Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Rodinal goes under many names today, but not the original one. I think the most common is R09, you might also see Adonal.

You are correct:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/849867-REG/Rollei_AGFA_9725_Compard_R09_One_Shot.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

. Even if you have to cut it to 35mm wide with sprokets yourself, you'll be able to get film in 10, 20, 50, and 100 years.
Even if you can get the film, would you be able to develop it? RIP Kodachrome

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I would expect that future developments in film will lean more toward things which can be processed in the home rather than requiring big lab setups. I'd love a color film that I could develop and print using my black and white equipment... it wouldn't have to look amazing, just be simpler than C41.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Kodachrome was ridiculously difficult to develop - there's a reason it was superseded by E-6 films quickly. In the past color films were mostly simple emulsions with complex development processes, now we have complex emulsions with simple development processes. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to imagine someone mixing their own C-41 compatible developer but it's definitely a stretch to imagine someone creating their own K-14 magenta coupler.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

He was working in a fully-equipped lab and not a spare bathroom, but Stephen Frizza in Sydney managed to reverse-engineer K14 and hand-develop Kodachrome a couple years ago. He says it's prohibitively expensive, completely impractical (20 steps, including several re-exposure steps), and not guaranteed to be as archival as the original Kodak formulations, but it can be done.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

ansel autisms posted:

Kodachrome was ridiculously difficult to develop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-14_process#Steps :stare:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

One of the labs in Portland was telling me most labs actually had a full-time on-site chemist if they developed K-14.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ExecuDork posted:

I've finished my move and I'm still quite happy to give this weird old film a shot. Maybe a piece from further towards the center of the spool is less flashed/damaged?

text me

email removed

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 12, 2014

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Edited the film barcode with a key and some nail polish to shoot 10+ years old 400ISO film at 200 in a full auto p&s:

Foster St., 2014 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Canon AE-1 issue: as of exposure 12 on a 36 shot roll, the rewind crank has not yet turned when I work the advance lever. There's basically a 0% chance that it's actually advancing the film, right?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

voodoorootbeer posted:

Canon AE-1 issue: as of exposure 12 on a 36 shot roll, the rewind crank has not yet turned when I work the advance lever. There's basically a 0% chance that it's actually advancing the film, right?

Right.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Took some double exposures in Amsterdam and Seoul with some cheap dutch Hema film 200 and my Canon slr.

Amsterdam-Seoul Double Exposures by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC7793 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Stress marks are sexy, right?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Got some questions for color film folks. Just to feed my curiosity, do you guys develop your own rolls or take 'em to labs? C-41 seems simple enough for me to want to give it a go.

And a more serious question: Do you guys print your color photos? It seems to me that printing a scan would be the easiest way to go about printing color photos. RA-4 printing just seems like a pain in the rear end.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I use a lab and print from scans.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

I use a lab and print from scans.

Same.

Mirrors by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

krnhotwings posted:

Got some questions for color film folks. Just to feed my curiosity, do you guys develop your own rolls or take 'em to labs? C-41 seems simple enough for me to want to give it a go.

And a more serious question: Do you guys print your color photos? It seems to me that printing a scan would be the easiest way to go about printing color photos. RA-4 printing just seems like a pain in the rear end.

Don't bother with RA-4 printing, unless you've got a great darkroom to work with and a lot of patients. But if you don't have a good lab near you or a an expensive one, C41 is a pretty easy process to get constant results from.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

I'm looking for a developer that does well pushing standard grain films several stops and also keeps forever in non-dilute syrup form. I'm using Rodinal right now but from what I've read pushing isn't really it's specialty, and I get really gnarly grain doing box speed non-stand dev with it.

Really what would be nice is a chart with more easily accessible information on developer characteristics that doesn't involve digging through APUG or the massive dev chart. Anybody aware of anything like that?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Ilford Microphen is one to look at, but it is a powder

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

HC-110 in accordion bottles?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ansel autisms posted:

HC-110 in accordion bottles?

HC-110 in any bottle. I have had syrup keep in the Kodak bottle for 7-8 years no problem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spedman posted:

Ilford Microphen is one to look at, but it is a powder

I've had mixed Microphen stock last at least a month in half-full glass bottle. You should get a 1 L pack of the powder and try it out. You can probably get upwards 12 films developed from one liter of stock, depending on how much you dilute it.

And if you like doing stand development, HC-110 works just as well for that as Rodinal.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

krnhotwings posted:

C-41 is a lot easier than it seems at first. I even stopped using submerged heaters.
It's on par with b/w as far as processing time and tools are concerned, the differences being

a) on some kits the developer and bleach are separated stages, but they are shorter in time so nothing much changes

b) the developer can have a much lower shelf life than b/w. I use the Digibase kit and it lasts me one year in non diluted form, two weeks after mixing it up for processing. Bottom line you can do it, but you need either to buy a small kit or shoot a lot (welp I shoot a lot).

I like to scan myself the images. If you happen to non trivially post process your images it's almost non negotiable, because sometimes you're happy with a low res, low color depth scans and sometimes you need all the resolution and flexibility you have access to.

Obligatory sample pic

8th-snype posted:

HC-110 in any bottle. I have had syrup keep in the Kodak bottle for 7-8 years no problem.

Same. Have started using a bottle passed on from a friend (bottle itself was couple of years old) and still using it after one year with no quality degradation.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

How do I shoot/rate this stuff with the filter I have? Would the filter be 4 or 5 stops? Not sure...

The film box says to develop at 200 ISO with the filter... still accurate?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sludge Tank posted:

How do I shoot/rate this stuff with the filter I have? Would the filter be 4 or 5 stops? Not sure...

Related to IR film, a friend of mine gave me a roll of Ilford IR film, am I right in thinking I need a deep red filter for it?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

maxmars posted:

b) the developer can have a much lower shelf life than b/w. I use the Digibase kit and it lasts me one year in non diluted form, two weeks after mixing it up for processing. Bottom line you can do it, but you need either to buy a small kit or shoot a lot (welp I shoot a lot).
I'll probably just shoot and develop in batches using Unicolor's 1L powder kit. Dunno if there's any good reason not to go with powder, but at the rate I shoot it would be more economical for me to go with that kit.

Looks like I'll also need to get a new scanner. I have an Epson 4490, which is alright... It does 35mm and 120, but I'd like to get into 4x5 within the next year or so.

Is the V700/750 series of scanners the go-to option? Or is there a better bang-for-your-buck scanner?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

Can you do anything stupid like sacrifice a single sheet, cut it up into strips, tape into a holder, and try a few times?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Well the stuff was kinda expensive (here) so I thought rather than waste a sheet I would consult the oracle.

But ok.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Sludge Tank posted:

Well the stuff was kinda expensive (here) so I thought rather than waste a sheet I would consult the oracle.

But ok.

I'm interested as well, as a contribution my wild guess would be to expose it at 2 ISO when using that filter and process it for 200 ISO like the box says.

2 ISO would be 64 ISO (because of the black, as in non-red, IR filter) minus 5 stops which I am guessing it's the stopping power of the filter.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

krnhotwings posted:

Is the V700/750 series of scanners the go-to option? Or is there a better bang-for-your-buck scanner?

Yeah get the V700 if you want to scan all those formats, it comes with all the necessary film holders. Don't bother with the V750, it's not necessary at all.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

krnhotwings posted:

I'll probably just shoot and develop in batches using Unicolor's 1L powder kit. Dunno if there's any good reason not to go with powder, but at the rate I shoot it would be more economical for me to go with that kit.

Looks like I'll also need to get a new scanner. I have an Epson 4490, which is alright... It does 35mm and 120, but I'd like to get into 4x5 within the next year or so.

Super budget option is what I have, the Epson 2490. It's pretty slow but it works with VueScan, it'll scan everything up to 4x5 and you can pick one up on eBay for about $30.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I just picked up a Epson 4990 for $40, pretty drat pleased with that, all night 8x10 scans here we come.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

I just picked up a Epson 4990 for $40, pretty drat pleased with that, all night 8x10 scans here we come.

How do you guarantee the flatness of the sheet? Do you put it flat against the glass? Wouldn't that give you newton rings?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I got that anr glass from better scanning that seems to work pretty well

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Santa is strapped posted:

How do you guarantee the flatness of the sheet? Do you put it flat against the glass? Wouldn't that give you newton rings?

I'm no expert but I've been scanning 8x10 directly on the glass of my V700 (as it is designed to do - the "holder" is just a thin plastic guide to place your sheets on the glass) and I haven't noticed any newton rings.

I also haven't had curving issues - smaller films seem to bend more readily. I've never really had a curled 4x5 sheet and I haven't had any 8x10 sheets that weren't dead flat.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

I'm no expert but I've been scanning 8x10 directly on the glass of my V700 (as it is designed to do - the "holder" is just a thin plastic guide to place your sheets on the glass) and I haven't noticed any newton rings.

I also haven't had curving issues - smaller films seem to bend more readily. I've never really had a curled 4x5 sheet and I haven't had any 8x10 sheets that weren't dead flat.

Pretty much this, I've done 4x5 scanning with my v500 by placing the neg directly on the glass and had no issues, other than having to stitch the bloody thing together in Photoshop. Sheet film plays nice as it's never curled in a roll or in a holder.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The real issue with scanning directly on the glass with scanners that aren't meant to is that your lens is focused at the height of the holder. The V700 has two lenses - one focused at the film holder height and one focused at the glass height.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

murp
May 30, 2007
Portra 800

91880036 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

91880026 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

91880016 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

91880015 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Kodak UltraMax, Scratching that small format itch.