Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

This seems better than going 2-10 but everyone still gushing about that great win against Iowa.

All of Rhoad's Signature Moments happened in seasons ISU finished with a losing record. So proud. So so proud.

Every ISU season ends with a losing record. Most of his wins have also come as an underdog, which is pretty easy to do when you're the underdog in basically every single game.

Plus we're totally going 3-9, not 2-10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Every ISU season ends with a losing record. Most of his wins have also come as an underdog, which is pretty easy to do when you're the underdog in basically every single game.

Which is worse, losing three straight to FCS teams or losing 3 of 4 to ISU? Or are these basically the same thing?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Which is worse, losing three straight to FCS teams or losing 3 of 4 to ISU? Or are these basically the same thing?

Two straight seasoning opening losses to FCS teams, thank you very much. We beat Western Illinois in 2012.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Mons Hubris posted:

They're actually pretty good now though???

Anyway, I didn't see this posted yet. Interesting recruiting tactics at Wake Forest: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/9/16/6222007/wake-forest-kim-kardashian

High schoolers care what People Magazine think? This is news to me.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

I don't remember those two being talked about much, but the sanctions happened after them. They played under Erickson and it sounds like it's starting with the rebuild under Davis.

Shockey didn't really start acting crazy until after he left, but Winslow was pretty funny in college. He did the Heisman pose and gave his "I'M A MOTHERFUCKING SOILDER" speech.

It was a portal from heaven, not a time machine, jeez. And he wasn't making anything in 2002, he got the big raise in 2004!

I have some serious issues with the accuracy of this comedy column, is what I'm saying.

He openly does not give a poo poo about non-conference and plays a style that makes it easy to lose games you shouldn't. Also when he got the job Iowa State was at its historic peak and and the Iowa program was a complete mess, but it hasn't been all that great since he turned it around either.

This seems better than going 2-10 but everyone still gushing about that great win against Iowa.

All of Rhoad's Signature Moments happened in seasons ISU finished with a losing record. So proud. So so proud.

saltyMourningview.txt

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Thoguh posted:

who else are you beating in this mythical realm

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

who else are you beating in this mythical realm

Kansas and Toledo.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
They might also have a shot against Texas and TTU.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Slate Action posted:

They might also have a shot against Texas and TTU.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Kansas and Toledo.

Thoguh posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Toledo (hoomos 4 lyfe) are putting up a bunch of yards despite losing. Iowa State is both putting up and giving up a bunch of yards and is losing games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

swizz posted:

losing 41-3 to Duke in football should be punishable by death

Duke isn't bad at football anymore. I bet they could beat several currently ranked teams. I really hope they don't destroy Tulane this weekend.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Toledo (hoomos 4 lyfe) are putting up a bunch of yards despite losing. Iowa State is both putting up and giving up a bunch of yards and is losing games.

They lost their QB to an ACL injury against Mizzou and then lost a starting DT last week.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thoguh posted:

They lost their QB to an ACL injury against Mizzou and then lost a starting DT last week.

And? They still put up nearly 600 yards on Cincinnati.

every
Apr 24, 2008

So much salt

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/uga-hears-back-from-sec-on-controversial-calls-vs-/nhNkG/

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And? They still put up nearly 600 yards on Cincinnati.

Yeah I can't pretend I watched anything other than the Mizzou game so maybe they figured things out. The backup was completely awful on that day though.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
Thank you, ESPN. This kind of introspective look at college football is why you are the valued leader in sports today:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Thoguh posted:

Kansas and Toledo.

I hope against all hope that we pull a Sam Richardson on you, burn a redshirt on a quarterback, and he absolutely torches your team.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Thank you, ESPN. This kind of introspective look at college football is why you are the valued leader in sports today:

How are they doing in games where at least one ticket-taker is a left-handed Vietnamese midget? This is important.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Probably Magic posted:

I hope against all hope that we pull a Sam Richardson on you, burn a redshirt on a quarterback, and he absolutely torches your team.

He was a redshirt freshman when he torched you guys, not a true freshman.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Thoguh posted:

He was a redshirt freshman when he torched you guys, not a true freshman.

We have this TJ Millweard. He truly will be the savior.

Look at this motherfucker:

That's a bowtie of destiny.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Probably Magic posted:

How many other Amish farm escapees have played Div 1 football?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dude used to be a UCLA commit, not sure why we'd ever let that beard transfer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

These are not the kind of recruiting tactics I expected out of Wake Forest of all schools. This feels more Tennessee/Florida to me.

It is a Tennessee recruiting tactic.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Probably Magic posted:

That man is a false prophet.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

VDay posted:

He also was a Virginia Tech commit!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

If enjoying my the bitter tears of my team's fans is wrong, there is no need to be right.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks to the big lead web site

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

VDay posted:

He had verbal to VT which then turned into a verbal at ASU and he's now at...Kansas?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

saltyMourningview.txt

Only that very last part and it was more making fun of thoguh than being mad about Iowa. At some point getting mad about them losing to someone they shouldn't is like getting mad at the grass for being green. Birds gonna fly, fish gonna swim, Kirk gonna lose to Iowa State and Northwestern. Happens in years we're bad. Happens in years we're good. Just gonna keep happening.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MourningView posted:

Only that very last part and it was more making fun of thoguh than being mad about Iowa. At some point getting mad about them losing to someone they shouldn't is like getting mad at the grass for being green. Birds gonna fly, fish gonna swim, Kirk gonna lose to Iowa State and Northwestern. Happens in years we're bad. Happens in years we're good. Just gonna keep happening.

