Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the real issue with GameStop is their other lovely business practices like opening up games, handling the discs (potentially lending them out to employees in the process)

There's nothing "potentially" about this :v: Gamestop employees can and do "check out" new games. I was a seasonal there for a while (and by seasonal, I was just on the payroll to fill out their forced seasonal hires list amongst their other friends. I didn't actually work a day there. They wanted the regular employees to have the hours) and did this with quite a few games. I Basically got to rent these new games without spending any money, and if they were a DS game you had to make sure you deleted the file before bringing it back. Then they re-shrinkwrapped. So yeah they totally do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the real issue with GameStop is their other lovely business practices like opening up games, handling the discs (potentially lending them out to employees in the process) and still selling the game as "New" because it wasn't a trade-in.

Oh yeah, that happened with that "New" Etrian Odyssey IV copy I bought at a Chicago location.
No shrinkwrap, awful sticker on the box, even had a save file on it.

I've never had that happen at the Gamestop in my area though, they seem alright even if they have some sort of nasty tendency to make their Nintendo stuff so out of sight and shoved into a corner.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Oh yeah, that happened with that "New" Etrian Odyssey IV copy I bought at a Chicago location.
No shrinkwrap, awful sticker on the box, even had a save file on it.

I've never had that happen at the Gamestop in my area though, they seem alright even if they have some sort of nasty tendency to make their Nintendo stuff so out of sight and shoved into a corner.

Yeah, I've got nothing against a pre-owned game, and I'll often get something used just to save a couple dollars (especially if they'll let me inspect the disc first, just to make sure the previous owner didn't abuse it too badly), but the event that made me swear off GameStop all together was trying to buy a new copy of Super Mario Galaxy, which was the only one in the store, and having the clerk pull out a disk from a paper sleeve and start to put it in the display box.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

jivjov posted:

but the event that made me swear off GameStop all together was trying to buy a new copy of Super Mario Galaxy, which was the only one in the store, and having the clerk pull out a disk from a paper sleeve and start to put it in the display box.

To be totally fair, that's the absolute last resort when you buy a new game from them. One of the boxes has to be out on the shelves for display, but you can't have the game in there or else it'll get stolen. So one copy of the new game is in a sleeve while it's box is on display and unfortunately if you get the last one you get the sleeved copy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

To be totally fair, that's the absolute last resort when you buy a new game from them. One of the boxes has to be out on the shelves for display, but you can't have the game in there or else it'll get stolen. So one copy of the new game is in a sleeve while it's box is on display and unfortunately if you get the last one you get the sleeved copy.

Well still, if its been removed and handled at the store level, that doesn't really fit my definition of New. I still would have taken it if I would have gotten the Used price on it, but the clerk was having none of it, refused to let me speak to a manager (later found it its because this clerk was the only employee in the store, the manager was out at lunch or somesuch), and wouldn't give me a corporate contact number.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

jivjov posted:

Well still, if its been removed and handled at the store level, that doesn't really fit my definition of New. I still would have taken it if I would have gotten the Used price on it, but the clerk was having none of it, refused to let me speak to a manager (later found it its because this clerk was the only employee in the store, the manager was out at lunch or somesuch), and wouldn't give me a corporate contact number.

I mean, I understand why you wouldn't have wanted to buy it and that's fair. But I doubt even with talking with the manager you would've been allowed to buy a new game at a used price, even if it had been taken out of the box.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

I mean, I understand why you wouldn't have wanted to buy it and that's fair. But I doubt even with talking with the manager you would've been allowed to buy a new game at a used price, even if it had been taken out of the box.

Well, the business practice of selling opened and handled goods as New, compounded with that particular clerk, means I just don't give any of my dollars to GameStop anymore. Plus I've been buying more and more digital games these days. But if there's something physical I want, I'll go through Wal-mart, Amazon, or (in the event of GameStop 'exclusives' like Xenoblade and the like) secondary markets like Ebay.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
My question is why they can still do this. They used to have a policy where of you bought a game, didn't like it, and brought it back in a short time frame, they would refund it. They then turned around and sold it as new, but a class action lawsuit was filed and they stopped allowing that. This sounds like the exact same thing only employees instead of consumers being the people taking them home first.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

jivjov posted:

Well, the business practice of selling opened and handled goods as New, compounded with that particular clerk, means I just don't give any of my dollars to GameStop anymore. Plus I've been buying more and more digital games these days. But if there's something physical I want, I'll go through Wal-mart, Amazon, or (in the event of GameStop 'exclusives' like Xenoblade and the like) secondary markets like Ebay.

The last few times I've ordered stuff through gamestop I've resorted to just using their website, I get charged for shipping, but I don't have to go into the store and get barraged by them asking if I want to pre-order games I have no interest in.

Of course if I buy stuff like Tales, Persona or One Piece I get none of that.

Thankfully I almost never need to use Gamestop for anything because I tend to either get stuff cheaper through work or Amazon saves me more money.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 17, 2014

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Macaluso posted:

There's nothing "potentially" about this :v: Gamestop employees can and do "check out" new games. I was a seasonal there for a while (and by seasonal, I was just on the payroll to fill out their forced seasonal hires list amongst their other friends. I didn't actually work a day there. They wanted the regular employees to have the hours) and did this with quite a few games. I Basically got to rent these new games without spending any money, and if they were a DS game you had to make sure you deleted the file before bringing it back. Then they re-shrinkwrapped. So yeah they totally do this.

I always hear about things like this but my brother who has worked there for over a year always brushes it off as "internet bullshit", assuming that because his store is tight-knit that no other stores in the country could possibly be sneakily doing this and getting away with it. It really wouldn't surprise me if it happened though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Macaluso posted:

Well that is a bullshit excuse. You put the game in a plastic case like Best Buy, in a glass case like Target, or a cardboard copy of the cover on the shelf.
You cannot trust those games to have valid codes in the case for Club Nintendo or anything like that. A knew somebody that took cell phone pictures of all the Rock Band export codes, and pretty much downloaded all of the games for free. That shouldn't be possible. Why not just leave the eShop gift cards activated and on the shelf in a corner too? They don't care because once they get the paid it's not their problem anymore.

Wish new games came with seals on the spine to tell you if try have been opened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Well that is a bullshit excuse. You put the game in a plastic case like Best Buy, in a glass case like Target, or a cardboard copy of the cover on the shelf.
You cannot trust those games to have valid codes in the case for Club Nintendo or anything like that. A knew somebody that took cell phone pictures of all the Rock Band export codes, and pretty much downloaded all of the games for free. That shouldn't be possible. Why not just leave the eShop gift cards activated and on the shelf in a corner too? They don't care because once they get the paid it's not their problem anymore.

Wish new games came with seals on the spine to tell you if try have been opened.

As far as I know it is Gamestop policy to remove all content from inside the cases. They stick the codes and books in addition to the disc in a plastic bag. It's a bad policy but that isn't a thing that happens unless the people at the store are not actually doing their jobs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, the real issue with GameStop is their other lovely business practices like opening up games, handling the discs (potentially lending them out to employees in the process) and still selling the game as "New" because it wasn't a trade-in.

Don't forget with Xenoblade, opening up actually-new games to then explicitly sell as "used" for a markup instead of for the original price since they had an exclusive deal with Nintendo for distribution.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

CarpetCrawler posted:

I always hear about things like this but my brother who has worked there for over a year always brushes it off as "internet bullshit", assuming that because his store is tight-knit that no other stores in the country could possibly be sneakily doing this and getting away with it. It really wouldn't surprise me if it happened though.

I worked for both Babbages and GameStop (in entirely different states) and I can confirm that checking out games is an officially sanctioned thing... it may even be addressed in the training manual, but it's been over a decade since I worked there so I can't rightly remember.

Do not buy from GameStop, they are garbage.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The main reason I dont like Gamestop is they often charge extra on 3DS games. 40 bucks for Tomodachi life? gently caress you gamestop, I'm going to TRU.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Chronojam posted:

Don't forget with Xenoblade, opening up actually-new games to then explicitly sell as "used" for a markup instead of for the original price since they had an exclusive deal with Nintendo for distribution.

