Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's Compile Heart? I thought it was NIS.

okay never mind impatom, it's bad, you don't need to tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

oh that's tomorrow?

ImpAtom is it any good? i assume you know.

It is a Compile Heart game. I mean that's about what you can say about it. It's not unplayable terrible like the original Neptunia or anything but it's strictly C-grade JRPG at its best.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

IIRC you can also hold the attack button to do a goofy 'poke' attack which in a bunch of cases is actually a lot easier to get hits in with without taking damage yourself.

Edit: I'm wrong, you actually hold L or R to do it apparently.

BloodWulfe posted:

The hero's poke attack has a fixed damage rate. I never found it to be very useful, especially later on when health bars explode in size, but you can take advantage of it by walking backwards while enemies (slowly) impale themselves on your sword. You can use it to quickly strafe too.

Mostly you'll want to use White Dragon's advice and smack enemies diagonally from or next to you with your sword arc. You'll always have access to free healing herbs (one at a time max though) so don't worry about gobbling them up, and warp checkpoints are placed pretty reasonably.

Also the first dungeon has an incredibly catchy tune.

Okay this has helped alot, thanks for the advice. I still think it's some pretty anachronistic game design but it's work-aroundable and the rest of the game is pretty charming, and it doesn't look half bad for a 1992 game either.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Xenoblade is still pretty cool. I'm sneaking into Colony 6 now to go beat up some Cockney douchebag.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Tears to Tiara 2 and new Ar Tonelico games are also coming this month. The latter by all reports is going to be more like the 2nd game of the series vs the 3rd so might be worth checking out.

I know nothing about Tears to Tiara though.

Myself I started Radiata Stories. Got that a long time ago and never played. Any tips are welcome.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Xenoblade is still pretty cool. I'm sneaking into Colony 6 now to go beat up some Cockney douchebag.

Gonna start playing NG+ on Xenoblade pretty soon because the more people post about it the more I miss it.

Looking forward to maining Swim Trunks Shulk in Smash.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

oblomov posted:

Tears to Tiara 2 and new Ar Tonelico games are also coming this month. The latter by all reports is going to be more like the 2nd game of the series vs the 3rd so might be worth checking out.

I've heard that Ar No Surge might be very prone to freezing/crashing, but that might be just one person's bad luck. Anyone know anything more about that?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

oblomov posted:

I know nothing about Tears to Tiara though.

Myself I started Radiata Stories. Got that a long time ago and never played. Any tips are welcome.

Be careful who you kick. Some people will destroy you.

Also, if you plan on doing both storylines there is a certain point where you want to make an extra save so you don't need to start all over.

There's also a "Strong from the Start" option at the end but it, obviously, starts you from the beginning.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

oblomov posted:

If you care about character recruitment, just use a spoiler-free guide. The game has some very esoteric recruitment options. The post-game can be very frustrating without the guild/clan leaders, which require all members of their respective guild/clan to join. Try to do all side-quests/jobs before triggering the next main plot point.

When Jack gets access to being a party leader and the formation/grouping commands become available, USE THEM. Jack can learn any skill in the game by linking with a person with that skill often enough. You can also switch skills during combat.

You can switch weapons in combat. When you get access to stuff other than the sword give 'em a try. Always switch to axes when doing "Volty Blasts".

The sewers seem confusing, but have an important accessory hidden in them, so take a look around. Likewise, there are areas that are not visited by the main plot, but have good things in them.

And kick everything (except the homeless guy). He will kick you rear end.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
When you create your attack combo, the way they chain together will have an impact on how fast it is. In general, you want your next attack to begin roughly where the preceding attack ended, like going Left Slash -> Right Slash. It seems really obvious and all, but some of the later attacks you learn have some funky animations, so you'll want to experiment (by kicking people in town :unsmigghh:). One-handed swords are great, two-handers are okay (axes suck balls), spears are dynamite.

The two best accessories are to be equipped together: one increases your movement speed, and the other one limits you to speed-walking. Mosey everywhere.

As for recruiting people, they aren't kidding when they say there's some really esoteric requirements. However, there's some tips that'll take the pressure off a bit:

• Everyone has a fixed schedule.
  • Generally, time/story only moves forward when you go back to your room and sleep. I recall that in a few places something else triggers the story moving on, but I also recall the game being suitably obvious about it.
  • If you miss someone, you can wait around and catch them on the following day. Don't sleep, just wait.
  • There's only one character you actually need to kick three times and beat to recruit. Everyone else just gets suitably annoyed by you kicking and fighting them, and won't join your party just based on your incredibly immature show of power.
  • Struggle I is the best battle theme of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiA9FeIACRA

Radiata Stories felt like it came from the PS1 era of Square taking a bunch of risks on a ton of new IPs.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 16, 2014

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Radiata Stories was a serious mixed bag for me.

At the major path split, one path is more heavy on the story but the selection of good party members is extremely limited. The other path gives you all the god characters, but requires you to recruit almost every single character. Also Jack becomes a tool.