How is attendance at Iowa games? Administrations don't usually make a change until mediocrity really begins to affect the bottom line. It is hard to see Iowa as better than a 6-6 team for the foreseeable future.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Komet posted:

How is attendance at Iowa games? Administrations don't usually make a change until mediocrity really begins to affect the bottom line. It is hard to see Iowa as better than a 6-6 team for the foreseeable future.

There's almost no way Iowa goes 6-6. If they can't find 4 four wins with this remaining schedule then Ferentz really does deserve to be fired.

@ Pitt
@ Purdue
Indiana
@ Maryland
Northwestern
@ Minnesota
@ Illinois
Wisconsin
Nebraska

I wasn't joking when I said they're gonna end up winning around 9 games and get into a JANUARY BOWL GAME and they'll forget about wanting to fire Ferentz until next year.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Meh, I think WVU gives OU more of a game than they want. I think OU is better than Alabama, but playing in Morgantown is no joke. Not sure which I'm more scared for the Bears to be playing, Morgantown or Norman. It's close.

Im scared of OU a lot more but im also scared of wvu. And iowa st. And all our away games really but OU the most for obvious reasons. Im hopeful about beating ok st at home in a good revenge game for buttering up the field and causing petty to slip and trip up his heisman chances last year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

They were better than that last year and will be better than that this year probably.

Attendance is okay. They're not selling out every game anymore but the program still makes lots of money and more or less keeps the whole athletic department afloat by itself.

They more or less cannot afford to fire him because of his buyout. And I don't even know if I want that. He's frustrating but he's still if not the best coach in school history certainly in the discussion (the other options would be Fry and Evashevski; his best seasons are better than Fry's unless you ignore record and AP rankings and just focus on making the Rose Bowl, and Evy left coaching early to be the worst AD in school history). Like I said, this isn't even a sign of the program in decline, it's something that's always happened. They lost to Iowa State in a season where they went undefeated in conference play and went to a BCS Bowl. They lost to Northwestern in a season where they won the Orange Bowl (a season where they also almost lost to Indiana and Northern Iowa).

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I wish there was a way to make Georgia fans bitching about referees my ringtone. Simon Belmont's theme is getting a bit old.

By the way Georgia's playing a team this weekend (Troy) who's 0-3 and lost at home to Abilene Christian last week so expect Gurley to either gain 1000 all purpose or play for like five minutes while Make-A-Wish kids get to try out for safety.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
That being said having a good, senior quarterback with good, senior wide receivers and lots of talent on WR and RB, along with a good O line and decent enough defense is pretty rare for any team not just Baylor, so if there's ever a chance we beat OU away this is the best shot we've had.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

There's almost no way Iowa goes 6-6. If they can't find 4 four wins with this remaining schedule then Ferentz really does deserve to be fired.

@ Pitt
@ Purdue
Indiana
@ Maryland
Northwestern
@ Minnesota
@ Illinois
Wisconsin
Nebraska

I wasn't joking when I said they're gonna end up winning around 9 games and get into a JANUARY BOWL GAME and they'll forget about wanting to fire Ferentz until next year.

lol are you really gonna keep pretending ISU would be any less dumb about the (admittedly really silly) new years bowl game thing? Rhoads would get a loving statue for making just one. He got a raise for going 6-7.

They sold money with Gene Chizik's face on it. Is there something weaker than glass? Because that is what the house you are hurling rocks from is made out of.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 16, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

lol are you really gonna keep pretending ISU would be any less dumb about the new years bowl game thing? Rhoads would get a loving statue for making just one. He got a raise for going 6-7.

Iowa fans constantly make a huge deal about January games even though the Big 10 generally has at least five bowl games in January, so even middling Big 10 teams play then. Even when both Iowa and ISU make a bowl there is still a constant refrain of "But your game isn't a January Bowl Game".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Iowa fans constantly make a huge deal about January games even though the Big 10 generally has at least five bowl games in January, so even middling Big 10 teams play then. Even when both Iowa and ISU make a bowl there is still a constant refrain of "But your game isn't a January Bowl Game".

Well we also usually have a better record and everything else too. And we also tend to, ya know, actually win those bowl games once and awhile. Playing a SEC team in the Outback Bowl or beating a ranked Big 12 team in the Insight is not exactly winning the Rose Bowl, but it's certainly a bigger deal than losing to Tulsa in Shreveport or wherever the gently caress that game happened regardless of what month those bowls take place in.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

VDay posted:

Better yet, he's from Texas.

And you know who else was a KU QB from Texas.

(Like, a billion of them because Kansas has no recruits, but the correct answer is Todd Reesing.)

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 17, 2014

• Locked thread