Wasn't that a reprint? The cases on the "used" ones lacked a Nintendo imprint on the inside, unlike the original new ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cloks posted:

Wasn't that a reprint? The cases on the "used" ones lacked a Nintendo imprint on the inside, unlike the original new ones.

There were some reprints but others were also opened to make them sell for more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CarpetCrawler posted:

Technically you're supposed to only check out used games but I didn't give a gently caress and let my people check out whatever because we'd always have a billion sealed copies of any game worth playing anyway.

Chronojam posted:

This was awesome though because it made the price plummet on the game in general by definition because every GameStop got a bunch of used copies of the game in. A week after they came out they went from $90 to $80, then $70, and were on sale for like $30 for a while, now it's normalized at $50. I will never understand why people were mad about this or any other reprint GameStop bought a ton of as all they do is make it so more people can buy the game. Like there is so much poo poo GameStop does in general that is legit awful.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I stopped buying from brick and motor stores because I discovered I really, really didn't give a crap if I got to play a game the day it was released so I just order it online with free shipping and get a fresh copy in the mail a couple weeks later.

Last time I went to EB Games (Canada doesn't have Gamestop, so far as I know), I just ended up browsing the shelves, looking at all the games I had no desire to play, while the one game I actually went in to buy (Virtue's Last Reward) wasn't in stock and wasn't on order, so they had no copies and weren't going to get new copies, and I'm not talking like super recently this was only a couple months after it was released, too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I stopped buying from brick and motor stores because I discovered I really, really didn't give a crap if I got to play a game the day it was released so I just order it online with free shipping and get a fresh copy in the mail a couple weeks later.

Last time I went to EB Games (Canada doesn't have Gamestop, so far as I know), I just ended up browsing the shelves, looking at all the games I had no desire to play, while the one game I actually went in to buy (Virtue's Last Reward) wasn't in stock and wasn't on order, so they had no copies and weren't going to get new copies, and I'm not talking like super recently this was only a couple months after it was released, too.

Canada has Gamestop, EB is owned by them.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I buy probably 90% of my games from Amazon, tend to get them pretty cheap as well as in good condition.

Speaking of, kinda debating whether I wanna get Donkey Kong Mario 3D World next for my Wii U. Missed out on the Mario Kart 8 sale, and I'm comfortable waiting a bit later on that one anyways. Hoping there will be a holiday deal for the game + DLC.

I love both series (favorite entries are Galaxy 1 and DKC2), so I'm equally torn between them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the best game on the WiiU. Hell, it's the best game of all time.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

It's a great game I just can't get past this ducking fish goddammit.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

HMS Beagle posted:

The puffer fish boss?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

HMS Beagle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9DrBYPJPr4

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I quietly put Tropical Freeze away once I got to the super chocolate bonus world because

because god drat it I can only take so much pain

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I quietly put Tropical Freeze away once I got to the super chocolate bonus world because

because god drat it I can only take so much pain

Casual

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kly posted:

Spelunky on PC was the very first time he played a video game he was about 3 and he just ran back and forth jumping around in the starting area, he had so much fun doing that i busted out the old wii with homebrew channel and put on mario all stars for him. He played Mario 1 and 3 mostly, took him a while to master that first goomba and after that learning to run and jump at the same time but once he got that down he did great. I gave him my old NES themed GBA from when i was a kid with the rereleased mario games then later my old DS for NSMB then we eventually got him a 2DS.

He's 4 now and mostly plays mario games, he played GTA4 for a bit and absolutely loved it, just walking around the city and obeying traffic lights when he would drive but theres a lot of cursing and unavoidable violence in it, we got a WiiU partially for Lego City so he could play a more kid friendly GTA. We got him NSMB2 a few days ago and he was able to beat all the main worlds himself the same day we got it.

Interesting. Did he just watch you play first or did you put him behind a computer to show him something new?
Mine's still too young to play (IMO), but I really don't know when/how I want to introduce him to games so I find how other people have done it very interesting. Thank you.

