Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hasn't there generally been far fewer maxes since they cost more than half your resource pool now????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Hasn't there generally been far fewer maxes since they cost more than half your resource pool now????

Fewer than when they cost 350 but they're still so much more common than before the resource revamp. Same thing with grenades, the "grenade spam in every base" meta arrived with the resource revamp as well. I'd still like to see either a timer on maxes or a drastic nerf to their dps potential.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The one true solution to all problems MAX remains the same: give them friendly collision. Trying to overwhelm a capture point with an unstoppable wave of :fuckoff: suits? Well first you have to trickle them through the door and up the stairs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

o muerte posted:

Fewer than when they cost 350 but they're still so much more common than before the resource revamp. Same thing with grenades, the "grenade spam in every base" meta arrived with the resource revamp as well. I'd still like to see either a timer on maxes or a drastic nerf to their dps potential.

Yeah, I was all for the shared resources thing cause of the grenade spam beforehand. But christ its like nothings changed and the grenade spam has gotten even worse. I remember one fight from the Mao south gate to abandoned NS there was one chucklefuck who was literally throwing grenades into the point room, walk back to an infantry terminal, resupply, repeat for like 8 minutes until we got pushed out, then had nanites left over to constantly pull tanks.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Every since the nanites revamp I can count number of times I've been out of nanites on one hand, and most of those follow the pattern 'pull scythe, get jumped right outside warpgate, immediately warp to lost cause and make the incorrect decision to pull a MAX'

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

When the game first came out vehicles dominated infantry, hard. To the point of it being unfun a lot of the time.

Oh, I'm well aware of how vehicles used to be. SOE has done a great job of making vehicles less of a "gently caress you, I win" device, but I'm also not sure why people think MBT life expectancy is somehow in need of improvement. But hey, maybe the numbers really do tell a different tale; what do I know? I think they're in a pretty good spot right now, but I'm also biased as a primarily infantry-based player whom usually only jumps into vehicles for strict counter roles (e.g. Skyguard, AP tank hunters, Coyote rear end in a top hat, etc)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you aren't running out of nanites, you aren't throwing enough stickies.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Chance posted:

You also pay for C4 everytime you use it whether successful or not. The cost comparison is right up there with "I spent 60,000 certs on it, I shouldn't be killable by players who spent 700". Learn to look up, it's where all a tanks natural predators are. Prox radar for the rest.
People asked why tank battles are a bunch of sissies poking at each other at max range. Well, the answer is that a tank that doesn't do that gets its poo poo hosed up immediately. We can't simultaneously mock tank players for their cowardice (or at least point it out) and then turn around and say they just want to be invincible farmers when they want to be capable of doing something other than that. I mean poo poo, some of the more legendary Magrider drivers on Emerald occasionally get smack-talked for fleeing at the slightest hint of damage, but what the gently caress else are they supposed to do? That's the smart strategy. Except it strikes me more as the sort of strategy you'd expect out of a Harasser, as that's basically what the Harasser is balanced around. Tanks should probably be balanced around having more persistent presence and be more for anti-vehicle and Sunderer hunting than farming infantry. That said, you can't just beef up MBTs, because there's a problem.

The issue is the HE cannons (and the PPA). Their KPH is absurdly high for anything in this game, and this is after God knows how many nerfs. As long as tanks can kill infantry with this poo poo then I totally agree that they need to remain vulnerable. But I'd rather see tanks be more interesting with a clearer anti-vehicle role so they stop making GBS threads up infantry fights and thus require trivial infantry-based counters to allow infantry to have any fun.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is it wrong to want cosmetic armor for my Flash that makes it look like a jetski? That might justify the empty wet parts of Hossin.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
My ideal situation would be shunting things around so the Lightning is preferred to the MBTs for infantry-farming and the MBTs are more specialized for anti-armor or bunker-busting (turrets etc.) This may entail the MBTs get more survivable and less artillery-like idk.

The Lightning would backboning most of the ground combat roles here, but unless SOE gives the Harrasser a Skyguard kit or introduces more tankish vehicles I don't see any way to avoid it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dexters Secret posted:

is Zealot Overdrive still a pile of floppy dicks

The only thing more useless than ZOE right now is the new VS pistol. It's a charge up pistol that you can't charge up while cloaked and you can't do anything but walk with it charged. The most :soe: piece of poo poo ever.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I don't understand how so many people complain about never-ending grenade spam. Before the resource revamp, I could camp an infantry resource tower with max bando AV/Revive/Frag/Stickies and rake in resources for new nades faster than I could spend them. After the change, I can't throw 30-120+ nades in a single fight, then pull a vehicle/esf and go somewhere else. It's probably for the better, but how is the average player apparently throwing more nades?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Lightning appears to be intended as a backbone vehicle, since they went ahead and made it everywhere-spawnable. So making it the all-rounder ground vehicle that can fill any given role (but only once per pull) sounds about right. And Lightnings have decent speed and handling but aren't too hard to kill. The balance on Lightnings seems just right at the moment, at least post-Viper-rebuff-renerf.

Also honestly I'm curious what a Skyguard kit would do for the Harasser that a Walker on it can't already do. I know it's quite rare to see anybody pull a Harasser with a Walker on it for AA work (especially when you could pull a Sunderer that has two), but it's still a potentially valid use, especially against ESFs.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Retool the pistol into a ZOE powerglove. You move at sprint speed and sprint at ESF speed with it out. Each shot is 500 damage with no drop off and Sirius advanced laser hip fire COF. Triple its mag and double the ROF, remove the charge up. The downside is you lose your health bar and just have your shields as recharging health. If you equip Nanoweave or flak your health bar comes back though. You also glow with super saiyan spandex energy.

Finally, we could get some real balance for PS2. But the devs are afraid of giving the VS something good.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Oohhh no wonder Planetside 2 has been getting so much work done as of late, it's coming out for the PS4.

A second chance at glory

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Dexters Secret posted:

is Zealot Overdrive still a pile of floppy dicks

It is the worst.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Can anyone think of any use for ZOE now that Charge doesn't replicate better? I mean one can say pretty much the same about Aegis but I can at least think of one or two possible things Aegis can do that Charge can't.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Adding a handicap so you don't feel so bad about pulling a max ?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The best tank answer is to give its hull a crazy amount of hps then give it modules that are easier to destroy. Make the hull have 50k hps but the engine/weapons/optics only have like 4k hps. This way you can disable tanks but a disabled tank can always be repaired unless someone bothers to sit around and kills the hull.

Rear shots will hit the engine,
Engine health: 60% you move at a slower speed
Engine health: 30% you can no longer traverse your turret
Engine health 10-0% you are immobile

Weapon shots will be like headshots,
Weapon health: 70% CoF is added
Weapon health: 50% slower reload speed
Weapon health: 30-0% unable to fire your weapon

Small arms will be able to damage secondaries.

Optics will be affected by EMP, basically a conc/flash for tanks.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
For 50k hull HP people could just pull a line of MBTs across roads and block Sunderers from getting past by sheer virtue of the collision meshes. Just drive them into a blockade line and abandon them.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Nakar posted:

Can anyone think of any use for ZOE now that Charge doesn't replicate better? I mean one can say pretty much the same about Aegis but I can at least think of one or two possible things Aegis can do that Charge can't.

Really they should just retool them into teamwork abilities. The NC Aegis shield buffs splash damage resistance of friendlies nearby, the TR one could give them 5-10% ROF boost (maybe depends on gun, coming out to roughly +50 RPM at max rank), VS one could increase move speed and AOE sensor shield (normal rules apply like no sprinting or you show up on radar anyway). Maybe the TR one could do something else that isn't offensive based, but I can't think of any good utility for TR. Their faction utility tends to be "murder the gently caress out of things."

Buff EMP grenades to disable vehicle weapons for a few seconds like PS1, but also turn off MAX weapons. :getin:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Nakar posted:

Still the only way to light up like a christmas tree.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Nakar posted:

For 50k hull HP people could just pull a line of MBTs across roads and block Sunderers from getting past by sheer virtue of the collision meshes. Just drive them into a blockade line and abandon them.

I feel like this is how it would work IRL.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Still the only way to light up like a christmas tree.

You can just stand in the aura of a medic's shield dong. Bonus: it works as any class!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Westy543 posted:

Buff EMP grenades to disable vehicle weapons for a few seconds like PS1, but also turn off MAX weapons. :getin:

Also let them temporarily disable repair guns and med tools so I can toss an emp at a max that has 30 engineers fix him and laugh as he promptly dies. Also to follow up in a room that has been naded so the medics can't revive in seconds.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nakar posted:

The Lightning appears to be intended as a backbone vehicle, since they went ahead and made it everywhere-spawnable. So making it the all-rounder ground vehicle that can fill any given role (but only once per pull) sounds about right. And Lightnings have decent speed and handling but aren't too hard to kill. The balance on Lightnings seems just right at the moment, at least post-Viper-rebuff-renerf.

Also honestly I'm curious what a Skyguard kit would do for the Harasser that a Walker on it can't already do. I know it's quite rare to see anybody pull a Harasser with a Walker on it for AA work (especially when you could pull a Sunderer that has two), but it's still a potentially valid use, especially against ESFs.

I think the issue here is that balancing the game for a handful of players vs balancing it for 50 v 50 hour-long slugfests requires a totally different approach. The rock-paper-scissors method of vehicle balancing makes sense in small fights, but how's that apply when you've got twenty of everything smashing up against twenty of everything else? I think SOE is trying to balance by addressing the issues making the game unplayable one at a time, without knowing how it's going to impact the meta overall because there's not really a whole lot of precedence with this sort of game.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Azerban posted:

Every since the nanites revamp I can count number of times I've been out of nanites on one hand

Defending a tower today almost had me run out of nanites, claymores are expensive and they REALLY wanted to come in through that one door.

Also, Epic High Five stop using caps lock for your yell spam, I'd hate to put you on ignore in case you ever do a TR night on a night I'm not working.

Nakar posted:

When I'm playing VS Lightnings are the MBT, I don't think I've pulled a Magrider in over two months since I live longer in a Lightning. You pull a MBT and you get focused fired on, you pull a Lightning and most people will ignore you until you make a nuisance of yourself or there's nothing else to C4.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Westy543 posted:

Retool the pistol into a ZOE powerglove. You move at sprint speed and sprint at ESF speed with it out. Each shot is 500 damage with no drop off and Sirius advanced laser hip fire COF. Triple its mag and double the ROF, remove the charge up. The downside is you lose your health bar and just have your shields as recharging health. If you equip Nanoweave or flak your health bar comes back though. You also glow with super saiyan spandex energy.

Finally, we could get some real balance for PS2. But the devs are afraid of giving the VS something good.

Westy are you there? I think Arghy hacked your account

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is it wrong to want cosmetic armor for my Flash that makes it look like a jetski? That might justify the empty wet parts of Hossin.

Snowmobile flash for esamir

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Klowns posted:

Also, Epic High Five stop using caps lock for your yell spam, I'd hate to put you on ignore in case you ever do a TR night on a night I'm not working.

Wouldst thou ask a GINYU FORCE to not RULE? Verily but your request is the height of rudeness good sir.

It's Wednesday at 7pm EDT this week, does that work for you? It's really only viable on either Tues/Wed but it's flexible somewhat between the two! Oh which reminds me

WEHRMACHT WEDNESDAY
TR NIGHT 7PM EDT

"Where are you, Benfenso!" Edition

If you're not in K0TH hit me (FlakemoreBloodstab) up for an invite, and we may also have a public platoon. Nooks and Vehiclesides and Crippled autisms are of course always welcome!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Also, gently caress the haters, the GD-7F owns.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Fart Car '97 posted:

but all the other NC carbines own more :(

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think the only people who hate the GD-7F are TR.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gonkish posted:

I think the only people who hate the GD-7F are TR.

Don't you mean pine endlessly? All the TR I've seen would trade the Lynx for the GD7F in a heartbeat. :raise: I guess they hate it too because it's an 845 weapon not on TR (Serpent, Blitz, and Sirius are excluded). That said if you're going to use the GD7F like a shotgun, a Blitz will do you better.

So I figured out why the Magrider shot drops so much. It has all the bullet drop the other guns don't, combined. Balance! :eng101:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

but all the other NC carbines own more :(

On paper yes but in the right place (defending a biolab, anywhere you have access to ammo and aren't single-handedly shooting 3 guys at once) it's a loving great weapon.

Also holy poo poo stealth is great on the vanguard. I've only got it to level 3 and it feels like I'm invisible to other players unless I'm right up their rear end.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Also holy poo poo stealth is great on the vanguard. I've only got it to level 3 and it feels like I'm invisible to other players unless I'm right up their rear end.

Just wait until you max it out and ARE invisible to other players, even when you're right up their rear end and firing! The last rank is pretty expensive but I think it's worth it, I can pull you mine a couple times if you like to see if it's something that's going to make a difference for you

I run Stealth pretty much 100% now, it's fantastic. Of course Snuggles was almost a year ahead of all of us on this :(

Westy543 posted:

Don't you mean pine endlessly? All the TR I've seen would trade the Lynx for the GD7F in a heartbeat. :raise: I guess they hate it too because it's an 845 weapon not on TR (Serpent, Blitz, and Sirius are excluded). That said if you're going to use the GD7F like a shotgun, a Blitz will do you better.

So I figured out why the Magrider shot drops so much. It has all the bullet drop the other guns don't, combined. Balance! :eng101:

It's exactly identical drop/velocity-wise to the Lightning's Python cannons though, none of which are really pointed out as specifically bad. In fact the Lightning AP gets a ton of love around these parts.

Fart Car '97 posted:

It can kill, but it's the same story as the GR-22: too much reload for too little damage per mag. A Cylone has way more damage per reload and reloads way faster to boot, and for the same price a Bandit will serve the same purpose just as well.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Klowns posted:

Wtf why? Is it too loud?

Diagnosis: Spergers

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's a good gun for what it does, it's just that what it does isn't NC in the slightest.

It's probably too late for that, but I think NC shouldn't have any gun at 143 and under, and TR shouldn't have any gun at 167 and higher.

(Hardcore version of the same concept: no automatic guns for NC, only automatic guns for TR.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nakar posted:

I don't see a problem with this

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Wtf why? Is it too loud?

Diagnosis: Spergers

It does make my screen reader yell at me. I need to use one cause I reduced the UI quality to 15%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Epic High Five posted:

Just wait until you max it out and ARE invisible to other players, even when you're right up their rear end and firing! The last rank is pretty expensive but I think it's worth it, I can pull you mine a couple times if you like to see if it's something that's going to make a difference for you

I run Stealth pretty much 100% now, it's fantastic. Of course Snuggles was almost a year ahead of all of us on this :(

Snuggles was running stealth back when NAR was still by far the best defensive slot in the entire game. Yes, it makes sense *now*, at the time, a little less.

• Locked thread