Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Can Microsoft please throw a poo poo ton of money at HBO and get us a good HBO Go app?

I doubt it considering the PS4 still doesn't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anonononomous posted:

Has anyone had hands on experience and want to tell me if I should get a One on an Icon? I'm on Verizon, so those are my options. So far as I can tell, the nice things about the One are the faster processor (how much of a difference does that make?), the slightly bigger battery, expandable memory and nifty stuff like the IR blaster, the dot cases and the metal finish. But the Icon has a way better camera, an apparently better screen, the better Nokia apps (?), and nifty wireless charging.

Also, does anyone know if Verizon has gotten better at pushing updates? My current phone is a Trophy that I got (I think) after 7.8 came out but I got it with 7.5 and it's never updated. I don't want to get stuck with 8 on an Icon if I go that way. Or is that an HTC issue and a reason to go with the Icon?

I have both in my family. The camera on the Icon is top notch, but the overall phone feel and build actually is better on the One. The biggest gripe about the One though is no camera button. Why when this requirement is removed, nobody thinks it is a good idea to keep one for feature sake is beyond me as it is a big complaint for users that had one, and now don't.

Outside of that the Nokia apps are neat, but some of the HTC ones like Blinkfeed and even the HTC TV remote app are pretty dang sweet. I never knew some of the shows we got on Dish till I loaded that thing up and it shows everything that's playing and how far through it is.

Also HTC may have a bad rap in the past, but I feel with a premium device like their ONE, that things shouldn't fall behind like they did with the 8X and almost all their other devices around that time. They have a great record with the One M7 and M8 so far with Android updates so, yea. Maybe they have learned a thing or two (unlike Samsung/LG).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anonononomous posted:

Has anyone had hands on experience and want to tell me if I should get a One on an Icon? I'm on Verizon, so those are my options. So far as I can tell, the nice things about the One are the faster processor (how much of a difference does that make?), the slightly bigger battery, expandable memory and nifty stuff like the IR blaster, the dot cases and the metal finish. But the Icon has a way better camera, an apparently better screen, the better Nokia apps (?), and nifty wireless charging.

Also, does anyone know if Verizon has gotten better at pushing updates? My current phone is a Trophy that I got (I think) after 7.8 came out but I got it with 7.5 and it's never updated. I don't want to get stuck with 8 on an Icon if I go that way. Or is that an HTC issue and a reason to go with the Icon?

Paul Thurott did a comparison in his M8 review:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/htc-one-m8-windows-review

He liked the Icon overall better due to the camera and Nokia/Microsoft specific apps, but the One does have some things going for it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I picked up an import white back for my 635 as I liked the color better, and apparently Microsoft won't sell the white back in the US as it's the "T-Mobile 635" color.

OVerall it feels more "grippy" and matte than the black on my AT&T 635. Not sure if that's normal, or I got a cheap chinese knock off or what. :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well, looks like 8.1 has finally arrived for my 620. Looking forward to getting it, and hope nothing breaks.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Wifi calling is an annoying and problematic piece of poo poo. How do I turn it off without turning off wifi all together?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

vigorous sodomy posted:

Wifi calling is an annoying and problematic piece of poo poo. How do I turn it off without turning off wifi all together?

My guess is check the settings section of the phone dial app.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Best thing about 8.1 so far is that they fixed the Danish keyboard. It had lost a lot of functionality in 8.0 compared to 7.5 but they finally restored it to full fidelity. Except that I'm missing a dedicated comma key. All the little things...

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Best thing about 8.1 so far is that they fixed the Danish keyboard. It had lost a lot of functionality in 8.0 compared to 7.5 but they finally restored it to full fidelity. Except that I'm missing a dedicated comma key. All the little things...

I missed the comma key as well, but it can be turned on in the keyboard settings. Other than that, I didn't notice any differences in the keyboard, care to elaborate?

edit: Whoa! I can use the abbreviations "ca" and "kl" without the dictionary insisting on upper case. This almost makes up for the broken music player.

NFX fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 13, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I had the weirdest thing happen earlier today. While I was out to a late lunch, I connected to the restaurant's free WiFi but couldn't pull up my bookmarks in Awful. So I disconnected from Wi-Fi to fall back on 3G/4G and I couldn't connect to *anything*. Tried multiple pages in IE, Awful, Facebook, my weather app...nothing. Any page I'd try to load would immediately kick back a DNS error. I tried doing a soft reset in the phone multiple times (holding the volume and lock buttons down) and cleared IE's browsing history with no change.

Finally I read somewhere to turn Airplane Mode On then Off, which fixed it. Then I had to uninstall and reinstall Awful. to get my bookmarks back. Really bizarre.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Forgive me for asking this question, but I figured it would be answered better here than in the Android thread. My SIL has a 925 with a cracked screen (still useable) and she is considering trying Android again after not having used it since gingerbread. If she stayed with windows phone she is tempted to just pick up a budget phone like Lumia 520/Blu Win Jr type stuff. She just wants small/light form factor and is tired of shattering higher end phones with her petite butter fingers. What she/I am wondering is what would be the equivalent on the Android side, and when I say equivalent I mean like $100 or less but still runs fully updated OS (kitkat), no major compromises, etc. I wanted to ask here because I'm not sure the other thread would know about the value WP has in the sub $100 segment. So far it looks like a Moto E maybe, or a used Moto G? (AT&T)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yep, those are pretty much the budget Android recommendations you'll get.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

Forgive me for asking this question, but I figured it would be answered better here than in the Android thread. My SIL has a 925 with a cracked screen (still useable) and she is considering trying Android again after not having used it since gingerbread. If she stayed with windows phone she is tempted to just pick up a budget phone like Lumia 520/Blu Win Jr type stuff. She just wants small/light form factor and is tired of shattering higher end phones with her petite butter fingers. What she/I am wondering is what would be the equivalent on the Android side, and when I say equivalent I mean like $100 or less but still runs fully updated OS (kitkat), no major compromises, etc. I wanted to ask here because I'm not sure the other thread would know about the value WP has in the sub $100 segment. So far it looks like a Moto E maybe, or a used Moto G? (AT&T)

Yep, those are really the only two you should consider. There is nothing in the $50-60 range like Lumia 520/521 go for these days. In general, a Moto G is considered worth the extra money compared to the E, but you have to go up to the Moto G LTE if you want an SD card. A Moto E only has 4GB internal storage, so big apps simply aren't feasible, though media can be stores on the SD card. Either one should give the best performance and chance of future updates you'll find in a budget Android. Good battery life, too. Also the Moto G just saw an updated model with a bigger display, so be sure to go for one of the earlier versions.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

(this is not intended to be an ad, let me know if if sounds like it and I'll remove)

I have an AT&T Cyan Nokia 920 I got from Gazelle's store on eBay for $77. It was listed as "fair" condition, but damnit after a lysol wipe cleaning, I'd argue it's mint. Looks new. I bought it and a black one and prefer the black, so I'm keeping that one.

I'll ship it to you for $70, all in, if you want. Otherwise I'll return it to them for a full refund. Just putting it out there as an option. I don't care either way just offering help for a goon.

I will say if you or anyone is looking for a budget Windows Phone, avoid the 520/521. They are dog slow. I got the 520 from Amazon, tossed it a drawer after one day and sold it a few weeks later. Molasses. A used 920 is so much more useful and comparably priced. No warranty, but it's practically disposable.

But to answer your question, agree with the above. An E or G is a solid bet if a platform switch is in the cards.

:911: only if you are in.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 14, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Yep, those are really the only two you should consider. There is nothing in the $50-60 range like Lumia 520/521 go for these days. In general, a Moto G is considered worth the extra money compared to the E, but you have to go up to the Moto G LTE if you want an SD card. A Moto E only has 4GB internal storage, so big apps simply aren't feasible, though media can be stores on the SD card. Either one should give the best performance and chance of future updates you'll find in a budget Android. Good battery life, too. Also the Moto G just saw an updated model with a bigger display, so be sure to go for one of the earlier versions.