Also, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I can't believe you put a kid of that age behind GTA. While my kid (and considering you're not correcting me I assume you also have a boy) is crazy for cars/truck and I can see the allure of having him drive through a city, but the game just isn't very kid friendly. (Though it was probably very refreshing seeing someone slowly drive around trying to obey traffic laws. :) )
I figure that when I start maybe I'll just boot up Wii sports and have him swing around. :)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dear Nintendo,

Allowing me to use the gamepad as a screen for original Wii games is goddamn brilliant. It sounds pointless, but man - I'm really getting into New Super Mario Wii.

The DS edition was still a decent mario game, but the levels lacked spark and originality. Meanwhile, World 2 in Mario Wii is taking my lunch money with a particularly cruel level or two along the way. Digging the new power-ups, digging the the difficulty (I Swam through an entire school of cheep cheeps! In World 1!), digging the structural changes (Star coins buy videos that show off Nintendo skills and gently hint at new areas!) - I can't believe I've owned a Wii this whole time and never tried NSMBWii until this week.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Mario Kart 8's two player splitscreen... why is it split horizontally? I can't see around any corners! Did nobody playtest this? I keep flying off the course during long turns because you can't see the end until it's too late.

edit: Hyrule Warriors reviews are coming out. Looks to be exactly what you'd expect. Brainless combat and enemies but surprisingly good use of the Zelda license.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 17, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Polo-Rican posted:

Mario Kart 8's two player splitscreen... why is it split horizontally? I can't see around any corners! Did nobody playtest this? I keep flying off the course during long turns because you can't see the end until it's too late.

edit: Hyrule Warriors reviews are coming out. Looks to be exactly what you'd expect. Brainless combat and enemies but surprisingly good use of the Zelda license.

If they split it vertically, the view would be way too narrow on a 16:9 aspect ratio. Also I used vertically to contrast with your post, but I'm pretty sure both of these posts have horizontal and vertically used incorrectly.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Yeh it is vertical, and I mean... once you know the course somewhat I think it's better to be able to use your weapons more effectively?

That said, I had no issues.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I love that HDTV has made left/right splitting the norm instead of top/bottom. Or, worst case scenario, what RE5 did.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I buy Eshop cards from my locally-owned and operated game chain (Oogie Games) so I can both give them money and buy everything digitally to get deluxe points. Best of both worlds, I guess.

I also buy controllers/used games from them

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

Interesting. Did he just watch you play first or did you put him behind a computer to show him something new?

He saw me playing and asked if he could play.

As for gta he only played while we watched and we kept the sound down. It started with Burnout Paradise but the traffic lights dont actually change color in that so hed get to an intersection, stop and wait for the light to change but it never did. So i popped in gta, put him into a car and let him go nuts, just driving carefully through the city waiting in traffic and parking his car. But your right its not for kids and we couldnt just leave him alone to play it so i asked in this thread about kid friendly GTA-like games and was told about Lego City which is perfect.

My kid has some trouble with the motion controls on wii and just cant seem to wrap his head around the wiimote+nunchuck combo at all. Its a bit of a trial every time he switches the wiiu into wii mode to play NSMBwii.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Has he tried Super Mario World? That was my first game ever and I stand by it.

Also I wonder if it was me who recommended Lego City to you. I love that game and I talk about how good it as at the least opportunity. In any case, I'm really glad it worked out well.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I spent the summer teaching elementary school kids and some of the best conversations I had with them were about video game controls.

A lot of them told me they prefer playing on tablets or iPhones - even if the game was originally on the console. One kid swore that he felt more at home playing GTA San Andreas on his tablet than on the 360.

Me? I hated motion controls when shoehorned in - Red Steel 1 and 2 drove me into fits of rage.

And I've posted before about ripping Skyward Sword out of my Wii and nearly chucking it like a frisbee after dying five straight times on the same enemy in the first dungeon.

The weird thing is that I played Nintendo Land and found those motion controls (including the Zelda riff) to be great - I think my original Wii sensor bar may have been more than a little wonky.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well skyward sword didn't use the sensor bar.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

greatn posted:

Well skyward sword didn't use the sensor bar.

It used it for the initial centering on the screen, but not movement of the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mr E posted:

It used it for the initial centering on the screen, but not movement of the sword.

Are you sure? I thought the game had you position the remote and you'd press down on the d-pad to center it, which at no point it needed the sensor bar to do anything.

• Locked thread