Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

canoshiz posted:

ORD is a gigantic crowded mess but the Rick Bayless torta place was pretty good :)

Frontera is good, and the Bubbles wine bar is hysterical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Never noticed a "Bubbles" wine bar. What's so funny about it?

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
I had a terrible/ bizarre Uber experience last night going from LAX to the Westin Bonaventure. Each of these offenses could have warranted a one star rating. Have you guys experienced anything like this?

- The driver started the trip way before I got into the car. My total bill was around $100 - normally the ride only takes about $75
- Started blasting the radio without asking me if I was ok with that
- Texting while driving
- Stopped and yelled at a driver for taking too long to accelerate at a green light. The driver had his entire family (wife and kids) in the car with him.
- Asked me if you're supposed to have overdrive on or not (something you should google... Not ask your customer)
- Complained about the smell of his own car
- At the end of the trip he asked me for a 5 rating

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Complain to uber there's a good chance they'll refund part of your fare

edit: leave him a 1 star review too. gently caress that guy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It was probably a Lyft plant for the next round of the car service wars.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Uber or uberx? If that was black car it's definitely not acceptable. Uberx in LA has a pretty high standard compared to say Chicago where most of those things minus the fare starting early have happened to me.

Send uber the map of your route and ask them how he claims to pick you up where he did when you flew into whatever terminal.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Just googled Frontera for shits and giggles, and I found a post on flyertalk asking where the restaurant was. One of the responses was this:

quote:

The restaurant is AFTER security on Concourse B. It is near Gate B14 (IIRC), near the McDonalds and the Chili's.

If you are so inclined to try it, just purchase a refundable ticket, print a BP to get through security, eat, then refund your ticket on the way out.

Do people actually do this? :lol:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

canoshiz posted:

Just googled Frontera for shits and giggles, and I found a post on flyertalk asking where the restaurant was. One of the responses was this:

Do people actually do this? :lol:
You can get a gate pass with your ua club membership. Gawd I hope that n00b was shouted off the board for not pointing that out in that post. Friggin kettles.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
There have been a few stories about people buying refundable first class tickets to visit the lounge over and over. A guy who tried it with a Lufthansa ticket ended up getting fined 2,000 euros when they caught him.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Jesus. All the lounge food/drink I've had hasn't been THAT great.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

canoshiz posted:

Jesus. All the lounge food/drink I've had hasn't been THAT great.

The airport is kind of outside of town too. Maybe he lives close?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There was this Chinese dude who purchased a first class Cathay ticket. Every day he would change the flight. He lived in the lounge for over 6 months and was forced to fly back to Beijing on the very last day.

Think Cathay changed their policy afterwards.

The newspaper drew some numbers up and figured that the cost per square-foot was still much cheaper than rent

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Why would you voluntarily go to the airport to eat airport food when you are frequent flier?

Why why why.
It wouldn't even be worth it in gas and parking.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Speaking of Uber, I didn't realize you can set up Uber to send receipts straight to Concur. This looks handy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aristotle Animes posted:

Never noticed a "Bubbles" wine bar. What's so funny about it?

It's trying awfully hard for an airport bar and has a piano taking up 20% of its square footage.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

sink the biz posted:

I had a terrible/ bizarre Uber experience last night going from LAX to the Westin Bonaventure. Each of these offenses could have warranted a one star rating. Have you guys experienced anything like this?

- The driver started the trip way before I got into the car. My total bill was around $100 - normally the ride only takes about $75
- Started blasting the radio without asking me if I was ok with that
- Texting while driving
- Stopped and yelled at a driver for taking too long to accelerate at a green light. The driver had his entire family (wife and kids) in the car with him.
- Asked me if you're supposed to have overdrive on or not (something you should google... Not ask your customer)
- Complained about the smell of his own car
- At the end of the trip he asked me for a 5 rating

Are you sure you weren't on Candid Camera or something? :stare:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Uncle Jam posted:

Why would you voluntarily go to the airport to eat airport food when you are frequent flier?

Why why why.
It wouldn't even be worth it in gas and parking.

after a while, its all you know maaaan!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

The only good part about ORD is that Chicago's Best Hotdog place.

Oddly enough, I feel the same way. I don't really hate ORD because I never go through there except for international vacations, so a hotdog in the tunnel just reminds me of good times.
But then again, I have never been there in the winter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ORD sucks in the summer, too.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Look, I don't have much love for ORD, but come on, at least it has dinosaurs and fighter planes to look at.

What do LGA,JFK and EWR have? Nothing. Except a giant pile of suck they all share.

ORD is downright wonderful compared to CDG, which is some sort of Kafka-eqsque Panopticon hell-mouth. And Heathrow is probably directly responsible for a number of suicides.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 17, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ORD sucks in the summer, too.

Ask me about business travel/frequent travel: ORD sucks in the summer, too

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I loike IAH.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I have 5.5 hours in DET on Friday. Never had enough time to poke around there before. Anything to see?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tai-Pan posted:

I have 5.5 hours in DET on Friday. Never had enough time to poke around there before. Anything to see?

DET doesn't have scheduled service by airlines. Do you mean DTW?

You could ride the moving sidewalk in the trippy Northern Lights tunnel between A and B/C, maybe. And try to find all the doggy bathrooms. Other than that there isn't a whole lot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's a not horrible Japanese restaurant called Sora.

You could also ride the train in terminal A back and forth.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just never forget that Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern timezone.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 18, 2014

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Just never forget that Detroit is in the Eastern timezone.

Holy poo poo this announcement. :unsmigghh:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair, Rick Bayless is pretty awesome.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

NeuralSpark posted:

Holy poo poo this announcement. :unsmigghh:

You get to hear it twice as much if you understand one of the other languages they broadcast it in too! :smith:

If you want local fare try the coney island in the airport, unless you end up with issues with greasy foods and flying.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Thoguh posted:

You could ride the moving sidewalk in the trippy Northern Lights tunnel between A and B/C, maybe. And try to find all the doggy bathrooms. Other than that there isn't a whole lot.

Yes, sorry into DTW.
Was hopping to get a ride out of DET, sadly I will not get to bum a ride on someones plane, it seems.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Thoguh posted:

Just never forget that Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern timezone.

I go through DTW quite often and get the pleasure of hearing this all the freaking time. I was in the North terminal once for my Global Entry interview and I don't remember hearing that announcement once while I was there. Is it only played in the McNamara?

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Thoguh posted:

Also the water fountain thing in the center of A concourse. I'll also second Sora as being not too bad for a Japanese restaurant located in an airport.

Or you could leave the secured area, catch a taxi, and check out one of the nearby titty bars if that's your thing :pervert: :sonia:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dirk Diggler posted:

I go through DTW quite often and get the pleasure of hearing this all the freaking time. I was in the North terminal once for my Global Entry interview and I don't remember hearing that announcement once while I was there. Is it only played in the McNamara?

I think only McNamara, since they have the long haul flights.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Probably only tangentially related to many of us, but SAP just bought Concur

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2014/09/18/sap-buys-concur-technologies-for-8-3-billion/

I wonder of they're going to do anything interesting with Tripit now, too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

taco show posted:

Probably only tangentially related to many of us, but SAP just bought Concur

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/dealbook/2014/09/18/sap-buys-concur-technologies-for-8-3-billion/

I wonder of they're going to do anything interesting with Tripit now, too.

I'd figured out how to put in the right filters to get the flights and hotels I want. I hope this doesn't screw that up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone ever gotten compensation for an emergency landing?

When I got mine in MIA it was 5k miles and free cancellation / original routing credit for my next trip which I was going to miss because of the delay due to the emergency.

Buddy today got 1 free round trip and a sub from jersey mikes for having to take a ride down the slides after they lost an engine at takeoff and the cabin filled with smoke. I told him that compensation seems fair (not to mention at least you're ok etc) and he seemed to think I was crazy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Anyone ever gotten compensation for an emergency landing?

When I got mine in MIA it was 5k miles and free cancellation / original routing credit for my next trip which I was going to miss because of the delay due to the emergency.

Buddy today got 1 free round trip and a sub from jersey mikes for having to take a ride down the slides after they lost an engine at takeoff and the cabin filled with smoke. I told him that compensation seems fair (not to mention at least you're ok etc) and he seemed to think I was crazy.

I got 25K miles from United when we got just about halfway from DC to Frankfurt and had to return to DC to fix a computer. If it had held on another 10 minutes we would have been past the halfway and it would have been less distance to continue on to Frankfurt.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
I've lurked this thread for a while now, but any general advice for someone who is going to be starting a new job that requires travel 4-6 days a week? I'll be mostly flying out of LAX and BUR, and I'll have to check a bag with tools every time. I have my frequent flier/rental car/hotel rewards accounts set up, and all booking is handled by the office travel coordinator. I'm really looking forward to the free travel and large per diem, but I'm sure I'll soon be extremely jaded! What are some little things I can do to enjoy it as much as possible?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

I've lurked this thread for a while now, but any general advice for someone who is going to be starting a new job that requires travel 4-6 days a week? I'll be mostly flying out of LAX and BUR, and I'll have to check a bag with tools every time. I have my frequent flier/rental car/hotel rewards accounts set up, and all booking is handled by the office travel coordinator. I'm really looking forward to the free travel and large per diem, but I'm sure I'll soon be extremely jaded! What are some little things I can do to enjoy it as much as possible?

Get a second of everything in your bathroom bag (razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, nail clippers, bottle of tylenol, etc) so you don't have to take stuff in and out of your travel bag and can leave the home set at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

Seconding what Midjack said, but also, where possible, focus your travel on one airline/hotel/rental car company. Sounds like you might be traveling enough that it won't matter, as you'll hit status on everyone. But even little status perks can add up over the course of multiple trips.