If you want something cheap small that won't break best choice is probably either the g LTE or the e and grab a thin tpu case.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

OldPueblo posted:

She just wants small/light form factor and is tired of shattering higher end phones with her petite butter fingers.

hotsauce posted:

I will say if you or anyone is looking for a budget Windows Phone, avoid the 520/521. They are dog slow. I got the 520 from Amazon, tossed it a drawer after one day and sold it a few weeks later. Molasses. A used 920 is so much more useful and comparably priced. No warranty, but it's practically disposable.

Haha I don't think this is going to be a match. She probably had a 925 in the first place because the 920 is bulky heavy poo poo.

I was glancing at the old Xiaomi Mi2 phones to see if they'd dropped in price enough to fit this request, but jesus the phone is old and still $260 on ebay.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

OldPueblo posted:

Moto G all the way. Great screen and battery life, performance for a phone of its price is unmatched, you can get a great clip on cover for it, it's water proof and will get software updates pretty quickly. I replaced my HTC 8X with it after the battery developed a wasting disease and I love it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'll throw another vote in favor of the Moto G. I gifted it to my sister last may and made me wonder why I bought a galaxy s4 last year. There is no match in performance and battery life with the rest unless you pay 400-500$. Motorola really nailed it.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

For what it's worth I think she'll stick with windows phone, but I'm going to pick up a used Moto G for her to try out. I will post back with this scientific study in a few weeks.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Guillermus posted:

I'll throw another vote in favor of the Moto G. I gifted it to my sister last may and made me wonder why I bought a galaxy s4 last year. There is no match in performance and battery life with the rest unless you pay 400-500$. Motorola really nailed it.

Not to disagree but the Moto X was on sale direct from Motorola at $325 several times last year. I picked up a 32 gig Dev edition for $350 and have been very happy with everything except the battery life. Also apparently the new G doesn't have any cases yet but its tank and new case will probably be out in weeks.

I really hope they keep something at the old g/x/e size because it's perfect for me and I don't want a larger phone. Right now the only options for current one handed phones is the Sony z3 compact and the iPhone 6. Also looks like the galaxy alpha is Moto X 2013 sized.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Where is the awful app for windows phones?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

vigorous sodomy posted:

Have you searched "awful" In the store?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

vigorous sodomy posted:

If you are on 8.0, you can use 'Awful.' It's kinda abandoned, and some niggling little issues have developed in it due to changes to the forum itself, but it works well enough.

If you are on 8.1 you can use 'awful forum reader' which is much nicer.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
So, I'm coming to the end of a two-year contract on a Lumia 900 in November, and switching from AT&T is not an option. I have no idea what to do with myself. I briefly wanted a 1520, but realized that I still talk on the phone in public and vetoed that idea.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I can still use some beta testers for my music app. It's getting closer to a thing you can use without weeping! PM me your Microsoft account username (which is an email address) that you're signed in to your phone with.

Factor Mystic posted:

• You have "your own collection" of music files, and you're willing & able to upload some/all of them to Onedrive (also acceptable: your music library is already in Onedrive. If you're signed in to Windows 8 and keep your music files in the default library, this may already be the case)
  • You're running 8.1 (dev preview is fine, cyan not required, 8.1 Update 1 not required)
  • You have tolerance for limited features, limited support, and prefer to share your thoughts rather than just sit around silently disappointed (given that we're Windows Phone users.... everyone probably qualifies on this point).
  • You're interested in having access to your own giant music collection, but you bought an 8GB phone and there's not enough space.

I'm particularly interested if anyone has an HTC 8X, one of the new larger Nokia phones, or a low end 520/521.

I guess I should also add, that you're probably not going to have a good time if you have absolute zero track metadata, but that would be an interesting case to beta test too, so go for it if you want.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Tanith posted:

So, I'm coming to the end of a two-year contract on a Lumia 900 in November, and switching from AT&T is not an option. I have no idea what to do with myself. I briefly wanted a 1520, but realized that I still talk on the phone in public and vetoed that idea.

If you really meant 920, then yeah I'm with you. If you actually meant 900 then I'd pick up a used 920/925/1020 and at least make the jump to WP8.1. The HTC One M8 seems to me the best on the near horizon, though I'd prefer another Nokia.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

OldPueblo posted:

If you really meant 920, then yeah I'm with you. If you actually meant 900 then I'd pick up a used 920/925/1020 and at least make the jump to WP8.1. The HTC One M8 seems to me the best on the near horizon, though I'd prefer another Nokia.

