Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

Highlights from todays FFL:

Patch to 1.1 on Tuesday.
They're going to nerf the jump pads to not be a form of fast travel.

Nerfed fun by another 50%, preparations to go down to EVE levels are coming along nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Aww, I wonder how they're nerfing them? Adding a cooldown or just fixing the issue where it boosts you up from wherever you're facing? (The later which is such a hilarious bug tbh)

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Inimicul posted:

Highlights from todays FFL:

Patch to 1.1 on Tuesday.
They're going to nerf the jump pads to not be a form of fast travel.
:qq:

Oh well, I got my 50 beans' worth of use out of mine. I hope they make them last longer to balance out the cooldown they're almost certainly going to add.

Fina posted:

Aww, I wonder how they're nerfing them? Adding a cooldown or just fixing the issue where it boosts you up from wherever you're facing? (The later which is such a hilarious bug tbh)
I'm not at all sure that's a bug. It's immensely useful. Lots of abilities and effects work the same way.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The dark days are upon us, gentlegoons.

Was fun while it lasted.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Based on the way they were talking about it, they'll remove the part where it throws you in the direction you're facing and instead throw you straight up instead. I guess they'll be turning them into the jump pads that already exist in Thump Dump and used to exist at the base of Shanty Town. Someone brought up the idea of adding a cool down to it too and they were like "Meh. Maybe." The cool down isn't the thing that's causing concern.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Adding a cooldown would kill the one thing that makes it useful. Before I found out about the directional launch issue I just used it to leap over some of the larger hills and cliffs with my Afterburner-less frames. Some of the hills require 2-3 placements to scale so adding some minute long cooldown would make it faster to walk around and go back to ignoring that the jump pads even exist.

Aupuch
Jul 25, 2000
Forum Veteran

xxEightxx posted:

Right now I am looking to kick things off around 12:00pm pst Saturday. Hopefully we will have enough goons around to run Warfront without pubbies, I will be able to run it until 6 or 7pm. If any other goons want to start things up earlier\later please feel free.

I'm in.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-the-weapons-of-firefalls-elemental-destruction/

Seems Elemental Weapons are going to be the new thing, however Poison still has an rear end load of synergistic perks, unsure if they've really thought that out, they seem to have a track record for implementing new ideas without thinking of any implications... Still, new weapons are not impressing me, its like decorating a band-aid over a gaping wound by this point. Still they're considering it a major patch and there is more than just the colored projectiles for simplified guns. Regardless of the nagging, I've been waiting for another patch to hit to get back into the game, hah.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Who needs new things to do when you can do the same things over and over again but this time you're shooting blue? This is really underwhelming.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

JonusRockweller posted:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-the-weapons-of-firefalls-elemental-destruction/

Seems Elemental Weapons are going to be the new thing, however Poison still has an rear end load of synergistic perks, unsure if they've really thought that out, they seem to have a track record for implementing new ideas without thinking of any implications... Still, new weapons are not impressing me, its like decorating a band-aid over a gaping wound by this point. Still they're considering it a major patch and there is more than just the colored projectiles for simplified guns. Regardless of the nagging, I've been waiting for another patch to hit to get back into the game, hah.

This won't do it. Owpvp needed a good year to sort out. Raiding needed another 6 months, the new bc, hc bwa and kana need just one pass to balance loot. This game is still in beta, I don't give a poo poo what version they are on. I don't like to be doom and gloom but I don't think this game has a 10 year shelf life. I hope I am wrong.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

JonusRockweller posted:

People brought up the issue with poison weapons on the PTS forums and finally got FadedPez to see why it is a problem. Hopefully they do something about it, especially since they changed how Catalytic Poisons works in the latest PTS patch (it is now even better and scales with level).

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Nalin posted:

People brought up the issue with poison weapons on the PTS forums and finally got FadedPez to see why it is a problem. Hopefully they do something about it, especially since they changed how Catalytic Poisons works in the latest PTS patch (it is now even better and scales with level).

I think the main issue is that the ones leading the main changes in Firefall don't think like programmers, if they did it would offer some foresight into how some ideas would not be good in practice.

hug your babies
Aug 25, 2004
hug your babies
I've played about 30 hours. It's time to give R5 some of my money. $20 gets me enough red beans for a frame and a jump pad... that seems like a rip off for $20. Am I missing something? Is there a more efficient way to spend $20?

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

hug your babies posted:

I've played about 30 hours. It's time to give R5 some of my money. $20 gets me enough red beans for a frame and a jump pad... that seems like a rip off for $20. Am I missing something? Is there a more efficient way to spend $20?

Check to see if they're still cheaper in the form of credits. If its all good then go and sell the beans, but given the current bottleneck on the market it may take a little while.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Probably closer to 1pm pst for me, don't wait up if you guys got numbers

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I'm feeling a bit diminished now with no more events to do. People are just running around doing bandit camps. And I still have 1400 Omni Vouchers naturally. Was it too much to ask that they let the vendor remain for a few extra days?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I wonder if we'll keep access to any Arsenal perks we unlock once the frame trial ends.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Fina posted:

I wonder if we'll keep access to any Arsenal perks we unlock once the frame trial ends.

Well last time they did a trial for the Arsenal I leveled it some and kept the levels after even though I couldn't switch to it anymore so it stands to reason you do.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Morglon posted:

Well last time they did a trial for the Arsenal I leveled it some and kept the levels after even though I couldn't switch to it anymore so it stands to reason you do.

Yea I want to say they did this with the tigerclaw as well a long while back in beta, and I kept everything. Once I actually unlocked it, it unlocked at the level I got it to during the trial weekend.

hug your babies
Aug 25, 2004
hug your babies
Been trying out Arsenal this weekend. At any point does the primary weapon become better than melee?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
If you're looking at raw DPS then it's always better than melee. Granted, it is a dread frame so the damage per bullet is lower than other classes. Good thing you get a ton of them and a perk that keeps you from running out.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I would like to get into Goon Squad Inimcul, but sadly the registraion is closed.
Anything you can do?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Michaellaneous posted:

I would like to get into Goon Squad Inimcul, but sadly the registraion is closed.
Anything you can do?
/friend the officers of the guild. See if anybody is online.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
And then apply to Goon 2.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Inimicul posted:

And then apply to Goon 2.

Goon Mk2. Faster, stronger and more efficient than previous versions.

hug your babies
Aug 25, 2004
hug your babies
http://contest.mmosite.com/index.php/activity/sendkey/firefall_supporting_package_item_giveaway_event

FREE Package Giveaway Period
September 12 – October 12, 2014

Each Package will grant you:
Exclusive warpaint
30 days of VIP
100 red beans (In game currency)
Downloadable soundtrack and art book
An exclusive in game title

Check this site throughout the day. They add new keys every day, but only a few.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

hug your babies posted:

Check this site throughout the day. They add new keys every day, but only a few.
A side promotion meant for their ReaderApp that is going to get completely outdone by several thousand bots farming the page for a key. Haha

Edit: Hell on the sidebar crap load of results from tunglaghost's alts, lol

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So this Elemental update has me excited..
But nowhere do I see the option for Ice based weaponry.
FrostCat is a dream that I shall have to continue dreaming, not living ;_;

Have any of you played around much with this on the test servers? Is there anything noteworthy coming down the pipes?

hug your babies
Aug 25, 2004
hug your babies

JonusRockweller posted:

A side promotion meant for their ReaderApp that is going to get completely outdone by several thousand bots farming the page for a key. Haha

Several thousand bots? there's barely several thousand firefall players. I grabbed one last night using a spam email address and didnt use their app.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

hug your babies posted:

didnt use their app.
I went ahead and ran it through a vm and it doesn't even have a different pool of keys, so no reason to use it at all.

ALSO: steam just pushed a 2.7 GB update

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Reicere posted:

I went ahead and ran it through a vm and it doesn't even have a different pool of keys, so no reason to use it at all.

ALSO: steam just pushed a 2.7 GB update

I think the point with the app is that it makes your phone beep when keys are available.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
All of the patch notes are here.

One concern I have is if the new primary modifiers are straight upgrades or not. Do they do the same damage but as a different damage type, or do they do less damage but with DOT after hit?

I'm excited to try the new secondaries though, particularly some laser or plasma shotguns.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

So I'm level 34 now. is there anything fun to do besides farming bandit camps?

I really enjoyed the Toxic even and I was sad to see it end.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Fina posted:

One concern I have is if the new primary modifiers are straight upgrades or not. Do they do the same damage but as a different damage type, or do they do less damage but with DOT after hit?

I'm excited to try the new secondaries though, particularly some laser or plasma shotguns.

The numbers that they gave us are suspiciously similar to what we already get from prefixes
Take rapidfire, 5% extra dps(7.5% for the custom version)
compared to thermal, 5% chance of ignite(~7% for the blazing version)
If the ignite does(over time) the weapons single shot damage it'll be roughly on par with what you could already have... just risking overlap rather than burning through ammo.

I haven't used one yet, but they have plenty of room to work with and still avoid them being straight upgrades.

I most want to try a beam shotgun.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

So I'm level 34 now. is there anything fun to do besides farming bandit camps?

I really enjoyed the Toxic even and I was sad to see it end.

Field missions and the like on the eastern edge of DT until you get to 36 and can get full credit for any map mission in the zone easily enough. The delirium core missions are fantastic for the amount of effort:reward ratio. Be warned: You'll have to race lots of pubbies for your rewards.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Fina posted:

Good to hear they're giving AoE and poison classification to the bio rifle. I love the leafblower, but the dragonfly's primary fire was just so boring and ineffective. The healing buff doesn't hurt either.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

So one thing jumped out at me in the patch notes:

"The Firewhips in Kanaloa's Lair will now explode when in close proximity to a player, leaving a pool of lava that deals damage and saps energy."

That raid just shot into difficult territory. Was bad enough when players killed the goddamn bugs near team-mates... now they just go kamikaze on your rear end? Awesome.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

DarkDobe posted:

So one thing jumped out at me in the patch notes:

"The Firewhips in Kanaloa's Lair will now explode when in close proximity to a player, leaving a pool of lava that deals damage and saps energy."

That raid just shot into difficult territory. Was bad enough when players killed the goddamn bugs near team-mates... now they just go kamikaze on your rear end? Awesome.

Meh, they don't bother me that much. With afterburner\inferno dash and energy consumables, they were more an annoyance than anything.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Loot changes for kana\bc are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Most interesting is that there is now Melded Chitin fragments and Melded Muscle tissue. Along with Melded Blood Samples, these refine into the various secondary crafting materials, along with some dark crystite if you have enough. Melded Chitin -> Chitin fibers, Blood Sample -> Carbon Powder, and Melded Muscle tissue -> Biopolymer thread. Seems they finally realized that having no secondary crafting materials drop off one of the most common enemy types in the game is rather stupid and diversified it a bit.

• Locked thread