it'd better be The Master.
It'll be all of those things. At once.

The ultimate combination of RTD and Moffat writing. :unsmigghh:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

The Six one is actually just Sylvester McCoy with a wig on anyway.

Would that make Eight abandonware?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Would that make Eight abandonware?

You can't download any wallpaper, but they did make a ringtone. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

Don't all rush off to buy it at once!

Having sold off all my vanilla release DVDs i.e. the "episodes-only" single discs that came out concurrently with the original broadcast) for the first four seasons, I've been meaning to replace them for a while. The options are a) the individual season box sets; b) the season one-to-four set that comes in one of those "horizontal" Universal Playback style boxes; and c) this plus season one. It's hard to decide.

Of course, it's all completely speculatory, since I'm between jobs at the moment and nobody's replying to my applications (I'm sure we've all been there). :(

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

Two years after I put this wallpaper on my iPhone, it leaped out of my hands onto the floor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

My unabashed love for so many things this thread hates was likely caused by watching the entire revival from Rose to Day of the Doctor in about a month. I hated so much of Time of the Doctor, and it's the first episode I ever anticipated for any length of time. Same with Capaldi's first ep. It's easier to forgive things when you didn't anticipate them for weeks, months, or years.

I'm really worried about this one.

This really explains a huge disconnect between certain fans and others.

No one will understand why I hate Season 6 so much, even if they don't agree with it, unless they too have to wait *MONTHS* between watching A Good Man Goes to War and Let's Kill Hitler.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I think I created a new fan yesterday:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TBE: It's about a guy who looks down on humans, goes where he wants and does what he feels like, and everybody loves.
Cat: Finally, somebody I can relate to!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Burkion posted:

This really explains a huge disconnect between certain fans and others.

No one will understand why I hate Season 6 so much, even if they don't agree with it, unless they too have to wait *MONTHS* between watching A Good Man Goes to War and Let's Kill Hitler.

Yeah it doesn't help the thing that season 6 was trying to have something resembling a plot throughout and taking a break in the middle hosed up the narrative.

Like it's one thing to interrupt something that has basically no continuity episode-to-episode and quite another to disrupt an ongoing narrative.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Going right from Good Man to Let's Kill Hitler made it really easy to love LKH. Sonic cane, Mels being Melody/River... all of it, really.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly the biggest part of the problem is that the 6 month break was part of that narrative. The Doctor says he's going to go out searching for Melody and find her and keep her safe and etc etc, and then the very next episode that whole thing is resolved.

It kinda works if you give Moffat the conceit that the Doctor was off doing exactly that for 6 months (or at least trying to find her), but when you watch the series in one go, there's no weight to it at all.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I think I created a new fan yesterday:

My cat stares at the TV anytime the theme song plays. Then looks at me like "What the Hell was that?" Every time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jivjov posted:

Honestly the biggest part of the problem is that the 6 month break was part of that narrative. The Doctor says he's going to go out searching for Melody and find her and keep her safe and etc etc, and then the very next episode that whole thing is resolved.

It kinda works if you give Moffat the conceit that the Doctor was off doing exactly that for 6 months (or at least trying to find her), but when you watch the series in one go, there's no weight to it at all.

For the life of me, I can't understand why Moffat didn't throw Mels into the picture earlier in the season. Like, if you are going to pull the X character was Y all along! trick, don't introduce them in the same episode. I will forgive a lot of what some might classify as bad writing, but jesus christ that was inexcusable.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

For the life of me, I can't understand why Moffat didn't throw Mels into the picture earlier in the season. Like, if you are going to pull the X character was Y all along! trick, don't introduce them in the same episode. I will forgive a lot of what some might classify as bad writing, but jesus christ that was inexcusable.

Really he should've introduced her in Eleventh Hour if he had the hindsight to do so.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's not possible, but it really does feel like he went "Holy poo poo I JUST realized something that I could do that'd shut up all of those whiner whiney whiner babies about how "growing up with her isn't the same as raising her" the tossers. They'll NEVER suspect this amazing twist!"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I know it's not possible, but it really does feel like he went "Holy poo poo I JUST realized something that I could do that'd shut up all of those whiner whiney whiner babies about how "growing up with her isn't the same as raising her" the tossers. They'll NEVER suspect this amazing twist!"

Honestly I'm surprised, and disappointed that the Angels in Manhattan didn't end with Amy and Rory meeting the young River Song wandering the streets after having regenerated and actually getting to raise her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly I'm surprised, and disappointed that the Angels in Manhattan didn't end with Amy and Rory meeting the young River Song wandering the streets after having regenerated and actually getting to raise her.
The years don't even come close to matching, and it was already established that River was raised by The Silence.

• Locked thread