I spent days in the final dungeon. I played the game with no internet or strategy guide and I'm bad at repetitive looking mazes. gently caress that place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I was enjoying Tales of Vesperia, but my opinion of it has just taken a nosedive. The game wont let me pick Repede as the (visible) party leader :argh:.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Aha, great info everyone. Just started last night and so far so good. I am using a FAQ since I am wary of missing on recruitment per tips above.

The game is quite different and it's too bad that RPG variety has gone down since the days of PSX and PS2.

That's OK though as I got a stack of various PS2 RPGs I picked up over the years and never played. Rogue Galaxy will be next (btwn SAO, BG2 and Phantasy Start IV bouts).

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

oblomov posted:

Aha, great info everyone. Just started last night and so far so good. I am using a FAQ since I am wary of missing on recruitment per tips above.

The game is quite different and it's too bad that RPG variety has gone down since the days of PSX and PS2.

That's OK though as I got a stack of various PS2 RPGs I picked up over the years and never played. Rogue Galaxy will be next (btwn SAO, BG2 and Phantasy Start IV bouts).

No. Don't play Rogue Galaxy. Can I recommend the Suikoden series instead? Please?

Even .hack would be better than Rogue Galaxy.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I really wanted to like Rogue Galaxy, but it's just not a great game. I can elaborate more if you'd like, but either way I'd recommend skipping it and picking up a different PS2 JRPG (assuming that's what you're in the mood for here).

Honestly the most fun I had with the game was the deviantART bad fan art cover and Steve Blum as space Xiahou Dun.

e: cover art with space xiahou dun for reference

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 16, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Huh, thought Rogue Galaxy wasn't bad. Oh well, I will go for Suikoden III then (or is 5 better) after Radiata. I literally have a stack of 20 or so PS2 JRPGs that I never played, not including Shin Megami Tensei series (have those as well).

How was .hack series? Just checked prices on eBay and man, the print runs must have been tiny.

Edit: Separately, I couldn't get into Xenoblade Chronicles. I tried three separate times after I picked up a copy from the GameStop reprint and it doesn't click. I find it tremendously boring for some reason. This is playing through Dolphin with high-res textures.

Heck, I am having more fun with Radiata Stories on PS2 hooked up to new LED panel which is probably butchering the image.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 16, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

oblomov posted:

Huh, thought Rogue Galaxy wasn't bad. Oh well, I will go for Suikoden III then (or is 5 better) after Radiata. I literally have a stack of 20 or so PS2 JRPGs that I never played, not including Shin Megami Tensei series (have those as well).

How was .hack series? I am enjoying SAO vita game quite a bit, at least for combat/exploration. Also just checked prices on eBay and man, the print runs must have been tiny.

Rogue Galaxy is not bad. It's super good looking for the era and has a lot of charm. Where it stumbles is it tends to be overlong and SUPER grindy if you want to delve into the crafting system. I rather liked it personally, but it's not for everyone.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Levantine posted:

Rogue Galaxy is not bad. It's super good looking for the era and has a lot of charm. Where it stumbles is it tends to be overlong and SUPER grindy if you want to delve into the crafting system. I rather liked it personally, but it's not for everyone.
This cannot be overstated. Rogue Galaxy is MMO levels of grind, and the combat is alright but not enough to make up for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seriously though, Space Xiahou Dun is awesome.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oblomov posted:

How was .hack series? Just checked prices on eBay and man, the print runs must have been tiny.

They're interesting games but wear thin very quickly, especially since the games are just episodic in the same way something like The Walking Dead is (the first four games could have just been one game, and same with the three G.U. games)

I also liked the story but I also was crazy back when these things came out and bought all the associated anime and manga. It's super fractured and you're likely not going to get at the whole of it without dumping a lot of money on it these days (and it's not so great that you should), and just looking at part of it will make it seem confusing and dumb.

Maybe because it is? I dunno, I still like 'em.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BloodWulfe posted:

I really wanted to like Rogue Galaxy, but it's just not a great game. I can elaborate more if you'd like,

Please do! :allears:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Skip the initial .hack quadrilogy, and go straight for G.U., because those are actually fun to play.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Coughing Hobo posted:

Skip the initial .hack quadrilogy, and go straight for G.U., because those are actually fun to play.

The original quadrilogy has a much more enjoyable story, though. And for some reason the G.U. one introduces a lot of cool new characters and classes but you never get to get any of them in your party, and instead you just have the Worst People as your party members (and Piros the 3rd of course.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The original quadrilogy has a much more enjoyable story, though. And for some reason the G.U. one introduces a lot of cool new characters and classes but you never get to get any of them in your party, and instead you just have the Worst People as your party members (and Piros the 3rd of course.)
It's, from what I remember, one short/medium length RPG story stretched out over four games, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

It's, from what I remember, one short/medium length RPG story stretched out over four games, though.

Are there any multi-part games where this doesn't really end up being the case?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I want to say Digital Devil Saga, but in that case it's really front-loaded--in fact, the second game is basically the last third of any other JRPG--nothing but answers to huge plot questions, and each boss fight and dungeon is a huge step up in difficulty, complete with a handful of brutal optional boss fights.