No, I'm still using WP7 :shobon:

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Tanith posted:

Yeah, I would look into whether switching to ATT's Next plan and getting a phone off contract (925 or 1020 which can be had for around $300) wouldn't save you some money. All current non-1520s on Att are a little long in the tooth and not really worth being stuck in a 2 year contract for. The 830 should be coming out soon on ATT (soon as in the next few months). If you must remain on contract, that's probably the one I'd do.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Tanith posted:

Total no-brainer then, WP8.1 has lots of nice new things and you can get devices for pretty cheap new or used. That will give you a nice bump and hold you over till something amazing comes along. I'm seeing nice phones like the 925 for sale on craigslist for $150.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
If you don't want a 1520, I'd definitely go the buy something used route on AT&T. There's nothing else on AT&T right now that's even remotely worth another two-year contract.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

I can still use some beta testers for my music app. It's getting closer to a thing you can use without weeping! PM me your Microsoft account username (which is an email address) that you're signed in to your phone with.

I guess I should also add, that you're probably not going to have a good time if you have absolute zero track metadata, but that would be an interesting case to beta test too, so go for it if you want.

I can betatest it and, being a non-metadata user I can certainly make an effort and update some of my albums. I'll send my MS account username via pm.

Edit: What do you guys/ladies use nowadays to edit mp3 tags/metadata? I'm still stuck with winamp and only bothered to edit all the info of like 30% of my huge mp3 collection.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 17, 2014

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Guillermus posted:

I can betatest it and, being a non-metadata user I can certainly make an effort and update some of my albums. I'll send my MS account username via pm.

Edit: What do you guys/ladies use nowadays to edit mp3 tags/metadata? I'm still stuck with winamp and only bothered to edit all the info of like 30% of my huge mp3 collection.

mp3tag for lyfe

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That one is perfect for me, thank you! I'm editing shitloads of tags fast right now so I can move forward and stop being in 1999 :v:

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I'm having an issue since updating to 8.1 on my 920. I used to be able to connect to an Xfiniry hot spot to connect mt phone at work. On 8.0 I would be redirected to IE to login to my Xfinity account and then the internet would work.

Now, on 8.1 it says "attention required." I tap on it and it takes me to the connection info screen and only option is to tap Proxy.

I've tried long pressing and restarting the phone.

Anyone else get this?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
My wife is having a problem with her Nokia 920. After updating to 8.1, her camera stopped working. It tries loading the software and then fails. We've tried soft resetting, hard resetting. Nothing is working. Any of you heard about this and what to do?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I'm having an issue since updating to 8.1 on my 920. I used to be able to connect to an Xfiniry hot spot to connect mt phone at work. On 8.0 I would be redirected to IE to login to my Xfinity account and then the internet would work.

Now, on 8.1 it says "attention required." I tap on it and it takes me to the connection info screen and only option is to tap Proxy.

I've tried long pressing and restarting the phone.

Anyone else get this?

I'd say mess with your Wi-Fi sense setting? Is it set to automatically log you in to hotspots with fake info?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jesus III posted:

My wife is having a problem with her Nokia 920. After updating to 8.1, her camera stopped working. It tries loading the software and then fails. We've tried soft resetting, hard resetting. Nothing is working. Any of you heard about this and what to do?
The Nokia camera app is an actual app, so have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling it? Does the Microsoft camera app work (should just be called Camera)?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Guillermus posted:

That one is perfect for me, thank you! I'm editing shitloads of tags fast right now so I can move forward and stop being in 1999 :v:

I use MediaMonkey for a couple of the batch tagging functions that it has. I use Autotag From Filename to get the basic title, artist, and album tags from the file and folder name, then I use Autotag From Web so it can use that information to fill in the remaining tags and album art.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Tanith posted:

Buy a refurb lumia 920 on ebay for around $130-200 and avoid a lot of fees by being in contract with att or their next thing. Saves you a lot over two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Looks like I spoke too soon about Nokia service. Been a week since I filled out their warranty repair form -- no email confirmation, no return shipping label they promised, nothing.