Game owned. The battle against the Archangels ranks up there as one of the most challenging but fun boss battles in gaming for me. The later optional bosses are...less fun.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think I have really low standards because I enjoyed all .hack games (though I played the original quadrilogy years ago when I still didn't have much to compare it to...) AND Rogue Galaxy. Though I think what I actually liked about Rogue Galaxy was the minigames (gently caress yes Insectron).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Ones where they're mostly self-contained complete deals, mainly. I can't think of any RPGs that fit the bill offhand but the Telltale Sam and Max games do.

They also don't have a lot of padding, while .hack is FULL of it. I should figure out where my copies are (I was an idiot and got all four despite never finishing 2) and see about selling them on ebay or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want to say Digital Devil Saga, but in that case it's really front-loaded--in fact, the second game is basically the last third of any other JRPG--nothing but answers to huge plot questions, and each boss fight and dungeon is a huge step up in difficulty, complete with a handful of brutal optional boss fights.

Game owned. The battle against the Archangels ranks up there as one of the most challenging but fun boss battles in gaming for me. The later optional bosses are...less fun.

Yeah, i like DDS a lot but I can't really argue that DDS2 really needed to be its own game. It feels good for the most part but it basically could have been part of the main game and cut some of the padding and grinding out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Play Rogue Galaxy and enjoy soloing a boss as a dogman, and fighting one of the most obnoxious final bosses I've ever seen.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, i like DDS a lot but I can't really argue that DDS2 really needed to be its own game. It feels good for the most part but it basically could have been part of the main game and cut some of the padding and grinding out.

I get why they did it, it sort of works on a narrative level, but it's also really weird that you have one rather complete game that just lacks any semblance of closure, and another game that feels incomplete, but is chock full of closure. I assume that it would have cost too much to make one big game, maybe, or perhaps they really thought they had a cool enough concept with the "two worlds, two games" sort of approach, although functionally this does very little except to provide them enough time to improve the Mantra system between games, which only makes it all the more of a pain to replay DDS1 with its vastly inferior system.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The best example I can think of for a multipart game that's not just one game stretched too long is Persona 2. Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are technically both Persona 2 but in reality they're two separate 40 to 60 hour games that feature the same characters, themes and plot points.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think the multipart SRW games do a decent job at this.

Of course, they're stretching multiple anime plots out over multiple games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

The best example I can think of for a multipart game that's not just one game stretched too long is Persona 2. Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are technically both Persona 2 but in reality they're two separate 40 to 60 hour games that feature the same characters, themes and plot points.

Hmm, that's true, although I may be a bit biased because i was one of many who played P2 EP first.

Endorph posted:

I think the multipart SRW games do a decent job at this.

Of course, they're stretching multiple anime plots out over multiple games.

I'm kinda torn really. Z2 kinda felt a bit thing but Z3 really did feel nice and complete. We'll see how Z3.2 feels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I... I like Rogue Galaxy :negative:.

The story hits every cliche it can head-on (though I thought the Vedan arc was legitimately pretty good), but the combat's fun (I liked that AI party members poll you with a quick two-button command list that can be a mix of heal items/spells or buff skills and wish more games had this) and there's a few enjoyable characters in the party. There's also a shitload of side content to bury yourself in.

Levantine posted:

Do you mean the Factory minigame? I loved that stupid thing :allears:.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I... I like Rogue Galaxy :negative:.

The story hits every cliche it can head-on (though I thought the Vedan arc was legitimately pretty good), but the combat's fun (I liked that AI party members poll you with a quick two-button command list that can be a mix of heal items/spells or buff skills and wish more games had this) and there's a few enjoyable characters in the party. There's also a shitload of side content to bury yourself in.

Do you mean the Factory minigame? I loved that stupid thing :allears:.

No, I was referring to the "items have to be leveled up before they can be fused" system. I think you spend more time getting your weapons exp than your characters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Levantine posted:

No, I was referring to the "items have to be leveled up before they can be fused" system. I think you spend more time getting your weapons exp than your characters.

Oh, that. I'd forgotten about that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(I liked that AI party members poll you with a quick two-button command list that can be a mix of heal items/spells or buff skills and wish more games had this)

JASTER :byodood:
JASTER :byodame:

I love that the spaceships are just loving ships in space. That poo poo rules.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I am the person with the worst taste, as I actually nearly 100%'d Rogue Galaxy, now that I think about it. Pretty much the only thing I didn't do was fill up the Frog Log because holy poo poo gently caress that. I did however do the postgame dungeon (multiple times!) and did all of MIO's request dealies. I think I just have a weakness for really in-depth minigames because I remember also spending hours doing the ones in Dark Cloud 2. Spheda, man...

My biggest disappointment with Rogue Galaxy is that only Jaster gets cool unique weapons (and he gets loving eight of them, that's just unfair), and that so many of the ultimate weapons for the other characters look like loving poo poo (Zevran's best weapon is one of those really lame looking swords with a face on them, in a really gaudy color scheme too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know what game franchise I wish hadn't died. Dark Cloud. There, I said it. :colbert: